The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto

+7
hazharrison
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Gerry SA
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
mobilemaster8
Boxtthis
11 posters

Go down

Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto Empty Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto

Post by Boxtthis Wed 16 Oct 2013, 9:28 am

There's a rumour flying around that this fight is getting made. What do you all think about it?

Cotto is getting some (perhaps slightly exaggerated) hype after his last performance and Sergio is due a fight against one of the sport's big draws and money makers. I can fully understand why this is more attractive to him than Golovkin or Quillan or someone. This might be his first and last chance at a very big pay day.

Is the weight difference a huge issue? It's a shame Cotto isn't a bit bigger.

Does Sergio have anything left?

Answers on a postcard please.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto Empty Re: Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 9:36 am

What's your address mate?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 16 Oct 2013, 9:40 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:What's your address mate?
Took me a couple of seconds to work out what the eff you were talking about there.

Forget the postcards. Answers on here. It's much faster.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:14 am

Haha.

Errr well i think its a good fight to start off.

I think Martinez is on a big decline, however, its hard to gauge. His fight with Murray showed us that, but was he up for it against a no name?

Would he be better against a big fighter, big name and big pay day?

If he performs like he did vs Chavez then he stops Cotto.

Cotto looked to have turned back time in his last fight against an average opponent, worked the body very well with his trademark left hooks.

If i had to bet id go with the speed and awkwardness of Sergio via a LKO or a wide but possibly controversial UD depending on which Cotto turns up.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:25 am

Theorectically a good fight on paper and will probably sell well but as folk are saying on here, if you look past the names and look at where they are in their respective careers, it's a bit of a "meh!"

Hard to see where the winner goes as neither would appear willing to face the likes of Golovkin and would Mayweather be interested in a fight with Martinez or a rematch with Cotto?

Still, I think the pair of them have done enough over the years to earn a decent payday and so I wouldn't begrudge them but I can't honestly say it's one I'll get overly excited about

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:33 am

Cotto looked to have turned back time in his last fight against an average opponent, worked the body very well with his trademark left hooks.

If i had to bet id go with the speed and awkwardness of Sergio via a LKO or a wide but possibly controversial UD depending on which Cotto turns up..
For me the jury is still out on whether Roach has had a noticeable effect on Cotto, or he just looked very good against a sub-standard opponent in the last fight. I suspect it's the latter but I hope to be proved wrong as I really like Cotto.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:34 am

Martinez's performance against Murray was poor due to the injured knee(sustained against Chavez Jr) not being fully healed - since has had further surgery to solve the problem.

Martinez will be too slick for Cotto.

It will be similar to Martinez vs Chavez Jr.

Martinez by UD

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:35 am

Couldn't agree more Col.

Im a big fan of cotto, hard working down to earth type guy so it seems, and a very good fighter.

He is still young in comparison so a switch in trainer may benefit his career especially with roach.

He needs that ruthless energy back which he has punched out of him by Marg.

Hopefully roach can give us all a couple of years with a very aggressive Cotto, something i think a lot will struggle with.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:43 am

Sergio will stop Cotto late IMO.

HBO seem to be salivating over Cotto after beating an ESPN Friday Night Fights fighter.

Martinez's movement will be enough to circle Cotto and maybe catch him with that big overhand that Paul Williams tasted.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 11:04 am

And it did not taste good....

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:21 pm

Easy win for Martinez unless the latest injuries have basically ruined him

I like Cotto, but he is a welterweight. I think that was evident against Trout,  he doesn't have the power to stop someone dead in there tracks at 154 and he has to use so much energy just getting to the in side where he can be bullied

Rodriguez was a good win but Rodriguez isn't a strong LMW and he isn't a very good one

Martinez on the other hand is used to fighting big Middleweights like Chavez, Murray, Pavlik etc and has shown he can trade and hurt these bigger men,  so providing he stays strong then he shpuld hurt Cotto without too much problem

If it's at middleweight, Cotto wants to be the first 4 weight Puerto Rican, then all roads point to martinez by stoppage but at 154 we don't know hoe Martinez will look so it could get interesting

It is a bit of a crossroads fight as the winner could get Floyd or barring that Canelo who is a big name and a big money spinner so there is an incentive to win for both

Martinez LKO after dominating the fight

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:27 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Couldn't agree more Col.

Im a big fan of cotto, hard working down to earth type guy so it seems, and a very good fighter.

