The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super League - Week 1

+3
Ozzy3213
Bathite
Fluxy
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Super League - Week 1 - Page 2 Empty Super League - Week 1

Post by Fluxy Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Teamsheets in by Midnight Friday
Predictions in by 9 am Monday morning.

Super League Week 1
£4m for full description predictions, £1m for 'scores-on-the-doors' 

Racing Metro 92 vs Crusaders
Location - Stade Olympique Yves-Du-Manoir
Light Clouds, 7 degrees, 10 mph North Westerly winds

Racing Metro

01. Eddy Ben Arous09. Maxime Machenaud
02. Andries Strauss10. Jonathon Sexton (k)
03. Adam Jones
04. Juandre Kruger11. Juan Imhoff
05. Brodie Retallick12. Jamie Roberts
06. Dan Lydiate13. Henry Chavancy
07. Francois Louw14. Ben Smith
08. Jacques Cronje15. Juan Martin Hernandez
16. Luc Ducalcon 17. Dimitri Szarzeswski 18. Soane Tonghu'ia 19. Jone Qovu 20. Wenclas Lauret 21. Sebastian Descons 22. Jonthan Wisnewski 23. Adrien Plante

TACTICS
We like to focus around a solid set piece, using home advantage and forcing the opposition into making mistakes. In Strauss, Louw and Kruger we have a proven lineout combination. Crusaders have a new hooker, who won't know the calls, so will pressurise him by jumping with whitelock and forcing him to throw elsewhere. Kruger will call the lineout and look to challenge opposition ball in the air from middle jumper. In Strauss and Jones we have 2 big scrummagers that we will look to exert pressure at scrum time. We like to play in the right areas and don't take risks in our third. Use Sexton and JMH boot to kick in behind and for territory. Use up and under off slow ball in when in centre channel. Keep the scoreboard ticking over with Sexton.
- 8-9-10-12-13 is the crucial axis of the team. Our boys play there together week in week out. Out opposition are a disjointed unit, with carter injured and out of form for a long time. Look to exploit this uncertainty defensively
- Louw to play as out and out 7, looking to slow ball and force turnovers. Target Carter, who is injured as out of form; force him to play deep and limit his options. Lydiate to be first man in defence in the 1 out channel
- Roberts to lead the fan defence, looking to isolate individuals and allow back row to compete for turnovers. Machenaud to sweep up.
- Utilise the Lions 10/12 combo and get Sexton on the wrap around, using Roberts to draw defenders and encourage Smith to come into the space
- Use Tiny, Strauss, Retallick, Cronje as our big ball carriers around the fringes to keep the defence narrrow. Machenaud to snipe to keep them honest.

Crusaders

01. Vincent Debaty09. Jonathan Pelissie
02. Dylan Hartley10. Dan Carter(k)
03. Owen Franks
04. Luke Romano11. Zac Guildford
05. Sam Whitelock12. Jonathan Davies
06. Mamuka Gorgodze 13. Ryan Crotty
07. Richie McCaw (c)14. Israel Folau
08. Kieran Read15. Israel Dagg
16. Ben Funnell 17. Wyatt Crockett 18. Nepo Laulala 19. Dominic Bird 20. Matt Todd 21. Andrew Ellis 22. Tom Taylor 23. Tom Marshall

Strong carrying up front through the likes of Gorgodze, Hartley and Franks in the tight, with Read and Whitelock free to do damage further out. McCaw to do his usual job of turning ball over, well supported by Read's work rate and Gorgodze's power clearing out. We want the ball to go straight at the heart of Racing's defence. We feel we have an advantage in the front 5, with our established combination in the second row starting against a first time pairing. Franks and Hartley are a very good scrummaging duo, and we want to target Tongahuia who hasn't shown himself to be as strong under the new rules. In the backs, we have great talent in the 3/4s, Pelissie is charged with getting quick ball to Carter who will play flat and get the likes of Davies, Crotty, Folau and Dagg breaking the line.

Line out - Hartley is a very good thrower, Whitelock to lead the line with Romano, Gorgodze and Read all available as jumpers

Target Ben Smith in defence, he is still new to the 13 position so Dagg and Crotty are charged with attacking that channel when possible.

