The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite Documentaries

+24
jbeadlesbigrighthand
SharkSoul
The Saint
WhiteCamry
dummy_half
Il Gialloblu
Scottrff
VTR
Shot 21 LCFC
STC
bhb001
kingjohn7
Stella
Cyril
ONETWOFOREVER
jimmyinthewell68
compelling and rich
Galted
Adam D
TRUSSMAN66
Mind the windows Tino.
JuliusHMarx
superflyweight
Rowley
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Favourite Documentaries - Page 2 Empty Favourite Documentaries

Post by Rowley Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Inspired by STC’s thread about a film I have never heard of and in the spirit of the culture cup which seems intent on establishing how uncultured we all are thought I would ask people what their favourite documentaries were. Got to be honest I do love a documentary but don’t watch anywhere near as many as I would like to. However from the ones I have watched ones I would highly recommend are Capturing the Friedmans and Bobby Fischer vs the World.

The first deals with the slightly uncomfortable subject of a family accused of child molestation (so not exactly laugh a minute) and what makes it so fascinating is the family were huge fans of videoing themselves in and around the house and so the film contains a mountain of footage of them in their regular lives and around the time they were accused. It also does not rush to judgements but presents the arguments for and against their guilt and allows you to make your own mind up. Brilliant but frequently uncomfortable viewing.

The second film is about the life of brilliant but flawed chess genius Bobby Fischer. Despite being absolutely rubbish at it the game of chess has always fascinated me and Fischer is about the most fascinating character in the game. The oft repeated comment about the line between genius and madness is something of a cliché but could have been written with Fischer in mind. The film inevitably takes as its centrepiece the famous match in Iceland between Fischer and Boris Spasky.

Is hard to imagine now how big this game was. As most of us know the Russians take the game of chess extremely seriously and took their dominance of this as a badge of superiority during the cold war so when Fischer emerged as a genuine threat to that hegemony the game took on proportions way beyond a mere game of chess. Brilliant film about a flawed but fascinating man, a herculean game and the oddness of the whole cold war period.

Do any of the rest of us watch documentaries or have any favourites they would care to recommend.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Favourite Documentaries - Page 2 Empty Re: Favourite Documentaries

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:21 pm

From Scott's list, The Cove gets another vote from me. Not seen many of the others.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:54 pm

Already mentioned, but Grizzly Man is fantastic. Some good recommendations too. I can't believe I now want to watch a documentary about Donkey Kong.

As for Jeff's surname, I'm going for Jeff Wayne Gacy or Jeff Dahmer.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:01 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:Already mentioned, but Grizzly Man is fantastic. Some good recommendations too. I can't believe I now want to watch a documentary about Donkey Kong.
Yeah! Do it!

I also liked Grizzly Man. I have little sympathy for those who purposely put themselves in harm's way. I was kind of glad how it turned out and I'm fairly certain Timothy Treadwell would be too.

Herzog should have played the audio to the audience.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Herzog has recently done a texting while driving short doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1vCqfYpos

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:38 pm

STC wrote:
I also liked Grizzly Man. I have little sympathy for those who purposely put themselves in harm's way. I was kind of glad how it turned out
Glad I am not the only one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Rowley wrote:
STC wrote:
I also liked Grizzly Man. I have little sympathy for those who purposely put themselves in harm's way. I was kind of glad how it turned out
Glad I am not the only one.
Glad I'm not the one who said it first! I deliberately left that out of my comment.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:33 am

Adam D wrote:Has anyone seen King of Kong? I really fancy it.

Trekkies was awful. Was wanting to like it but it felt like a high school project.
Brilliant documentary and edited to perfection to create the 'David and Goliath' scenario.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:11 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:Already mentioned, but Grizzly Man is fantastic. Some good recommendations too. I can't believe I now want to watch a documentary about Donkey Kong.

As for Jeff's surname, I'm going for Jeff Wayne Gacy or Jeff Dahmer.
His version of "War of the Worlds" would have been very interesting/disturbing

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:48 am

Watched 'Blackfish' this week. Very interesting documentary but also heart breaking what happened to the trainers at SeaWorld and Sea Land but more importantly the inhumane treatment towards the Orcas.

It was always going to be a recipe for disaster. Animals like Orcas should be be set free and not contained for public entertainment for profit.

