The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newport Gwent Dragons v Ulster: Rodney Parade, Friday 06/09, 19:15

+25
Taffineastbourne
IanBru
dragon4life
neilthom7
Cyril
JmD
RDSguru
maestegmafia
Keesie_kee
MrsP
munkian
Welshmushroom
Rory_Gallagher
The Great Aukster
profitius
Artful_Dodger
dragon999
Pete330v2
Jenifer McLadyboy
ScarletSpiderman
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Luckless Pedestrian
The Saint
Notch
Don Alfonso
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Ulster: Rodney Parade, Friday 06/09, 19:15 - Page 3 Empty Newport Gwent Dragons v Ulster: Rodney Parade, Friday 06/09, 19:15

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 12:36

First topic message reminder :

Dragons squad: D Evans, H Amos, T Prydie, W Harries, R Wardle, P Leach, J Dixon, A Hughes, K Burton, J Tovey, R Rees, J Evans; P Price, A Coundley, O Evans, R Thomas, H Gustafson, F Chaparro, N Buck, D Way, A Coombs, A Jones, M Screech, I Jones, L Evans, N Cudd, J Groves, N Talei.

Ulster squad:
Forwards: Niall Annett, Tom Court, Callum Black, Ricky Lutton, Robbie Diack, Declan Fitzpatrick, Johann Muller (captain), Dan Tuohy, Chris Henry, Roger Wilson, Bronson Ross, Lewis Stevenson, Sean Doyle, Rob Herring.
Backs: Jared Payne, Luke Marshall, Paddy Jackson, David McIlwaine, James McKinney, Paul Marshall, Darren Cave, Chris Farrell, Andrew Trimble, Ian Porter, Michael Heaney.

Referee: Claudio Blessano (FIR)

Assistant Referees: Leighton Hodges, Neil Hennessy (both WRU)

Citing Commissioner: Ray Wilton (WRU)

Will add teamsheets as they become known.

Dragons:15) Dan Evans, 14) Tom Prydie, 13) Pat Leach, 12) Jack Dixon, 11) Hallam Amos, 10) Jason Tovey, 9) Richie Rees; 1) Aaron Coundley, 2) T.Rhys Thomas, 3) Dan Way, 4) Matthew Screech, 5) Andrew Coombs (c), 6) Jevon Groves, 7) Nic Cudd, 8) Lewis Evans.
Replacements: 16) Hugh Gustafson, 17) Phil Price, 18) Francisco Chaparro, 19) Adam Jones, 20) Netani Talei, 21) Jonathan Evans, 22) Kris Burton, 23) Ross Wardle.

Ulster:(15-9): J Payne, A Trimble, L Marshall, C Farrell, D McIlwaine, P Jackson, P Marshall; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, R Lutton, J Muller (Captain), D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry, R Wilson;
Replacements (16-23): N Annett, T Court, D Fitzpatrick, L Stevenson, S Doyle, I Porter, J McKinney, D Cave

Last edited by Don Alfonso on Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 12:52; edited 1 time in total

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Ulster: Rodney Parade, Friday 06/09, 19:15 - Page 3 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons v Ulster: Rodney Parade, Friday 06/09, 19:15

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 21:40

He is in contention for the Ireland team at 10 and has been capped there, what I meant was if he is to be considered a test class 10 he will need to improve massively. He is a consistent playmaker, although he isn't a particular dangerous runner by his own accord (or he at least hasn't shown himself to be so far) and his kicking game needs work. This is of course early days but at some point he needs to improve.

I think this season we will see how he fares when Hanrahan comes into play for Munster.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Ulster: Rodney Parade, Friday 06/09, 19:15 - Page 3 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons v Ulster: Rodney Parade, Friday 06/09, 19:15

Post by MrsP Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 21:49

Well done Dragons!

Great start to the season and it must be good to put last season well and truely behind you with that performance!

clap 

Ulster had the look of a pile of lads who had just agreed to have a wee game rather than a team. I hope that rust gets scrubbed off pretty quick smart. We are better than that.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 21:54

Artful_Dodger wrote:Congrats to the Dragons.  That was awful from Ulster, the worst part of it is Dragons never even looked like scoring a try.
This'll sound daft, but for me that's a good thing - that we weren't firing on all cylinders but still got the win. I'll take that over playing well in defeat any day of the week. Ulster weren't on song either, but it's like they say, you can only beat what's in front of you. How we held you out at the end, I don't know. But we did!

