The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

preseason/freindly results and form

+28
BigTrevsbigmac
Sgt_Pooly
maestegmafia
yappysnap
Jhamer25
wales606
The Saint
bsando
21st Century Schizoid Man
VinceWLB
funnyExiledScot
profitius
ChequeredJersey
HammerofThunor
Notch
Jenifer McLadyboy
Ozzy3213
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Geordie
George Carlin
formerly known as Sam
HongKongCherry
Hound of Harrow
munkian
stnick88
Sam
ScarletSpiderman
Brendan
32 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

preseason/freindly results and form - Page 2 Empty preseason/freindly results and form

Post by Brendan Tue 20 Aug 2013 - 15:15

First topic message reminder :

Just thought we can make a topic where all the preseason match results to see how each team is doing and who might be suprises at the stsrt of the season.

Scarlets 15 - 23 Exeter
Worcester 17 - 21 Cardiff Blues
Racing Metro 40 - 28 Quins
Quins 40 - 15 London Scottish
Nottingham 10-44 London Irish
Wasps - London Irish
Connacht 7-31 Wasps
Toulon 41 Glaws 17
Munster v Glaws
Montpellier 52-12 Tigers
Newcastle 23-10 Connacht
Saracens 61-3 Cornish Pirates
Wasps 32-12 London Irish
Jersey 7-69 Leicester
Ospreys 23-19 Worcester
Ulster 21-19 Leinster
Moseley 32-38 Northampton
Exeter 51-7 Bristol
NG Dragons 22-20 Bath
Blues 45-24 Sale
Munster 28-17 Gloucester
Northampton 24-6 Edinburgh
Zebre 28 - 5 Mogliano
Ospreys 23 - 19 Worcester

Last edited by Brendan on Mon 26 Aug 2013 - 12:56; edited 9 times in total

Brendan

Back to top Go down

preseason/freindly results and form - Page 2 Empty Re: preseason/freindly results and form

Post by Geordie Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 10:07

How near or far away from your strongest side is that Ozzy?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

preseason/freindly results and form - Page 2 Empty Re: preseason/freindly results and form

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 10:11

Difficult to say if I am honest GF, as with so many new faces we don't yet know how Brian Smith will go.  At a guess 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 and 13 are definite first choices in their positions.  back three is anyone's guess at the moment.  Sheridan will most likely start the season at 12 as it is unlikely Sa will be match fit.  Yapp will be first choice loosehead I imagine, with O'Leary the starting 9. Back row I would say is likely to be Cowan, Treviranus and Hala'ufia.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 10:21

I'd say thats roughly a half strength side

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 12:07

Harlequins have today announced the side that will play Glasgow Warriors in their final pre-season match leading into the 2013-14 season.
Mike Brown starts at full-back and is joined in the back three by Tom Williams and Ugo Monye. George Lowe is named in the centres, alongside Jordan Turner-Hall, while Danny Care and Nick Evans form the half backs.

In the forwards, Joe Marler, Joe Gray and Will Collier make up the front row, with George Merrick and George Robson completing the front five.

The side is captained by openside flanker, Chris Robshaw, who signed a contract extension this week which will keep him at the club until the end of the 2015-16 season. Robshaw is joined in the back row by Tom Guest and Nick Easter.

Among the replacements, Paul Doran-Jones, Sam Twomey, Dave Ward and Paul Sackey are named.

Harlequins Team

15. Mike Brown
14. Tom Williams
13. George Lowe
12. Jordan Turner-Hall
11. Ugo Monye
10. Nick Evans
9. Danny Care

1. Joe Marler
2. Joe Gray
3. Will Collier
4. George Merrick
5. George Robson
6. Tom Guest
7. Chris Robshaw (C)
8. Nick Easter

Replacements

16. Rob Buchanan
17. Mark Lambert
18. Paul Doran Jones
19. Sam Twomey
20. Luke Wallace
21. Karl Dickson
22. Ben Botica
23. Matt Hopper
24. Maurie Fa'asavalu
25. Dave Ward
26. Charlie Walker
27. Tom Casson
28. Paul Sackey
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 12:15

You can never read much into pre season form. Teams are experimenting and some teams are fitter and more up to speed than others.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 12:18

Glaws side to play Munster:
Steph Reynolds; Charlie Sharples, Tim Molenaar, Ryan Mills, James Simpson-Daniel; Jonny Bentley, Jimmy Cowan; Dan Murphy, Dan George, Yann Thomas; Elliott Stooke, Will James; Matt Cox, Andy Hazell (capt), Gareth Evans

Replacements:

James Gibbons, Koree Britton, Rupert Harden, Lua Lokotui, Akapusi Qera, Sione Kalamafoni, Dan Robson, Billy Burns, Mike Tindall, Drew Cheshire

