The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Degale vs Ward - Far Away?

+9
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Imperial Ghosty
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
D4thincarnation
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Young_Towzer
azania
J.Benson II
Fists of Fury
13 posters

Go down

Degale vs Ward - Far Away? Empty Degale vs Ward - Far Away?

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 15 May 2011, 3:47 pm

Afternoon all

After watching Ward's impressive performance last night where he displayed good handspeed, footwork, shot selection and variety (albeit against an opponent tailor-made for that style), I was thinking, outside of Carl Froch, which fighter is best equipped to 'equalise' these attributes that Ward carries.

Now I know this is a fight that certainly won't happen within the next year, but our very own James Degale (providing he beats Groves comfortably) may just be the answer. Clearly, Degale hasn't fought at anywhere near the required standard to be put in with Ward yet, though he has shown the slick, elusive style that I think would give Ward some real problems. Ward has shown a good, constant work rate, and Degale would certainly have to up his punch output in my opinion to match this, but in terms of talent I think he could just be our answer.

I'd like to see Degale in with some real contenders if he passes the Groves test, maybe Bika or Stieglitz, before looking at a world title. This should give us a pretty good idea of where he is at, and if he is ready for the likes of Ward. Early days, and he has a long way to go, but I just have a feeling that Degale is going to become a real player at world level, and certainly has it in him to rule the Super Middleweight division. Hypothetical at this point in time, but how far away do you think a potential Degale/Ward match up may be, and does anyone think James has what it takes to dethrone what is looking like a very impressive and accomplished fighter in Ward?

For the record, I think Ward beats Froch in a relatively close UD - just a bit too accurate and sharp, coupled with his decent work rate.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Degale vs Ward - Far Away? Empty Re: Degale vs Ward - Far Away?

Post by J.Benson II Sun 15 May 2011, 4:33 pm

Personally, I consider Degale as one of the future stars in the division.
If he fights to his potential, I think he beats Groves handily.
In terms of boxing ability, I agree with you that he could be the man that can give Ward the most problems.
I would currenty rank Ward as the best SMW but it is fairly hard to judge, given that he's yet to face his two biggest rivals to that claim (Froch & Bute).

Of course, its even more difficult to judge Degale, as he's yet to fight someone that beyond domestic level. However, in terms of skill, he looks the real deal imo. Its also worth noting that Ward and Dirrel were pretty unproven before the Super Six.

Assuming he gets past Groves, Warren should try matching him against a solid gatekeeper of the division. Bika, Miranda or Andrande have all got experience at world level and would be good choices. Stieglitz is the WBO champ so the German could be an option for Degale's first world title shot.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 May 2011, 5:14 pm

There's a decent argument for Andre Dirrell. I hear his brother is also useful although I dont know what weight he fights in.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 15 May 2011, 9:15 pm

Yeah Dirrell is a tidy fighter, and certainly has the ability, however he and Ward being good friends threw a spanner in the works last time, and may prove a problem in arranging that matchup.

To echo JB, I really think Degale has it in him to make the SMW division his own, and it'll be interesting to see how long his progression takes up to a fight with Ward.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 15 May 2011, 9:45 pm

DeGale isnt ready for Ward, Dirrell, Froch imo. He has destroyed a poor, poor fighter in Paul Smith, and should do the same to an hyped Groves, then get the European title and see how that goes, what's the rush? Ward is fighting Froch or Johnson next. There's another fighter who wouldn't be a bad fight for DeGale IF he loses to the Cobra which i think he will, Glen Johnson v Carl Froch, Johnson can take shots for 24 rounds, and would be a useful excercise and test for DeGale 6-12 months down the line.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 15 May 2011, 10:23 pm

Didn't say he was, Steven, more a case of when he will be ready, and if you think he may have the tools to clean up?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 15 May 2011, 10:34 pm

I think degale us going to be a great suppermiddleweight. He has all the tools, and ward has shown that you don't need to be a heavy puncher to be a star. The problem for me is that degale needs to catch up fast if they are too meet. Ward will fight in the final and will probably win. He will them take on bute to clear the division. His next move according to him will be at LHW were there seems to be a decent pool of talent and big fights. I can't see degale being amongst the top guys anytime soon. They would meet in some sort of unification fight either at SMW or LHW. Its hard to judge how the fight will go as degale is unproven.

