The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which pro would you like to play a round with?

+21
I'm never wrong
hend085
navyblueshorts
Bob_the_Job
MontysMerkin
Doc
gaelgowfer
super_realist
McLaren
robopz
kwinigolfer
twoeightnine
Davie
incontinentia
raycastleunited
golfermartin
barragan
pedro
Roller_Coaster
MustPuttBetter
lorus59
25 posters

Go down

Which pro would you like to play a round with? Empty Which pro would you like to play a round with?

Post by lorus59 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 2:46 pm

I just read that Lydia Ko met her idol, Phil Mickelson. It made me wonder if you could play a round of golf with any professional golfer, who would you choose? It would be just the two of you on a quiet day on a quiet course. I think I'd chose Gary Player.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Which pro would you like to play a round with? Empty Re: Which pro would you like to play a round with?

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 13 Nov 2013, 3:20 pm

Just me, Azahara Munoz and Beatriz Recari alone on a quiet course.......... Hug
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Which pro would you like to play a round with? Empty Re: Which pro would you like to play a round with?

Post by lorus59 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 3:24 pm

I said play a round not play around with. Doh 

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 13 Nov 2013, 3:35 pm

Probably mostly predictable but my fantasy 4 ball would be Tiger, Jack and Seve all at the peak of their powers and to be honest round my home course to see what is possible.

If only one, anywhere, it'd be Tiger and Augusta. Sorry Super...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 13 Nov 2013, 3:52 pm

No one up for Faderick?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 13 Nov 2013, 4:17 pm

Ernie, links golf.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 13 Nov 2013, 4:17 pm

I would go for either Jack Nicklaus or Peter Alliss. I think PA has so many great stories to tell. I was at a dinner where he was guest speaker a couple of years ago and it was really entertaining. But I think we only paid for half his speech, cos it seemed to finish rather abruptly! Or maybe he got the red light?

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 13 Nov 2013, 4:49 pm

As a 2 ball, would have to be me and Tiger. Apologies to the tiger haters, but there is something mesmeric about the way he plays.

If making it up to a 4 ball I would add Sergio (with a bucket of KFC for sustenance) and then either Dustin or Bubba and it would have to be around my home course just to stare in awe and watch them demolish it.

I've seen pro's at our course before. They never destroy it... last time we had Open qualifying 1 under par was good enough to progress to final qualifying. However, the top level guys are on a different planet.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:08 pm

Me, Tiger and Shane Lowry, with super_realist as caddy
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 13 Nov 2013, 8:41 pm

10 minutes with Peter Alliss on TV is enough for me - in fact more than enough. I couldn't bear the thought of 4 hours with him.

30 years ago maybe but not now. He should have come from the school of broadcasters who knew when to give up - Bill McLaren being the finest example .. Murray Walker the same though he pushed it a little too far. Alliss should have given up years ago

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 13 Nov 2013, 8:46 pm

I'm not a big Tiger fan, but he'd be on top of my list. #2 probably Gary Player.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:39 pm

To be honest almost any of the top 50 around my home course to see them take it to pieces would be fun

Otherwise would love Bubba to see him bend the ball, Donald as he seems a lovely guy with a lovely short game and maybe David Howell on form as he seems like another who would be great company.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 13 Nov 2013, 10:04 pm

Luke Donald for me.
I'll never be able to hit the ball like the great shot-makers, but I'd love some tips from 100 yards in, from one of the seemingly nicest guys in golf, from somewhere I used to live.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 13 Nov 2013, 10:23 pm

Tiger...

