The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eng Vs Aus, 3rd ODI

+10
alfie
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
trebellbobaggins
Liam
Stella
Mike Selig
VTR
jimbohammers
JDizzle
14 posters

Go down

Eng Vs Aus, 3rd ODI Empty Eng Vs Aus, 3rd ODI

Post by JDizzle Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:26 pm

Aus win the toss and bowl.

England unchanged.

Carberry has just been run out, probably was a run there.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Eng Vs Aus, 3rd ODI Empty Re: Eng Vs Aus, 3rd ODI

Post by jimbohammers Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:54 pm

''Probably was a run there''

You serious? KP just thinking about himself again. It was the first over! Carberry completely stitched up.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm

I'm sensing some slight bias there! If Carberry had been backing up and gone straight away he gets there.

Trott has an LBW overturned.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:02 pm

Think this is a win the toss, bowl and win the game scenario. As the overs are likely to be incrementally reduced through a few interruptions its incredibly difficult to set a total

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:03 pm

Carberry was IMO caught napping, instead of being ready and looking for the single. KP once he saw Carberry wasn't responding should have stopped and tried to get back. Carberry was right to ensure he was run out rather than KP.

There was a reasonably comfortable single if they had both been alert and had gone straight away; Pietersen makes it and Carberry should have the head start. Carberry's rabbit impression unfortunately continues.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:09 pm

JDizzle, no bias here mate. Why take a risky run in the first over? Just to get back on strike? There is 49 overs left.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:10 pm

Johnson all over Trott here. Great bowling. Short, short, short, full and LBW shout. Trott is going to have to do some work pre Ashes now he knows what the Aussies are going to do to him.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:12 pm

Trott gets IMO lucky with that call - Hawk-eye has just enough doubt on height. Again, a case for more clarity with the DRS, I'm not a fan of the generic "not out" - did Michael Gough give it not out because he thought it was going over (in which case fair enough) or for another reason?

Anyway Australia lose their review. Johnson does look a handful at the moment.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:12 pm

jimbohammers wrote:JDizzle, no bias here mate. Why take a risky run in the first over? Just to get back on strike? There is 49 overs left.
Every run counts and if Carberry had gone straight away there was very little risk IMO. You see runs like that all the time, dropped at the batsman's feet, and I've hardly ever seen a run out from one when the non striker goes straight away.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:28 pm

This is a good bowling change from Clarke. England a bit tentative, obviously trying not to lose anymore wickets because of the rain around and the DL calculations, and often a part-timer can work in those conditions.

Exactly like that, Root chips one back, a bit tentative in his footwork and strokeplay, and the change brings the wicket.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:34 pm

Or alternatively rather than being some master plan, Clarke simply wants to get through some overs quickly. Not so sure about that, if the rain stays away and you play the batsmen in then you could still be chasing some... I'd be tempted to have one of your main bowlers operating from the other end still.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:43 pm

The rain saves Australia

Wink
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 4:59 pm

could be the shortest series ever lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 11 Sep 2013, 5:47 pm

Cricket in September is never the easiest. I'm worried for the YB40 or whatever its called. Be a shame for both side back in a Lord's final for a number of years only for it to be rained off.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Wed 11 Sep 2013, 5:55 pm

JDizzle wrote:Johnson all over Trott here. Great bowling. Short, short, short, full and LBW shout. Trott is going to have to do some work pre Ashes now he knows what the Aussies are going to do to him.
MJ bowling tidy can be dangerous.

If he can do that with the crowd on his back against the first team in the ashes he could be a good option.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Wed 11 Sep 2013, 5:57 pm

CF wrote:could be the shortest series ever lol!
Certainly one of the most pointless.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 11 Sep 2013, 7:13 pm

Officially abandoned now. A couple of lessons from this game:
Australia have a genuine plan to Trott which has a lot of merit. England will have to try and combat it somehow.
Carberry unfortunately didn't allay any concerns he has given so far.