He is still young in comparison so a switch in trainer may benefit his career especially with roach.

He needs that ruthless energy back which he has punched out of him by Marg.

Hopefully roach can give us all a couple of years with a very aggressive Cotto, something i think a lot will struggle with.
He may not be that old in years & younger than martinez but the guy has fought at a high level for a long time. He's been matched hard against fighters at or very close to there prime and been in some wars, notably Margarito & manny which take there toll. Never a ducker, cherry picker or waiting for a fighter on the slide, gets everybodys respect but doesn't ensure a long career at the very top. Fought well against mayweather & as others have said deserves one last payday, as does martinez. Feel martinez is gonna be to big for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:38 pm

sohotnot wrote: He's been matched hard against fighters at or very close to there prime and been in some wars, notably Margarito & manny which take there toll. Never a ducker, cherry picker or waiting for a fighter on the slide, gets everybodys respect but doesn't ensure a long career at the very top. Fought well against mayweather & as others have said deserves one last payday, as does martinez. Feel martinez is gonna be to big for him.
He really has fought the best:

Martinez (potentially)
Manny (at probably his peak/most destructive)
Floyd

and then

Mosely (when he was still dangerous)
Margarito (when he was a monster)
Zab (when he was still decent)

plus a bunch of other solid wins.

He'll go down as a seriously well respected champion. But, in this case, I think Martinez is too big/strong and is mobile/smart enough to make that advantage count. Huge respect if Cotto takes the fight.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:03 pm

Martinez has professed a desire for two more fights -- Cotto (a huge money maker) and then the dreaded Golovkin.

Cotto matches up well with just about everybody and has the option of an Alvarez fight also (should he fare well against Sergio).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:23 pm

hazharrison wrote:Martinez has professed a desire for two more fights -- Cotto (a huge money maker) and then the dreaded Golovkin.

Cotto matches up well with just about everybody and has the option of an Alvarez fight also (should he fare well against Sergio).

I think Cotto will do ok, but I don't think he'd beat Martinez on average. Depends what Martinez has left. Cotto and Golovkin are two great fights for Martinez to bow out on. He was never getting Floyd or Manny, so Cotto is the next best prize money-wise. That, plus his almost top-tier-pay-day against Jr should be a decent reward for someone who's been a really respectable champion. Beating Pavlik for the title was impressive, and he had a great streak of KOs against good opponents.

If I were Cotto I'd take the Canelo fight. It's probably bigger, and he has more chance of winning. It's got the whole PR and Mexico thing, and it's a fight that both sets of fans will think their guy can win. Wouldn't mind Martinez vs Alvarez either come to think of it - although I don't think Canelo's handlers put him near that one after him losing.

Martinez vs Golovkin is a great fight for Sergio to bow out on. He either goes out as a great MW champion or he passes the torch.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:40 pm

Cotto used to say he would retire if he ever got outboxed, embarrassed or seriously hurt. Go away now Cotto. A win against a poor opponent and suddenly everyone thinks hes back to the big time. Hes embarrassed himself enough times with poor performances and excuses, time to sling his hook. The guy is just a bully. As soon as he comes up against somebody bigger or stronger he gets on his bike or goes into his shell. Then shouts his mouth off to the whole world if he batters somebody half his size or useless

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:44 pm

Think that's a bit harsh Lance.

his defeat against Marg where he got battered is in the air based on the wrap scandal and he beat him in the rematch.

he fought pacquiao at a catchweight and did so when Manny was in his prime. Kudos for that.

Now he may be in with yet another p4p fighter in Martinez and he put on a good effort against Floyd.

How has he embarrassed himself mate? Please explain.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:45 pm

To be fair, I've never heard Cotto mouth off -- humble guy. Can't think of when he's embarrassed himself either.

The business needs Cotto -- one of its few draws.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:47 pm

with what he says. He always thinks after a win hes back to being undefeated and that the Pac and Trout defeats have been forgotten. Some of his fans seem to agree too. I know im being a bit harsh but this guys career is totally overhyped. He always comes across as very bitter too. when hes lost he only fought for money...when he wins hes a warrior.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:48 pm

Carl Froch says the same mate.

Ive never heard him gob off or speak out of turn.

If anything he is very humble and a good fighter to watch.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:49 pm

hazharrison wrote:To be fair, I've never heard Cotto mouth off -- humble guy. Can't think of when he's embarrassed himself either.

