The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helping the ref out

3 posters

Go down

Helping the ref out Empty Helping the ref out

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 25 Nov 2013, 7:36 am

Nigel Owens presided over the Ellis Park test and contributed to that match and he did the same yesterday and we should be quick to praise officials when they get it right because we are all too quick to point out the opposite. However, I think we could make the ref's job easier.

Brian Moore made the comment yesterday if the ref can see the replays on the big screen do we actually need a TMO? I think we still do but there seems to communication problems. The earpieces haven't seemed to be working recently and the crowd volume makes listening to the TMO problematic.

I don't know who the TMO was yesterday but to me it seemed strange that he took so long to adjudicate on whether there was a forward pass when just one replay seemed to confirm that there wasn't an issue. Ok fine watch it again to make sure but 5 minutes. Seemed excessive when a few of the replays for the first try for Ireland put that try in doubt (graciously pointed out by Keith Wood). Then when he said you may award a try it was like he was getting back the paternity results and yes Luke he is your father.

Maybe we can have a light system where the ref asks closed questions and we get red for no and green for yes. The ref can watch the replays and give his interpretation and then ask the TMO if he agrees. Have the TMO communicate on foul play or text something up on the screen. I think there has to be an easier way for a ref blocking his ear trying to hear something and make the right choice. Give him some visual aids rather than some audio ones.

I think Owens got it right yesterday but needs some better communication systems. What do you think?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Helping the ref out Empty Re: Helping the ref out

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 25 Nov 2013, 7:43 am

I thought that Owens had another great game yesterday. He is by far and away the best ref in the world.

It was rather comical when Owens was explaining to the TMO what he thought whilst watching the replays and Moore is right, why have a TMO when the ref can see the replays himself.

The good thing about Owens is that he will admit to any mistake he has made and apologise to the players. That alone earns him so much respect from the players and I wish more ref's would do the same.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 25 Nov 2013, 8:21 am

Nachos Jones wrote:I thought that Owens had another great game yesterday. He is by far and away the best ref in the world.

It was rather comical when Owens was explaining to the TMO what he thought whilst watching the replays and Moore is right, why have a TMO when the ref can see the replays himself.

The good thing about Owens is that he will admit to any mistake he has made and apologise to the players. That alone earns him so much respect from the players and I wish more ref's would do the same.
Yes, I like that too.

"Sorry boys, my mistake. I got that wrong".

It goes a long way to earning respect as everyone is capable of making mistakes.

Owens is excellent. I'd be happy for him to ref Wales/England to be honest.

Re. the TMO/Ref decision. Yes, the ref can see the big screen and make his own decision but you need the TMO to be able to find the footage and roll back from different angles. It does seem that the ref pretty much says 'this is what I think happened, do you agree' most of the time. The TMO is back up.

I do like that they are pulling back for suspected foul play there and then but there is a worry that there are sometimes too many stoppages.

The 'tannoy' guy in the Saints/Newcastle game shouted out 'Strictly has been delayed for 10 minutes' as they spent ages reviewing Burrell's try! Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down