The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The dirtiest fights you've ever seen

+7
TRUSSMAN66
ShahenshahG
horizontalhero
Union Cane
Strongback
Rowley
88Chris05
11 posters

Go down

The dirtiest fights you've ever seen Empty The dirtiest fights you've ever seen

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 12:35

Afternoon fellas, all set for the bank holiday weekend? If you'd like to spend it watching some proper, quality football, then tune in to Sky Sports this Sunday afternoon and feast your eyes on the Tricky Trees of Nottingham! Just saying....

Back to boxing now. We've all got our favourite fights, or fights which we consider the best / greatest we've seen, or fights which were major disappointments. But what I want to know is this - what are the dirtiest, filthiest and most foul-filled fights you've seen? Fights in which one, or preferably both fighters bent the rules as far as they possibly could (too far in some cases) and where the dark arts were truly mastered, if you can call it that, throughout.

I'll get the ball rolling with some of my own suggestions, and then see what else you lot can come up with.

Jeff Fenech's Featherweight title defence against Marcos Villasana always stands out, for me. Two fighters who really traded on their hard man personas, and while Fenech emerged victorious from this incredible fight, he did so with a fractured cheek bone and a broken hand (with the other hand also damaged, apparently). Fenech had Villasana in a head lock multiple times, somehow without having a single point deducted. On the other hand, Villasana's constant punches to Fenech's 'nad region earned him a point deduction in round five, and in round six, when he tried the same tactic again, Fenech literally tried to shove referee Joe Cortez aside to hand out his own brand of punishment to his Mexican opponent, before trying to knock him spark out when they resumed as Villasana, in a rare moment of sportsmanship, actually extended his glove to the Australian to apologise.

A fight which went at an almost unreal pace, but which was also incredibly dirty!

Another Featherweight contest, this time between Freddie Norwood and Dereck Gainer, takes some beating, too. Norwood's ability to rabbit punch and hit low, as well as practically fireman lifting Gainer up over his shoulder and almost throwing him through the ropes and in to the ringside seats, was only matched by Gainer's ability to body slam his opponent to the deck before pushing his glove in to his neck as he hauled himself up, and knee him in the groin as they got in to exchanges on the ropes. Both men visitied the canvas multiple times, and usually it was nothing to do with a punch landing. The fight ended in pure disgrace when two cynical low blows by Gainer (who was behind on the cards) cracked two huge uppercuts in to Norwood's town halls which the referee somehow didn't see.....Or maybe he just chose not to!

Others which spring to mind are Hopkins-Echols II, Skelton-Williams I and Pep-Saddler IV.

So, anymore to add? Which fights stick out in your mind as the dirtiest and most foul-filled you've seen? Any suggestions, let me know.

Cheers everyone.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

The dirtiest fights you've ever seen Empty Re: The dirtiest fights you've ever seen

Post by Rowley Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 12:46

Golota Bowe, take your pick which one. Would have to imagine Bowe was in some discomfort after both of those.

Obviously never saw it but would have to imagine Greb vs Norfolk would have been quite something to behold. Greb was noted for his ability in the dark arts and in Norfolk he met a guy only too happy to give as good as he got.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

The dirtiest fights you've ever seen Empty Re: The dirtiest fights you've ever seen

Post by Guest Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 12:55

Gotta be Tyson/ Holyfield. Doesn't get much worse.
Tyson/Botha where Mike tried the break the guy's arm.
Hatton/Maussa when Carlos opened up to cuts on Ricky with blatant headbutt's

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 13:02

Hopkins Vs Winky comes to mind. Lots of head butts, holding/hitting and punches thrown on the break and after the bell. I think Hopkins is the most cynical fighter in recent times and he gets away with it.

I posted a video of Harry Wills a couple of days ago and he scores a knock down hitting on the break. Apparently he was well known for this and has disqualifications for it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 13:05

Anything involving Frank Bruno and his habit of holding and cuffing behind the head. Scarily though, a slight cuff from Frank could probably produce damaging consequences in all but the studiest of individuals.

There's a fight with Andre Ward where he gets put on the deck illegally and his opponent practically drops on him. Think it was some crazy redneck guy with a mullet

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 13:05

Buchanan Duran, ended by an alleged knee to the plums from Hands of Stone, although TV evidence is inconclusive. It was certainly a low blow, and should have been a DQ.

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 13:05

I read Greb would sink his teeth in during clinches. You took your life in your hands going into a clinch with him, thumbing with the old glovers, back handers, holding and hitting, butts whatever.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 13:06

In a strange way it's easy to forget about Tyson-Holyfield II in terms of being dirty, because it was such a short fight. But when one guy leaves the ring with part of his ear missing and the other has a cut over the eye because of a clash of heads, all within nine minutes of action, you know something's gone seriously wrong.