We have Dagg and Folau, both great under the high ball so Carter is free to target the wings with high kicks for Folau to chase

Get Gorgodze running at Sexton, tying in Lydiate then go again with Read or our centres, all big, strong runners with great skill.

We feel we have a stronger bench with current All Blacks in Crockett, Bird, Todd and Taylor to come on in the last 20 to close out the game

Stormers vs RC Toulon
Location - Newlands Stadium
Sunny Intervals, 22 degrees, 22mph South Easterly winds.

Stormers

01. Alex Corbisiero09. Will Genia
02. Deon Fourie10. Owen Farrell (k)
03. Nicolas Mas
04. Nathan Hines11. Julian Savea
05. Eben Etzebeth12. Jean De Villiers
06. Schalk Burger (c)13. Juan De Jongh
07. Sean O'Brien14. Gio Aplon
08. Duane Vermeulen15. Jaco Taute
16. Scarra Ntubeni 17. Steven Kitshoff 18. Brok Harris19. Rynhardt Elstadt 20. Siya Kolisi 21. Dewaldt Duvenage 22. Elton Jantjies 23. Gerard Van Den Heever

Look to play a simple game based around the strong set piece game to secure possession. The pack is full of heavy carriers to get over the gain line consistently and capable of clearing out the rucks quickly and efficiently to create quick ball when possible. Look to create quick ball off pods outside the fringe defences of the ruck. Genia and Faz to run the game. Genia will look to keep the defences honest and punish any lapse in fringe defence by sniping any holes. Looking for any quick ball for Genia to orchestrate the attacking movements of the backs, and to keep the opponents guessing. faz to play flat in attack to bring in the centres who can play simple and direct rugby or get it wide to our dangerous back three.

Set-piece - strong and efficient, look to put pressure on in certain situations on opposition ball. Eg clearing kicks from scrums and line outs in their 22
Breakdown - Collectively look to clear ball and smash opposing players out of the way. Opposing slow down legally by flooding the breakdown. 
Home Advantage - Stormers don't lose at home.
Playing the %'s - Faz will keep the board ticking over and pegging the back, with Armitage the only reliable kicking option. 
Working on Players - Corbs to target Cole at the scrum, Etzebeth man mark Bonnaire come the line out. Everyone hounding Smith all day at every situation.

Toulon

01. Gethin Jenkins09. Aaron Smith
02. Richard Hibbard10. Johnny Wilkinson (k)
03. Dan Cole
04. Bakkies Botha11. Bryan Habana
05. Jocelina Suta12. Wesley Fofana
06. Julien Bonnaire13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
07. Steffon Armitage14. Rudi Wulf
08. Joe Van Niekerk (c)15. Delon Armitage
16. Kyle Cooper 17. Andrew Sheridan 18. Carl Hayman 19. Ali Williams 20. Chris Masoe 21. Sebastian Tillous-Borde 22. Matt Giteau 23. Drew Mitchell

Tactics
We have strength all over the pack with international position in the majority of positions. Hard hitting rugby is what we are looking for with strong carriers in our pack who will look to make the holes and in defence to clear out and give Armitage and Bonnaire time and space to get over the ball. Johnny is our captain as he can pull the strings at 10 and bring influential passages of play. In our backs we have excitement everywhere with Fofana and AAC both looking for the offloads from the tackles and we know how dangerous all of our back three are going to be. This is our first game and we are looking to stamp our mark all over the league. Our bench is strong again and brings impact all of the park, we will utilise this as and when and will look to run at tired legs throughout the last 20 minutes.

*Familiarity-Jenkins, Hibbard and Cole met on Lions, Suta-Botha-Armitage-JVN play together, Back 3 are all similar and play together.
*9-10 combo-we have Smith who can deliver quick ball to Johnny who will then look to play a fast attacking game especially from turnover ball.
*Bench-Our bench is full of impact and will look to dominate the end of the game.
*Defence-we have strong defensive leaders in AAC and Wilkinson and will look to slow down/turnover a lot of ball.
*Set Piece-power is key today at scrum time and in the lineouts Hibbard's darts have improved and he has quality jumpers and lifters to utilise.

