The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colchester United Thread

+4
1GrumpyGolfer
NickisBHAFC
MIG
BlueCoverman
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Colchester United Thread Empty Colchester United Thread

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 26 Nov 2013, 1:43 pm

Not expecting too much activity on this thread but I'll give it a go anyway!

Looking forward to the visit of MK Dons to the Weston Homes Community Stadium tonight, expecting a difficult game but could really do with the 3 points. Only been beaten 5 times in our first 17 league games but only 1 win in our last 15 matches leaves us too close to the bottom four for my liking.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Colchester United Thread Empty Re: Colchester United Thread

Post by MIG Tue 26 Nov 2013, 1:59 pm

How is Luke Garbutt getting on there, I've heard he's doing ok?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 26 Nov 2013, 2:28 pm

He is doing great, looks head and shoulders above most players at league 1 level. We were 2-0 down at home to Sheff Utd at half-time in the first round of the Cup, Joe Dunne pushed him up into left midfield and he ran the show in the second half. His excellent cross led to our first goal and he then scored with a great left-footed strike from just outside the area to level things up at 2-2. Unfortunately for us a rather harsh penalty decision late in the game saw us lose 3-2 and Sheff Utd progress to round 2.

Luke scored again on Saturday with another shot from outside the box, which earn't us a valuable point at Preston in a 1-1 draw. More than happy for Everton to leave him with us for as long as they like, whilst he is surplus to their requirements!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 26 Nov 2013, 2:37 pm

With Leighton Baines out injured for a while we might want him back!  Although I think Oviedo/Barry/Distin will be enough cover for now.
Glad to hear he's doing well, both clubs benefiting from this loan move it seems.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 26 Nov 2013, 2:51 pm

I did wonder that when I read this morning that unfortunately Leighton will be out for possibly up to six weeks with a fractured toe, so pleased to hear you have plenty of cover for his position!

Certainly been of great benefit for us and also for Luke too I would imagine, I have heard him say in interviews how much he is enjoying playing regularly. I believe his loan has been extended to 4th January so hopefully he will be with us until at least then.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 26 Nov 2013, 3:17 pm

Hopefully it will only be 10 days as he doesn't usually have any sort of injury/fitness problems but you never really know I guess.
I don't see why Garbutt doesn't just stay there for the season really if its working out so well and he definitely won't be getting games at Everton yet.  If he can keep up this form regularly then he may be the long term solution if Baines does decide to leave.
Good luck with the rest of the season!  I'll be keeping an eye on your results now.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 26 Nov 2013, 3:33 pm

We are hoping that is how it turns out and he will stay with us until the end of the season. Thanks, good luck to you too

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 12:06 am

A really good night for us at the Weston Homes as Colchester produced probably their best home performance of the season to beat MK Dons 3-1. The visitors had become a bit of a bogey side for us having won all of our previous five encounters and scoring 17 goals in the process.

Another solid and competent display from Luke Garbutt back playing in his favoured position of left back and a welcome 3 points to move us up a couple of places in the table.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Wed 27 Nov 2013, 9:52 am

Good to hear OK  who's up next for you then and how do you fancy your chances?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 6:05 pm

Next up for us is away to your neighbours Tranmere Rovers this Saturday. Although they lost 2-0 at Wolves last night they had a superb 5-1 win at Coventry on Saturday.

In front of their own fans for the first time since that win I would imagine that their confidence will be high and I will be more than happy if we return from Prenton Park with a point.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 29 Nov 2013, 1:29 pm

Two loan signings for us this week. Ben Tozer a Northampton defender and Blair Turgott a midfielder from West Ham have signed until 4th January. Anyone seen either of them play?

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 05 Dec 2013, 8:55 am

Great result for your team last night MIG clap 

With Oviedo in this kind of form I don't think we are going to have to worry about Garbutt getting a recall anytime soon!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 23 Dec 2013, 1:18 pm

An extremely dismal performance in our last home game saw us slump to a 4-0 defeat to bottom club Notts County and fuel our relegation worries.

Was expecting nothing but a defeat in our away game to Oldham last Saturday but with Joe Dunne making five changes to the side we came away with a 2-0 win and an unexpected early christmas present.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 07 Jan 2014, 6:55 pm

Luke Garbutt's loan extended until February  thumbsup

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Thu 16 Jan 2014, 3:36 pm

Is he still performing as well as he was?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 16 Jan 2014, 3:53 pm

We've'e signed a lad called Jeffrey Monakana. Had a loan spell with you lot i believe? Is he decent?

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm

Yes definitely MIG. He had an excellent game in our 3-0 home win against Gillingham last weekend and picked up the man of the match award. I didn't make the long trip to Carlisle yesterday but he played the full game and no doubt contributed to our very pleasing 4-2 win. He really looks a quality player at our level.

