The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Thanksgiving Likes: Notes from the Ballwasher

+12
Roller_Coaster
robopz
pedro
GPB
Plunky
turnip
SmithersJones
McLaren
Shotrock
Davie
puligny
kwinigolfer
16 posters

Go down

PGA Tour: Thanksgiving Likes: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: Thanksgiving Likes: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Nov 2013, 3:00 pm

1).Let's give golf's turkeys a reprieve this Thanksgiving and offer somes "likes" from the past golfing year:

2).I liked the Major Championships this year. Adam Scott (just as Angel Cabrera would have been also), Justin Rose, Phil and Jason Dufner were deserving winners; The Masters might have come down to a Play-Off but we had a humbled winner and gracious runner-up.
Justin Rose and Mickelson went out and won, convincingly in the end, and so did Jason Dufner, who showed a very human, humble side of Dufnering - and not just by squeezing the lovely Amanda's lovely bottom. By the time he completed his brilliant second round of 63, he was pretty much in a trance and it took a tee shot into the drink on the fifth hole on Saturday to snap him out of it. After that he played perfectly. A worthy winner.

3).A big plus about 2013's Majors was the venues: Augusta, of course, Merion, Muirfield and Oak Hill. Each of them a worthy Championship course, which you can't say about every year. Like 2014 for instance.

4).I don't get to see much live golf, but enjoyed the always immaculately presented Travelers Championship, especially the chance to follow a couple of Europeans making their Hartford debut, Gonzo and Colsaerts. Neither of them seemed to have their head on straight, but Colsaerts' effortless power is one of the enduring images of the year.

5).I loved Oak Hill as a PGA Championship venue and we got the chance to follow four European Ryder Cuppers, Casey, McDowell, Westwood and Poulter, plus 18 holes of Ernie Els who I'd only seen sporadically before. But the most enjoyable guys to follow were Bill Haas (big surprise to moi), Billy Horschel and the Hunter Mahan/John Wood show.

6).I was disappointed that PGA Tour School was cancelled, but enjoyed the WTF Championship series - lots of tweaks needed to make it fair on the web.com grad's however.

7).And I like the fact that the web.com Tour should once again have a Vermonter in its ranks, at least with conditional status.
Trevor Murphy, an elite-level junior skier just like State-mate Keegan Bradley, is a walking illustration of the PGA Tour's slogan "These guys are good", but in Murphy's case he may have extraordinary talent (shot a 56 in a web.com pro-am a few years ago, albeit on a short course - still, 56!) but he just can't put four rounds together. Hopefully he will in 2014.

8).Most of us catch most of our pro golf via TV; I like to criticise much of the content especially on the US Network productions in between the commercials, but I really enjoy some of the talking heads.
Let's start on the ground where I reckon Roger Maltbie and Peter Kostis (how's he doing? Anyone know??) are terrific.
And Gary Koch is better than most, "better than most" in the booth, especially brilliant at reading greens.
I enjoy Andy North during his occasional appearances and always looked forward to the GolfWorld's podcasts with Paul Azinger.
Last but certainly not least I love the work that Warren Humphreys does on the Golf Channel's European Tour feeds. Can't imagine why US networks haven't tried to put him in the booth, at least for one or two events.

9).I always enjoy reading Doug Ferguson's stuff from the AP, and even Jason Sobel, on golfchannel.com produces some outstanding pieces, alas just once in a blue moon.

10).And I really like the fact that my July visit to England, and this is very little to do with golf, showed that the best pub in the world is still as good as ever. Just two rooms and no roof over the gents, but a ploughman's to die for. I've recommended it in the past to our sometime friend "turnip" and it's a worthy detour for JAS, puligny and drive4show as they return from Hayling. You've got to go!

Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends, and Happy Wednesday to the rest of you.
PUP

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Thu 28 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Thanksgiving Likes: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Thanksgiving Likes: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by puligny Wed 27 Nov 2013, 6:13 pm

Hook has caught - what is the pub? I'm down there again next week!!

Looking forward to Aussie Open this week. Rory apparently sounding a bit down about the whole pressure of high level sport, but nothing a good showing won't cure I hope!

puligny

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Thanksgiving Likes: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Thanksgiving Likes: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Nov 2013, 6:21 pm

Harrow Inn, in a field in Steep, just outside Petersfield:

http://www.harrow-inn.co.uk/

Been going there on and regrettably off, for fifty years!

