The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ex Surrey first XI team

+2
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
6 posters

Go down

Ex Surrey first XI team  Empty Ex Surrey first XI team

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 11 May 2011, 10:52 pm

Here is a squad of ex-Surrey first team players that are currently active with another first class county:

Carberry (Hants)
Newman (Middlesex)
Walters (Glam)
Ali Brown (Notts)
Evans (Warks*) [12th man?]
Rikki Clarke (Warks)
J Batty (Gloucs)
Azhar Mahmood (Kent)
Murtagh (Middlesex)
T Smith* (Middlesex)
Saker* (Kent)
Anyon* (Sussex)

* only played a few first team games for Surrey (and only on loan in a couple of cases)

In my opinion this squad could form a reasonably balanced team, but definitely of Div 2 calibre. Can anyone strengthen (with eligible players)?

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Wed 11 May 2011, 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correction!)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Ex Surrey first XI team  Empty Re: Ex Surrey first XI team

Post by guildfordbat Wed 11 May 2011, 11:53 pm

Corporal - that's a very thorough piece of work.

Can't really improve on it but - particularly given the less than rapturous feedback from some of the Glouce supporters about J Batty - thought you might want to add a couple more wicket keeper / batsmen to the squad: Andrew Hodd of Sussex and Ben Scott of Middlesex. Both were on our books and I believe played a little.

The Lancs seamer Steve Cheetham played for us on loan last season and could also provide back up.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Thu 12 May 2011, 9:22 am

Is Afzaal not playing anywhere Corporal???
And I'm guessing James Benning has faded into the county background, alot of unfulfiiled potential there.
Cheetham??
Ben Scott of Middlesex was with us for a while I think.
David Sales Northants captain never played a first team game for us but was with Surrey from about the age of 10.

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Thu 12 May 2011, 5:24 pm

Captain Piet and the Surrey under17s look like having their work cut out to save the match at Fenner's.
How about treating opponents with a bit of respect and playing a proper side?

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 May 2011, 6:31 pm

Ha. Name one side who plays a full strength team against the universities.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 May 2011, 6:53 pm

Lover overstates his case but I think he has something of a point. I'm surprised Jordan isn't playing at Fenner's - I would have thought this would have been an ideal game to aid his return. Unlike Brown, I'm not aware of him having a current injury.

Whilst some (Arinath, Jewell and van den Bergh) have pretty much taken this opportunity, others have failed badly. Wilson - for whom this game was also made - has registered a pair whilst Dunn, Edwards and King have a combined bowling return of 0 - 251 off 54 overs! Dunn and Edwards are still young (even in cricketing terms) and will rightly get further opportunities. I'm not so sure about King who will be 24 later this season ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 May 2011, 9:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback ! I had forgotten about Cheetham, who I suppose might be a rival to Saker for a place.

I discounted Benning as he wasn't retained by Leics and I have not heard of him signing up with any other county. I was a bit surprised by that as his figures in limited overs for Leics were very respectable. Didn't count Afzaal, Depressed, as again I've not heard of him signing up. Sales was not eligible for my team if he didn't play for Surrey first team.

I was unaware or had forgotten Hodd & Scott connection with Surrey. Even so I think I would play Batty given the high level of support he enjoys from Chris from Stroud et al Wink

Lover - whatever the weaknesses of Surrey's team at least its composition is a good rebuttal of the repeated criticisms from the sadly missed "100 not out" on the 606 board about Surrey's failures to develop our own players!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 May 2011, 9:54 pm

Guildford - I agree today's scoreboard does not look good for King king considering the success spinners have had otherwise.

If Harinath gets a decent score tomorrow I would have thought he must have a good chance of early recall as an opener.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Thu 12 May 2011, 9:59 pm

Current Batty form: 0 off 3 balls.
Not sure about his Bowly or Keepy form though.

What's he doing at 7?
Is this based on past or present glories?

