The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CANFORD CLIFFS

+2
Solerina
racingnut
6 posters

Go down

CANFORD CLIFFS Empty CANFORD CLIFFS

Post by racingnut Sat 14 May 2011, 4:08 pm

Just watched the hyped up return of Canford Cliffs in what was a decent renewal of the Lockinge.As usual i watch the tv racing with the commentary turned down,i reckon you take more in if you have to watch it that way, and i have to say i thought he was only an ok performance.Yes he travelled well but he always does and yes it was his first run for 300 days but he found precious little off the bridle when popped the question.Switched ATR and listened to Weaver spouting his usual claptrap about how superior he was blah..blah..blah.Lets be honest,he is the best of the older milers but that isnt saying much is it.Aside from Dick Turpin(he just screams a need for softer ground) this bunch didnt add up to much as the trip was all wrong for Twice Over and on various formlines through Red Jazz he had the beating of all the rest.The Queen Anne probably wont tell us much more to be honest and its only when he runs against the three year olds,notably Frankel that we'll really get a handle on how good he is.Have to be honest,i dont think he'd hold a candle to the 2000 winner but racings about opinions.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

CANFORD CLIFFS Empty Re: CANFORD CLIFFS

Post by Solerina Sat 14 May 2011, 4:46 pm

Thanks for your opinion on that, Racing......always interesting to read.

That's a good idea watching the race without commentary........I would never have thought of doing that.....easier to make a more balanced judgement of a performance.

After watching Frankel win the 2000gns I'd have to say I think he could eat Canford Cliffs for breakfast.

Anyway I know very little about the Flat.....will be interesting to follow these two for the rest of the season : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Sat 14 May 2011, 6:59 pm

Reading through some of the articles of the various media outlets and all you get is"He'll be better with a stronger pace and in a better race"....if Frankel sets the fractions he did in the 2000 when they meet then Canford will be dead and buried after 4f.I dont care how much of a "high cruising speed" Canford has got,he wont live with Frankel so long as his 2000 exertions havent got to the bottom of him.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Grahame1971 Sat 14 May 2011, 9:55 pm

With regards to todays performance, I think Canford Cliffs did as much as expected first time out, he only pulled away in the last half furlong but did finish the race like he was wading through glue. Canford Cliffs will improve for this run and the field was decent enough however there was no Goldikova, and certainly no Frankel present. All i can say is that, today Canford Cliffs won his race, and won it well enough BUT what we all want to see is the big three line up against each other and in my mind there will only be one winner and that will be FRANKEL ...... a freak of nature and a racing superstar of the 21st century i truly believe he will be !!!

Grahame1971

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Sun 15 May 2011, 1:20 pm

Until the generations clash then both camps are basically "marking time" with their respective charges.Frankel has nothing to fear from any of the 3yo milers on all the evidence that we have and Canford has nothing to fear from the older brigade,Goldikova excepted.I have a feeling that one of the camps will swerve the Sussex and it wont be until the QE2 that we get the awaited clash.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Flyingbolt Mon 16 May 2011, 4:36 pm

Unless I'm mistaken if he takes Frankel on in the Sussex, won't he have to concede 8lbs?
Bearing that in mind I wouldn't be surprised to see him step up and try 10f after the Queen Anne? Wait for the QEII if they want to take Frankel on where I think its only 4lbs ("only" he says......against Frankel!)

In terms of the Queen Anne I think Canford Cliffs will take care of Goldikova. She gets a little weight but was only a neck ahead of Paco Boy last season and Canford Cliffs is better than him!

Flyingbolt

Back to top Go down

Post by CelticLuke Tue 17 May 2011, 1:45 pm

The Queen Anne has been priced up as a 2 runner affair (11/8 Goldikova, 6/4 Canford Cliffs, 10's Bar) and to be honest I wouldn't want to call the winner between these 2 as should be as close as the market predicts.

Should either ever race against Frankel though then I could only see 1 winner and that would be Cecil's colt.

Would say that Canford Cliffs looked good at the weekend but no more than that.

CelticLuke

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 18 May 2011, 8:53 am

Welcome to the forum CelticLuke........I hope you like it here on v2 : )

Please feel free to join in with Grahame's tipping comp at the weekend.......the more the merrier : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Bustino75 Sat 21 May 2011, 8:04 am

This weight thing is overdone. I doubt that Frankel could beat Canford Cliffs at level weights today. In fact I'd be amazed.

The weight for age scale can give 3yos a pound or so less than they should have midsummer, but it's a tried and tested system. Younger horses need to get weight from older hoses; simple as that.

Bustino75

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sat 21 May 2011, 4:12 pm

Welcome to the forum Bustino75.......hope you like it here : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down