Hope Rory doesn't get the Trotts . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 27 Nov 2013, 7:34 pm

Ah, I know it. Vg! Personal favourite is Pub With No Name aka The White Horse, about 10 mins away!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Nov 2013, 7:42 pm

Looks good, Hope I won't be too late for the liver and bacon today . . . .

I should know Alton, in deference to Jimmy Dick, Chawton, etc, but sadly don't really know it at all.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 27 Nov 2013, 8:14 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

Hope Rory doesn't get the Trotts . . . . . .
I heard a story today that he had come out when asked about the outcome of the Ashes and replied that he hoped it was anyone but England

Tongue in cheek I'm sure (if true) but hasn't he learned anything from the Andy Murray debacle a few years ago? I'm sure he was pandering to the Aussie audience but if he really said that he is more stupid than I thought

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 27 Nov 2013, 9:08 pm

Thanks Kwin and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your clan.

My professional golf highlight of the year was the US Open week at Merion. Working "inside the ropes" was a treat and the intensity level of the golfers was clearly up a notch. The weather didn't fully cooperate but the sun shined on cue as Justin Rose played the magnificent 72nd hole.

Was REALLY surprised the course held up to scoring like it did, and I don't think I saw as many missed putts inside 4 feet as I did that tournament. The old lady can still bite.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 27 Nov 2013, 10:33 pm

What exactly is a "stress related condition"?

Looks like a really nice pub kwini, but not so sure about dog's at the table.

Adam scott birdied his first six holes, why can't he play like that when it matters?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:38 pm

Nice review Kwini. Sad, but one of my highlights has been the news that Westwood and Foster are to reunite.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Nov 2013, 3:22 am

Hope a return to the Lee and Billy show is the right medicine - some of the dodgy aspects of Lee's course management were evident long before Billy got hurt.
Lee needs inspiration from somewhere, that's for sure.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 28 Nov 2013, 5:00 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Hope a return to the Lee and Billy show is the right medicine - some of the dodgy aspects of Lee's course management were evident long before Billy got hurt.
Lee needs inspiration from somewhere, that's for sure.
Lee now seems happy to "live" it up in his gated community worrying about the most inane sports of all. Basketball and NFL. Seems like a really sad man, with little interest in the more intriguing aspects of the world we live in.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by turnip Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:33 pm

Thanks for the shout Kwini, still reading regularly and the thoughts/news of the PGA tour are still as appreciated as ever.
2014 majors do have a lot to live up to from 2013, seeing Merion my own favourite (while the eventual winner not harming the view I was rooting for Luke, but couldn't help but be caught up in the Fathers day sentimentality, not over-played by Justin).

Can't believe I still haven't been to the Harrow...planned twice in summer only to get side-tracked both times, new year's resolution coming I think.

Keep up the good work (please!) and happy holidays

turnip

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:57 pm

Cheers turnip,
Great to hear from you. Albert Road souvenir still treasured and worn proudly!
PUP!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Thu 28 Nov 2013, 6:05 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone !  Its pretty nippy on cape cod today but we managed to get in 9 holes while my sister-in-law cooked the turkey !thumbsup  Re LW, it looks like he's put on a few pounds since he's been over here. Billy needs to get him down to the gym or something.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Nov 2013, 1:04 am

Nice going Plunky! You wouldn't have been playing up here!!

Interesting news from South Africa where Brendon de Jonge announced he's taking Affiliate Membership on the European Tour. Given that he can fill his boots this winter in South Africa it's not clear whether this decision will change his US schedule too much, though he might become a little more discriminating with the number of US events he'll play.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 29 Nov 2013, 6:06 pm

American James Hahn was DQed for some infraction on the 5th hole at the Dunhill (according to his twitter account) during Round 1.  

Anyone have any details on what happened?

Edit:  Found an article on Golfweek.  He used an alignment stick while waiting on his 14th hole of the day.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Nov 2013, 10:36 pm

Lots of plaudits from the Aussie Open commentators for 15-y-o Ryan Ruffels; he's the son of one-time Aussie pro tennis player Ray Ruffels.