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 May 2011, 10:09 pm

Well, he took 6 catches in the Middlesex innings in the last match, so I assume his keeping is probably still up to scratch.

I think he would still scrape in ahead of Smith and Murtagh in my batting line up - but I think it's fair to say that his next move in the line up would be southwards. Whistle

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 May 2011, 12:13 am

Corporal / Depressed - at the end of last season Afzaal was playing league cricket for a club side in Nottingham. Haven't heard of him since.

Benning was released by Leics at the end of last season. Strangely, he was invited back by Leics a month or so ago for a pre-season friendly and did quite well. There was some talk he would be re-signed although I don't think anything came of it. Very disappointing for such potential not to develop.

Pleased to see Saker get a fivefer today even though his team were hammered.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Fri 13 May 2011, 11:44 am

by guildfordbat Yesterday at 6:53 pm

.Lover overstates his case but I think he has something of a point. I'm surprised Jordan isn't playing at Fenner's .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing like overstating my case to make a point GB.
I don't expect Surrey to put out a full strength side,but a bowling attack with little or no first team experience was taking a huge risk,indeed why no Jordan, and as for the batting,Roy and Ramps have had very little cricket lately,surely at least one of them might have played.
Sadly it's because Counties treat these games with such apparent contempt,that they are too lose their first-class status,and I do not exclude Middlesex from that critiscism.
The MCC have done much to encourage and give their support to The University Centres of Cricket Excellence,but to downgrade their fixtures in the future is hardly likely to see an increase in standards.

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Fri 13 May 2011, 3:39 pm

Gloucs Batty update:
1st innings reminder: 0 off 3
2nd innings update: 0 off 10
Please take him back.

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Fri 13 May 2011, 4:36 pm

When 's the last time Cambridge or any University side beat a first class county by such a margin as happened today

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 May 2011, 4:40 pm

Chris - no doubt the Corporal will consider your request this evening. Whistle

Meanwhile, I've just noticed that our former keeper conceded 23 byes in Northants' innings. Hardly his finest match, I grant you ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 May 2011, 4:50 pm

Lover - I don't know but am sure you are going to tell us ....

🤦

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Fri 13 May 2011, 5:17 pm

I wish I could GB,but too much like hard work,pre 1939 perhaps.
How much longer can Grizzly hold on?
Me guess he could soon be heading the same way as Johnny Morris,rumour has it that Alec Stewart ready to step up to the job.

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 May 2011, 9:56 pm

Lover - embarrassment indeed against Cambs - but Surrey had just won four matches on the trot (admittedly mostly against weaker sides). Seems a rather unlikely scenario at the moment for Adams to get the heave ho. May well be a possibility if we again end up in a poor position in the cc and don't do much in ltd overs....

Chris - would that we could - unfortunately the vacancy is now filled! But I would argue that 0 from 10 balls shows a commendable measure of application in playing yourself in - no rash shots in attempt to get off the mark..... I think Gloucs just need to be a bit patient - when you move to distant lands like Gloucs it obviously does take a player time to settle.... thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 May 2011, 10:59 pm

Corporal - if you are still around, have a look at the Duke of Milan's recent post on the KP thread of the wallpaper site. Be quick, it won't be there long! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 May 2011, 11:13 pm

Indeed - I think the Duke must have consumed something which disagreed with his constitution Shocked Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 May 2011, 11:20 pm

Yes, indeed. I thought it was down to Sir Winston to tell it as it is!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 14 May 2011, 7:26 pm

Just to add my 2p to the team selection debate, I have no problem with counties picking the youngsters for these games. There is a LOT of cricket played in the county game and absolutely nothing to be gained from your regular first team players competing in an extra game that effectively means nothing. I could see a case for Jordan playing but he has been playing regular 2nd XI cricket and will be in the first team quite a lot during the rest of the season.

If a regular player is out of form then it may be a good idea for them to play in these matches but that's about it.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down