If you enjoyed 'The Cove' and I used the term 'enjoyed' loosely then you will enjoy this for the same reasons.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:51 pm

SharkSoul wrote:Watched 'Blackfish' this week.  Very interesting documentary but also heart breaking what happened to the trainers at SeaWorld and Sea Land but more importantly the inhumane treatment towards the Orcas.  

It was always going to be a recipe for disaster. Animals like Orcas should be be set free and not contained for public entertainment for profit.

If you enjoyed 'The Cove' and I used the term 'enjoyed' loosely then you will enjoy this for the same reasons.
I want to watch The Cove but I daren't.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Rowley wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
Rowley wrote:Will give it a go Super, believe it is on netflix which seems to be pretty good for docs. The Fischer one is certainly on there. Moore is a tool, perhaps a well meaning one but a tool none the less.
my bloody name sake!! of all the people to share a name with
Could be worse mate, have no intention of telling you my surname because I am not coxy but I share my surname with a mass murderer. Lovely, if I had a pound for every time I was asked "any relation" I would have £42.56
you think you've got it bad - I share the the same fingerprints with a serial sex offender

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:34 pm

STC wrote:
SharkSoul wrote:Watched 'Blackfish' this week.  Very interesting documentary but also heart breaking what happened to the trainers at SeaWorld and Sea Land but more importantly the inhumane treatment towards the Orcas.  

I thought 'The Cove' was equally brilliant and gut wrenching at the same time.  Watch it STC but be warned you will get emotional.  I watched 'Dirty Wars' this week also, interesting look at the clandestine American Mercenary group 'JSOC' which basically just go around the world with a Kill List picking off those the drones can't get.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:09 pm

SharkSoul wrote:
STC wrote:

I thought 'The Cove' was equally brilliant and gut wrenching at the same time.  Watch it STC but be warned you will get emotional.  I watched 'Dirty Wars' this week also, interesting look at the clandestine American Mercenary group 'JSOC' which basically just go around the world with a Kill List picking off those the drones can't get.
That's what I'm afraid of.

Dirty wars sounds good though.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:23 pm

If you like the sound of 'Dirty Wars' check out the following, apologies in advance if you've seen any of them already.

The Tillman Story
Taxi to The Dark Side
Standard Operating Procedure
The Fog of War

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:26 pm

Started watching The Cove this morning on you tube. I get the feeling that the best bit or the worse, depending on which way you look at it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:04 pm

In the spirit of Jim Morrison's subscription cancellation, I'd like to nominate the BBC's Jesus was a Buddhist Monk..

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 am

SharkSoul wrote:If you like the sound of 'Dirty Wars' check out the following, apologies in advance if you've seen any of them already.

The Tillman Story
Taxi to The Dark Side
Standard Operating Procedure
The Fog of War
I'm aware of these. Haven't got around to seeing any of them yet. Been meaning to watch Taxi to the Dark Side for ages.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:50 am

SharkSoul wrote:Watched 'Blackfish' this week
I watched this last night. That is one shocking documentary. It is a powerful piece of film making that is for sure. The orcas actually look, as much as an animal can in captivity, that they really enjoy what they are doing during the performances, but the moment they turn is truly shocking. You can’t blame the animals as they have thousands of years of evolutionary instinct tied up in their DNA but the inhumane treatment must be a massive contributing factor to their bursts of aggression. Keeping them in 20 foot by 30 foot pools in complete darkness can’t be a safe way to keep these animals in a happy state of mind. To put them under such duress and then put humans in the whales natural environment is pretty much manslaughter.

I understand that the trainers are experienced professionals and no-one forces them into the water but the decision shouldn’t have been theirs. Particularly with Tillikum who had a history of aggression and was clearly unstable. To keep putting people into the water with him is an outrage. But, he is a big bull and brings in big cash. People want to come and see the biggest whale in captivity and so SeaWorld put him out there to perform and put people in the water, irrespective of his history and the welfare of the trainers.

The scenes of ‘attacks’ by the various whales are genuinely some of the most shocking things I have ever witnessed. The sheer size disparity in the water and the strength of the orcas makes it a chilling spectacle. The way they calmly drag the people to the bottom and smash them around is just gruesome and so hard to watch. The catalogue of injuries that Dawn Brancheau suffered makes it sound like she was hit by a train. That way that bald guy kept his calm when the whale had his foot in its mouth and was dragging him repeatedly to the bottom was incredible. Amazing man and his calmness is the only thing that kept him alive.