But I've been lucky in that I've gotten to play with quite a few pros over the years... both in pro-ams, charity deals and causal rounds. Other than Kite and Payne, not a lot of big names in causal rounds, but certainly recognizable ones.   But got to say... the best ever one-on-one's were back in the day with Doug Sanders when he was at the Woodlands...  whew... what a learning experience THAT was...   one unbelievable story after another, after another and after another.  Some I've had the opportunity to verify... and never found even one that was even a mild stretch of the truth.  Hey, it's  the nuts being a top level touring pro out there today...  but those guys knew how to live life to the fullest back in the 60's and 70's... sheesh.... and how.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 13 Nov 2013, 11:24 pm

Tiger. Simply the greatest ever, and by a long way.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 8:11 am

Can't really think which pro I'd like to play a round with, they're all pretty boring people.
Just for the sheer majesty of the swing I might go for Donald, he seems a bit quiet but nice enough. Lternatively, I might pick Shane Lowry and play quick just to watch the fat tuber devouring knacker try to keep up.

I reckon a round over Dornoch with regular visitor Tom Watson would be good too.

If you played with Nine Chins I doubt he'd say a word to you, plus you'd be covered in sputum and have expletives ringing in your ears.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 14 Nov 2013, 9:19 am

Nice thread lorus. OK 

Hope you don't mind if I expand on your rule.  If I had The Tardis at my disposal, I would go back in time to play the Old Course in a 4-ball with ... Cecil Leitch, Joyce Wethered and Bobby Jones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYMoyEeSVCE

http://thehickorygolfhub.com/2013/04/12/hickory-clinic-3-a-forgotten-hickory-swing-technique/

Says it all really.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 9:25 am

On another note. Which 606er's would you like a round with?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 9:38 am

super_realist wrote:On another note. Which 606er's would you like a round with?
They all seem too good for me. I'd just end up humiliated and frustrated.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 14 Nov 2013, 10:04 am

We've tried at various points to arrange a mass get together but to my knowledge it's never been successful?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 14 Nov 2013, 10:08 am

I'm expecting to be slaughtered for this, but would love to spend a few hours hacking around a course with Peter Alliss. I appreciate he's not everyones cup of tea now, but I grew up listening to him and ejoyed that fantastic TV programme 'A Round With Alliss'

Whilst Pete was trying to keep up with me I would be playing with Michele Wie Cool

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 14 Nov 2013, 10:51 am

Would loved to have played golf with my Grandad. He died before I took up the great game but I have been told that he virtually lived at the golf club! Think he played off about 5 so I have a way to go before I get to his level...
Would love to play with TW, Els (for tempo) and either Rose or Donald. I'd even get a round of beers in after.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 14 Nov 2013, 11:20 am

GMac - he has a reputation as being the nicest and most down to earth of all the current top golfers.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 14 Nov 2013, 11:32 am

Couldn't bear the cardy and accent, but love the swing and attitude.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 14 Nov 2013, 11:35 am

McLaren wrote:Tiger.  Simply the greatest ever, and by a long way.
Says you!

For me, it'd have to be Lee Trevino, Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson I think. I'd play with Lee and we'd fleece the other two for the drinks afterwards.

Walter Hagen sounds like an interesting guy to play with as well.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:11 pm

super_realist wrote:On another note. Which 606er's would you like a round with?
I would love to play a round with you super, and I seem to remember you owe my a round on both the castle course and trumpton.  At your expense.  

I would also like to play with Kwini, if only to remind him to get the sunscreen on. :warning: 

There is something intriguing about Navy, and I reckon we would actually get on quite well in real life.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:23 pm

mickelson for me with harrington a close second

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:03 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:We've tried at various points to arrange a mass get together but to my knowledge it's never been successful?
There was a meet several years ago with the old 606 people. I think Londonjonny and drive4show organised it. I only used to log in very rarely back then... I remember coming on to the board after a long break and finding everyone talking about an event they had just had at my course.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

606v2 vs "the other site" ryder cup type event...