Natal Sharks vs ASM Clermont Auvergne
Location - Kings Park
Light Rain Showers, 23 degrees, 18mph South Westerly winds

Super League - Week 1 - Page 2 SharksThe Sharks
DoR: Ozzy3213

01. Tendai Mtawarira09. Danny Care
02. Bismarck du Plessis10. Patric Lambie
03. Jannie du Plessis
04. Pieter-Steph du Toit11. George North
05. Courtney Lawes12. Francois Steyn
06. Sam Warburton13. Conrad Smith
07. Willem Alberts14. JP Pietersen
08. Sergio Parrise (c)15. James O'Connor

16. Sebastien Bruno 17. Cian Healy 18. Lourens Adriaanse 19. Franco van der Merwe 20. Marcell Coetzee 21. Ryan Kankowski 22. Freddie Michalak 23. Paul Jordaan

TACTICS

We will play a traditional South African gameplan in the forwards, being ultra physical and looking to dominate the collisions in attack and defence.  We will be looking to run the ball, using the pack and big backs off first phase ball, with support runners on the ball carriers shoulder for the offloads in or just prior to contact.  We will be looking to play at a high tempo and keep the ball alive. Lambie will play flat with the outside backs coming from positions of depth to gain momentum.  In defence we will employ the blitz and look to hit the ball carrier before he hits the gainline to stop ASM getting any momentum.  Danny Care will act as a sweeper behind the defensive line.

• Breakdown.  In attack we will put numbers in rucking past the ball to free it up quickly to go again.  In defence we will be selective.  If it is on to clear out and turn ball over we will throw number sin to do so, otherwise we will keep a strong defensive line.
  • Spaces not faces.  Our runners will target the gaps in the defensive line rather than defenders and look to breach the gainline regularly.
  • Target Rougerie.  For all his fine attributes he's not rapid and we will target his outside shoulder trying to get the winger to step in to assist.  When this happens we will be looking to get O'Connor into the attacking line to create the overlap out wide.
  • Target Cruden.  In defence our back row will look to get onto Cruden quickly with Parra not being a sniping 9 who offers threat around the fringes.
  • Home advantage.  Welcome to the Shark Tank. 60,000 Durbanites baying for blood.  Intimidating much! Wink

ASMClermontAuvergne

Manager - ChequeredJersey
01. Thomas Domingo
09. Morgan Parra (k)
02. Benjamin Kayser
10.    Aaron Cruden
03. Davit Zirakashvili

04.  Jamie Cudmore
11. Napolioni Nalaga
05.  Andries Bekker
12. Ma'a Nonu
06. Alexandre Lapandry
13.   Aurelien Rougerie (c)
07. Sam Cane
14.  Sitiveni Sivivatu
08. JMF Lobbe
15. Lee Byrne
16. Clement Ric 17. Corey Flynn 18. Frans Malherbe 19. Julien Pierre  20. Julien Bardy 21.  Ludovic Radosavljevic 22.  Matthieu Bastareaud 23. Elvis Vermeulen

Tactics:

The focus will be on creating quick ball with the breakdown and patient carrying then using it to devastating effect. If attacking ball is slow, Parra will command the pack to patiently carry in groups of 3 and maul, looking to speed up the ball at the next ruck, and kick high balls into space and deep kicks for territory if he deems this the right option, occasionally using crash balls off Cruden (Nonu or the backrow). Quick ball will inevitably leave gaps and the 8-10 axis are to identify these as soon as they pop up and attack them, whether Parra sniping, back row carrying or spinning to Cruden who will attack the line and distribute to Nonu (or the blindside winger/FB looking for the inside ball).  If the gaps are exploited, the other players to support as the Chiefs and All-Blacks do, if the gaps close, pass out of contact to exploit the new gap formed.