Yes Nick we had Jeffrey Monakana on loan for about 3 months this season and he made around 9 or 10 appearances for the team. I believe he is a product of Arsenal's youth system and he has definitely got some talent. He scored a great equalising goal for us in our 2-2 draw at Bradford City on his debut in September. He has got some pace but is a bit raw and I felt sometimes he went missing a bit if things weren't going too well, but that was probably more due to the lack of service he was getting. He seemed quite a sensible lad though and I hope he does well for you.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 20 Jan 2014, 7:32 pm

Great news for us today with the signing of Chelsea keeper Sam Walker on an 18 month contract. Sam's second loan spell with us ended at the weekend and this season he has played 26 times, keeping 7 clean sheets. Aged only 22 he is improving all the time and looks very assured behind our back four. I think he will play at Championship level at the very least and so to have him for the next 18 months is a good days business for us.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 21 Jan 2014, 8:13 pm

Well done Blue, glad to see you're moving in the right direction in the table.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 21 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm

Blue Norwich fan here, I saw rumours of Wordsworth returning to Col U, any truth?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 21 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm

Cheers GG

Hi Olly, apparently Mick McCarthy was all set to loan Wordsworth out before Christmas but haven't heard anything lately. I for one would be happy to see him back in a Col U shirt.

How's things at Norwich, a very welcome late goal on Saturday no doubt! Are the fans still behind Chris Hughton?

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 24 Jan 2014, 5:03 pm

Sorry Olly I've just been catching up on some old threads and realised you are not a fan of Mr Hughton!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:18 pm

Looks like we've recalled Luke Garbutt to cover for Leighton Baines after Oviedo's injury.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:48 pm

Yes I did wonder if that might happen when I saw Oviedo get injured at the weekend. Looked a horrible injury, hope that he is able to make a full recovery.

Disappointing for us to lose Luke earlier than anticipated but, of course, completely understandable. He has been a big part in us being able to obtain a comfortable mid-table position and I have enjoyed watching him play, especially when going forward. Hope that he enjoyed his time with us and the best of luck to him. I will watch his career progress with a keen interest.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:17 pm

Big game for us tomorrow. Our last home game of the season against Brentford as we hover nervously 1 point above the bottom four. Brentford are already promoted and having achieved their championship status for next season perhaps they may take their foot off the gas a little tomorrow, somehow I doubt that though.

Desperately hoping for a win but we are on a dire run of form and can't buy a goal. Expecting a nail-biting afternoon and hope that it doesn't go to the last game of the season. That's at Walsall next week and we never seem to get much of a result there.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:39 pm

Prayers being answered Blue?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat 26 Apr 2014, 8:45 pm

Absolutely Kwini still buzzing from a fantastic game and a brilliant atmosphere at the ground this afternoon. Amazing that we saved our best performance of the season for the last home game and with the added pressure of our league 1 survival at stake. No doubt that it may have been slightly different if Brentford still had something to play for, but when the third goal went in before half-time the relief and joy on people's faces in the packed south stand was great to witness.

I had a bad feeling about our last two games and delighted to be proved wrong. So happy we're staying up.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 01 Sep 2014, 1:46 pm

A poor start to the season has seen us take only one point from our first five league games and a heavy defeat in the first round of the league cup thrown in as well. Manager Joe Dunne pays the price this morning with the sack although it's the usual 'leaving by mutual consent' statement that has been issued by the club.

The new man in the hot seat will, no doubt, have to be extremely competent in performing miracles with little or no budget at his disposal.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 02 Oct 2014, 9:35 pm

http://www.cu-fc.com/news/article/021014-david-fox-training-with-us-1984557.aspx

Now Foxy baby would be a class signing for a league one side.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 02 Oct 2014, 10:22 pm

Definitely Olly, always enjoyed watching David Fox play in his year long spell with us before Paul Lambert took him to Norwich. We are (trying!) to play a passing game this season and Foxy would be a real asset at the heart of that. Hope it happens, would love to see him in a Col U shirt again.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:43 pm

He was brilliant for us all the way up to the Prem and in it under Lambert (came third in our player of the season voting behind ruddy/Holt so he did very well) then Hughton just marginalised him for no apparent reason.

I always really rated him, can't believe he is without a club. Would be a great signing for you guys!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:28 pm

He certainly would and well pleased that he has now signed for us on a three month deal, initially taking him through to mid January. Expect to see him involved in our game on Saturday at home to Fleetwood Town.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 13 Oct 2014, 11:55 am

David Fox played the full game on Saturday against Fleetwood and helped us to a 2-1 victory. The win sneaks us out of the bottom four and hopefully where we will now stay.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 29 Oct 2014, 12:40 pm

A decent unbeaten run of 4 games has yielded 8 points and taken us up to 14th. Port Vale at home on Saturday and looking forward to more of the same.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 29 Oct 2014, 10:21 pm

How's foxy playing?

Good to see you starting to string together a run
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 30 Oct 2014, 10:28 am

He's doing great. It's no coincidence that our unbeaten run of 4 matches started with his first game back for us against Fleetwood. He has just the right experience and calming influence in midfield needed amongst our enthusiastic but inexperienced youngsters. Freddie Sears playing up front is getting plenty of decent balls from Foxy and as a result has increased his goal tally this season to 8 so far, which is a lot for a Col U striker! He sounds pretty happy as well, I've heard him talk on local radio about how impressed he is with our new training facilities, built since the last time he was here and how he is enjoying playing regularly again.

