The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open All Hours Christmas Special could turn into full series

4 posters

Go down

Open All Hours Christmas Special could turn into full series  Empty Open All Hours Christmas Special could turn into full series

Post by Kenny Mon 25 Nov 2013, 4:46 pm

For those of us of a certain age or older Open All Hours should bring back a few happy memories , well it does for me anyway .

Ronnie Barker and David Jason as shop keeper Arkwright and his long suffering nephew Granville ran between 1976 - 1985 and was hugely popular  , it was a show the whole family could sit down and watch together .....so i was very pleased to here that the shows writer was bringing it back for a Christmas Special .

Ronnie Barker, is no longer with us. But the stammering shop-owner always promised that the store would one day be his nephew’s, and he was true to his word.
Granville is no longer the shop’s grocery “lad” - called Still Open All Hours and also featuring Lynda Baron, 74, as unlikely sex symbol nurse Gladys Emmanuel.
The cast are also rejoined by Stephanie Cole as the Black Widow and Maggie Ollerenshaw as Mavis, Granville’s never-quite-declared old flame.
In the plot the beloved but miserly Albert Awkwright, who was always chasing Gladys, has passed the shop in his will to nephew Granville. He may be gone but he’s not forgotten, thanks to a picture of him which takes pride of place on the wall.
Granville now runs the shop with the help of his son Leroy, a good-looking lad with far more female admirers than Granville ever had. (Granville sees him as the shop assistant but he sees himself as the head of IT.)
Granville has brought up Leroy himself, with the help of a lot of the local women, after he arrived on the doorstep as the surprise result of a one night stand in Blackpool.

The show's producer Gareth Edwards has hinted at a proper return for the classic comedy, saying: "We shall see - there is a lot of optimism to take this project forward."
Speaking during filming for the Christmas special, Edwards said, "There is a lot of life in the world that writer Roy Clarke has created,"
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Open All Hours Christmas Special could turn into full series  Empty Re: Open All Hours Christmas Special could turn into full series

Post by MIG Mon 25 Nov 2013, 4:49 pm

I remember this show, was a little young but certainly caught a fair few episodes.  Will be strange without Ronnie Barker but also very interesting the see an older version of G,G,Granville.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Open All Hours Christmas Special could turn into full series  Empty Re: Open All Hours Christmas Special could turn into full series

Post by Luke Mon 25 Nov 2013, 5:05 pm

Loved this when growing up, Ronnie Barker and David Jason's inter play was brilliant. Just good old family comedy.

That said, not sure about this one, it could be hilarious, and there's certainly enough avenues to explore. Trouble is I don't feel it will be the same without Ronnie Barker, who was the major part of the show, and if I watch it will spend half the time remembering him in it.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 25 Nov 2013, 5:08 pm

I had heard the Johnny Vegas is going to be in it so hopefully they could be some funny bits between him and David Jason
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:11 pm

OFAH wouldn't work without David Jason.
Fawlty Towers wouldn't work without John Cleese.

Surely Open All Hours won't work without Ronnie Barker?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 27 Dec 2013, 10:54 am

Dear me, that was absolutely woeful.

Not enamoured by the fact that Only Fools and Horses could be returning soon as well.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Dec 2013, 12:08 pm

I turned off after about 15 minutes but a mate who watched the whole thing said it was terrible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat 28 Dec 2013, 10:11 am

Yes i was very disappointed with this , no series in that story
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down