The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

which teams do you miss having in the Premier League?

+14
dyrewolfe
hornbloweroafc
Maxim Tsigalko
owen10ozzy
JamesLincs
CFCNick
compelling and rich
TopoftheChops
NickisBHAFC
westisbest
Nakatomi Plaza
Dolphin Ziggler
Hero
hbk48942
18 posters

Go down

which teams do you miss having in the Premier League? Empty which teams do you miss having in the Premier League?

Post by hbk48942 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 9:47 pm

as a championship fan(Bolton) i often hear , Forest , Leeds , Wednesday fans going on about how they should be in the premier league and how the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal would love to have this teams back so i was just wondering if this was true and i was just wondering if there was anyone else you miss having in the premier league team wise.

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

which teams do you miss having in the Premier League? Empty Re: which teams do you miss having in the Premier League?

Post by Hero Thu 10 Oct 2013, 9:56 pm

As a Man Utd fan I'd love Leeds back in the top flight just for the rivalry. It was the same when City went down the leagues, whilst it was fun to rib fans at the teams poor fortune, at the same time something was missing from the season without the fixture against them.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

which teams do you miss having in the Premier League? Empty Re: which teams do you miss having in the Premier League?

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:04 pm

None really. Leeds dont have the same lustre anymore. Forest would do but its been a long time. A few years away and you kind of think it would be good, but its past the point now and most of these teams dont deserve it till theyve really earned it.

As an East Anglian I wouldnt mind Ipswich back up. In fact, it would be great for loads of team I could get to easily to flood into the league. I know a lot of people who would say Pompey over all the teams mentioned, the ground has a feel to it that many dont.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:06 pm

Probably Forest, mainly because they were such a big side when I started watching Football.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:38 pm

Portsmouth.

Well supported club. Also not far away, so another game to go to.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:11 pm

Nottingham Forest IMO are still one of the biggest clubs in the country, so obviously im sure there missed by a lot of people. I wouldn't want them in the prem simply because of Billy Davies. But huge huge club, sure they will be back where they should be. Still can't believe i saw them play in league one ... twice. 

Leeds another huge football club, would love to see them back in the prem to face United. There fans are amazing, even though they do have a lot of idiots. Like i said with Forest, can't quite believe i saw Leeds in league one. 

Random one, but i would like to see Sheffield United back in the prem.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:28 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:None really. Leeds dont have the same lustre anymore. Forest would do but its been a long time. A few years away and you kind of think it would be good, but its past the point now and most of these teams dont deserve it till theyve really earned it.

As an East Anglian I wouldnt mind Ipswich back up. In fact, it would be great for loads of team I could get to easily to flood into the league. I know a lot of people who would say Pompey over all the teams mentioned, the ground has a feel to it that many dont.
Good choice Dolphin

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 11 Oct 2013, 1:21 am

always like pompey when they were in there and shame what has happened to them, so would be good to see them recovery and be back up there even though they always gave us a game at fratton park

as others have said leeds would be good to add another rival in there.

other than that i like to see the local teams in there, not many will remember them being in the first place but i have always followed oldham when not at united games so would be good to them back up there after many years of struggle. also never minded bolton and wigan when they were there, small clubs but at least tried to be run the right way

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri 11 Oct 2013, 9:59 am

I'm gonna ignore the obvious ones and include a couple that I grew up with in the Prem. Charlton and Middlesbrough.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Fri 11 Oct 2013, 11:33 am

Ipswich and Leeds

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Fri 11 Oct 2013, 12:38 pm

wimbledon

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 11 Oct 2013, 12:51 pm

CFCNick you are my new favourite poster! Would love to see Middlesbrough back in, as a supporter but just in general. They were a team who punched above there weight for many years and only on a few occasions got stuck in relegation battles.

Plus we brought the likes of Juninho, Emerson, Ravanelli, Boksic to the club. In fact whilst everyone praises the likes of Swansea *and rightly so* for coming up and playing football the right way....we were possibly the very first team to do this way back in 94!

Sadly don't think we will be returning any time soon!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Fri 11 Oct 2013, 1:19 pm

owen, is carayol in your first team?

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxim Tsigalko Fri 11 Oct 2013, 1:38 pm

I always felt sorry for 'Boro the season they went down after that points deduction for failing to field a team against Blackburn (?) . If only they knew at the time that fielding a youth team and getting stuffed 10 - 0 would have kept them up I'm sure they would have done it.

Only slight problem with 'Boro (and a couple of other sides) is that they struggled to fill their grounds, even when they were in the top flight.

It's a shame always a shame to see big clubs with proper histories like Leeds, Forest, Wednesday etc languishing. I reckon in the case of Forest and Leeds though that they're too big to stay out of the top tier indefinitely.