Started out well again in Round 3.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Fri 29 Nov 2013, 11:02 pm

Great comment during Aussie PGA commentary. Wayne Grady said when a spectator called out "you're the man" as he teed off some years ago, he had approached the man and said "you're in Australia now, and we don't do shout that here."
Next tee same spectator shouts "your the bloke"
Amused me anyway!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 01 Dec 2013, 10:33 pm

Even "the best caddie of all time", according to Aussie TV Rolling Eyes couldn't keep Adam from a bogey on 18. Look for Rory to make hay on the US tour in 2014. Nice win for the Irishman.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 01 Dec 2013, 11:17 pm

Hardly a freightening field down under shotrock. Only 2 other players inside the owgr top 100 (Scott, Day).

But nice to see him hole a 15 ft clutch putt for birdie on 18 when most needed. Almost Tiger'esque. Apperance money probably also almost Tiger'esque..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 01 Dec 2013, 11:51 pm

Yes, it was very impressive watching Rory rise to the occasion. One of the few players in the game today with that extra gear.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 02 Dec 2013, 9:15 am

On the quality of the field for Aussie Open, it is worth a look at past winners to see how parochial the 'Independent Contractors' have become. I know it needs sponsorship, but if it was good enough for Sarazen, Palmer, Player Nicklaus and Watson it is a sad reflection on the organisation of today's game that it has become an almost exclusively Aussie affair, with the odd bribe to bring a headline act.
How long until the world tour travels around California and Florida. Can't wait!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 02 Dec 2013, 12:09 pm

I thought we were the only people who wrote about Errie Ball:

http://www.golfworldmonday.com/golfworldmonday/20131202?sub_id=m6YFz2X7vbcH#pg19

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 02 Dec 2013, 12:52 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/25184206

Anyone think this makes any difference?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 02 Dec 2013, 1:03 pm

Mac. Hope so but will tell you in 2 years!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon 02 Dec 2013, 1:55 pm

McLaren wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/25184206

Anyone think this makes any difference?
I wouldn't know anything about this particular guy... but IMO the concept of the Euro Tour going outside for business expertise is an excellent one.   The PGA Tour's policy board has 4 independent directors, and believe me, they are NOT there just for window dressing or as rubber stamps for Tim Finchem.  They're serious big time businessmen with varying experiences a lot of influence and contacts outside the normal sphere of golf... they bring fresh ideas, and in the case of the particular 4 who are on the board now... they work surprisingly hard at it.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 02 Dec 2013, 2:03 pm

Robo - Thanks, that's interesting insight into the PGA machine.

Mac - I can't imagine it's a bad thing. As I've stated before, doing the same thing and hoping for different results is nuts. So, I suspect they will re-tool some.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 02 Dec 2013, 2:55 pm

Well, they've tried keeping the makeup within golf and it hasn't worked out (the last guy had been there nearly 40 years). If you want to run a business, get a smattering of businessmen and give them the power.

So, a good idea in principle? There is a caveat though, be careful what you wish for. If business is better outside continental Europe, outside continental Europe will be where the focus may be and so we may end up with a stronger "European" tour with less European action.

Hopefully he can wave the wand and get global investment into Europe based golf. I think there is a better chance with him in, but as Puligny says, we'll know more in 2 years or so.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 03 Dec 2013, 11:28 am

McIlroy and Rooney . . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh6ZDBcWtSk

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:36 pm

The field for the web.com Tour Q-School Final Stage has been published and there are no European Tour members competing.

Englishman David Skinns will be there and one or two Aussies and South Africans but, if the objective of the PGA Tour was to only seduce the cream of the European Tour crop, the strategy couldn't have been more successful.

Gonzo and Olesen will still be taking up their PGA Tour membership, but O'Grady can rest easy that the rest of his horses have not bolted.

Imagine this will go some way towards mollifying American PGA Tour journeymen who may actually see their number of tee-times increase for 2013/2014, probably for the first time in a generation. Would think one or two of the hitherto top Europeans will drop by the wayside in 2014 and it remains to be seen whether they'll try to requalify or return to Europe.

All in all, no surprise!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:47 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Well, they've tried keeping the makeup within golf and it hasn't worked out (the last guy had been there nearly 40 years). If you want to run a business, get a smattering of businessmen and give them the power.