The other bit I found shocking was the mother crying for her calf. The sight of it been born in the water was such a beautiful moment and then you learn it was taken to a different SeaWorld and the mother spends hours floating in the same corner of her pool wailing for her baby. Again, a really tough watch and utterly heart-breaking to see real grief in action like that.

The film once again highlights the greed and inhumanity that man possesses. The whales, and Tillikum in particular, are worth billions to SeaWorld so people were continually put at risk. I hope the guy who blamed the death of Dawn Brancheau on her wearing a ponytail has watched the film but I somehow doubt he has.

Incredible documentary although not one that could ever watch again and not a film that you can really ‘enjoy’ in the usual sense of the word.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:27 pm

I wouldnt particularly mind seaworld tino if they operated like a safari park but its more like a fish tank or a cage in a zoo. Like you said a microcosm of the nature of man.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:33 am

Mind the windows you just summarised my feelings perfectly about the method in which SeaWorld and it's owners operate and my overall take on the documentary. I felt like crying when the baby Orca was taken from it's mother. These are more than just animals, when they talk about the brain it just shows that they have the emotional capacity to 'feel' just like we do.

Unfortunately profit will always come before people, that's the sorry state of society. Only we as individuals can make a difference and choose to avoid supporting organisations such as Sea World. This documentary should be mandatory viewing for everyone.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:41 am

SharkSoul wrote:
Unfortunately profit will always come before people, that's the sorry state of society.  Only we as individuals can make a difference and choose to avoid supporting organisations such as Sea World.  This documentary should be mandatory viewing for everyone.
I agree, SharkSoul. I am almost embarrassed that it took this documentary to make me think about it properly, but I guess that is what good documentary film making is all about.

I have never been to a SeaWorld show and after watching Blackfish, I can say with 100% certainty that I won't ever go to one in the future.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:06 pm

The Crash Reel

Story about Kevin Pearce, a former snowboarding champion, who had an almost fatal accident, whilst snowboarding.

The documentary looks at pre accident, but mainly focuses on his rehabilitation.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned the Blair Witch Project yet

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:32 am

STC wrote:
SharkSoul wrote:
STC wrote:

I watched The Cove last night, STC.

I think you will get angry, I certainly did, but maybe not so emotional. I didn't actually think it was as heartbreaking as Blackfish but that maybe due to the style of filming. Due to the nature of the place and the people protecting it, the filming is very detached from the events and although it adds to the 'suspense' (if that is the right word) it didn't ever feel as 'real' to me as Blackfish did. Blackfish took you as close to events as possible and it felt like the story was unfolding as you watched it. The Cove was more like a traditional film in as much as it built the suspense up over a long time and then finished with the dramatic set-piece ending. I understand why it had to be like that, but I always felt like a spectator watching from afar rather than being involved with events like Blackfish made me feel.

Having said that, the content is nevertheless extremely shocking. Dolphins are such intelligent, social and emotional animals, it is impossible to watch it and not have a very heavy heart. Some of the scenes with the baby dolphins are just terrible. The final 15 minutes are genuinely shocking and will stay with me for a long time. The imagery of that final scene is extremely visceral and chilling.

Overall, I didn't think it was as good a documentary as Blackfish, but it is a story that deserves to be told and a very brave and heartfelt piece of film making.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:55 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
STC wrote:
SharkSoul wrote:
STC wrote:

I think you will get angry, I certainly did, but maybe not so emotional.  I didn't actually think it was as heartbreaking as Blackfish but that maybe due to the style of filming.  Due to the nature of the place and the people protecting it, the filming is very detached from the events and although it adds to the 'suspense' (if that is the right word) it didn't ever feel as 'real' to me as Blackfish did.  Blackfish took you as close to events as possible and it felt like the story was unfolding as you watched it.  The Cove was more like a traditional film in as much as it built the suspense up over a long time and then finished with the dramatic set-piece ending.  I understand why it had to be like that, but I always felt like a spectator watching from afar rather than being involved with events like Blackfish made me feel.

Having said that, the content is nevertheless extremely shocking.  Dolphins are such intelligent, social and emotional animals, it is impossible to watch it and not have a very heavy heart.  Some of the scenes with the baby dolphins are just terrible.  The final 15 minutes are genuinely shocking and will stay with me for a long time.  The imagery of that final scene is extremely visceral and chilling.  

