The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it right to give the putt???

+14
Tiler76
George1507
SmithersJones
super_realist
McLaren
beninho
Shotrock
Davie
barragan
goldwolf
MontysMerkin
golfermartin
Bob_the_Job
oneorthree
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is it right to give the putt??? - Page 2 Empty Is it right to give the putt???

Post by oneorthree Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Id like opinions on this.........

I recently played a scratch match and was put out last in the afternoon singles. I holed a 20footer to stay 4 down through 10 even though I was only level par gross. My opponent was playing brilliant golf and I was just hanging in there at that point.
I got going over the next 6 holes with an eagle and 2 birdies to get it to 1 down on the 17th green. I had a 15 footer for birdie and when my opponent thinned his bunker shot through the green he told me to pick it up. (All Square)

We had a good bit of banter on the way round and the game was played in a great spirit (I had advised him of a local rule giving him a free drop on our 4th, which he won. He had spent a long time looking and eventually finding my ball up the 7th which I won) Before we got to the 18th tee I shook his hand and said "whatever the result, iv had a great game with you and really enjoyed it" he said the same and we waited while the green cleared (par3)

About 40-50 people in total were around the 18th green so we knew the result was obviously relying on our match. (bit of a grudge match between our clubs as well!)
I hit it to 40feet, he hit it to about 2.5 feet. We got to the green and I holed my putt for birdie resulting in my team getting a bit over excited.
As I picked my ball out of the hole I also picked up his marker, conceding the putt and halving our match. We shook hands and his team went mad celebrating while mine were fairly quiet....
Our 1/2 meant that the opposition had won the match by 1/2 a point and claimed promotion.

Now....... I gave him that putt (and said this to him at the time) as I believed a draw was the right result. Our better ball score was something like -9 and it was a game I felt neither of us deserved to lose.
I didn't actually think he would miss from 2.5 feet but I didn't actually consider it at the time (some say it was a bit longer but I think 2.5feet is about right) all I thought was that in the spirit of our game a draw was the right result.

In peoples opinion should I (and would you) have given the putt on this basis..... I also didn't know the match score at the time.

A couple of others disagreed with what I had did and said that you should always make them putt out if a game is tied but I disagree.

I welcome your comments........

oneorthree

Back to top Go down

Is it right to give the putt??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it right to give the putt???

Post by incontinentia Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:36 pm

super_realist wrote:Quite often I just walk up and knock those sort of putts in one handed on the move. Hole most of them.
Some of 9 chins habits rubbing off on you soup?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Is it right to give the putt??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it right to give the putt???

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Just counted his chins and could only see 4. Is this the sort of hyperbole we have come to expect here? If so I expect that soups really uses 3 hands to knock those tiddlers in.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Still interested to know which course we're talking about here.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2