I don't see the series as pointless. It is a good way for both teams to answer some (different) questions looking forwards to 2015. England are finding out about some of their fringe players, and Australia are gradually building their stronger XI.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Wed 11 Sep 2013, 7:15 pm

It feels it when these two have been playing each other far too much,

I'm just bored of them I have to admit.

And if its helping Aussie to build their proper side whilst England just look at second and third strings its pointless for our fans to bother watching them have guaranteed losses like this.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:50 pm

These need to be played pre-Ashes next time round
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:03 pm

why..? they didnt know the weather was going to be so bad..

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:07 pm

1. They're a bit of an anti-climax after the Ashes, with players being rested. Also feel if they're played before you have the whole getting one up on each other pre-Ashes, get some rivalries going before the Tests.

2. The weather in June/July is more than likely gonna be better than September
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 10:07 am

I would like to see Overton play the next game. Stokes isnt a 3rd seamer, he's a 4th or 5th, we have been lacking a bowler since the start of the t20's and it needs to be addressed immiedatly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 14 Sep 2013, 6:16 pm

Buttler sees England home in the 4th ODI. clap

1-1, 1 to play.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 14 Sep 2013, 6:46 pm

Forgot about this again.

Sounds like they got home in a game where they shouldn't have struggled as badly.  

The top order seem to be having a horrible time in tests and odi.

trott needs time out.

Wonder if this will be it for this series given the forcast.

I see MJ and his prediction that he will scare the eng team blew up in his face getting battered for the win n that last over.  He needs to just talk less and play to his best.  He can be good and will surely be back for his home test where he plays well. Time for the barmy army to get after him.

The scratch team getting a win at all has to be a good thing for eng I guess.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 14 Sep 2013, 6:54 pm

England really got away with this one - doubt there will be many ODIs where quite so many close calls go their way. If Buttler's LBW had been a centimetre closer to leg-stump I doubt they would have gotten home. On the flip side, if Clarke's LBW had been a centimetre higher than they may have been chasing a whole lot more. However they made the most of their luck - just.

Carberry didn't convince me - sure he stuck it out, but he seems to have a very limited range of scoring areas, both for singles and boundaries; ditto Stokes with the bat (he bowled very nicely at times). Was impressed again by Buttler; Rankin bowled very well.

Australia will rue the collapse with the bat which gave England a chaseable target, and some missed chances in the field. They also got their lines a bit messed up to Buttler (too much room) and Stokes (too straight). Bailey continues to impress. Clarke's technique against the short ball may be a worry for the return ashes.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 14 Sep 2013, 6:57 pm

If you're gong to need perfect luck to beat such scratch sides Mike then you're problems look as deep as ours I think.

You'll no doubt get the last one weather allowing. It's just a shame it won't have been won between two top choice sides.

I glad the paying home fans got to see a win, they've been pretty short changed here in this series.  The selectors didnt care about the results, just development but it still seems unfair to the paying customer to me.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Sep 2013, 12:01 pm

Watched this last night...may not have been the classiest ODI ever played but it was certainly entertaining - as games where there is a bit for the bowlers often are.
I think "got away with" is a bit harsh : yes England had the luck going their way ( not so much the lbw calls , which were close but correct , as the Stokes escape when he appeared to get a touch to an attempted hook...his loss then would have made it very hard for Butler ! And the toss...)
But apart from that Australia did it to themselves with a lot of missed throws that would have brought run outs - and the worst wicket keeper drop you will ever see.
But really England were down and out at 8/3 , and Morgan , Carberry and Butler deserve a lot of credit for fighting back to win it. Butler was brilliant in the last ten overs and as long as he got enough strike he had the game covered from some way out , even though it actually took to the last few balls to finish.
I am not convinced by Carberry , gutsy effort though it was. He looks a bit like another Compton to me : decent player , but not a long term international opener. Guess we will see him again Monday but not sure he will become a regular.
Nice to see Morgan confirmed as back in form.
Johnson was consistently fast , and quite dangerous early on. But Butler monstered him at the finish , and he was well out bowled by Mackay , whose penultimate over was excellent to say nothing of the early hat trick , and the economical Coulter-Nile.
Bailey continues to impress. I think Australia need to try him him in the long game too.
Bet Trott is wishing he had been rested for these matches Smile 

One more game (weather permitting) and these two teams can get a few weeks break from each other...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 15 Sep 2013, 12:32 pm

Good summary Alfie.