The business needs Cotto -- one of its few draws.

Ive heard him mouth off. But he is still a draw. Hence why we get this constant revising of what stage his career is at. He wont go away until they stop throwing money at him. I think he should retire and look after his family, like he said he would before his defeats

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:50 pm

Hope it happens and would favour Martinez. Got a feeling if made it'll be at 160ibs to give Cotto the chance of winning another title at another weight, which wouldn't help him at all.

Like both guys so wouldn't side on anyone and would just sit back and enjoy.

It makes sense for both as it will enhance either legacy.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 16 Oct 2013, 7:19 pm

Lance wrote:Cotto used to say he would retire if he ever got outboxed, embarrassed or seriously hurt. Go away now Cotto. A win against a poor opponent and suddenly everyone thinks hes back to the big time. Hes embarrassed himself enough times with poor performances and excuses, time to sling his hook. The guy is just a bully. As soon as he comes up against somebody bigger or stronger he gets on his bike or goes into his shell. Then shouts his mouth off to the whole world if he batters somebody half his size or useless
When did he embarrass himself? I've only ever seen him truly dismantled by Pacquiao. He outboxed Margarito for much of their fight until Margarito took over. But Margarito was a beast, and there's a strong suspicion that he had plaster in his wraps. I certainly think he did, going on the evidence. He gave Floyd his closest fight in ages. He looked out of sorts against Trout - fair enough. Very little embarrassment in these losses over an entire career - and plenty of really good wins. Very little excuse making or running his mouth in comparison to other fighters. Your statement here is really bizarre and disrespectful.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Jab Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:05 am

Lance my friend, they are hasty words said in the heat of the moment I'm sure. Perhaps we can turn a blind eye.

A part of me wants this fight to happen, I personally think it would be fascinating to watch, a lot of question marks over both fighters at this stage in their careers that this fight would help answer, at least to some degree.

Another part of me doesn't want to see it. Simply because, as has been implied, Cotto is a Welterweight, Martinez is not. Especially at this stage of proceedings and given past brutal wars, I'm loathe to see Cotto in there with very skilled guys he is naturally far smaller than.

I give the man respect for taking on all comers, but I do fear he's on a hiding to nothing fighting anywhere near 160. His power will be diminished to the point of negligible, the new/old aggressive approach will suddenly have to go out of the window, because he will a) take spiteful bombs administering it and b) will find that it isn't half as potent as at welter. We then we end up with grim prospect of a mid round Cotto tiring, gassing and trying to box an ageing yet still supreme, slick middleweight with power whilst running for survival for the next 6 rounds. Resulting in a devastating late TKO or lopsided UD.

Jab

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:33 am

Lance hates Cotto, that much was clear after he berated him after he beat Margarito in the rematch and cried because he lost money.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jab Thu 17 Oct 2013, 12:08 pm

I don't really understand how it's possible to hate Cotto, or berate him, in any shape of form. Crying over money lost in gambling is fools game.

Folk really do have strange grudges against certain boxers, then again some have strange infatuations as well. Did D4 finally settle down inside the bumhole of a small Filipino?

Jab

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 17 Oct 2013, 12:35 pm

Jab wrote:I don't really understand how it's possible to hate Cotto, or berate him, in any shape of form.
I know. He barely speaks! So many other boxers out there that you could better direct your vitriol toward (if that's your thing).

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:17 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Lance hates Cotto, that much was clear after he berated him after he beat Margarito in the rematch and cried because he lost money.
Used to like Cotto. But the guy is just a gold digger these days. He fights with no pride or passion like he used to. So many people are quick to jump on this bandwagon of him being humble and a nice guy. He barely speaks English and we hear little of what he has to say. Look into him a bit further and you might find hes not what you think he is.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:23 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
Jab wrote:I don't really understand how it's possible to hate Cotto, or berate him, in any shape of form.
I know. He barely speaks! So many other boxers out there that you could better direct your vitriol toward (if that's your thing).
he speaks a lot. just not in English. He very much divides opinions in Puerto rico, where some consider him a great and other consider him very arrogant with little heart.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:08 pm

Lance wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Lance hates Cotto, that much was clear after he berated him after he beat Margarito in the rematch and cried because he lost money.
Used to like Cotto. But the guy is just a gold digger these days.
A boxer fighting for money? What a b@stard! Whatever next?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down