I'm not sure the ref was refereeing the scrums as they're supposed to either. He was making the 'set' a hit, which I thought we were supposed to have got rid of?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 21:55

Chapparo is solid in the scrums, but looked half asleep elsewhere. Speaking of scrums, the ref wasn't great but I do like the fact the touch judges were assisting the calls for scrum penalties. Don't think we could have got a better result, very gracious Ulster fans OK.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 21:58

What were the two late penalties against Ulster in the scrum given for? It was the other side of the pitch from me.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 21:59

Just returned from the game. Very pleased with the win but after the first 10 minutes we were under the cosh massively. Obviously it's very difficult to see the breakdown from the stands but we seemed to get the decisions going our way in the 2nd half (and some of the first !). I was sure Ulster would score towards the end with all of the phases on our try line - but it wasn't to be and we got away with the win.

I have to say that it will be a very long season if we just kick and chase. We didn't look like scoring a try all game (although we were playing Ulster who are a very decent side and my pick for a potential league winner). But to kick ball away with a very average chase game meant that we were defending in our own half a lot. Some good work on the ground (judged by me only on us seeming to win a few penalties there) has won us the game.

Saying that, I predicted a close-ish loss for us tonight so am very happy overall. I thought Talei looked great when he came on - I can see him becoming a bit of a local legend or talisman for the dragons, I just have that feeling. The scrum markedly improved when Chapparo came on, as I thought it would. Why we didn't start these 2 new signings I don't know - however, the tactic to bring these two on in the 2nd half was great as we were up on the scoreboard and were able to improve the team from the bench, rather than weaken it.

I think we were a bit small in the 2nd row. Coombes is a real combative player but at 6'4" in the modern game he is dwarfed by the opposition. Screech, his partner, didn't seem to have the physicality. The Ulster locks and replacements seemed like giants.

Richie Rees looked like the sort of scum half I like - an irritating little sh@t with little man syndrome, shouting at his team mates and rubbing up the opposition. Long may this continue!

To Ulster - I'm sure this will be a blip. You actually could have drawn it on a number of occasions towards the end. I expect you to be fighting out the top spot come the end of the season. But tonight was maybe an off night.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:03

Just to add - my take on the scrums: I thought the new rules were that the scrum was to form, nice and gentle, with no pushing until the ball went in (like in the 90's)?! Well, that's certainly not what we got. There was a very definite hit and plenty of pushing before the ball went it (by both sides). It didn't really look much different from before, but there were definitely less collapses so that was a bonus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:06

When will Ulster (and the other Irish provinces) be putting out their full-strength sides?

It normally takes a few weeks before they do that. Will it be the same again this season?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:09

Yep, Talei was great when he came on. There's going to be real competition in the back row, with Toby and Ieuan Jones after the number eight shirt too. It would be harsh to judge him on one game, but I don't think Richie Rees had much of an impact on the game. Early days though, and a winning competitive debut isn't a bad start.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:16

Great result for the Dragons...! What a start to the year..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:19

Very well done to Dragons - I'm obviously a glory hunter, but you're definitely my favorite Welsh team!

I'm really delighted with this result, particularly as I checked the score intermittently from the stands at Scotstoun.

I assume this wasn't on TV (feel free to correct me...) so I guess I'll have to wait for highlights on Sunday.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:21

Not bad, Maes! OK

I'm glad we played Ulster first up. With the absent players back and a few more games they'll be a tough nut to crack again.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:23

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:What were the two late penalties against Ulster in the scrum given for? It was the other side of the pitch from me.
I was wondering the same thing actually.

The second one the ref seemed to indicate that Declan Fitz was pulling the scrum down but that seemed wierd as we looked like we were going forward at a rate of knots. Both those calls seemed to come from the TJs.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:25

Looks like Ulster were robbed. What is the problem with the officiating in the Rabo?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:28

Robbed by our own errors and a very determined Dragons side who really wanted to give Dave Parade back it's fortress mentality.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:32

Things would have looked very different at half time if Paddy Jackson had kicked his goals. Everyone has off days, but the momentum really can swing if points aren't taken when they're on offer.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:33

You're right about Rees Luckless - not much of an impact on the game directly, but I thought he did well in influencing his players like a good scrum half should. He was directing them, slapping them on the backsides (a bit too much for my liking - like something from Studio 1 at one point!). But yes, he could have been better as a player. The good thing is that there are 2 good players waiting in the wings if he falls off form. That sort of competition is vital to keep the team performing all season.