Breakdown- use speed and technique at the breakdown with our backrow working as a unit (as support runners they should be first to the breakdown anyway) rather than over-committing numbers so we have more options in defence and attack. If the ball is there to be turned over, hit the breakdown with numbers
Defence - use the blitz led by Rougerie to cut down their chance to build momentum. Parra is an exceptional defensive 9 covering Cruden's inside, Kayser to sweep
Targets - Mtawarira can be targeted by Zirakashvili in the scrum, and Parra and Cudmore will look to wind up Care and Lawes. Look to draw O'Connor into the line, as he can often commit himself in defence, leaving space for the offload or chip
Subs - use pack subs only if the pack tires but we have class on the bench, so no need to hold anything in reserve.
Discipline - with fiery players on both sides, we will need to be disciplined but also wind theirs up. Parra's boot will make every penalty costly

Toulouse vs Leicester Tigers
Location - Stade Ernest-Wallon
Light Rain Showers, 5 degrees, 11mph North Westerly

StadeToulousian
DOR: Driver

01. Guthro Steenkamp09. Jano Vermaak
02. Tom Youngs10. Remi Tales
03. Cencus Johnstone
04. Yoann Maestri11. Hosea Gear
05. Romain Millo-Chulski12. Luke McCallister
06. Thiery Dusitour (c)13. Florain Fritz
07. Michael Hooper14. Vincent Clerc
08. Louise Pickamoles15. Leigh Halfpenny (k)

16.Chilliboy Ralapelle 17.Antonio Guillamon 18.Vasil Kakovan 19.Patrico Albacete 20.Joe Tekori 21.Yannick Nyanga 22.Jean Marc Doussain 23.Clermount Poitrinaud

Tactics

We've gone for what we know best and that is a power game based on plenty of carry in pack and dangerous runners outwide to punish the opposition, We've picked a massive front 5 with plenty of power from the bench and won't let the tempo drop and ensure that the tigers can't keep up with our tempo. Vermaak and Tales will be key to how we play and will look to bring runners in and put plenty of dents in the Tigers defence. Playing loose and at a high tempo this game will suit our game plan with our backs running wild into the space.

• Ruck blastingQuick ball is going to be key on the battlefield and our pack is full of ruck clearers and will ensure we can punch holes in a disorganised defence line.

• Aggressive defence Plenty of power around the fringes and aggressive blitz with 9-15 all fearsome defenders who will look to smash there man and drive him back. Vermaak to sweep behind.

• Experienced bench 4 of our bench have played in RWC finals so know all about big games. Alba has played 57 times for Argintina and is still one of the best in the Buissness.

Leicester Tigers

01. Marcos Ayerza09. Piri Weepu
02. Leonardo Ghrialdini10. Toby Flood (k)
03. Martin Castrogiovanni
04. Louis Deacon11. Chris Ashton
05. Geoff Parling12. Manu Tuilagi
06. Tom Croft13. Anthony Allen
07. Pablo Matera14. Gonzalo Camacho
08. Juan Manuel Leguizamon (c)15. Yoann Huget
REPLACEMENTS: 16.G.Chuter 17.B.Stankovich 18.Jerome Schuster 19.Julien Salvi 20.Graeme Kitchener 21.Ben Youngs 22.Matthew Tait

On paper, a very strong side with a very powerful bench, particuarly in the forwards. We want to use our immense forwards pack in a physical battle, and a physical game, particuarly at the breakdown. Make sure we keep the ball and dont give away silly possession, we will look to keep ball in hand, and not kick it away. Parling will carry the ball on a regular basis as will JML, Weepu will occasionally box kick for ground, however in the main he will try and get quick ball for forwards to run onto. Tuilgai will carry the ball reguarly and look to power over the gain line and get ball for Ashton and Huget to run with and cause carnage in the oppo defence.

replacements: Salvi for Matera (55 mins) (Youngs for Weepu 65 mins) (Tait for Huget 72 mins)

Last edited by Fluxy on Sat 30 Nov 2013, 3:48 am; edited 5 times in total

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Super League - Week 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Super League - Week 1