Sparks on and off the course?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:28 pm

Wouldn't be much of a competition Roller. Not much goes on on the other site these days apart from the Fantasy comp and many of the posters are posters here also
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:31 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:We've tried at various points to arrange a mass get together but to my knowledge it's never been successful?
There was a meet several years ago with the old 606 people. I think Londonjonny and drive4show organised it. I only used to log in very rarely back then... I remember coming on to the board after a long break and finding everyone talking about an event they had just had at my course.
Ha, really?
That must have been a fair few years ago. I've been posting for circa 5 years i think and i've don't remember the mass get together being pulled off
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:37 pm

With one or two exceptions, most of "the other site" are here also

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:44 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:
Ha, really?
That must have been a fair few years ago. I've been posting for circa 5 years i think and i've don't remember the mass get together being pulled off
We tried to organise quite a few meets, which were being organised centrally and at atime to suit most people and most budgets and handicaps. Gradually people started to drop out and before too long it became a pointless exercise and a waste of time. All good intentions but peoples diaries and the distances some were not willing to travel etc. The meets that were mentioned were minor events, and a regular one was a south coast scratch open, where at least a 4-ball met up and had a curry etc. I believe JAs was involved in that a couple of times, other than that Shanker and LJ had met once or twice for a round. I met up with shanker once as i was in his area, but really meets were all ad-hoc stuff

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 14 Nov 2013, 7:30 pm

I went on the 5 Live Golf society day out years ago. Dynamark was there as well. (I know as I played with him). Another member of the 4 ball was Boanerges. We played at Royal Ashdown Golf Club.
Other names who played - Bertie Beef, MonTONYB Michaeljf. We're talking 2006 or earlier.....

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 14 Nov 2013, 7:51 pm

Before 606 and even before the WWW, there used to be the USENET chat groups. The groups still exist on USENET and are available through google groups but they are pretty much dead in the water these days with the advent of the WWW

There was rec.sport.golf which was a world-wide group, but there was also uk.sport.golf for Brits (and Europeans)

There were meetups every year with (at it's peak) about 20 people attending from UK and a couple of people from Finland and Germany

Always worked out as a Ryder Cup style event between North and South. We always tried to play somewhere in the Midlands to suit everyone and they were generally two day events with a one night stay.

The first couple were held at Hill Valley in Shropshire - and we also visited Patshull Park, Ullesthorpe Court, Forest of Arden and (my favourite) Hawkstone Park.

The first was in 2000 and we met every year for 10 years. Sadly interest dropped off and it no longer happens .. I still keep in touch with some of the guys and have tried to get them to join here or the other place but it seems the novelty of internet golf societies has died off. More is the pity - I had 10 or 11 years of great get togethers with people. Shame it doesn't seem to work out any more

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 8:41 pm

Havent seen a post from OldParwin for a while.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 15 Nov 2013, 2:31 pm

As a lover of links golf I'd love to go round Turnberry or Carnoustie with Tom Watson, that would do me just fine and if Seve wanted to come along to throw in the occasional moment of jaw dropping awesomeness then he'd be most welcome, maybe complete the 4ball with Trevino to keep us smiling

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Fri 15 Nov 2013, 3:29 pm

I'd love to see Bobby Jones at his peak transported in time to the present, given a week to practice with the latest clubs, balls, course conditions and even clothing. Then set him up in a match against Tiger Woods somewhere like Pebble Beach and see what happens.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 15 Nov 2013, 5:59 pm

Not much Jones would assume Tiger was his caddy...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Fri 15 Nov 2013, 7:41 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Not much Jones would assume Tiger was his caddy...  
Ha ha tickled me did that BlueCoverman.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 15 Nov 2013, 7:58 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Not much Jones would assume Tiger was his caddy...  
I thought I was on Facebook for a moment .. I was looking for the "like" button

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 15 Nov 2013, 10:17 pm

I don't think Bobby Jones would like being called a professional very much. He defended his amateur status manfully.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 15 Nov 2013, 10:28 pm

Lee Trevino... has a reputation for wise cracking all the way round. It isn't really merited. In championships he didn't say much between the first drive and the last putt. Practice rounds maybe, but not when it mattered. Martin Foster and Howard Clark said he was polite and witty but fairly quiet. He spoke in Spanish with seve, ollie and other Spanish and South Americans.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down