Ward is the real deal imo and will be the dominant force of the higher weights.

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 15 May 2011, 10:38 pm

DeGale could very well beat the like of Ward in the next couple of years.

I wonder if Ward will ever fight abroad?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 15 May 2011, 10:38 pm

I think Warren should have him get 2 more defences of his British title after Groves so he gets it for keeps. MaGee and Dodson would be good imo. They will make him use his slick skills with theri aggression.

After that he should be moved on quickly to guys like Bika and Andrade their is no point in holding him back he needs to be tested.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 15 May 2011, 10:39 pm

Difficult to say with Degale needs to step up pretty quick before the established stars move on

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 15 May 2011, 10:41 pm

DeGale needs to fight for a world title in a years time.

Maybe Abraham or Pavlik by the end of the year.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 15 May 2011, 10:44 pm

Don't know where Abraham goes now tbh he has been shown to not be World level and not to sure he would be to happy at European level again. He isn't exactly exciting so won't get the chances afforded to someone lik Katsidis.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 15 May 2011, 11:04 pm

I'm sure AA can have a career at MW. He won't have so many physical disadvantages like he has at supermiddle. He gets out jabbed too easily and seems to have very poor stamina at the weight.

Degale should look to fight a decent opponent after groves. No point
Going through the domestic levels if he's fighting the only domestic fighter that has a chance against him. He should go after bika, Johnson, Magee, pavlik and then go for steiglitz. From there he will have greater appeal and could be lined up for any of froch, dirrell, ward, bute and Kessler

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 May 2011, 11:19 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:DeGale could very well beat the like of Ward in the next couple of years.

WIll he ever fight outside him hometown?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 15 May 2011, 11:22 pm

azania wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:DeGale could very well beat the like of Ward in the next couple of years.

WIll he ever fight outside him hometown?

Think he's trying to have the super six final in his livingroom and his Mum, Sister and Brother will be the judges.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 15 May 2011, 11:37 pm

DeGale has the skill to fight at world level in the not too distant future, although he can't afford to look past groves right now.

I'm not a fan of ward. He's a dirty hometown fighter. Yes he has skill but p4p top ten? No way. He nutted and mauled his past Kessler. Froch for me is easily divisional no1 at 168lb. I hear ward outclassed AA (sky plussed it but not watched it yet), but that's nothing froch hasn't already done.

SMW was looking a cracking division when the S6 started, but we've seen Taylor retired, Dirrells career halted by injury, likewise Kessler, and AA is having to move back down to 160lb. Divisional journeymen like Bika and Green have had to be drafted in, while the only class left active in the division is Ward and Froch.

And no I haven't forgotten Bute - most overrated fighter in boxing IMO. If DeGale is to target anyone it should be him, then maybe look toward a huge domestic clash with Froch. But all this is 2 years away for DeGale yet, he needs to fight the likes of Green and Johnson to cut his teeth on the world stage before thinking about the likes of ward and bute, so in answer to the OP I say yes he has the ability, but I think he's 2 years away from that level right now.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 15 May 2011, 11:39 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:DeGale has the skill to fight at world level in the not too distant future, although he can't afford to look past groves right now.

I'm not a fan of ward. He's a dirty hometown fighter. Yes he has skill but p4p top ten? No way. He nutted and mauled his past Kessler. Froch for me is easily divisional no1 at 168lb. I hear ward outclassed AA (sky plussed it but not watched it yet), but that's nothing froch hasn't already done.

