The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are your favourite singers/bands?

+11
CFCNick
westisbest
Breadvan
Geordie
JuliusHMarx
The Boss
compelling and rich
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
Il Gialloblu
hbk48942
15 posters

Go down

Who are your favourite singers/bands?  Empty Who are your favourite singers/bands?

Post by hbk48942 Thu 7 Nov - 18:16

you can list as many as you want to from any era

mine are

Nickleback
Black Eyed Peas

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

Who are your favourite singers/bands?  Empty Re: Who are your favourite singers/bands?

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 8 Nov - 15:25

I could be here all day, so I'll name just one of each i.e. my very favourites.

Singer: Conor Oberst

Usually performs under the name Bright Eyes, which is kind of a band/collective, so it's not just him but it is kind of all about him.

Band: The National

The last four albums have all been of very, very high quality. I think they have kind of defined their own genre too. A very distinctive sound, and it really works. I told Tino to listen to High Violet but I don't think he has.

Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Who are your favourite singers/bands?  Empty Re: Who are your favourite singers/bands?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 8 Nov - 15:52

Il Gialloblu wrote:

I told Tino to listen to High Violet but I don't think he has.

Yeah, sorry Gia, I haven't yet but will endeavour to do so. I have been too busy watching heart-breaking documentaries recently. Promise I will give it a go over the weekend and report back.

Perhaps you could finally watch City of Life and Death like you said you would about 2 months ago........

As for the OP, in terms of someones voice, I can't look past Ray LaMontagne. Not the most cheery music but just has a voice from the Gods. Smooth yet gravelly and just about as soulful as a white man can get.

I still really enjoy listening to the Kings of Leon despite it being hugely unfashionable to like them since they became popular. That won't do for the terribly discerning music cognoscenti on 606v2. Their latest album has restored my faith in their sound after a slightly lacklustre Come Around Sundown. It really is good.

There are way too many others to talk about, but for modern music, then I will stick with these two offerings.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 8 Nov - 15:58

I don't listen to any modern music, firstly because I find most of it rubbish and secondly as it gives Tina opportunity to describe me as a snob which I know he loves. Outside of the Roses, for whom my love of is well documented I mainly listen to sixties music. Love a lot of sixties garage, freakbeat and early psychedelic stuff but if I had to name my favourite band and artist from the era it would be the Kinks and Dusty Springfield.

Ray Davies is my favourite songwriter ever and Dusty can sing pretty much every style of song and has a voice I never tire of listening to.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 8 Nov - 16:00

Rowley wrote:as it gives Tina opportunity to describe me as a snob which I know he loves.
Laugh 

That is true though. You are a snob and I do enjoy calling you one.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 8 Nov - 16:00

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:

Yeah, sorry Gia, I haven't yet but will endeavour to do so.  I have been too busy watching heart-breaking documentaries recently.  Promise I will give it a go over the weekend and report back.

Perhaps you could finally watch City of Life and Death like you said you would about 2 months ago........
Come on. I'm sure it was longer than that.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 8 Nov - 19:51

grew up around with many of the Manchester bands, so grew up on the smiths, stone roses, happy mondays. then bit later i can remember more when they were out it was oasis and james. also loved ocean colour scene and manics (mainly early stuff). the only gigs i go to these days are courteeners gigs, i have seen all of the above list bar the smiths who split far too early for me

other music would be motown (love a lot of the classics) the beatles, like a bit of the rock power ballards

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Fri 8 Nov - 21:35

Bruce Springsteen. Far and away number 1.

Bob Dylan.
Tom Petty.
The Dubliners.
Christy Moore.
The Pogues.
The eagles.
The gaslight anthem.
Brian Fallon
Damien Dempsey.

I could go on but I'll leave it at that for now.

Rowley I'd say chart music more than modern music is crap. At least you have the excuse of being a bit more... Experienced. At 22 people don't get how I don't like Tinie tempah's latest lyrical r***.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 8 Nov - 21:44

Prince
David Sylvian
Vanessa Carlton
Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac
Lloyd Cole
Justin Currie/Del Amitri
Roy Wood/The Move
Tom Waits

Like other posters, plenty of others I like as well.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 8 Nov - 21:46

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:

Yeah, sorry Gia, I haven't yet but will endeavour to do so.  I have been too busy watching heart-breaking documentaries recently.  Promise I will give it a go over the weekend and report back.