Kid Norfolk against Greb must have been something, Rowley. Both ended up partially blinded as a result of that fight, as you know, and Greb went on to say that Norfolk was the only man who'd managed to better him in the arts of gouging, thumbing, kidney punching and grazing. No mean feat!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 13:18

Duran v Moore is bound to get a mention, but I remember it more as a mugging than a dirty fight- esp as the accusation that Duran intentionally thumbed Moore is nigh on impossible to prove- as are most thumbing incidents, I'd challenge anyone to actually spot a thumbing in real time.
Foreman landing a right on the back of Fraziers head was pretty ugly, but never really gets too much consideration as it gets lost in amongst the five other knockdowns
Ali v Terrel was also pretty ugly if not dirty.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 13:26

Yeah, I've never really been able to spot where / when exactly the thumbing took place in Duran-Moore either, HH. Although once Moore's eye started to close up, Roberto was definitely a bit crafty and cynical in using his head to graze it, I think.

I think Foreman got away with a fair bit, to be honest. The shot to the back of the head as you mention, the way he practically bench pressed his opponents off him sometimes, and of course the blow he landed on an already floored Roman. People have definitely been disqualified for less.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 14:02

Saddler vs the filipino flash - got owned in the first and second one was going the same way according to reports until Saddler Hopkinned him

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 14:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRI4min_7P8 its back up - can someone download them before they get taken down

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 14:45

Old Grandpa used to say that Henry Armstrong was one of the dirtiest fighters he'd ever seen he also used to wax lyrical about the tme Fritzie zivic completely beasted him with dirty tactics in their match...........and doubled the dose..

So I'll go Fritzie Zivic v Henry Armstrong............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 14:55

Fritzie was apparently the absolute master in the dark arts. Robinson famously said he learned more in 24 rounds with Zivic than in every other fight he had.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 21:22

Frankie Duarte vs Alberto davila had more elbows, heads and forearms to last a lifetime...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 21:33

Abraham v Miranda

Just look at the state Abraham was in after that fight.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 23:26

Ward was pretty dirty against Kessler. Odd as he didn't really need to be.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 23:32

Good call JBW, Ward was filthy in that fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 23:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Puxp2Lv6QU

Although the video may have been made by Froch himself, you can't argue with some of the footage. The butt in round 10 was disgraceful.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 8:36

More recently id say Fury vs Cunningham.

Fury literally jumped on his back, headbutted, low shots, then to actually finish the fight, he barraged him into the corner, left forearmed him in the face and smashed him.

I was genuinely shocked by how much he got away with in that fight and the ending was a disgrace.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 10:00

BRUNO VS TYSON 1

Bruno did nothing but rabbit punch the whole fight...hold and smacked Tyson from behind....

Tyson did nothing but smash his elbows into Frank's head and smacked him blatantly when he was down..

But Steele (king's cabin boy) only saw Bruno's infractions...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 11:20

I think its probably why he struggled with Holyfield. He used his elbows to jar/move his opponents back and against Evander he came up against someone who was twice as dirty and willing to grit it out - sort of smothered him. tyson at his best might have had the chance to overcome it - post prison didn't.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 14:25

The last Saddler-Pep fight has a claim to be the dirtiest title fight in history. People think of Willie as the ultimate stylist, but he had no real choice but to be drawn into a foulfest by Saddler's highly successful strategy. The referee could have legitimately disqualified either of them.

On a slightly different note, I've seen some commentators wonder whether the various Saddler-Pep fights might show, if not a blueprint, then a possible plan for how to beat Floyd Mayweather. All that's required is a welterweight of around 6'2" with a longer reach than Marciano, a willingness to rough Floyd up and the ability to hit concussively hard with either fist!

Pity Hearns has retired, really....

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 20:17

captain carrantuohil wrote:The last Saddler-Pep fight has a claim to be the dirtiest title fight in history. People think of Willie as the ultimate stylist, but he had no real choice but to be drawn into a foulfest by Saddler's highly successful strategy. The referee could have legitimately disqualified either of them.

On a slightly different note, I've seen some commentators wonder whether the various Saddler-Pep fights might show, if not a blueprint, then a possible plan for how to beat Floyd Mayweather. All that's required is a welterweight of around 6'2" with a longer reach than Marciano, a willingness to rough Floyd up and the ability to hit concussively hard with either fist!

Pity Hearns has retired, really....
Everyone expected Guarrero to do it and he failed.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down