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 01 Dec 2013, 10:17 am

Racing Metro 24 Crusaders 22

Set Piece: For me both tightheads have not quite got to grips with the new scrum laws, and I can see scrums being a little messy which gives neither team and advantage.  Lineout for me goes marginally to Crusaders with slightly better jumping options.
Gainline collisions/physicality: Whilst Metro have some big guys in the pack, I think Crusaders pack carries better.  Both sets of backs have gainline breakers, but I think a little more from Crusaders.  
Breakdown: With no reference in tactics from either team as to how they will approach the breakdown I have to go solely on players and think both have players who operate well, but Crusaders I think would be smarter in this area and would ultimately pick up a few more turnovers.
Key Jerseys (2,8,9,10):  Both teams have some real quality through these areas, but Crusaders have the standout in Kieran read.  I'm not 100% convinced by either 9.
Bench: I don't see either bench having a huge impact on proceedings in this one.
Tactics: Tactically I have more of an understanding of how Metro will play than Crusaders.  "Use Tiny, Strauss, Retallick, Cronje as our big ball carriers around the fringes to keep the defence narrrow" tells me how they will use players to achieve an aim,  but "Franks and Hartley are a very good scrummaging duo, and we want to target Tongahuia who hasn't shown himself to be as strong under the new rules" does not.  I need to know how you intend to target a player to see if tactically you have got things right.  I have to give the tactical battle to Metro, with the right decision being using Sexton and JMH's boots to play the game in the Crusaders half.
Overall: Solely in terms of personnel I would give this game to Crusaders, but Metro are at home and have set up well, with a solid gameplan that their players are capable of executing.  Away wins in this league, particularly where there has been a lot of travelling (not an issue inround one, but more of a cumulative thing later on) will be tough to come by, and I just don't think Crusaders have enough to snatch it here, and that is largely down to lack of clarity in how they are going to play.

Stormers 22 RC Toulon 19

Set Piece: Really good scrum battle, where Corbisiero and Cole would be sure to have a bit of niggle.  I think the Stormers front 5 would have a slight edge in this area.  I don't see a massive lineout advantage, with both teams capable of securing their own ball.
Gainline collisions/physicality: Two big physical packs who will go at it hammer and tongs.  Stormers also have Savea, de Villiers and Taute who carry hard int he backs, whereas Toulon only have AAC who I would consider as a heavy carrying back.  Overall I think this is an area that the Stormers can gain an advantage.
Breakdown: With Stormers getting on top in the collisions I would expect them to also have an advantage here.  they have a very powerful back 5 in the scrum who will be looking to clear out and as the game wears on I can see them getting on top.
Key Jerseys (2,8,9,10):  Quality for both, but I am a massive fan of Vermeulen and Farrell (Interestingly in the other game, my 2,8, 9,10 this weeks was Fourie, Vermeulen, Smith, Farrell, all who feature in this match!).  Even for these two teams in this area.
Bench: Both teams have some real impact players to bring on and I think both will have an affect on the game.
Tactics: Stormers using big carriers around the fringes and keeping it simple is right with the power they have in the pack and I just get a little more of how they will try to achieve their aims than I get from the Toulon tactics.
Overall: I think Stormers have got it right in terms of selection and gameplan.  Hugely physical pack and they are the focal point for the team.  Toulon will hang in there, and their bench will keep them in it as well, but the likes of Elstadt and Kolisi off the bench will just continue ploughing through for the Stormers, who at home have enough to win this one.

Toulouse 27. Leicester Tigers 15

Set Piece: I see Tiges getting the edge here, with a strong scrummaging front 5, and some very good lineout options. The set piece is a weakness for this Toulouse pack, with an unbalanced front row with two huge props with not great scrummaging technique, and a hooker whose darts can go to pieces.
Gainline collisions/physicality: The gainline belongs to Toulouse. Whilst the front 5 a set piece weakness, they are all great ball carriers and very physical, as is Picamoles at 8. The Tigers pack lack carrying, and defensively much will rest with Matera and Leguizamon in terms of smashing defenders back. I can see Toulouse having a huge advantage in this area.
Breakdown: With a massive advantage in the collisions Toulouse have to have the upper hand at the breakdown, in particular when you add the experience and skill of Dusautoir in that area into the mix.
Key Jerseys (2,8,9,10): Neither side has a world class player in any of these journeys, although they both have good internationals in there.
Bench: Toulouse have even more power and physicality to bring on with the likes of Albacete, Tekori and Nyanga which means they continue the power game for 80 minutes. I am not sure why Tigers only have 7 on the bench rather than 8, and although possibly minor this could potentially hurt them.
Tactics: Toulouse going with a power game and hard carrying and have certainly picked a side to do that. Tigers for me have made a mistake in wanting to get into a physical battle because they just don't have the pack to do it, and looking to have Parling carrying regularly will see them conceding ground frequently.
Overall: Damp conditions help Tigers a bit here, with there likely to be a few more scrums as a result, and that's an area they will have dominance. IF I was them I would have focused my tactics into scrummaging Toulouse of the park, but it doesn't appear that will be the case. Getting into a physical battle with this Toulouse pack will only go one way, and I just cannot see where, other than potentially a penalty try from the scrum, Tigers will score tries from. Toulouse will have the momentum for most of the game, and if they had a better or more in form half back pairing this could have been a huge winning margin, but fortunately for Tigers they don't. They do have enough to be comfortable though.

