The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British referee fight stoppages(mainly regarding Froch/Groves)

+3
catchweight
TRUSSMAN66
Volcanicash
7 posters

Go down

British referee fight stoppages(mainly regarding Froch/Groves) Empty British referee fight stoppages(mainly regarding Froch/Groves)

Post by Volcanicash Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:35 pm

Theres has been a lot of talk about possible corruption and standing 8 counts to avoid what we saw on Saturday, but I think its more of a British referee thing, I've seen many "stoppages" given to the benefit of house fighters where it is stopped too early and you know full well the opponent should be given the benefit of the doubt. I can't say I've seen the same course of action )from oversees refs(if anything they may let the fight go on longer) although I'm sure it must happen on occasion.

I know theres an enormous amount of sympathy towards Groves at the moment and and rightly so, but it shouldn't be forgotten he has benefited from this type of refereeing.

Kenny Anderson, unbeaten at the time and fighting under a adam booth promo, was well in the fight with groves and had him in a world of trouble, yet when he was in trouble he was automatically stopped, no count no nothing. Since that fight he has been largely under the radar yet hasn't been beaten since and managed to pick up the british title, but did he get the chance to avenge his defeat to Groves? Nope. So if Froch doesn't give him a rematch opportunity I can't feel too sorry for him, he's still young and no doubt will get other title chances if the rematch doesn't happen.(I hope it does but the way Froch has come across in recent interviews I have my doubts)

I'm not saying 2 wrongs make a right, at the end of the day both fighters should have been given the benefit of doubt, but I do think a little perspective needs to be in order, British refs favour house/favourite fighters the majority of the time, not right but true.

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

British referee fight stoppages(mainly regarding Froch/Groves) Empty Re: British referee fight stoppages(mainly regarding Froch/Groves)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:38 pm

Mickey Vann throwing towels back out ???

Didn't stop Cleverley early !!!

I think it depends on who are paying their wages as to how long fights go..........Though some referees have dignity...........

Not a Brit thing either.......Some referees were too close to Don King...No names.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

British referee fight stoppages(mainly regarding Froch/Groves) Empty Re: British referee fight stoppages(mainly regarding Froch/Groves)

Post by Volcanicash Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:41 pm

Ha Cleverly was the House fighter, didn't the ref carry him to his stool? Maybe its not just a brit thing but it certainly is prevalent over here.

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:45 pm

Remember that Bute fight back in Canada........???

That referee had "Don't be late with my envelope" written all over him!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm

British refs favour the house fighter......

The question you should be asking is why and how this is not evidence of corruption.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:48 pm

Because It's hard to prove............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:52 pm

It might be difficult to prove but if there was anyone bothered doing a thorough investigation into the way boxing is run I think the high levels of corruption would come to light fairly quickly. Cleaner sports than boxing have been exposed once the problem is actually looked into in a meaningful capacity.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:54 pm

The ref in the Robin Reid v Sven Ottke, stunk, Reid was getting penalised for having the audacity to throw a punch back,talk about euros in the back pocket job.

As Henry Cooper used to say you have to knock em out in Germany just to get a draw,I think hometown decisions and bad refereeing is global

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:55 pm

I agree.......But it costs money and the board of control hasn't got a lot.........Watson nearly bankrupted them........and who else is going to be interested ??

A bit like premier league referees........We all know they help the big teams but they say "they made a judgement call !!!"

What can you do............It's wrong but it ain't changing soon

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:57 pm

Ive no doubt its global but the UK has been particularly bad recently. Ive seen stuff that cant be explained away by mere incompetence.

The recent Froch fight, the recent Burns fight, Cleverly being helped by the ref back to his corner and so on. This is hard to all put down to subtle influences of the crowd or incompetent officials.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:01 pm

Tyson - Bruno 1.......With steele was one of the worst I saw...........SURPRISE SURPRISE!!

Whacks him when he's down blatantly, elbows bruno at will, Head in the face all night......

NOTHING !!!!

Bruno on a last warning at the end of the first round and nearly killed on the ropes at the end.......

and people look at Taylor-Chavez and say it was bonafide !!!

I wanted Tyson to win...........Me I'll take incompetence over other stuff any day of the week..

Joey Curtis a heads up !!thumbsup

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:12 pm

Its been going on for a long time. not just the ref either, look closer at how many times the doctor stops the away fighter. barrera-khan, cleverly-murat two prime examples.

promoters do everything they can to keep their assets in line for high earning fights. anyone who believes there is no corruption in british boxing is seriously deluded. Hearn is as bad as anyone for it

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:15 pm

Remember sucker-Steele again with the Doctor.......Tried to spoil Hagler-Hearns and the Doctor didn't even wait to see the cut Laugh  Told him to let it go because like everyone else he was enjoying the fight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:18 pm

Nico the gman wrote:The ref in the Robin Reid v Sven Ottke, stunk, Reid was getting penalised for having the audacity to throw a punch back,talk about euros in the back pocket job.

As Henry Cooper used to say you have to knock em out in Germany just to get a draw,I think hometown decisions and bad refereeing is global
The ref (Roger Tillaman) was terrible in Ottke/Reid, but let's put it in perspective. Tillaman didn't stop Reid as soon as Ottke landed some shots, warning a fighter and taking a dodgy point off is one thing, ending the fight is another. What Foster did on Saturday night was worse than any German officiating that we, over here, used to bang on about as blatant cheating.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:22 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Tyson - Bruno 1.......With steele was one of the worst I saw...........SURPRISE SURPRISE!!

Whacks him when he's down blatantly, elbows bruno at will, Head in the face all night......

NOTHING !!!!

Bruno on a last warning at the end of the first round and nearly killed on the ropes at the end.......

I wanted Tyson to win...........Me I'll take incompetence over other stuff any day of the week..

So true. I remember the US commentary team laughing about it....fast forward to Abraham doing the same thing to Dirrell and suddenly it's deadly serious.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:24 pm

Lewis - Tyson was a shocker also..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:40 pm

Larry Holmes - Marvis Frazier was bad refereeing,Holmes was unloading bombs on Frazier and beckoning the ref in to stop the fight, should have been stopped long before it was, Frazier could have been seriously damaged.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 6:09 pm

You never saw Bramble-Crawley ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Nov 2013, 2:52 pm

Tyson vs Danny Williams...in round one Danny gets caught badly several times and does his usual flopping like a puppet with his strings cut act and somehow muddles through. Despite the fact Tyson was a shell of his former self, with a fighter like Williams, he was always one punch away from a win and yet we all know how that panned out.

Shame Groves didn't get similar consideration

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 2:56 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Tyson - Bruno 1.......With steele was one of the worst I saw...........SURPRISE SURPRISE!!

NOTHING !!!!

So true. I remember the US commentary team laughing about it....fast forward to Abraham doing the same thing to Dirrell and suddenly it's deadly serious.

Rewind a little bit to Pacquiao punching JMM when he was down for the 3rd time in their first fight.

Cheap shot by dirty fighting.

Not a fan.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down