SMW was looking a cracking division when the S6 started, but we've seen Taylor retired, Dirrells career halted by injury, likewise Kessler, and AA is having to move back down to 160lb. Divisional journeymen like Bika and Green have had to be drafted in, while the only class left active in the division is Ward and Froch.

And no I haven't forgotten Bute - most overrated fighter in boxing IMO. If DeGale is to target anyone it should be him, then maybe look toward a huge domestic clash with Froch. But all this is 2 years away for DeGale yet, he needs to fight the likes of Green and Johnson to cut his teeth on the world stage before thinking about the likes of ward and bute, so in answer to the OP I say yes he has the ability, but I think he's 2 years away from that level right now.

You mean Ward. Although, I can't stand Dirrell either.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 May 2011, 11:39 pm

How come I dont feel no love for Ward on here?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 15 May 2011, 11:40 pm

Whoa. It DEFINITELY said Dirrell.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 15 May 2011, 11:40 pm

azania wrote:How come I dont feel no love for Ward on here?

What's to love?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 15 May 2011, 11:43 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Whoa. It DEFINITELY said Dirrell.

I changed it so damn quick it was altered before you could complete your 'quote and post'.

Speed kills Balti.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 May 2011, 11:54 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
azania wrote:How come I dont feel no love for Ward on here?

What's to love?

His skills and heading ability.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 16 May 2011, 8:46 am

In all honesty, despite looking like a very talented and accomplished fighter, I can't wait for Ward to get his backside handed to him. Same reasons as everybody else really, reluctance to leave his hometown, constant use of the head/elbows, excessive holding etc. Hoping Froch can be that man, but if not, then my hopes are pinned firmly on Mr Degale.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 16 May 2011, 8:56 am

azania wrote:There's a decent argument for Andre Dirrell. I hear his brother is also useful although I dont know what weight he fights in.

His brother is a Super middle aswell and is a very good prospect

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 16 May 2011, 2:23 pm

Oh didn't realise that his brother operated at the same weight class.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 16 May 2011, 2:41 pm

i cant believe some people on here think Degale is ready for the likes of AA or pavlik THIS YEAR, ridiculous, Degale has talent but for a start he has not developed the power to fight the big names, not one of his stoppages has been a legit KO. PAvlik and AA would walk thru him at the moment, give it 18 months a couple euro fights and then lets talk

AA or PAv this year HAHAHAHHA

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 16 May 2011, 3:45 pm

Yeah, that is certainly a bit far fetched Seanus. As I said in my OP, should he pass the Groves test I think he should be looking at less fearsome contenders. Bika is a tough guy, but could prove to be a valuable learning curve for Degale, and Stieglitz is definitely a world title option that could be looked at in a year to 18 months time.

The man has the ability though, and throughout the next year I'd like to see him continue to sit down on his punches more to add another edge to his game ready for world level. No point in holding him back too much, but at the same time he should be matched shrewdly in this period to best develop his attributes, without going in against someone capable of really setting his career back with a real beating.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 16 May 2011, 3:52 pm

exactly fists.

He needs to hone his weapons first before going up that far in class. There are plenty of fighter in the SM division that he can develop against.

For example, should he look good v groves and then go onto to euro honours, how about magee in ayear or so, a great test and credible threat that he shouldget by, then as you say there is Bika who tests the soul of any fighter, and beyond that Green, Andrade and Johnson should he lose to Froch and show decline. All great fights for Degale if he goes forward int he divison. Then in say 24 months time we can talk about him in with hte big boys. Silly torush him quicker than that IMO

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 16 May 2011, 4:56 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:I'm sure AA can have a career at MW. He won't have so many physical disadvantages like he has at supermiddle. He gets out jabbed too easily and seems to have very poor stamina at the weight.

He's said himself that going back down to MW is not an option. Apparently he can't cut that amount of weight anymore, which basically puts him around the tough 2nd tier SMW level - but clearly he'll never be able to mix it with the top guys. I'd like to see Abraham in with Pavlik after they've both had a couple of confidence building tune-ups. That's a good fight - and I think it would sell.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down