Last edited by Ozzy3213 on Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Toulouse vs. Tigers prediction added.)
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Dec 2013, 4:48 pm

Metro vs Crusaders:7-17

Stomers vs Toulon: 23-14

Sharks vs Clermont: 12-9

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 01 Dec 2013, 6:41 pm

Stormers 24-22 Toulon

Really good battle in the scrums, Corbs when fit is a match for any TH in the world, and with Jenkins being a comparatively weak scrummager up against the dominant Mas, I like Stormers to get the nudge on here. Line out looks fairly even, with Etzebeth and Bonnaire being the stand outs in the air, both will secure their own ball comfortably.

Breakdown looks like it will be tight, I think the back 5 of the Stormers pack is better than Toulon, but Jenkins, Hibbard and Cole are all brilliant around the park to help even it out. Can't really give an edge to either side here

Carrying/line breaking, I think the Stormers pack will be more powerful but really like the Toulon outside backs. I do think Toulon might be missing a hard carrier in the backs, to truck it up when nothing else is on. Not sure about Wulf will do with Savea if they are isolated as he gives up about 20kg and 4 inches in height! Advantage Stormers

Benches both look good, I prefer the Toulon bench as it adds a bit more in terms of changing the style of the team with the likes of Giteau offering a passing option outside Wilko if Fofana's running game isn't working. Jantjies could give the Stormers a similar impact.

Overall I have to give the Stormers the win, the home advantage and the power of the pack should be enough to get them to the line. Toulon are a quality side and will be very dangerous at home

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun 01 Dec 2013, 6:46 pm

Metro 12 Crusaders 12
Stormers 23 Toulon 21
Sharks 17 Clermount 14

Sorry for no reasoning , in middle of cooking tea.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 01 Dec 2013, 7:03 pm

Sharks 26-24 Clermont

Seriously strong front 5s for both, but I give the Sharks the edge around the park because of Bismarck and Lawes. Both sets of props very strong, I think both teams will be able to secure their ball but don't expect either to have an outright advantage here.

Sharks back row is immense on paper, but Warburton has not shown himself to be close to the same player he was a couple of years ago. Alberts and Parisse are very dangerous both in attack and defence, Lobbe is the best back rower for Clermont. I give Sharks the edge in the breakdown battle thanks to the work rate of the front 5 added to the 6/8 combo. If Clermont had stronger players at 6/7 I think they would be equal

The Sharks have the stronger carrying pack, but Clermont have a more settled back line. Sharks are fitting in 4 new backs, so they could be exploited by the settled and very good Clermont backs

Healy is the best sub on either bench, he could make the difference at the end of the game vs a young Malherbe in the scrums, as well as adding more carrying power. Overall the benches are too tight to give either side an advantage.

Home advantage and the pack give Sharks the win, Clermont have a more cohesive back line but Sharks backs offer a real X factor as individuals so playing time could be irrelevant

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 01 Dec 2013, 7:20 pm

Toulouse 26-17 Leicester

In the scrums I like the Tigers, Ayerza is up there with Corbs as the best scrummaging loose head in the world at the moment, I'm not a huge fan of Steenkamp and think Castro will be comfortable here. Parling and Croft are both excellent in the line out, I don't really see a jumper of that quality for Toulouse.

That is pretty much where the Tigers forward dominance ends, I can't see how any pack starting Parling, Croft and an ageing Deacon could be called "immense". In the breakdown they are likely to struggle given Dusatoir, Hooper as spoilers and Youngs excellent rucking. Maestri is probably the best lock in terms of hitting rucks.

Carrying advantage goes to Toulouse, not sure if this kind of weather will help Croft's game. Manu isn't nearly as effective from 12 as would be at 13, and Halfpenny is the standout back 3 player on either team.