Alright, I listened to it tonight, Gia. Have to say, it was really pretty good. The singer has a great voice and I like the almost ethereal feel of some of it. Its not overly complicated nor over produced. Really glad I took the time to listen to it.

Little Faith, Runaway, England and Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks are the standout tracks for me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 11 Nov - 13:10

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:

Alright, I listened to it tonight, Gia.  Have to say, it was really pretty good.  The singer has a great voice and I like the almost ethereal feel of some of it.  Its not overly complicated nor over produced.  Really glad I took the time to listen to it.

Little Faith, Runaway, England and Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks are the standout tracks for me.
Ah, it's genuinely nice to hear that you liked it mate.

I agree with what you said, in bold. If someone were to describe it, it could be made to sound quite dull, but it works really well. Big fan of the lyrics too. Kind of hard to decipher, but not in an I am The Walrus complete gibberish way. The band themselves are not young, and I think the music has a definite maturity about it.

I didn't watch that film over the weekend.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 11 Nov - 13:30

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Big fan of the lyrics too. Kind of hard to decipher

I didn't watch that film over the weekend.
Yep, the lyrics are interesting to say the least. Not the most easy to comprehend but then song writing must be a deeply personal thing anyway. Better to listen and try to find your own meaning rather that second guess the artists intentions. I started off by listening to the album with the lyrics open on a different site but that started to get on my nerves so I ended up just listening to the music on its own. I really did enjoy it and will listen some more of their work when I can.

It is a really good film...

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 1 Feb - 21:33

Iron Maiden
Pearl Jam
Alter Bridge
Black Stone Cherry
Stone Roses
Stone Sour
Volbeat
Prodigy for a bit of dance....

And

MADNESS one of the greatest bands of all time Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 25 Feb - 8:42

INXS 85-early 90s era.
Stone Roses
Cast
Oasis
Floyd
New Order
Niravana
Foos
Sheryl crow
Madness
Coldplay, before the last album..
Two door cinema club
Guilty pleasure- Sugar babes.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Feb - 13:04

SLAYER
ENTOMBED
MALEVOLENT CREATION
CROWBAR
DOWN
TOOL
BOLT THROWER
CARCASS
CLUTCH
DEATH
EARTHTONE 9
EXHORDER
HAIL OF BULLETS
NILE
MISERY INDEX
OPETH
ROLLINS BAND
KATATONIA
LIFE OF AGONY
MASTODON
MOURNING BELOVETH
PRIMORDIAL
PRO-PAIN
PESTILENCE
SOLITUDE AETURNUS
SOLSTAFIR
THE INBREDS
THE MONOLITH DEATHCULT
TORTURE DIVISION
TYPE O NEGATIVE
VITAL REMAINS
WITCH MOUNTAIN

To name but a few..........

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 21 May - 10:27

Springsteen
The Killers
The Pogues
Saw Doctors
Dire Straights
Snow Patrol

Then I like songs from certain artists.
Drunk - Ed Sheeran
Crazy Crazy Nights - Kiss
Walking In Memphis - Marc Cohen
Heat Of The Moment - Asia
I got You - Duke Dumont
Loch Lomund - Runrig
Noots - Sum 41
OPP - Naughty By Nature
Start A War - The National
Violin - Amos Lee
Tracks Of My Tears - Smokey Robinson

One I really like is, A Real Hero - College & Electric Youth

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri 22 May - 18:33

Order changes often depending on the moon and the alignment of the stars.

From A to Z

Against The Current
Best Coast
Brad Paisley
Ellie Goulding
Fall Out Boy
Foo Fighters
Green Day
Haim
Little Big Town
Metric
Miranda Lambert
Muse
Panic At The Disco
Paramore
Queen
Stars
Striking Matches
The Black Keys
The Pretty Reckless
Weezer
Zac Brown Band

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 22 May - 21:27

Easy this

Norah Jones
Otis Redding
Hendrix
Hugo
John Mayer
Fun.
The Roots
Also feeling D'Angelo's effort in Black Messiah.
Bakermat isn't technically a band, but good fun

Then I also like Andre 3000s more experimental stuff. Living Colour is pretty good. Spent basically the last eighteen months listening to Daft Punk as well.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 22 May - 22:07

Oh yeah.