I won't expect a victory from that team, but excellent to see so many returning ahead of time from injury, particularly Jimmy Cowan, Sinbad and Elliott Stooke.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 12:24

Very strong Quins team, not quite full strength but close to. Hope to see Walker on
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 13:30

Ozzy3213 wrote:I'll start getting excited about Lawes 'Big Hits' when he makes one on somebody who isn't a 12 stone back just about to shift the ball on.  When he nails an 18 stone forward running at him with the ball, I'll be impressed.
To be honest I don't give a Poopie about 'big hits'. I prefer the cover tackles he does when he just scythes the player down. Doesn't make the highlight reel though. THAT's why his defence was considered good. Not for flattening half backs

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 13:55

HoT, I've got to be honest, I've never seen anyone raving about his cover defence, only about him smashing people.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 14:15

So Lawes smashes a player half his size and everyone thinks its great. Flat track bully comes to mind.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 15:48

I'll try get up those results today

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 15:55

A fairly fresh-faced Glasgow team to face Quins:

Glasgow Warriors

15 Peter Murchie

14 Tommy Seymour
13 Mark Bennett
12 Gabriel Ascarate
11 Byron McGuigan

10 Scott Wight
9 Ali Price

1 Gordon Reid
2 Pat MacArthur
3 Ed Kalman
4 Jonny Gray
5 Tom Ryder
6 James Eddie
7 Chris Fusaro (Captain)
8 Richie Vernon

Substitutes: Kevin Bryce, Jon Welsh, Moray Low, Tim Swinson, Will Bordill, Tyrone Holmes, Henry Pyrgos, Finn Russell, Rory Hughes, Sean Lamont

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 16:17

I think that might be the understatement of the week Asbo. Only MacArthur and Fozzy could be said to be first team starters. It will be something of a long night for the lads given that Quins effectively have their first team out and playing at home.

Shame. Hopefully we can still be competitive in phases. Tiny Tiny Barry trying to haul Ugo to the ground should be worth the ticket price by itself.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 17:22

George Carlin wrote:I think that might be the understatement of the week Asbo. Only MacArthur and Fozzy could be said to be first team starters. It will be something of a long night for the lads given that Quins effectively have their first team out and playing at home.

Shame. Hopefully we can still be competitive in phases. Tiny Tiny Barry trying to haul Ugo to the ground should be worth the ticket price by itself.
You are forgetting angel 

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 17:42

It's a pretty strong team for a pre-season game though? A lot of those guys would be in your matchday squad week in, week out. Most will expect to be getting decent gametime this year.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 18:31

Ozzy3213 wrote:HoT, I've got to be honest, I've never seen anyone raving about his cover defence, only about him smashing people.
That's because most people are idiots. I'm happy to include myself in that. But what impressed me with Lawes is his work rate around the field. The only area I've thought he was relatively weak is carrying. And Saints said early on they weren't looking at bulking him up too early. He makes tackles, hits rucks and works mauls. That's what does best and that's what does a lot of.

Big hits make highlights and make strange things happen in Stuart Barnes trousers but mean very little in reality.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 19:38

Zebre have won against Mogliano 28-5, Mogliano won the Italian championship last year and were playing at home.

Zebre have won all 4 of their friendly games.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 20:01

Zebre finished quite strongly last season so reckon they will claim victory over someone this season in the Rabo !

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 21:13

Mogliano are a poor side though. Check their results from last season's Amlin.

Dragons just beat Bath 22-20 at Dave Parade. Friendly or not, I'm pretty pleased with that. Nice to keep the positivity going that's currently around the place.

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 21:28

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:A fairly fresh-faced Glasgow team to face Quins:

Glasgow Warriors

15 Peter Murchie

14 Tommy Seymour
13 Mark Bennett
12 Gabriel Ascarate
11 Byron McGuigan

10 Scott Wight
9 Ali Price

1 Gordon Reid
2 Pat MacArthur
3 Ed Kalman
4 Jonny Gray
5 Tom Ryder
6 James Eddie
7 Chris Fusaro (Captain)
8 Richie Vernon

Substitutes: Kevin Bryce, Jon Welsh, Moray Low, Tim Swinson, Will Bordill, Tyrone Holmes, Henry Pyrgos, Finn Russell, Rory Hughes, Sean Lamont
Considering how many 1st team players are missing, that is still a pretty strong side. Looking forward to seeing ow Glasgow get on this season, they have some really decent players.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 21:45

Notch wrote:It's a pretty strong team for a pre-season game though? A lot of those guys would be in your matchday squad week in, week out. Most will expect to be getting decent gametime this year.
Er. It's difficult to agree with that statement Notch, but I agree that mixed bags of this nature are standard for first pre-season games and as Bsando mentions below, the fact that the team should still hopefully be competitive says a lot about the strength of squad that Toonie has built up.

