The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Staying at the weight over the years.

+3
TRUSSMAN66
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
OasisBFC
7 posters

Go down

Staying at the weight over the years. Empty Staying at the weight over the years.

Post by OasisBFC Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:29 pm

I turned 30 the other week and weighed in at 16 stone 4lbs. 10 years ago I was exactly 4 stone lighter at 12.4lbs while my height hasn't really changed my body shape definitely did as most people do. Filling out, broader shoulders and the many pints and curries catch up with you.

Essentially I've gone from a super middle to a heavy while still in decent (not excellent by any push) shape. Now I could do with losing a stone, but no way I'd make cruiser.

It got me thinking – have any boxers under heavyweight managed to remain in the same weight division for their careers?

Didn't Hatton start in light welter? he was thick set from the start and managed to get down to 10 stone for pretty much all of his career, even if he had to lose an incredible amount of weight. But technically he finished at 147.
I haven't put too much thought into this at all but have any successful fighters managed to weigh the same throughout?

Of course some go down in weight, that's usually always off the back of a loss or them struggling with their opponents.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Staying at the weight over the years. Empty Re: Staying at the weight over the years.

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:37 pm

Froch?

Edit: checking wikipedia he's listed as a super-middle back in 2003 and from them onwards. Earlier fights have no weight against them. Checked on box rec too and there are no weights against his first 10-ish fights so I'm assuming he's been super-middle constantly.

Last edited by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Staying at the weight over the years. Empty Re: Staying at the weight over the years.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:37 pm

How tall are you ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Monzon, Hagler, Jimmy Wilde had fights above flyweight but always weighed within the flyweight limit.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Calzaghe was a SMW for 14 years before moving up right at the end there.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Union Cane wrote:Calzaghe was a SMW for 14 years before moving up right at the end there.
Rolling Eyes Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How tall are you ??
laughing 

Staying at the weight over the years. 3559488474 

kiss 
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:00 am

Worried about his obesity and your brain capacity...Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:03 am

Fair enough.

You should surely have a pop at Ghosty TToT as well, for inferring that Monzon and Hagler were flyweights?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:03 am

Is ghosty back ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:27 am

A few non-title fights aside in which they might have been a pound or two over their limit, there have been a few from more recent times who have made really good careers out of campaigning solely in one weight class throughout.

Norris at Light-Middle, Tszyu at Light-Welter, John at Featherweight etc. A little surprising, really, given how many weight classes now exist and how 36 hour weigh ins mean that the edges of the divisions can be blurred so easily.

So in the case of Norris and John, you've got fighters weighing in at the same kind of weights in their early thirties as they were at the back end of their teens. Seems unnatural and you'd have to wonder if it effected Norris later in his career and if it might still effect John.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:30 am

Noris made 154 easy throughout his career....He agreed to 150 for Taylor.........which shows you how comfortable he was..

Very rare...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:51 am

Aye, but he was still a pretty young pup at that stage. The way his performances went south so suddenly as he got towards the thirty mark make me think that something was seriously amiss (aside from the fact that Terry was completely off his rocker!), and perhaps weight struggles shouldn't be ruled out after a decade or more of hitting the same weight, although as I said that's really just speculation on my part.

As you say, though, pretty rare in this day and age.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:31 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Worried about his obesity and your brain capacity...Cool 
6'3. Thank you for your concern.heart 

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:43 am

OasisBFC wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Worried about his obesity and your brain capacity...Cool 
6'3. Thank you for your concern.heart 
TRUSS is only jealous as he's shrinking and yet his moobs are growing at an alarming rate (I gather they'll soon be visible on Google Earth)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:47 am

You seem to be obsessed with me today....

I suppose I ought to take it as a compliment..

Some kind of idolisation....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:54 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You seem to be obsessed with me today....

I suppose I ought to take it as a compliment..

Some kind of idolisation....
Not really, you just provide great fodder for criticism. The amount of b*ll*ckks you're written today seems to be nudging your all-time top ten list of stupid stuff (no mean feat considering).

Still, if you want to think that I idolise you then knock yourself out (literally if possible). Perhaps if I was a religious man we could put it down to you physically resembling Buddha!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:00 am

Mate.........After debating with LRR and Zoomy types.........It really wouldn't knock me out If you did idolise me....

Be like the ugly girl in the office downstairs fancying me...something to be noted but nothing to be bothered about..Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:15 am

Enzo started out as a cruiserweight back in 1999. Shows how comfortable he was at the weight that he's fighting at LHW 14 years later.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:17 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mate.........After debating with LRR and Zoomy types.........It really wouldn't knock me out If you did idolise me....

Be like the ugly girl in the office downstairs fancying me...something to be noted but nothing to be bothered about..Cool 

Surely you mean having your rear end handed to you on a plate?

If it didn't bother you fat lad, you wouldn't spend so much of your "valuable" time telling how unimportant all of this is. The fat lady/lady boy protesteth far too much....again!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:19 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Enzo started out as a cruiserweight back in 1999. Shows how comfortable he was at the weight that he's fighting at LHW 14 years later.
Always thought the real reason Enzo stuck at CW was due to him not having the ability to mix it up at HW or down at LH. He remained in the unglamourus CW division as his clock would have been cleaned much much sooner otherwise

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:19 am

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mate.........After debating with LRR and Zoomy types.........It really wouldn't knock me out If you did idolise me....

Surely you mean having your rear end handed to you on a plate?

If it didn't bother you fat lad, you wouldn't spend so much of your "valuable" time telling how unimportant all of this is. The fat lady/lady boy protesteth far too much....again!
I'm replying to you...because I was brought up with manners...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:20 am

DAVE667 wrote:
Mr Bounce wrote:Enzo started out as a cruiserweight back in 1999. Shows how comfortable he was at the weight that he's fighting at LHW 14 years later.
Always thought the real reason Enzo stuck at CW was due to him not having the ability to mix it up at HW or down at LH. He remained in the unglamourus CW division as his clock would have been cleaned much much sooner otherwise
Probably very true Dave! Still hits like a mule though.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:27 am

Mr Bounce wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Probably very true Dave! Still hits like a mule though.
Always thought it was more to do with the poor quality of opposition he faced that got him the reputation for being a KO king. Nice fella is Enzo, make no mistake but I think he was happy being a medium sized fish in a very small murky pond and then Warren's David Haye-tred got him a slapping from which he's never really recovered.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:44 pm

i still can't believe how many people- pro boxers too - that thought enzo was going to win. there's a video on youtube about the build up.

obviously we didn't know both of their levels at the time. haye would carry his power to heavyweight and be a genuine top 3 HW in the world where enzo didn't seem to recover and perhaps was found out.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down