I have to say our centres were pretty anonymous in attack. They didn't get much ball in fairness, but there was no penetration or line breaks when they did. I think our half backs and outside backs (is that what wings and fullback are called?! Can't remember. Had a few beers!) are decent but for a long, long time now we have struggled for quality in the centres. I'm sure Dixon will come good but is very inexperienced. We've never had decent play makers there. Hughes is great when put into space, but a creative 12 would be the best addition to our backline IMO. It's a position that has always gone under the radar at the dragons. Either make shift 12s or stodgy boshers over the years - Marinos, Bryant, Dollman, Gomer-Davies, Sidey (played against the Lions in Aus recently though!) Tuilagi, Ashley Smith, Leach. For me centre is a bit of a glamour position, but we've never had a 'glamorous' (I.e. international quality) centre, apart from when Percy played there, and then we were a decent team! Probably our best centre over the years has been Hal Lucombe, and that's saying something. Without that penetration and creativity in the centre we're relying on a bit of a kicking game which becomes obvious and easy to defend in the long run.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:38

I forgot my manners, congratulations to the Dragons. You definitely deserved the win tonight. OK 

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:40

Dixon and Leach are too similar for my liking. They'll run hard all day but you need more variety than that. Adam Hughes has always done well at outside centre, and even though he's not the biggest, he's fearless and he makes things happen. Dixon and Hughes in midfield for me, although Ross Wardle's got something about him too and worked well with Lewis Robling against Munster last season.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:42

Thanks, Rory! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:51

Yep, Dixon and Hughes would be good to see, and Robling and Wardle for the future. Robling was more of a centre before anyway, and looked good at centre in the U20 world championships a couple of seasons back. The 10 experiment at pro level was not a success.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 22:54

I thought Shanks did well as per. And people said he'd struggle at 8. For me he's covered the back-row up to a convincing standard and must get an international call-up if his form picks up where it left off (which it looks like doing). I think the tries will come, they usually do when Lyn Jones is involved.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 0:02

Cyril wrote:Looks like Ulster were robbed. What is the problem with the officiating in the Rabo?
No, we weren't. The referee wasn't perfect (as you'd expect given this is only his third game at this level) but despite anything you can say about him the best side on the night won.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 0:02

The Dragons will not be running in tries just yet - they will play like Exeter to get a W on the board until the team improves,sorry to disappoint you

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 0:14

Griff wrote:Yep, Dixon and Hughes would be good to see, and Robling and Wardle for the future. Robling was more of a centre before anyway, and looked good at centre in the U20 world championships a couple of seasons back. The 10 experiment at pro level was not a success.
I think there is a unanimous vote for Dixon and Hughes to get a few opportunities.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 0:26

Notch wrote:
Cyril wrote:Looks like Ulster were robbed. What is the problem with the officiating in the Rabo?
No, we weren't. The referee wasn't perfect (as you'd expect given this is only his third game at this level) but despite anything you can say about him the best side on the night won.
Not from where I was standing, but kudos for not complaining.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 0:39

There were plenty of calls (watching it in a stadium, which may be a novelty to you Cyril), where it seemed the Dragons were hard done by. I suspect you watched the main BBC game if any, anyway.

It's weird trying to not get carried away with that. We've beaten two good enough sides in our last two games and there is clearly lots to work on. But for a big points turnaround from last season and a huge defensive shift, it's good to see some desire from a Dragons team again.

Great atmosphere at the end too. Normally reserved for a derby win. I didn't expect a win, but knew if we did front up, we'd be close (LBP at least). All the supporters want for this season really, is a desire to play for the badge and to front up at home. We will lose games at home, but hopefully not without bringing out our old dog we used to have.

Congratulations to Jase Tovey also for becoming the Dragons all time points scorer tonight and huge commiserations to Ulster supporters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 0:48

Risca Rev,

Cheap shot. For someone who used to support the Ospreys and then moved down I thought you might understand. Once the Irish provinces have their players available it will be business as usual. After the group stages of the HC the Welsh Regions will come back. The Rabo Cycle. As it will continue for ever more.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 7:41

Similar to the Cyril cycle: WUM, back handed compliment, snide comment, WUM, back handed compliment, snide comment,WUM, ban, return with a new name, and so the cycle continues on and on and on.... For ever more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 8:17

Great result and a strong defensive effort.We are still lightweight up front which will make life tough this season.
A bit of creativity would not hurt.
Ref was a tad eccentric as others have noted.
Ulster will be in the top three come the end of the season and sadly we will be in the bottom third.
Lovely to have Rugby back!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 11:02

dragon999 wrote:The Dragons will not be running in  tries just yet - they will play like Exeter to get a W on the board until the team improves,sorry to disappoint you
Keep up, 999, Exeter of 3 years ago maybe, but they were top try scorers in the prem for long periods last year and topped meters run, etc.

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 11:11

Apologies - i have great respect for what Exeter have achieved & meant that Dragons NEED to play like Exe did to actually win games & not try & play too much rugby which we have been guilty of in the last few seasons - Big up for Exe fans too,best group of supporters at RP in ages, all the best for a very good season

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 11:36

Lyn Jones is a good man to take them where they need to go, with Phill KJ in tow as well they could do well this year... I don't think any of us were that surprised that the Dragons won this game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 11:37

No worries, only pulling yer plonker! Wink

Congrats on a good win

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 11:45

maestegmafia wrote:Lyn Jones is a good man to take them where they need to go, with Phill KJ in tow as well they could do well this year... I don't think any of us were that surprised that the Dragons won this game.
Not as such. I thought we'd get an LBP. We play as ferociously as that though and even the best teams will find it hard to get anything from RP.

