The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Josh Lewsey finally comes home

+5
Scrumpy
rodders
ScarletSpiderman
little_badger
The Saint
9 posters

Go down

Josh Lewsey finally comes home Empty Josh Lewsey finally comes home

Post by The Saint Fri 30 Aug 2013, 12:47 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23899605

Lewsey finally comes home Smile. His role with WRU is Head of Rugby. In this new role he will be responsible for operational and strategic management for the whole of the game in Wales.

Good to finallyhave someone who knows a lot about the professional game on board.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Josh Lewsey finally comes home Empty Re: Josh Lewsey finally comes home

Post by The Saint Fri 30 Aug 2013, 1:08 pm

There are two types of people in the world:
1. Those who are Welsh.
2. Those who wish to be Welsh.

Which is Lewsey?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by little_badger Fri 30 Aug 2013, 1:20 pm

Neither, he is........

Option 3. Those who will always be English but fancy a few years practicing in Wales first for the big time of the
RFU........

Joking aside, it seems like a massive coup for the WRU, good job.

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 2:11 pm

I'm ever so slight fuming! Josh Lewsey? I mean I was joking a year or so back when I said the WRU is starting to look like Gats' jobs for the boys but seriously this is beyond. Marc VanGisbergen must be eagerly awaiting his invite to replace Jinks as kicking coach.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Aug 2013, 2:13 pm

The Saint wrote:There are two types of people in the world:
1. Those who are Welsh.
2. Those who wish to be Welsh.

Which is Lewsey?
Also:

3. Those who pretend to be welsh but further scrutiny of their grandparents shows them to be otherwise.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 30 Aug 2013, 2:13 pm

Lewsey is getting a reputation of jumping between jobs, it won't be long before he moves on again!

IMO he retired too soon and has had to fill his time with trivial jobs and climbing Mountains.

This stinks of jobs for the boys, Joe Worsley will be signed up soon to give piano lessons! Laugh
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 2:17 pm

As for that saying I am sure it actually goes-:

"There area three types of people in this world. There are those who are Welsh, there are those who wish they were Welsh, and there are those with no ambition" - Phil Steel

(I first heard it said by Phil Steel, sure he wasn't the first to say it but he is pretty big so I'll credit him for it)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 2:30 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Lewsey

As an avid climber, Lewsey has opted for a complete career change and the opportunity to further his mountain exploits. Lewsey and his friend Keith Reesby were unsuccessful in their attempt to climb to the summit of Mount Everest via the difficult North Col route, in May 2010. Both climbers were within 500 feet of the summit when breathing apparatus failure caused them to abandon the ascent. Lewsey admitted afterwards that "He had never felt so scared" as the two climbers attempted to descend before running out of oxygen. Following this expedition he joined PricewaterhouseCoopers as a management consultant, working in the area of organisational performance.

In September 2011, Lewsey became an employee of Citigroup Global Markets Ltd. as a sales trader.[10]

In March 2013, he took up the role of Acting CEO at The Cornish Pirates after the long standing CEO, Rod Coward, stood down. According to the club, he will hold the position until September 2013.

On 30th August 2013, Lewsey was appointed Head of Rugby at the Welsh Rugby Union

When did we commision the PWC review?  Sounds iffy to me.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 30 Aug 2013, 2:44 pm

Wasps are swarming all over Welsh Rugby.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 30 Aug 2013, 3:54 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I'm ever so slight fuming!  Josh Lewsey?  I mean I was joking a year or so back when I said the WRU is starting to look like Gats' jobs for the boys but seriously this is beyond.  Marc VanGisbergen must be eagerly awaiting his invite to replace Jinks as kicking coach.

Howley, McBryde and Jenkins; now that was a job for the boys. If you look at Lewsey's experience (on and off the field) then he is probably one of the best qualified people for this type of role. He was involved in England rugby when they revolutionised training and coaching, that's always a good experience to have.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 5:21 pm

The Saint wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:I'm ever so slight fuming!  Josh Lewsey?  I mean I was joking a year or so back when I said the WRU is starting to look like Gats' jobs for the boys but seriously this is beyond.  Marc VanGisbergen must be eagerly awaiting his invite to replace Jinks as kicking coach.
Howley, McBryde and Jenkins; now that was a job for the boys. If you look at Lewsey's experience (on and off the field) then he is probably one of the best qualified people for this type of role. He was involved in England rugby when they revolutionised training and coaching, that's always a good experience to have.
So now there are four blokes in big roles that were all Wasps, seems very jobs for the boys. Exactly the same as McBryde and Davies was when Gyppo did it.

Lewsey's post playing C.V. looks like that of a bloke who can't stay in a job for more than five minutes. I appreciate that an outsider, not tainted by the in-fighting or biased to a club or region, is certainly a good thing, but one of Gatlands buddies, and an ex pwc (from around the time the wru report was being done) smacks of something not being right. If there is/was any truth in the whole Rebbecca Tv accusations about Roger Lewis, Dai Pickering and the cancelled tv program, then this appointment could be even more shifty. Personally I think it is a fishy appointment at best, and underhanded dodgey dealing at worst.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:19 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Wasps are swarming all over Welsh Rugby.
In all fairness it seems to be a bit of a two way street at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:23 pm

Wouldn't get excited about this. Lewsey was a fine rugby player but has failed at everything he has attempted since hanging up his boots. Just the sort of "high profile" appointment that would appeal to "management guys" like Roger Lewis and David Pickering but means nothing in the real world.

And, also, "Head of Rugby" sounds like the career aspiration of a poorly performing Year 7 clay-class student. At least give him a proper job title for the 6 months he's going to be there, WRU!

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:35 pm

It does strike as a little bit ceremonial. I think Joe Lydon was an excellent appointment, still not sure how they pulled it off, and his loss to the RFU was unfortunate. The downside, of course, is that if Lewsey shows any sort of promise, will he too be incorporated into the English ranks?

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 31 Aug 2013, 12:07 am

Scrumpy wrote:Lewsey is getting a reputation of jumping between jobs, it won't be long before he moves on again!

IMO he retired too soon and has had to fill his time with trivial jobs and climbing Mountains.

This stinks of jobs for the boys, Joe Worsley will be signed up soon to give piano lessons! Laugh
Maybe Worsley could give Lydiate some tips on tackling?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 31 Aug 2013, 1:56 pm

Last sentence in that article...

"He will play a pivotal role in ensuring that the whole of Welsh rugby operates in a joined up structure."

Good luck with that one, Josh.
Wink

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 01 Sep 2013, 12:22 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:Last sentence in that article...

"He will play a pivotal role in ensuring that the whole of Welsh rugby operates in a joined up structure."

Good luck with that one, Josh.
Wink

Doh 

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down