The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General bike chat...

+4
compelling and rich
Azabache
STC
Lumbering_Jack
8 posters

Go down

General bike chat... Empty General bike chat...

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 01 Oct 2013, 11:22 am

Simple really, what do you ride. Any upgrades/suggestions for other board members. Do you race? Have fast are you. Do you have lots of strava koms?

I've got a scott speedster 20. It's a compact frame and I've got full 105 group set (some required upgrading) with ultegra wheels.

It's my first racer so nothing to compare against but I really like the bike. It's quick, responsive and I think it looks great. Will probably get it through this winter then look to a carbon frame.

Ride to work everyday then training rides on the weekend. Looking to compete next year in some cat 3/4 races and see where I go from there. I more than hold my own with the racers in my club so I'm quietly confident of doing ok.

I've got no KOMS at the moment. Not so fussed at the ones in the city centre, they are as much about the conditions than anything else. Got my eye on a couple of category rated climbs round Northumberland. I won't take the KOM but a top 10 would be great.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

General bike chat... Empty Re: General bike chat...

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:11 pm

Led balloon.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:06 am

Hi Lumbering_Jack.

I have a Boardman hybrid that I've lent to my mate (because I want him to buy it off me). It's a bit too big for me. I will either sell it to him or strip it down and sell the frame for a smaller one. My other bike is one I built myself. It's a 1997/8 Marin Bobcat Trail frame that I got real cheap off ebay. I've kitted it out with new Shimano Deore/Alivio and some fairly basic componentry. It's got a 48 chainring, a 12-21 cassette on the back and slick tyres so it goes like sheet off a shovel. It's not a flashy expensive bit of kit but it's solid and reliable and it's my bike and I love it like I love my children.

I ride up to 3 times a week. Nothing over 25 miles. I just do it for general fitness and the sheer joy of it. I used to time trial in my early twenties but I don't want to push myself so hard these days.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:04 pm

You're never too old. Horner is 42 and just won a grand tour!! I still get the run around off some of the older guys in the club, seriously good riders.

12-21 is a fairly compact cassette. Take it you don't do any serious climbing?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:16 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:You're never too old. Horner is 42 and just won a grand tour!! I still get the run around off some of the older guys in the club, seriously good riders.

12-21 is a fairly compact cassette. Take it you don't do any serious climbing?
I may return to the old club time trials on a Tuesday evening next year. Been saying that for years though. I can imagine the look on their faces when I turn up on an old MTB with slick tyres on.

I'm doing quite a bit of running at the moment, it's taking priority over my cycling. These things tend to change though.

12-21 is quite a tight block, yes, but becuase I have a 28-38-48 triple on the front I can get up most climbs on the small chainring, just about.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:43 pm

Ah you've got a triple. You said you had a 48, I assumed (though thought it strange) you only had a 'big ring'.

I run a 12-28 on my compact 50-34 to the gear changing isn't as I'd like. Going to get a 12-25 or possibly even 23 as I seldom need the lowest gearing. Couple of sharp 25% climbs round my way which I can just blast up.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

Can we leave the size of my ring out of this?

Once it's clean and oiled up it's smooth as silk anyway.

STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Tue 08 Oct 2013, 3:28 pm

50-36
13-26

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 22 Oct 2013, 11:17 am

started riding to work, haven't got the first clue about bikes if im honest. got a felt six 80 2013 mountain bike and need some mud guards for it. is there a specific set i'll need to get with me having front suspension? and should all normal mud guards fit to my frame (21.5 inch)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 22 Oct 2013, 11:27 am

Don't know the first thing about mountain biking unfortunately. Sure some of the guys on here will help though...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 01 Nov 2013, 9:18 am

Not cycled for years even though I have a tricked up Kona MTB hung up in my garage. I used to do a bit of fire trails, high alpine tours etc, but not bothered with it for years and took up golf. I'm now almost at the point where I'll be parting with some hard earned cash for a new Boardam CX Team. I'm hoping someone can talk me out of going down again today and doing the deal.

I'm over 55 and really need to get some fitness back as golf is only a walk with a few hills. I need to get my heart doing a bit more so decided to get a road bike with some low gearing to ease the climbs, fairly light and can do a bit of towpath type stuff. I'm guessing a cross bike will be a bit heavier but have the gearing and power and be able to have guards fitted so that it can be ridden throughout the winter. I would get a racer as it should be lighter but probably not able to use it a lot of the time without getting a wet arse or sliding off the black stuff on wet icy roads.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 01 Nov 2013, 10:50 am

Doc
Interesting choice - doubt many of us have much experience of riding a true cyclocross bike. I guess it's pretty similar to the tech they use on the hybrids but with the advantage of the drop bars*. Probably a good compromise in terms of on road performance and durability - won't be as responsive as a pure road bike on the road and you will be lugging a bit more weight up hills (but then does the extra 2kg of the bike matter that much under the 80kg of the rider...), but as you say the gearing should suit your needs and the bike should be more robust for use in poor weather and for riding off properly finished surfaces.

