The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F1 heading into DTM territory

3 posters

Go down

F1 heading into DTM territory  Empty F1 heading into DTM territory

Post by Fernando Fri 29 Nov 2013, 2:15 pm

Formula One drivers could be required by the rules to make two pit stops per race in 2014.

F1′s Strategy Group has proposed forcing drivers to pit twice per race and limiting how long each driver can run on each type of tyre, according to a report in Autosport.

Would this be a positive change for the sport?

For

The proposed change would impose tight limits on how long each driver could run on a set of tyres for, reducing their incentive to preserve their tyres. Excessive tyre preservation has been a criticism of racing this year.

This could also have a safety benefit, as drivers would not be able to run the tyres until they are at risk of failing. At the Indian Grand Prix this year Pirelli expressed concerns over teams running the tyres for longer stints than they felt was safe.

Against

Forcing drivers to make a minimum number of pit stops could reduce the scope for variety in the racing. On several occasions this year battles for position have been created by drivers making fewer pit stops than their rivals, which will be harder to do with these restrictions.

Races which feature a single pit stop for most drivers are not necessarily viewed as boring. For example last year’s United States Grand Prix was rated as one of the best dry races of the season.

Ensuring that drivers use tyres safely would be better achieved by giving them more time to test them, which has already been arranged for next year.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

F1 heading into DTM territory  Empty Re: F1 heading into DTM territory

Post by Guest Fri 29 Nov 2013, 2:37 pm

I don't think you should make it compulsory for teams/drivers to two stop. The regulation changes for 2014 are heading in a 'conserving' direction of engine, tyres, fuel, brakes etc, whereas compulsory two stops, would seem to be heading in the other direction of allowing drivers to push & be more flat out. Contradicts in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:02 pm

Id be surprised if this passes
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 03 Dec 2013, 4:41 pm

I SO hope this idea is rejected.

F1 is meant to be about teams using their own knowledge to decide what the best strategy is.

They're already going to be hamstrung further by the design regs with smaller front and rear wings (don't mind so much about losing the blown exhaust downforce), as well as engine and fuel regs.

The more I read about the new regs, the less I like them.

I'm also not sure I like the idea of the new ERS being avaialble for 30 seconds and supplying a whopping 120hp. For starters, can you imagine how much tougher its going to make overtaking (I'm guessing smaller wings will reduce the effect of DRS).

Also, if the system malfunctions (like Webbers' did so often) you're going to be even more of a sitting duck than before.

Have to say I'm really not liking the direction F1 is going in. I'm hoping against hope it will confound my expectations next season, but I'm not seeing much cause for optimism right now.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down