The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So long Hoggy

+7
Fists of Fury
guildfordbat
Duty281
Hoggy_Bear
VTR
Stella
banbrotam
11 posters

Go down

So long Hoggy Empty So long Hoggy

Post by banbrotam Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:09 pm

So my fellow Yorkshireman is to retire. My favourite Yorkshire cricketer, simply because he had the best of the tried and tested 'old fashioned' attributes (determination, character, 'over my dead body') mixed with the new (willingness to take on new ideas - did you know that he's quite an IT expert for instance?)

And he's the only cricketer that I can truly say was appallingly treated by England, during (yet another) uninspiring tour of NZ. It wasn't the dropping - it was probably deserved. It was the lack of contact 'arm around the shoulder' that a player of such stature should get and warrants. Vaughan once aluded that they got it wrong, but this was in the middle of the Vaughan / Moores power struggle that set England back a year

Well done to him a great servant and person

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

So long Hoggy Empty Re: So long Hoggy

Post by Stella Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Loved his willing displays for us. A terrific bowler and down to earth good lad.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:24 pm

He was an excellent swing bowler, his best performance probably being the 7-for away to South Africa.

Its with the bat in 2005 I will remember him most though: only when he hit that full toss for four did I start to believe we were going to win in that horribly tense run chase at Trent Bridge.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:25 pm

My favourite player of recent years (hence half of my user name). A down to earth, stoic, determined character with a bit of wit and, also, a damn good bowler on his day.
A noble yeoman of the English game. Good luck in your retirement Hoggy👏 clap 

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:04 pm

A fantastic England player. Hope he enjoys his retirement, and whatever he moves onto. clap 

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 pm

I too wish him well. As a supporter of the county game, I was pleased he continued playing there when his international career ended although do feel he should have called time at least a year ago.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:24 am

Excellent bowler. Hoggard lbw to the left hander was a fine sight to behold, swinging back in.

Wish him all the best.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:46 am

A great player.   Good luck to him in future.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:20 pm

He was, as they say, a good'un.

I stood up at the AGM and vented at our management for the way we treated him.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:06 pm

I saw Hoggard first on the tour of India in about 2000-01....he either debuted on that tour or was in his first few tests....

He was quite a lot faster then hitting 89mph often...and Hussain had remarked Hoggard would run throuhg a wall for his side and captain.

and then about 4 to 5 years later he was bowling at barely 78mph...dunno where and how he dropped so much pace Shocked 

to me he was the Siddle of England...or since the tribute is to Hoggard........Siddle is the Hogard of Aus Smile
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Very fine bowler who was extremely poorly treated by England when dropped and then when overlooked for Pattinson a year later.

When people think of that quartet from 05 it's often the hostility of Harmison, reverse swing of Jones or histrionics of Flintoff that get remembered first but Hoggy was always the one I remembered most fondly as it didn't mater whether it was his first or 10th over of the spell, up the hill, into the wind, ball swinging round corners or doing nothing he was the sort of player who threw his hand up for his captain whenever needed.

It should also be noted I think that through all that he actually took more test wickets than Flintoff or Harmison (both excellent bowlers in their own right) at a lower average as well. And that's not to mention his always entertaining sense of humour or his efforts as a night watchmen.

A top player and a top bloke who will be sorely missed from the county circuit. Also apologies for how late I am posting this!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:01 pm

king_carlos wrote:Very fine bowler who was extremely poorly treated by England when dropped and then when overlooked for Pattinson a year later.

When people think of that quartet from 05 it's often the hostility of Harmison, reverse swing of Jones or histrionics of Flintoff that get remembered first but Hoggy was always the one I remembered most fondly as it didn't mater whether it was his first or 10th over of the spell, up the hill, into the wind, ball swinging round corners or doing nothing he was the sort of player who threw his hand up for his captain whenever needed.

It should also be noted I think that through all that he actually took more test wickets than Flintoff or Harmison (both excellent bowlers in their own right) at a lower average as well. And that's not to mention his always entertaining sense of humour or his efforts as a night watchmen.

A top player and a top bloke who will be sorely missed from the county circuit. Also apologies for how late I am posting this!
King - that's an excellent post and tribute.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down