If you look at halfbacks, each of Price and Wight are at best fourth choice in their positions (behind Niko, Cusiter and Pyrgos and Weir, Jackson and Horne respectively). The only circumstances in which McGuigan would ever get a wing slot would be if there was an Exocet missile strike on the Scotstoun training ground which took out DTH, Hogg, Maitland, Seymour and Lamont at the same time. In the centres, Ascarate is indeed a Puma and Bennett is indeed a prodigy but both are relatively unknown quantities. None of the tight five would usually start with the exception of MacArthur and even then it's a toss up between him and Hall at the moment. Eddie played a handful of games only last season and comparing Vernon to Strauss is a little like comparing Ashton Kutcher to Dustin Hoffman.

That said, for all of my moaning and pre-emptive excuse making, it will be a good run out for those younger lads. Am very keen to see what Holmes and Bordill can do as loosies. Hopefully it will be a good one.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 21:50

HammerofThunor wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:HoT, I've got to be honest, I've never seen anyone raving about his cover defence, only about him smashing people.
That's because most people are idiots. I'm happy to include myself in that. But what impressed me with Lawes is his work rate around the field. The only area I've thought he was relatively weak is carrying. And Saints said early on they weren't looking at bulking him up too early. He makes tackles, hits rucks and works mauls. That's what does best and that's what does a lot of.

Big hits make highlights and make strange things happen in Stuart Barnes trousers but mean very little in reality.
Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 22:01

HammerofThunor wrote:

That's why I've always seen Lawes as a 6. Do you think his work rate is superior to that of Croft's?

Risca Rev wrote:Mogliano are a poor side though. Check their results from last season's Amlin.

Dragons just beat Bath 22-20 at Dave Parade. Friendly or not, I'm pretty pleased with that. Nice to keep the positivity going that's currently around the place.
That's a good result considering it's the only pre-season friendly. What was the Bath squad like?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 22:05

Ulster 21-19 Leinster

Dramatic late try to win it for Ulster after having been behind for most of the match, but to be honest part of that is we turned down all but one of the kickable penalties we had to practice lineout moves. We made 12 changes at half-time too so more than a hint of pre-season experimentation about this fixture but by and large it was a pretty competitive game against a very well-drilled Leinster side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23797912

I think both Leinster and Ulster are looking good in terms of strength in depth. Leinster very, very sharp already at the breakdown. Both teams will be relatively happy with the hit-out. If anything Ulster looked the rustier of the two teams in terms of unforced errors and were much slower to get to the breakdown. What we do have is more power up front.

Last edited by Notch on Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 22:08; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 22:06

Cardiff Blues were 3 - 17 down to Sale after 20 minutes

9 - 17 at halftime after Sale had been reduced to 14 men for 10 minutes,

At halftime Rhys Patchell replaced Gareth Davies at 10 for the Blues

Final score

Cardiff Blues 45 - 24 Sale Shark

One of the biggest game changing substitutions I have seen, some excellent kicks to the corner, so excellent short pass passes and one of the cheekiest drop goals I have seen.

Fantastic game for the pre-season
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 22:08

I didn't know Cardiff played tonight, thats a bluddy good win as well as the Dragons.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 22:09

Depth at 10 for Blues doesn't sound good. Patchell may or may not get picked for Wales in AI, however isn't he still available for the U20s? At least Blues seem to be in decent form early on. Not bad with such an average team.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 22:24

The Saint wrote:Depth at 10 for Blues doesn't sound good. Patchell may or may not get picked for Wales in AI, however isn't he still available for the U20s? At least Blues seem to be in decent form early on. Not bad with such an average team.
Don't think he will be eligible next season

He is so clearly our first choice 10 that I doubt he would go with the U20 anyway

He deserves to play for Wales, but god I hope we keep hold of him if he is just going to be carrying Biggar and Preistland's kit.

If Patchell get a long term injury, our season is over.

We have nobody else who is close to regional level, let alone Patchell's level. Gareth Davies proved that tonight, his kicking from hand got completely shown up, we will probably be better off throwing in the academy kid Will Thomas.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 22:26

You know Patchell is a bit injury prone too.. Maybe some 10 recruitment might be wise. Also seems like a daft decision for you not to offer Tovey a renewed contract.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 22:29

The Saint wrote:You know Patchell is a bit injury prone too.. Maybe some 10 recruitment might be wise. Also seems like a daft decision for you not to offer Tovey a renewed contract.
Tovey was under contract for this season, but he requested a move back to the Dragons and Blues let him leave on a free transfer.