So, a good idea in principle? There is a caveat though, be careful what you wish for. If business is better outside continental Europe, outside continental Europe will be where the focus may be and so we may end up with a stronger "European" tour with less European action.

Hopefully he can wave the wand and get global investment into Europe based golf. I think there is a better chance with him in, but as Puligny says, we'll know more in 2 years or so.
I agree with you Roller. I am hoping that when he talks about moving into new markets that he is talking about sponsors rather than regions. I be fair there aren't really any new markets to go into as that strategy has been the one that they have been going down so hope he means the sponsors.

Obviously I don't know the guy but I do think that the idea of bringing someone in from outside of golf is a good one.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 03 Dec 2013, 10:55 pm

"New markets"? Does he mean "England"?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:40 am

Tigers enemy list

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2013-10/tiger-woods-enemy-list-photos#slide=1

not sure how super realist missed out.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:40 am

Super Injunction.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:34 pm

Geoff Ogilvy speaks sense.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/2013-12/tiger-woods-brandel-chamblee-geoff-ogilvy

PS- Is Tiger really boycotting Golf Channel interviews??
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:43 pm

Always good stuff from Ogilvy (except on the course for the past 2 or 3 years); he's become a go-to quote machine for golf journalists.

But let's not confuse what Chamblee wrote with the Golf Channel - although clearly they pay him, his Tiger diatribe was for someone else entirely.

If Woods is going after Golf Channel that's like the old, very old, Geoffrey Green quote about fire engines going to the wrong fire - possibly analagous to another aspect of Tiger's behaviour of course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:45 pm

Agree with Ogilvy.

Chamblee should eagerly opine away (broken record that he is) ... and Tiger should just as eagerly dismiss talking heads any and all ways he possibly desires to. (The next non-cliche interview Tiger gives, I suspect, will be among his first.)

In the professional game it's about the number you post; no one "talks" their way to the winner's circle.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 04 Dec 2013, 2:00 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:But let's not confuse what Chamblee wrote with the Golf Channel - although clearly they pay him, his Tiger diatribe was for someone else entirely..
But is the Woods camp expecting Golf Channel to discipline Chamblee for the article?

From The Telegraph:

"It will be intriguing to see if Woods grants the Golf Channel dedicated interviews at this week's World Challenge in California. Woods is the promoter of the event, which benefits his charitable foundation and Golf Channel are one of the broadcast partners.

Since the Chamblee saga escalated, Woods has only appeared at the Turkish Airlines Open, where the Telegraph reported that the Woods camp made it clear there would be no one-on-one interviews with the Golf Channel".
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:36 pm

Well done Chamblee, if Nine Chins refuses to do interviews then Chamblee has done the world a favour. Nine Chins interviews are as boring and formulaic as they come.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:03 pm

McLaren wrote:Tigers enemy list

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2013-10/tiger-woods-enemy-list-photos#slide=1

not sure how super realist missed out.
The rules book also missed oit..... Run 

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 05 Dec 2013, 9:06 am

super_realist wrote:Well done Chamblee, if Nine Chins refuses to do interviews then Chamblee has done the world a favour. Nine Chins interviews are as boring and formulaic as they come.
You're right there. Answering the same dumb ass questions for 20 years must take it's toll on the most patient of yooman beans. And he doesn't strike me as that patient.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Dec 2013, 9:19 am

MontysMerkin wrote:
super_realist wrote:Well done Chamblee, if Nine Chins refuses to do interviews then Chamblee has done the world a favour. Nine Chins interviews are as boring and formulaic as they come.
You're right there. Answering the same dumb ass questions for 20 years must take it's toll on the most patient of yooman beans. And he doesn't strike me as that patient.
Nine Chins is just as guilty for giving the same dreary answers, he's not bright enough to play with the reporters and have a bit of a laugh with them

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 05 Dec 2013, 9:54 am

Tell me Tiger, how tough was it out there?
How is your swing at the moment?

Hmmmm quite tough.
It's ok, thankyou very much for asking.
steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam steam 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Dec 2013, 9:55 am

How about the questions we should be asking players?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:01 am

Did you enjoy your blowjob from Kirsty Gallacher?
Why yes I did, it was most pleasant, thankyou. Very Happy 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:02 am

When are you going to stop that stupid habit of wearing red on a Sunday?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:06 am

When the Lord allows it, my son.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down