The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RaboDirect to pull plug on Pro12 sponsorship

+11
Scrumdown
nathan
Cari
formerly known as Sam
IanBru
21st Century Schizoid Man
GLove39
VinceWLB
RDW
thebandwagonsociety
profitius
15 posters

Go down

RaboDirect to pull plug on Pro12 sponsorship Empty RaboDirect to pull plug on Pro12 sponsorship

Post by profitius Fri 23 Aug 2013, 1:54 pm

Article here: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/rabodirect-to-pull-plug-on-pro12-sponsorship-1.1503563

Its very strange but not really a big deal. RaboDirect's sponsorship was concentrating on the Irish market mainly which doesn't exactly maximise resources. I'm sure with the league being on sky now that means it has a bigger potential audience so a new sponsor should be no problem.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

RaboDirect to pull plug on Pro12 sponsorship Empty Re: RaboDirect to pull plug on Pro12 sponsorship

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 23 Aug 2013, 2:49 pm

We could take this opportunity to call it the European Championship and have playoffs at the end of the season for the European Cup. Maybe Heineken might sponsor it.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

RaboDirect to pull plug on Pro12 sponsorship Empty Re: RaboDirect to pull plug on Pro12 sponsorship

Post by profitius Fri 23 Aug 2013, 3:29 pm

Theres a number of theories floating about. One is Celtic rugby wanted to end it because they've a bigger deal lined up. That would make sense considering the sky deal. Also if there is no HEC then the Pro 12 will take on more significance and be a more attractive competition to sponsor.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Aug 2013, 3:32 pm

As long as another deal is being lined up I don't think it is too big a problem. And anyway, 'Rabbo Direct Pro 12' is a bit of a mouthfull!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 23 Aug 2013, 3:57 pm

When does the deal with the Italians end? i don't want them out mind you.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 4:01 pm

A new sponsor you say? I'd love for Fairy Liquid to step in. Out with the, "Rabo direct pro 12". In with the 'Fairy League'!

The best player from each game will win the title of "Fairy of the match" award. And no more champagne or little statues instead a bottle of the afore mentioned product will be given to that player.

And the end of season award ceremony will be a great affair as players wait anxiously to discover who's been named the 'best fairy of the year'.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 23 Aug 2013, 7:47 pm

GLove - Edinburgh would win that particular league - Visser or Ford player of the year Whistle 

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 23 Aug 2013, 8:19 pm

I'm going to write to the UK's foremost human rights and law reform organisations to highlight their obvious sponsorship potential.

I can see it now, writ large on a kind of shield-shaped trophy:

"JUSTICE LEAGUE"
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Aug 2013, 9:10 am

Perhaps Rabodirect don't feel they have had the desired exposure and any renewal of the deal is likely to have a significant increase in price due to it being televised on Sky going forward.

The Pro 12 need to be careful they don't price themselves out the market though as I understand it corporate sponsorship is falling in the current financial climate.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 26 Aug 2013, 5:50 pm

Isn't Rabo Direct a Dutch company anyway? I thought it odd that they would sponsor an event specific to the Celtic countries when they took over. I would agree that it could be anything to do with Sky buying the rights to some P-12 (or whatever we're going to call it!) matches from next season. Be interesting to see who takes over anyway. I wonder if Guinness/Brains or another company based in a Celtic country like that will?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 26 Aug 2013, 9:09 pm

Cari wrote:Isn't Rabo Direct a Dutch company anyway?  I thought it odd that they would sponsor an event specific to the Celtic countries when they took over.  I would agree that it could be anything to do with Sky buying the rights to some P-12 (or whatever we're going to call it!) matches from next season. Be interesting to see who takes over anyway. I wonder if Guinness/Brains or another company based in a Celtic country like that will?
It all depends on their customer base, what does the company actually do?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 26 Aug 2013, 9:14 pm

nathan wrote:
Cari wrote:Isn't Rabo Direct a Dutch company anyway?  I thought it odd that they would sponsor an event specific to the Celtic countries when they took over.  I would agree that it could be anything to do with Sky buying the rights to some P-12 (or whatever we're going to call it!) matches from next season. Be interesting to see who takes over anyway. I wonder if Guinness/Brains or another company based in a Celtic country like that will?
It all depends on their customer base, what does the company actually do?
Rabo Direct is the global part of the Rabobank group which operates in Ireland amongst other countries...I guess that was why they sponsored the P-12 then.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 26 Aug 2013, 10:42 pm

In RaboBank's defence, the very fact that we're still having to ask 'who are they?' (I mean, I know, but I've never actually seen them operating anywhere) shows either: i) how much of a failure their sponsorship has been, or at the very least ii) how unsuited the Celtic League was as a sponsorship opportunity for a Dutch bank with operations in Ireland.

I'd like to see the rights bought by someone with deep pockets and a strong tradition of sports sponsorship - say... a major bank with with three initials... and a dubious history of corporate mergers...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Mon 26 Aug 2013, 10:51 pm

BT would definitely be interested but I can't imagine sky being too happy promoting the 'BT Pro 12'!

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Aug 2013, 7:17 am

BT have plenty of eggs in the AP basket at the minute.

I think RBS will be limited in their corporate sponsorship by the government who still own the majority of shares.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2013, 7:48 am

Considering that BT wanted to "buy rugby", but have probably ruined European rugby could maybe use the left overs from the promised £150m for European rugby can be shared equally between Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Italy through the Celtic league...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 27 Aug 2013, 7:49 am

Picard

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 27 Aug 2013, 8:41 am

Go Compare should be the new sponsor. It's based in Wales.

The mascot is Go Compario - Italian Tenor played by a Welshman.

Should suit the league perfectly.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 27 Aug 2013, 9:26 am

Durex Pro 12
Ribbed, for her pleasure

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down