The Tigers bench is very weak in the front row, and is lacking any kind of fly half cover, so edge to Toulouse with Doussain, Nyanga and Albacete as excellent impact players.

Overall Toulouse with a comfortable victory, Tigers have some strange tactics, particularly Manu at 12 and Parling as a featured ball carrier. Just a shortfall in quality which Tigers can't make up for on the road

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 01 Dec 2013, 8:10 pm

Only things about my match that surprise me are that CF thinks we won't score any tries and that people don't rate Cane
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun 01 Dec 2013, 8:16 pm

I rate Cane , He's a beast over the ball. Next long term All Black 7.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Sun 01 Dec 2013, 9:23 pm

I'm more concerned that in most games I've lost by 1 or 2 but cf has me down for a 9 point loss!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Mon 02 Dec 2013, 12:57 am

Racing Metro 92 26 - 25 Crusaders

Good battle up front and hard to seperate really. The set piece battle is even, and can secure quick ball for each set of backs. I like the functionality of the Metro back five, but there is more x factor and ability of the Crusaders back row. The solid spine of the Metro side sets themselves up well in defence, and in attack there is a little more from Racing back-three overall. But a Dagg/Folau combo is lethal and can score tries out nothing. The strong spine of the Racing side can see them home just at home. 

Sharks 26 - 24 Clermont Auvergne

This one is an all out attritional war. With both sides looking to through numbers into the rucks make a bit of mess at times. Overall the Sharks have a bit more quality in their pack however, but Cane's presence means ASM gain some turnover ball which helps them in the backs. Clermont are more settled in the back line, and can score some tries off turnover ball. The potential in the Sharks backline is frightening, but there are some form issues currently for some players and it hurts them a bit at the moment. Two very solid benches. Home advantage and star power in the Sharks back line gets them across the line.

Toulouse 29 - 16 Leicester Tigers

Front fives here are both very strong. I think the Ghiraldini experiemnt might pay off, as his reliabiltiy in the set piece can help bring the best out of the Tigers pack. However around the park Toulouse make a real step in the breakdown, and carrying. Parling is never a first line ball carrier that you'd expect to make yards. Also Hooper and Dus will outnumber Matera. Backline Tigers are crippled by having the centres in the opposite positions and not having Youngs starting who would bring their side to life. Toulouse can count themselves lucky that Tigers have shot themselves in the foot this week with some odd tactics and lineups. However the Toulouse pack put them in position to secure a powerful home win.

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 02 Dec 2013, 8:27 am

prop_lyd wrote:I'm more concerned that in most games I've lost by 1 or 2 but cf has me down for a 9 point loss!!
Same!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 02 Dec 2013, 8:29 am

Driver wrote:I rate Cane , He's a beast over the ball. Next long term All Black 7.
Not convinced by Cane. He's the next AB 7, because there is no one else. I'd have 3/4 other 7s still available in this game ahead of him

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 02 Dec 2013, 8:32 am

There's loads of other options for All Black's open side...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 02 Dec 2013, 8:33 am

Stormers 16 - 19 Toulon
Hard to seperate front rows, but Hibbard makes the difference, along with an awesome bench. Like both second rows, can't seperate them, but not sure about Stomers' lineout. Stormers got more in the back row, if Schalk gets back to 50% of what he can do, they've got a WC unit. Not sure about either half backs as a combo to be honest, both players like to have an agile, quick 10 with them to play off their sniping off loading games. Toulon win the battle of the backs with too much star quality. I don't often go for an away win, but have Toulon edging every key area.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 02 Dec 2013, 8:34 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:There's loads of other options for All Black's open side...
Who? Todd not good enough yet, Savea a while off. No other proper 7s really, plenty of those that could do a job. Not like Oz, for example, who have Pocock, Hooper and Gill all pushing hard (and Smith as well recently)

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 02 Dec 2013, 8:38 am

Sharks 22 - 18 Clermont
Two tried and tested combos up front promises to be a big battle at scrum time, but again it is the hooker seperating, with BDP a class above. 4 combative locks on show, with the form with the home side on this occasion. Lots more from the Sharks back row and Coetzee a great bench option to. (Assuming Warbs and Alberts numbered the SA way and not the wrong way round??) Steyn the stand out for the Sharks, as he's in terrible form, but surrounded by class. Clermont win the battle of the halfbacks, but Lambie will have an easier job, as his pack win their battle.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 02 Dec 2013, 8:41 am

