The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bringing back King of the Ring could give Survivor Series some of its importance back

+4
Mr H
Kay Fabe
Samo
Dolphin Ziggler
8 posters

Go down

Bringing back King of the Ring could give Survivor Series some of its importance back Empty Bringing back King of the Ring could give Survivor Series some of its importance back

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 17 Nov 2013, 6:05 pm

In the current vein of writing some articles and publishing them here, I bring you:

The Return of the King (of the Ring) Could Save Survivor Series' Legacy

There is no escaping that Survivor Series does not have the lustre it once had. Whilst it remains one of the traditional "big four", it cannot hold a candle to the likes of Royal Rumble, SummerSlam and WrestleMania.

This time of year has become a consistent quality dip for the WWE product, which never helps, and the amount of PPVs in quick succession almost waters down the quality of entertainment. When PPVs are consistently happening three weeks after the last one it really doesn't make an event feel particularly special.

Last year I wrote that WWE should try bringing Survivor Series to the UK to give it an air of individuality and add some spice to the event.

This year, my idea for strengthening Survivor Series sees us going back to the future.

In an idea that would see gimmick PPVs like Hell in a Cell and TLC scrapped and Battleground moved to December, I would bring back King of The Ring.

WWE's second oldest PPV Survivor Series could tie perfectly in with the tournament that kicked off in 1985.

Now, the company may doubt the drawing power of a tournament format, but when you're willing to cheapen exciting matches like Hell in a Cell and TLC by fitting them in an allotted slot every year then you should be willing to go retro for ratings.

To read the full article visit this here link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1853925-wwe-the-return-of-the-king-of-the-ring-could-save-survivor-series-legacy

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Bringing back King of the Ring could give Survivor Series some of its importance back Empty Re: Bringing back King of the Ring could give Survivor Series some of its importance back

Post by Samo Sun 17 Nov 2013, 9:53 pm

Good read, and a point I agree with almost entirely.  King of the Ring has been the making stars; Austin, Angle and Lesnar probably the most notable.  The problem with the revamped KOTR was they spread it over the month, have it in the one night and it can be the birth of feuds and the continuation of feuds. Have 2 guys in the same bracket who are already in a program.  Have a face beat a heel only for the heel to come out and cost them their next match.  Its a gold mine for creative.

There are plenty of guys with a proven track record of being able to wrestle for long periods.  Cesaro, Punk, Bryan, Cena, Orton.. all these guys have proven in the past they can go for 30+ minutes, they could easily do 3-4 matches in one night.

The problem is I dont think WWE thinks the audience would invest enough into a whole PPV dominated by a tournament, which is why I think they moved to spread it out.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Bringing back King of the Ring could give Survivor Series some of its importance back Empty Re: Bringing back King of the Ring could give Survivor Series some of its importance back

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 18 Nov 2013, 1:18 am

My problem with the King of the Ring was the lack of entitlement the King had, in almost any other walk of life being the King would make you the main man, but in Pro Wrestling being a King isn't very high up the ladder, Randy Savage I think was the only one who actually made it work as a gimmick

For the record, I dont think the KotR made any of the 3 guys listed in Austin, Angle or Lesnar, it assisted them on their path but those characters by that point were already on the right track, I don't think any of them wouldn't have had the success they enjoyed due to not being a Wrestling King

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:15 am

I think Booker T made the gimmick work too. As for Austin it wasn't the King of the Ring PPV which made him it was the promo. He could have cut the promo the next night on Raw and his career path wouldn't have changed.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:26 am

Disagree with that H. IMO it wasn't the promo that made Austin, it was the feud he had with Bret Hart starting at Survivor Series that was the making of him.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:37 am

i disagree with both of you. It was the freezer beer mugs that made Stone Cold.

Only Austin and the Rock had one. And they both became the biggest stars. Coincidence?

Dont be so naive

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:39 am

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:
Disagree with that H. IMO it wasn't the promo that made Austin, it was the feud he had with Bret Hart starting at Survivor Series that was the making of him.
Spot on.

Austin was only on the pre-show for the next PPV after KOTR 96.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:43 am

Adam D wrote:i disagree with both of you. It was the freezer beer mugs that made Stone Cold.

Only Austin and the Rock had one. And they both became the biggest stars. Coincidence?

Dont be so naive
Laugh  Fair enough Adam, but did The Rock have his own brand of condoms?

Therefore Stone Cold > The Rock. But that's an entirely different discussion.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:50 am

He should have had his own condoms.

Sock on the rocks cock.

This stuff sells itself.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 11:10 am

"Do you smell what the Rock is cooking?...... well it ain't a baby thanks to these new Rock branded condoms! How effective are they? IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW EFFECTIVE THEY ARE! But for legal purposes, they're 100% effective. Now even a jabroni like you can layeth the smacketh down safe in the knowledge that you won't be getting an unpleasant phone call from that 2 dollar slut you spent the night with!"

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:14 pm

I wouldn't say kotr made stars but it's a platform for a push, which wwe haven't really got at the moment.

Ryback last year would have been much better on the back of kotr win, whilst having a real notable point to sell the title feud on at survivor series would bring back some interest to what is becoming a regularly bad time for the belt

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:37 pm

Thats what im saying, the KotR wasn't really the architect of prolonged pushes, they were a quick fix means to an end but I feel Wrestling has moved on, I don't see a King of the Ring victory meaning much anymore, the MitB has definitely taken that role now, I fully agree that the WWE do need something to keep the World Titles important in the last quarter of the year but for me a fresh concept could be used instead of going over old ground.

I believe the King of the Ring should be just that, a guy who proves to be Wrestling royalty by beating guys in wrestling matches, not just a quick fix gimmick to set up a couple of PPV title matches at the end of every year

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:12 pm

This conversation continues on today's edition of the new daily v2 Wrestling Podcast.

Listen at http://v2wrestling.podomatic.com/entry/2013-11-18T12_01_55-08_00

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down