Maxim Tsigalko

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 11 Oct 2013, 3:21 pm

Middlesbrough are just a boring club. Half empty ground, dead atmosphere. Boring.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 11 Oct 2013, 3:25 pm

Always liked Sheffield United under Bassett.

Was sorry to see them go down.

Wolves were another i liked seeing in the prem.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri 11 Oct 2013, 3:29 pm

Only because you were a guaranteed 3 point away trip, Owen! Whistle 

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Fri 11 Oct 2013, 3:32 pm

Oldham Athletic! - A little biased but always like a small club punching above their weight and embarrassing a few of the billy big balls clubs. Was a memorable 2 seasons (founder members) with a couple of semi final cup runs.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri 11 Oct 2013, 3:48 pm

Oldham were a great side in the early 90s, played some really good stuff. I've never seen a goal devastated a side so badly as Hughes equaliser at Wembley in 94 Hornblower. I'm convinced had you beaten United, you'd have grown in confidence and stayed up that year.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 11 Oct 2013, 3:50 pm

Nikis half empty ground with crap atmosphere now perhaps....back in the day though if thats what you claim your talking nonsense. For the size of the town Middlesbrough were never going to fill a 35,000 seater stadium...shouldn't have been built any bigger than 26000 at a push; and take into account the poverty of the area.

Our old stadium had one of the best atmospheres you would find around English football and our hardcore supporters are some of the best also, especially our away travel. We regularly took 3500 plus around the country week in week out whether it was down the road or East Anglia for an away game against Ipswich.

I have no sympathy for big clubs like Leeds going down as the way they ran the club was always going to end in disaster. I also don't agree with this philosophy that teams are too big to go down!, if you go down you deserve it and if you go down with financial instability due to plunging money you haven't got into players then no ones fault but the club. Boro are of course guilty of doing that, now were paying the price!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 11 Oct 2013, 4:08 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Middlesbrough are just a boring club. Half empty ground, dead atmosphere. Boring.
We are now, but we didn't disgrace the Premier League while we were up there. Also got crowds of well over 20,000 for most games, closer to 30,000 for the big teams.

Sadly we don't have the funds to finance a promotion push...and the fans (or lack of them, these days) are a real disappointment.

About the only positive is that we do play some good football and if we could tighten our defence up a bit, we'd probably be a decent Championship side.

Thanks for the vote in any case. A bit premature though, as we're nowhere near ready to be in the Prem and probably won't be for at least a couple more seasons.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 11 Oct 2013, 4:25 pm

The fans are appalling this year dyre, though the fact that our ticket prices have remained static for the vast majority of our tenure in the Championship hasn't helped. Nor did the football played under Strachan which drove thousands away who haven't returned...he made McClaren look like an attacking god when it came to tactics!

I agree that we aren't ready for the Premier League, however I fear that if we don't go up in the next two years we will go backwards and face multiple relegations. That can be said for a lot of teams in the division at the moment mind. With the increase in TV money in the Premiership which comes into play this season *could be next im not 100% sure* i think you will get between 2-4 clubs yoyo'ing up and down for the next 5 years....those being relegated will have such a huge advantage over those in the division teams will not be able to compete.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Fri 11 Oct 2013, 7:24 pm

I'd like Wolves back in the Premier League. Never tired of seeing them embarass themselves against us.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sat 12 Oct 2013, 7:19 am

Mainly teams that have been away for a while. Forest, Wednesday, Ipswich, and Reading, and Watford, as they are local(ish).

Not Middlesborough, boring club. Nor Leeds, as their is a Leeds fan at work who will be gloating all season.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sat 12 Oct 2013, 1:02 pm

middlesborough if im right is a very small place, isnt it? competing with its bigger north east neighbours, also being on the coastline you lose half the area most other clubs have to cover. and theyre on the border of yorkshire.. it all adds up

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 12 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

I'd like Ip5w1ch to come up so we can spank em a few times a year
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 15 Oct 2013, 12:15 am

I was born and raised in Preston and could see the floodlights from my bedroom window when I was a kid, so I'm hoping Preston North End make it to the Prem one day. They made the Championship play offs a couple of times but just couldn't go all the way. I think they're the only Lancashire team that haven't made it to the Prem.

Showing my age a bit here, but I remember my parents taking me to a game when I was a kid and Bobby Charlton was their player manager.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:59 am

Atila wrote:I was born and raised in Preston and could see the floodlights from my bedroom window when I was a kid, so I'm hoping Preston North End make it to the Prem one day. They made the Championship play offs a couple of times but just couldn't go all the way. I think they're the only Lancashire team that haven't made it to the Prem.

Showing my age a bit here, but I remember my parents taking me to a game when I was a kid and Bobby Charlton was their player manager.
bury and rochdale (you could say there greater manchester but they class themselves as Lancashire), accrington stanley, lancaster, morecambe all haven't but understand what your staying, preston are much bigger club than any of these. perhaps the only bigger club who haven't made it

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down