We are still looking for a 10 apparently, if we don't find one we are in big trouble.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 23:08

The Saint wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

That's why I've always seen Lawes as a 6. Do you think his work rate is superior to that of Croft's?
I think he's a bit of a half way house. To be honest I think when he hits his late 20s (only 24 now) he will probably bulk up and become a more standard lock.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 7:27

Crazy to think how young he still is. Attwood is actually older then him isn't he?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 7:58

"That's why I've always seen Lawes as a 6. Do you think his work rate is superior to that of Croft's?"

No, very different players. The way Croft covers as an additional sweeper and closes down the outside channels quickly is something Lawes can't do. Lawes is big and cumbersome and his footwork leaves him vunerable to being stepped. See the 6N game vs France.

If he wanted to convert to the backrow he should work hard on his carrying (which is a touch weak) and go to 8. Unless of course England decide to change what they want from their 6.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 10:17

Sam I think you're the first person to ever call Lawes cumbersome! To be honest I'd say its more a case of him focussing on making a hit and forgetting his positioning then being cumbersome, and there are plenty of flying centres that are guilty of that too.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 10:45

formerly known as Sam wrote:"That's why I've always seen Lawes as a 6. Do you think his work rate is superior to that of Croft's?"

No, very different players. The way Croft covers as an additional sweeper and closes down the outside channels quickly is something Lawes can't do. Lawes is big and cumbersome and his footwork leaves him vunerable to being stepped. See the 6N game vs France.

If he wanted to convert to the backrow he should work hard on his carrying (which is a touch weak) and go to 8. Unless of course England decide to change what they want from their 6.
So what does he add at 2nd row? I've never seen him live up to the hype that England fans give him. He's a good athlete no doubt about that, I just don't think he's a good 2nd row. Guys like Tom Palmer were far better in that position but never seemed to get as much recognition.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 11:24

Yappy there's a huge difference between pace and agility. Lawes footwork is not great and whilst quick off the mark any shift in direction sees his momentum drop equally. There's an awful lot of him to be fair and he enters the contact area very quickly.

At second row he offers a decent lineout option (needs to learn to call a lineout though), a fair work rate and big tackles. Needs to improve his maul work and impact in the tight if he wants to be an international lock.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 11:50

Latest news in is that the Worcester bus caught fire on the M5 en route to their match with the Ospreys Headscratch. There are no casualties though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 12:50

I've heard all passengers are safe on the side of the road. A strange one that, those coaches are normally pretty expensive units.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 14:54

Glad to hear all on that coach are ok.

Blydi miserably wet here in Wycombe.

Sad

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 15:07

Tom Homee crocked taking a kick. Very bad luck.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 15:08

Hound of Harrow wrote:Tom Homee crocked taking a kick. Very bad luck.
Back three depth to be tested early season then.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 15:29

Tigers XV: Logo Youngs Cole Deacon Parling Mafi Salvi Crane Mele Flood Thompstone BowdenGoneva Hamilton Morris.

That's pretty close to the first choice pack though the backline is a bit mix and match. Parling and Goneva have gone over for early tries.

Following up last weekends wins over Clermont and Munster at Oval Park the Tigers academy have beaten the Ulster under 20s 30-0 in a 1pm kick off.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 15:54

Wasps 13 Irish 0 at half time.

From what I can glean from various sources at the game, we had the best of the open 20 minutes and missed two penalties.  Since then Wasps on top and have taken the chance of 1 try from a rolling maul and a couple of penalties at the breakdown.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 16:08

Conceding to a Wasps rolling maul is not a good sign going into the season Oz. What happened to Homer?

Tigers are 22-7 up at half time with Parling, Goneva, Mafi and Salvi getting the tries for Tigers. Drew Locke a new signing for Jersey (from Glaws) got their try.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 16:19

The way Homer went down, a groin or hamstring.

20-7 with 15 to go.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 16:23

We have a fairly lightweight back row out there, so conceding a rolling maul try doesn't surprise me.  Nor does the penalty try we've conceded from a scrum.  Again from what I can gather from other peoples updates, we scrummaged well first half, but with the entire front row replaced and Harris, Stevens and Hagan on we have started to struggle a bit.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 16:27

23-12 to Wasps now with about 10 minutes to play.  2 tries a piece, but we've missed 3 penalties and a conversion and they have nailed all of theirs.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 16:32

30-12 Oz with 5 to go. 2nd pen try. Wasps player clotheslined 3m out.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 16:54

Quine have beaten Glasgow 19-16. From what I. An tell it started very well for us with a lot of endeavour and a very well worked team try. And then either the weather got worse or Glasgow picked up their game and we went off the boil but it wad nearly all pens to Glasgow from then in. Hopper scored late in the game to win it for us.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 17:04

Changes of a fairly wholesale variety for Tigers at half time but tries from Goneva, Lamb x2, Gibson, Thompstone, Mele and Purdy give the full time score of 69 - 7. Healthy score line in the end.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next