How's things at Norwich?

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 30 Oct 2014, 12:17 pm

We've hit a bad run of form recently but everything isgoing alright still up the right end of the table and still confident of playoffs at least.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 01 Dec 2014, 1:39 pm

Things looking pretty grim for us now after a complete capitulation and embarrassing 6-0 thrashing at MK Dons on Saturday. Firmly in the bottom four now after this 4th consecutive league defeat and I fear that is where we will stay until the end of the season.

Skipper Magnus Okuonghae is our only quality defender and a ruptured achilles tendon sees him out until the end of the season. His absence leaves us lightweight at the back and having the maximum allowed six players in on loan is never a healthy sign. Too many youngsters introduced to the first team at the same time and a manager completely bereft of experience except at youth team level is a sure-fire recipe for relegation and I'm not sure we will find it any easier in the lower division to be honest.

Was pleased when we drew Darren Ferguson's Peterborough at home in the 2nd round of the FA Cup. Now just hoping that we don't get a hiding in front of the TV cameras.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat 17 Jan 2015, 12:34 pm

Life starts today without Freddie Sears after he has made the short trip up the A12 to join the Tractor Boys. Home to Walsall this afternoon, who is going to score the goals to give us a chance to avoid the drop now that our top goalscorer has departed?

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 18 Jan 2015, 1:10 am

No one by the looks of it Blue. Hope Cowling's money in the bank from Sears outweighs what he may lose.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 19 Jan 2015, 2:46 pm

Doubt we got a lot anyway Grumps. Something pathetic like about 100k I reckon. Cowling was on the radio on Saturday before the game and went to great lengths to say that he wasn't going to disclose the fee. Why not Robbie?, if it was a decent amount you wouldn't have thought twice about advertising it

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat 24 Jan 2015, 7:08 pm

Looks like a good win today Blue. Shame Crewe also picked up some points. Will Hewitt's absence be a big miss?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 26 Jan 2015, 5:47 pm

Yes Grumps it was good to see us finally win at home after five successive defeats! Still been beaten eight times on our home patch already, would never have happened at Layer Road!

Not too sure we will miss Elliott Hewitt that much to be honest. He has been more effective since he has been moved from full back to a more attacking wide position but personally I would still rather see ex-Arsenal man Sanchez Watt playing, he has pretty much been warming the bench since Hewitt's arrival from Ipswich.  

We have the chance to do the double over Crewe who we face in our next home match on 7th February. Just the small matter of a trip to Phil Parkinsons Bradford in between, who hopefully will still be suffering from an FA Cup hangover after their magnificent result at Chelsea on Saturday.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 23 Feb 2015, 12:24 pm

Wins at Oldham and at home to Bristol City in a week and suddenly we're dreaming as well!...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Sat 14 Mar 2015, 6:37 pm

HUGE win for Crawley today, draw would have been no good for either side with Coventry and Orient winning. Need to see the "controversial" penalty that won it for us before judging but seems like for once we got the luck that we've been missing.

I wouldn't mind Colchester staying up in ordinary circumstances but its unlikely either will stay up let alone both!

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 16 Mar 2015, 12:28 pm

Did you go to the game Marky? I thought we had the majority of the possession but in all fairness you hit the woodwork twice in the first half and could easily have been 4-1 up at half-time.

I didn't think there was anything too controversial about the penalty. From where I was sitting I thought it was a pen straight away and was a bit concerned that our keeper might also get a red card, so was quite relieved to see the ref only pull out a yellow.  

Anyway for us I think that pretty much was the final nail in our coffin and I fully expect us to now be relegated which is hugely disappointing. I would agree that you also have got a lot of work to do before you find the safety mark but at least Saturday's result has given you a bit of a chance. Good luck

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 16 Mar 2015, 4:30 pm

I didn't go, was too busy with family matters but I'll be at Crawley v Orient on Saturday (another huge 6 pointer). Our game seems to be to let the opposition have the ball and look to counter attack, I have a feeling it's down to some of our players being so uneasy in possession that the opposition seem to get chances when our defence is on the ball!

Colchester v Yeovil tomorrow means it's probably not all lost, a winnable game plus the likelihood of us losing away at Port Vale means we'd be back where we were on Saturday morning, only both 3 points better off!

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:36 pm

The old Murphy twin doing well for you eh Blue?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:27 pm

Yeah Jacob did well for us tonight Olly. Won the penalty for the first goal and took his goal well when his pace was too much for the Yeovil defence on the break.

Deserved his man of the match award, hope he can produce another good performance for us at Gillingham on Saturday.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat 25 Apr 2015, 8:51 pm

Unbelievably after weeks of resigning ourselves to League 2 football next season, if we win our last two remaining home games we are safe!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next