The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pitch

+7
alexgmacdonald
bedfordwelsh
Taylorman
whocares
kiakahaaotearoa
GloriousEmpire
george doors
11 posters

Go down

Pitch Empty Pitch

Post by george doors Sat 09 Nov 2013, 6:09 pm

The pitch at the MS is a disgrace.. My lawn at home is better than that

george doors

Back to top Go down

Pitch Empty Re: Pitch

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 09 Nov 2013, 6:35 pm

Surely the WRU has too look at modifying the stadium to let more light on to it?.and perhaps not closing the roof during matches. How much money are they spending resurfacing it time and again and blasting it with uv? It's not working and it's causing so many injuries.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:21 pm

My lawn is better than that and I don't have a lawn.

The scrums definitely suffered from the pitch and with the Welsh scrum so powerful, Wales are shooting themselves in the foot taking out one of their strengths. You have home advantage to suit your game not detract from it.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:32 pm

Just have a butcher's at stade de france pitch later on. It doesnt look very good already!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:44 pm

That's another problematic ground in Europe. Doesn't sound good whocares... for NZ!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Nov 2013, 8:33 pm

posted this on the match thread...Wales need to go shopping for turf...

Since 2010 why is Wales the only side to have a better away win record than at home- 52% loss away vs 54.5% loss at home? NZ, Aus, SA, Ire, Italy, Eng and France are those I checked- all have a lower home loss %.

I say thats compelling given Wales are 2 time winning 6N holders in that period.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 09 Nov 2013, 8:37 pm

You were right whocares. It's a disgrace. Feel sorry for the crowd who are putting on a fantastic performance but have to put up with a ground that carves up when it's touched.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Nov 2013, 8:42 pm

Interesting all the play was made in the first 20 or so minutes...then deteriorated from there..

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 09 Nov 2013, 9:37 pm

The Aviva stadium pitch was two tone the other week for a footbal game thought my colour had gone on the tv lol.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Sat 09 Nov 2013, 10:45 pm

Murrayfield looked pretty shoddy today as well. Was cutting up just from players running on it as well as scrums.

Apparently there was some kind of bug that's attacking the turf?

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by allyt2k Sat 09 Nov 2013, 10:49 pm

alexgmacdonald wrote:Murrayfield looked pretty shoddy today as well. Was cutting up just from players running on it as well as scrums.

Apparently there was some kind of bug that's attacking the turf?
Nemotope worm things attacking the roots so their spraying garlic on it to kill them.

allyt2k

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Sat 09 Nov 2013, 10:51 pm

That sounds pretty serious. The pitch was in bad knick shortly after kickoff

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 09 Nov 2013, 10:54 pm

They need to get it sorted out prior to 2015. Shocking to think a RWC knock out match might be played on quick sand!

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 09 Nov 2013, 10:55 pm

Ireland, Italy and England have had good pitches. Murrayfield is usually good so they can be forgiven with this bug but this is not the first time for Stade de France and MS and they need to own up to the fact that this is not acceptable and find a remedy fast.

A lot of rain fell in Paris and sand seemed to be used to assist with drainage. The problem is that when you put too much sand on, the turf doesn't bind and then the surface gets easily cut up. They need to work out better drainage and in winter cope with freezing conditions better.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 10 Nov 2013, 10:34 am

The ms suffers from having little sunlight hitting the grass due to the vertical nature of the stands and the restricted roof. The pitch almost certainly dies as soon as it's laid down.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 10 Nov 2013, 10:41 am

fa0019 wrote:The ms suffers from having little sunlight hitting the grass due to the vertical nature of the stands and the restricted roof. The pitch almost certainly dies as soon as it's laid down.
I'm no grass/photosynthesis expert but isn't this something that should have been known beforehand?

The stadium has been around more than 10 years now. Is there no solution? Different grass grades that require less sunlight etc? Some kind of artificial light? I'm sure they're doing their best but it's a shame when one of the best stadia in the world is let down by the bit that really matters.

When I went to the MS (for the Jenkins/Leonard testimonial) I was right up near the top. Very vertical and very bad for my vertigo Shocked 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 10 Nov 2013, 11:25 am

Cyril wrote:
fa0019 wrote:The ms suffers from having little sunlight hitting the grass due to the vertical nature of the stands and the restricted roof. The pitch almost certainly dies as soon as it's laid down.
I'm no grass/photosynthesis expert but isn't this something that should have been known beforehand?

The stadium has been around more than 10 years now. Is there no solution? Different grass grades that require less sunlight etc? Some kind of artificial light? I'm sure they're doing their best but it's a shame when one of the best stadia in the world is let down by the bit that really matters.

When I went to the MS (for the Jenkins/Leonard testimonial) I was right up near the top. Very vertical and very bad for my vertigo Shocked 
It's the weigh up between a closed stadium and say 10,000 more seats and an open one with more room for light. Could argue the more seats caters for the extra cost in pitch fees. MS is similar to the San Siro in Italy. Pitch survives about 2 weeks a time there.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 10 Nov 2013, 11:28 am

fa0019 wrote:
Cyril wrote:

It's the weigh up between a closed stadium and say 10,000 more seats and an open one with more room for light. Could argue the more seats caters for the extra cost in pitch fees. MS is similar to the San Siro in Italy. Pitch survives about 2 weeks a time there.
Which would be fine if each time the pitch was replaced you got some decent use out of it before it cut up.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 10 Nov 2013, 11:32 am

Cyril wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Which would be fine if each time the pitch was replaced you got some decent use out of it before it cut up.
Shame that it's probably laid in preparation for that all important Rihanna concert.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 10 Nov 2013, 11:37 am

Point is the pitches at Cardiff and Paris were not international standard the IRB need to penalise these hosts financially until they sort it out. We can't have a RWC played on substandard pitches.

If Europe can't deliver venues then perhaps the RWC should be moved to Japan for 2015.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 10 Nov 2013, 11:38 am

fa0019 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Shame that it's probably laid in preparation for that all important Rihanna concert.
Smile Yeah, and all that twerking is going to play havoc with the turf.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:17 pm

fa0019 wrote:
Cyril wrote:

10,000 more seats than which stadium? Twickenham has 10,000 more seats than the Millennium and has a superb pitch. The reason the pitch is poor is due it being not being a real pitch with topsoil based on subsoil but just some turf on wooden pallets. Quite why anyone thought that would work is beyond me. Artificial turf would be better.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm

Will this make the move to an artificial pitch gather pace?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:25 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Will this make the move to an artificial pitch gather pace?
It certainly seem to work well at Allianz Park. I can see most stadiums going that way eventually if only for reasons of economics.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down