Toulouse 26 - 19 Tigers
Interesting battle, with some players I don't rate much personally. Steenkemp and Castro both have question marks and Youngs' throwing is a massive hit, especially in a new set up and with his old mate Parling picking him off. Toulouse waltz the back row, but the halfbacks are much more even. Really don't understand why Tuilagi and Allen are 12 and 13 respectively, so have to mark that down, as well as the 22 players. Would have been a close game otherwise, but that back three from Toulouse is lethal.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 02 Dec 2013, 12:06 pm

I've only just realised that Bathite didn't even play Ben Smith at outside centre, makes my tactic of attacking him a bit pointless Laugh , not sure where I pulled that from!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 02 Dec 2013, 12:13 pm

-10 points to Crusaders for tactical naivety Very Happy

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 02 Dec 2013, 12:22 pm

Still thinking about it, I'm sure I did see Smith at centre and Fall on the wing .. are you sure you didn't swap them out??

I can't be going that mad!!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:01 pm

RESULTS

Racing Metro 21 (T: Chavancy, Retallick C: Sexton P: Sexton 3)
Crusaders 23 (T: Gorgodze 2 C: Carter 2 P: Carter 3)

Stormers 27 (T: O'Brien, Savea 2 C: Farrell 3 P: Farrell 2)
RC Toulon 21 (T: Fofana, Wilkinson C: Wilkinson P: WIlkinson 3)

Sharks 28 (T: Smith, Alberts, Lambie C: Lambie 2 P: Lambie 3)
ASM Clermont Auvergne 19 (T: Nalaga C: Parra P: Parra 4)

Toulouse 33 (T: Dusautoir, McAllister, Hooper, Johnstone C: Halfpenny 2 P: Halfpenny 3)
Leicester Tigers 18 (P: Flood 6)

Toulouse top of the table with a bonus point win. Well done Driver.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:08 pm

Worryingly heavy loss that I'm not sure i can immediately fix...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:08 pm

Thanks mate. Will sort out the administration tonight and the next weeks thread.

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:10 pm

I'm not sure how Clermont lost by such a margin, that was the game of the week for me and should have been as tight as it gets!

Very happy to pick up an away win

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:11 pm

Only getting 9 in one predo tends to make for a low average score...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:12 pm

Well done Ozzy though, brutal pack that
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:16 pm

It was tighter than the score reflects CJ. With the scoring system as it is there will be some results like this if all 6 managers predict the same team to win. I'm not sure who you have next week, but I'd imagine you are at home which will give you an advantage straight off.

Fluxy, I'll knock up quick league table for you if you want mate.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:17 pm

Crusaders, so easy Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:24 pm

POSWorld Super LeaguePLAYEDWONDREWLOSTP F P A P D T F T A TBP LBP POINTS
1Stade Touloussain11003318+1540105
2Sharks11002819+931004
3Stormers11002721+632004
4Crusaders11002321+222004
5Racing Metro 9210012123-222011
6RC Toulon10012127-623011
7ASM Clermont Auvergne10011928-913000
8Leicester Tigers10011833-1504000
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:31 pm

Oh, and yes Bathite, my flankers are number the South African way round. Got to keep that Saffa ethos in my team. Springbok 
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:46 pm

Ozzy, Fluxy, Bam, CJ, Bathite and Prop - Full Bonus

Driver and CF - Scores on the door bonus

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Mon 02 Dec 2013, 8:28 pm

Delighted with that , couldn't of got off to a better start.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 02 Dec 2013, 8:58 pm

Gutted to lose that one at home. All really close scores apart from CF

CF - can you give some feedback?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon 02 Dec 2013, 9:00 pm

Agreed bathite, thought I was getting a bonus point at least!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 02 Dec 2013, 9:01 pm

Fluxy, is there any rule on changing your team after you've named it? I did change mine this week, and I know others did to, but thinking about it, I'm not sure it's fair if your opponent has already done their tactics.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2