Forgot to add Bob Marley.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Mon 15 Jun - 16:18

DAVE667 wrote:SLAYER
ENTOMBED
MALEVOLENT CREATION
CROWBAR
DOWN
TOOL
BOLT THROWER
CARCASS
CLUTCH
DEATH
EARTHTONE 9
EXHORDER
HAIL OF BULLETS
NILE
MISERY INDEX
OPETH
ROLLINS BAND
KATATONIA
LIFE OF AGONY
MASTODON
MOURNING BELOVETH
PRIMORDIAL
PRO-PAIN
PESTILENCE
SOLITUDE AETURNUS
SOLSTAFIR
THE INBREDS
THE MONOLITH DEATHCULT
TORTURE DIVISION
TYPE O NEGATIVE
VITAL REMAINS
WITCH MOUNTAIN

To name but a few..........

I haven't seen this outside of Ireland, I love their old stuff not that into the new stuff but there are some belters in there, Alan DJ's in a metal bar in Dublin most Saturday nights, nice bloke

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Jun - 9:04

I'm not a big black metal fan so their early stuff does nowt for me. Saw them in London a few years back with Mourning Beloveth as support then caught them at Wacken in 2005. Mourning Beloveth were supposed to play the Damnation Festival in Leeds a couple of years ago and cancelled on the day (gutted).

Musically, my taste is excellent and this lot are a bunch of know-nothing c*nts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 16 Jun - 11:07

I like some of Daft Punk's stuff, Aerodynamic is a class tune
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 18 Jun - 22:01

DAVE667 wrote:I'm not a big black metal fan so their early stuff does nowt for me. Saw them in London a few years back with Mourning Beloveth as support then caught them at Wacken in 2005. Mourning Beloveth were supposed to play the Damnation Festival in Leeds a couple of years ago and cancelled on the day (gutted).

Musically, my taste is excellent and this lot are a bunch of know-nothing c*nts

We've found some common ground at last; black metal is a stain on humanity and has produced a single decent song with emphasis on decent, that being Freezing moon by Mayhem. Anything other than song that could be described as black metal is the biggest crock of sh1te imaginable and anyone listening to it should be castrated before having the opportunity to procreate. It has no saving grace at all.

Didn't have you down as a fan of Tool, Opeth or Type O Negative Dave, Nile however are crap, Ithyphallic is in the running with DevilDrivers third offering as the worst metal album of 2007.

Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Rage Against The Machine
Radiohead
Enochian Theory
Cream
Grateful Dead
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
Anthrax
Iron Maiden
DiamondHead
Napalm Death
Death Angel
Dark Angel
Cynic
Deftones
Pantera
Hawkwind
Jeff Buckley

Amongst many others.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jun - 12:54

Been a TOOL fan since Undertow, my mate Bob (R.I.P.) got me into them. Have to admit it took a couple of listens to get me hooked given that I was much more into Death Metal at that time but then again, I was also (and still am) into the ROLLINS BAND as far back as 1992 and they were far removed the stuff that was usually on my playlist. Saw TOOL in Manchester in about 2000-2001....bloody brilliant!

Seen OPETH on numerous occasions and sometimes they've been exquisite, sometimes less so (but that was more to do with the bolshie mood I was in at the time).

Think NILE may have peaked with ANNIHILATION OF THE WICKED. Saw them in Wakefield way back when Chief Spires was on vocals, the amps blew and we were less than impressive, however, again I've seen them a few times and they've been awesome. Think the best occasion was with Jon Vesano on bass/vocals but their recent output has been "meh".

There are other bands like NEUROSIS that are excellent but require a great deal of effort on my part to truly appreciate what they do and more often than not I don't have time to digest a full album which tends to inhibit the experience. Also seen them live and it was something else

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 20 Jun - 12:12

I got into Tool via A Perfect Circle but each of their albums is top notch, Undertow maybe not their best but has an almost perfect first four songs; '10,000 Days' is the one for me, largely down to Vicarious, The Pot and Rosetta Stoned. Can't say i've listened to a lot of Rollins Band, seem a bit more abstract from initial listening.

Opeth are epic, such a versatile band and definitely a mood band, you can't go from listening Ghost Reveries or Deliverance to Damnation or Blackwater park, their recent albums have been good but not quite hit the heights of their middle albums.

You should give Melechesh a listen if you like Nile, they do something similar but a lot better with a focus on Mesopotamia instead of Egypt.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down