* Never underestimate how much more comfortable riding can be when you have the option of changing your hand position and particularly the set of your wrists - I hate riding MTBs for any distance because of pain in the hands and wrists from them being stuck in one position all the time.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 01 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm

Cheers dummy (seems strange replying like that without being offensive) I know what you mean about MTBiking. Me and a mate around 15-years ago hopped onto that coach with trailer that drops cyclists off all the way through France and picks them up at pre arranged date/times. We jumped off near Orange with my mate and his road bike and me with my Kona shod in new slick road tyres and paniers. 2-weeks cycling around Provence in August is tiring at the best of times but on a MTB it hurts. We saw Ventoux but decided against it. In the end we cycled until lunch and then pitched up the tent and went on the lash as a full day really hurt.

Today I'm not bothered about long distance rides or speed records, I just want to enjoy getting out there again and get some fitness back. The bike is the difficult part as I'm willing to spend £2k but want it to be a good fit and useable most of the time and be able to get me up hills without difficulty and also able to have mudguards to keep the crud off. There are a few local bike shops but they tend to concentrate on either cheap stuff or BMX/MTB the nearest decent place is Halfords, hence the Boardman CX option. Just wish there was a decent option rather than Halfords as I've read some really bad reviews about their fitting service.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 01 Nov 2013, 12:42 pm

What about the CX from Decathlon as an alternative to Halfords one?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/btwin-cyclo-x-id_8273355.html

Decathlon bikes always get great write ups and I do find their staff in the Nottingham store actually know what they are talking about, which is not something you would ever say about most Halfords staff.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 01 Nov 2013, 1:13 pm

Thanks for that VTR not a bad looking bike although think it needs a few upgrades especially the wheels as they're the older heavier Mavics. Nottingham is a bit of a schlep though, but I'll keep it in mind.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 01 Nov 2013, 1:21 pm

Yes Nottingham would be too far if you are in Cheshire but there must be a Decathlon nearer than that to you, is there one in Manchester?

I am definitely with you on Halfords anyway, they do some excellent bikes but let clueless idiots put them together, seems some stores are even doing Pinarello now, the mind boggles!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 01 Nov 2013, 1:55 pm

VTR I may have it sussed as Decathlon have a store in Warrington, although the web site is shyte and not very clear on specifications etc. However also in Warrington is a store called CycleHouse which seems to carry a lot of stock. Just been looking at some cannondale Caadex bikes with a decent spec and discs plus a Whyte Saxon with discs and decent groupset all around the £1k mark. may be worth a visit this weekend

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 01 Nov 2013, 3:18 pm

thumbsup Sounds like either way you will be sorted soon without the dreaded Halfords

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 01 Nov 2013, 8:05 pm

You of course have the option of getting the bike from halfords and building it yourself.

I don't personally own a boardman but the Mrs does as do several members of my cycling club. They are all racers, carbon framed and have at least a 105 group set with upgraded wheels. They all absolutely love them for the price.

They are responsive, handle well and fly up the hills. Think it is a safe bet to assume the CX will also be to a high standard.

Boardman are making in roads to the pro scene, with the Brownlee brothers using them on tri's.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mon 18 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:You of course have the option of getting the bike from halfords and building it yourself.

I don't personally own a boardman but the Mrs does as do several members of my cycling club. They are all racers, carbon framed and have at least a 105 group set with upgraded wheels. They all absolutely love them for the price.

They are responsive, handle well and fly up the hills. Think it is a safe bet to assume the CX will also be to a high standard.

Boardman are making in roads to the pro scene, with the Brownlee brothers using them on tri's.
That's the route I went down last time. I support the view on the Boardman's as well. The bikes are fundamentally decent enough, but the setting up by staff there shockingly bad. When I bought the bike it was theoretically ready to ride, in practice it wasn't safe to ride (I'll spare the details as thinking about it will just make me cross). Nice rider after I checked it over and set it up properly myself though.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 19 Nov 2013, 2:29 pm

THings are still developing, because of a couple of reasons. Although Halfords is near and I like the look of the CX team, I heard that the bike is subject to a recall due to some 'minor cracking on the tube/seat post'. All new bikes to be sent bike for modification and sold bikes replaced with new. That sounds bad so I'm giving it a miss. I also dont like the thought of trusting their fitters with my bike.

So the latest is that I'm in contact with the guy from Cyclestore in Congleton. He's sent me details of a few bikes and made some recomendations/comments and although he has a racer and a cross bike for winter, he thinks either a cross or a couple of endurance bikes fit the bill as enduro bikes can also have guards fitted etc.

Cannondale Synapse AL105 and Giant TCX SLR Disc look fantastic, so I may be nipping up to have a look and a chat

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down