Overall, I didn't think it was as good a documentary as Blackfish, but it is a story that deserves to be told and a very brave and heartfelt piece of film making.
Both documentaries interest me. I think I'll give Blackfish a go. I'm still not sure about The Cove. Your excellent little review of it has just reaffirmed what I was thinking before. I don't know if I really want to experience those emotions.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:19 am

STC wrote:Both documentaries interest me. I think I'll give Blackfish a go.
I would definitely recommend that one first, STC. Both have enormous merits but I do think Blackfish is the better documentary.

I've now watched Dear Zachary, Blackfish and The Cove over the last couple of weeks. All of them are great documentaries in different ways but my once happy disposition is gradually disappearing!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:35 am

MISSING IN ACTION I, II and III

Better known as "How I spent my Summer Vacation by Chuck Norris"

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:22 am

Watched a decent documentary this weekend on NetFlix, Beware of Mr Baker about Cream and Blind Faith drummer Ginger Baker. As well as being one of the best drummers ever Baker is a proper rock star, with one of those stories that is just too silly to be anything but true. He has battled with heroin addiction, moved and lived in Nigeria in the middle of civil wars and revolution and managed to fall out or annoy pretty much anyone and everyone he has ever met, including friends, band members and family.

Anyone who is a fan of sixties music or just tales or rock and roll silliness will undoubtedly enjoy this, is a fantastic story with some brilliant footage of one of the best drummers of all time.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:11 am

Watched Searching for Sugarman over the weekend. Very good and one those stories that if it was fiction, you would think it was too far-fetched, but it's put me in a good mood since I watched it.

Also started on my box set of The World at War (which Mrs Superfly bought me for Christmas). Have seen it more than obce over the years - but it is staggeringly good.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:47 am

All This Mayhem

Not being a skateboarding fan I'd never heard of the Pappas brothers, and in truth I only watched this as there was buggar all else on, but I'm glad I did. The film follows, thanks to home video footage, the lives of young skateboarding brothers, Tas and Ben Pappas, from the Australian surburbs to America. A sad but entertaining (to us) story.

Definitely worth a watch.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:08 pm

STC wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
STC wrote:
SharkSoul wrote:
STC wrote:

I think you will get angry, I certainly did, but maybe not so emotional.  I didn't actually think it was as heartbreaking as Blackfish but that maybe due to the style of filming.  Due to the nature of the place and the people protecting it, the filming is very detached from the events and although it adds to the 'suspense' (if that is the right word) it didn't ever feel as 'real' to me as Blackfish did.  Blackfish took you as close to events as possible and it felt like the story was unfolding as you watched it.  The Cove was more like a traditional film in as much as it built the suspense up over a long time and then finished with the dramatic set-piece ending.  I understand why it had to be like that, but I always felt like a spectator watching from afar rather than being involved with events like Blackfish made me feel.

Having said that, the content is nevertheless extremely shocking.  Dolphins are such intelligent, social and emotional animals, it is impossible to watch it and not have a very heavy heart.  Some of the scenes with the baby dolphins are just terrible.  The final 15 minutes are genuinely shocking and will stay with me for a long time.  The imagery of that final scene is extremely visceral and chilling.  

Both documentaries interest me. I think I'll give Blackfish a go. I'm still not sure about The Cove. Your excellent little review of it has just reaffirmed what I was thinking before. I don't know if I really want to experience those emotions.

I have just watched Blackfish. Interesting that some of the trainers interviewed during it have come out and now said that a lot of what they said was misrepresented, in that while they now disagree that the animals should be used for entertainment, the shows for example, the actual marine research and work they do there is still superb. I won't lie, if I ever get the chance to take my kids to Seaworld I will, for the simple reason it allows them the chance to see some majestic creatures up close and witness something that otherwise they'd never see.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:46 am

Recently finished watching The Jinx. Well worth a watch.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:48 am

Is that the one about Robert Durst Scott? Watched it when it was on Sky, very odd guy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:01 am

Yes it is. Very strange and some pretty poor police work.

You seen any decent new ones?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:17 am

Not recently, watched one on Netflix a while ago, the House I live in about the drug war in America, well worth a watch.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:56 am

Got round to watching the Joy Division documentary I recorded on BBC 4 months ago.

Was fantastic. I think what came across more than anything else was just the taboo nature of how men dealt with any form of illness. Like silence is the code of dealing with it. The bandmates knew Ian wasn't well and given the support network at that time was minute in comparison to nowadays. Also their reaction to Ian's death. They kinda felt it wasn't justified. It was stark.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2