My chest was pumped right out from it though. That's what we've been begging for, is that passion at home. Not convinced by the 5186 attendance or whatever it was announced as though. Looked nearer 7500 minimum to me. North Terrace and Bisley certainly weren't empty.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 12:51

Risca Rev wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Lyn Jones is a good man to take them where they need to go, with Phill KJ in tow as well they could do well this year... I don't think any of us were that surprised that the Dragons won this game.
Not as such. I thought we'd get an LBP. We play as ferociously as that though and even the best teams will find it hard to get anything from RP.

My chest was pumped right out from it though. That's what we've been begging for, is that passion at home. Not convinced by the 5186 attendance or whatever it was announced as though. Looked nearer 7500 minimum to me. North Terrace and Bisley certainly weren't empty.
A losing bonus point would have been an ambition last season but the Dragons are rapidly turning their fortunes around with some great decisions during the off season on coaching and retaining the right players

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 13:16

Fair play to the Dragons, great start against a high-flying team considering the lows of last season. Missed the game as I was out until late yesterday, can anyone give me the quick lowdown on who had good games?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 13:36

Encouraging performance from everyone K17 - Game changed when Chapparo,Price & Telei came on but the obvious improvement was in Dragons defence which won the game much improved - Loads to work on but a great start, next home game against Scarlets will be huge,hopefully do well at Edinburgh next Friday

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 15:06

Lewis Evans, Jason Tovey, Andrew Coombes, Jack Dixon, Dan Evans all played well I thought.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 15:58

yep, no complaints about that result. Well done Dragons. Better side and looked better drilled to me and certainly looked more purposeful than previously. Their number 7 impressed me.

I had no issues with the ref except at scrum time. The sub Tighthead was on his knees at every scrum he was part of and yet this wasnt picked up once. Im not going to pretend Ulster are saints here and to be honest any penalties gained might have given us a win we didnt merit and the Dragons did but to my mind it shows how poor things are when the new scrum laws are implemented and we still see basic things not picked up.

other than that no issues. Dragons hungrier and deserved the win. i hope its the first of many for them.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 16:19

Now hes announced he is leaving the O's any chance we could snap up Goughie if he wants to continue playing?

He may not last the full 80 these days but when he played you know you would get all out full blooded commitment and with Toby and possibly Coombsy away a lot his experience would be vital.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 18:40

Someone his size would be handy next to Coombes.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 9 Sep 2013 - 8:36

Standulstermen wrote:yep, no complaints about that result. Well done Dragons. Better side and looked better drilled to me and certainly looked more purposeful than previously. Their number 7 impressed me.
Nic Cudd's been a great signing for us. He doesn't get the headlines, but he's quick to the breakdown and wins us a fair few turnovers / penalties. If anything he'll be better this season with two former opensides coaching him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 9 Sep 2013 - 14:06

Dragons looked riled up and drilled, 2 things they didnt last season.

Thats a HUGE step up in performance if you ask me, defence was unrecognisable from last season.

A good start to whats been a wave of optimism since the new arrivals and LJ/KJ came in, looking forward to see what they can do this season. Ulster not at their best admittedly, but the Dragons would have found a way to lose that last season, nice start!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 9 Sep 2013 - 15:46

I'm still hungover from it. Typically, I'm on the hilights reel looking gloomy with my hands in my pockets just before/or after Ulster scored the only try Rolling Eyes 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 9 Sep 2013 - 16:20

munkian wrote:I'm still hungover from it. Typically, I'm on the hilights reel looking gloomy with my hands in my pockets just before/or after Ulster scored the only try Rolling Eyes 
Yeah. I saw that bloke.... Smile and you would look fractionally less ugly. Smile 

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 9 Sep 2013 - 16:30

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
munkian wrote:I'm still hungover from it. Typically, I'm on the hilights reel looking gloomy with my hands in my pockets just before/or after Ulster scored the only try Rolling Eyes 
Yeah. I saw that bloke.... Smile and you would look fractionally less ugly. Smile 
Just glad your Mum isn't as shallow as you Run
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 9 Sep 2013 - 16:31

munkian wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Just glad your Mum isn't as shallow as you Run
Smile 

Where did you read that? I thought I had all the toilet doors in Wales scrubbed clean at this stage. Erm 

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 9 Sep 2013 - 16:33

Clean toilet doors ? La dee dah, check out the d4head Bubbly
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3