I really wish they were getting a much longer break.

I hope we don't see any back to back series in future, its total overkill.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 15 Sep 2013, 1:08 pm

Good to see Buttler and Morgan find some form, Buttler's so dangerous
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun 15 Sep 2013, 2:54 pm

England got away with it IMO to the extent that it was more a case of Australia losing it (the end of innings collapse which was mostly self-inflicted, apart from the excellent delivery from Rankin to dismiss Bailey, the endless missed run-outs, of which at least 2 should have been taken, to dismiss Stokes and Buttler respectively, and of course Wade's clanger, although that wasn't so costly).

Having said that Buttler's innings itself was very encouraging. We knew he could play special cameos, but that knock to see England home was of a different nature - nailed the big shots but also kept things ticking, very few dot balls. He looks a bit vulnerable to the ball coming into him, particularly early on, but at number 7 he won't have too many situations where the ball is still doing quite a bit when he comes in.

Stokes was less impressive. He looked very nervous (which is understandable) and had some dodgy running moments - unlike Buttler he didn't seem to have identified who was right or left-handed in the field for example. He looks good off his legs, but I'm struggling to see any other clear areas of strength - he is fine for a number 8, but I don't see test number 6 or 7 potential yet. His bowling continues to impress me with its potential, but at the moment I think England have it right in that he is more of a bowling all-rounder, which is surprising because at Durham he is very much the opposite. I'll try and watch a bit more of him at county level...

Carberry just doesn't convince me. Missed an easy run out and again looked out of place in the field (despite everyone saying how good he is, which he is at county level, but this is a step up). Good hand on his catch, having misjudged it. But with the bat his scoring areas look very limited: loads down to third man, but apart from that what were his singles? No real boundary options beyond the square slash, and possibly off his legs. His walk down the pitch worked once out of how many times? Compare to Morgan... It was a gutsy knock, but unfortunately for him it just highlighted his limitations further.

I think with the ball Rankin has possibly bowled himself onto the plane to Australia ahead of Tremlett. I can't see England taking Tremlett, Finn and Rankin. He is bowling a similar length to what he used to for Ireland, but with a bit more pace and obviously hits the pitch hard because nobody really has managed to pull him away convincingly. I really really don't like what England through Giles have done to Ireland with him, but have to admit he looks a good bowler.

Tredwell being got after with quite so much ease is a bit of a worry.

I'd like to see what Overton can do in the final game.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Sep 2013, 10:16 pm

Buttler also seemed to have the knack of hitting loads of 2s.  Which suggests he is good at placing his shots.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:29 am

I prefer Buttler at 7 rather than 6. Less pressure to get a big score suits him I think. I still don't like the balance of this side though especially with Australia taking a real liking to Tredwell.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:54 am

Mike, KP, Root and Trott really dug it out didn't they? Oh wait they were all out cheaply. Carberrys fault though..

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 16 Sep 2013, 2:06 pm

I believe this thread is also covering England's remaining ODIs this summer (still summer??) against Australia.

Anyway, Chris Jordan (of Surrey 2nd XI most of last season) makes his England debut. Not too confident ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Sep 2013, 2:07 pm

Finch taking him to the cleaners so far...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 16 Sep 2013, 2:08 pm

Hughes in for Marsh and Ahmed in for Coulter-Nile.
Jordan in for Finn and Wright in for Trott.

Looking forward to see Jordan bowl, looks fairly sharp. Finch has been merciless on anything wide from Jordan though. Would have liked to see Overton play, but no room for two debutants unfortunately.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 2:11 pm

guildfordbat wrote:I believe this thread is also covering England's remaining ODIs this summer (still summer??) against Australia.

Anyway, Chris Jordan (of Surrey 2nd XI most of last season) makes his England debut. Not too confident ....
Had created a new thread for today's game. Perhaps we can move there or the mods can merge the 2.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum