The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warburton : beating Australia not "a motivation"

+6
Icu
ultra
The Saint
majesticimperialman
Poorfour
GloriousEmpire
10 posters

Go down

Warburton : beating Australia not "a motivation" Empty Warburton : beating Australia not "a motivation"

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 01 Dec 2013, 7:27 pm

"Captain Sam Warburton insisted defeat was "not a setback" to Wales' long-term goal of World Cup success, and that getting one over on Australia, who, along with England, they will face in the pool stages in 2015, was "not really the motivation" behind Saturday's game."

Interesting words from the Welsh captain, who doesn't see 9 losses in a row to Australia and 18 losses in a row against SH giants as an issue.

Perhaps Wales need to start seeing these losses as such an issue before they might move on?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/25172089

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Warburton : beating Australia not "a motivation" Empty Re: Warburton : beating Australia not "a motivation"

Post by Poorfour Sun 01 Dec 2013, 7:35 pm

Yes, but preferably not before 2016.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Warburton : beating Australia not "a motivation" Empty Re: Warburton : beating Australia not "a motivation"

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 01 Dec 2013, 8:12 pm

So why play them in the first place. He was only saying be the Ais, how he was looking forward to playing Australia and hopefully beating them.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 01 Dec 2013, 8:23 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:

Perhaps Wales need to start seeing these losses as such an issue before they might move on?
If you replaced Wales with Warburton, this wouldn't be an idiotic statement. I think it's time AWJ was made captain if this is Warbs attitude. Aus are in our RWC group so it doesn't get any worse than constantly losing to them, that's the reality of the situation.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Sun 01 Dec 2013, 8:37 pm

I haven't seen you mention the referee much on this particular match G     E. any reason?

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 01 Dec 2013, 11:14 pm

Thought he had a good game. Despite the yellow for Cooper which was clearly ridiculous.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Icu Sun 01 Dec 2013, 11:18 pm

I don't quite understand the Welsh obsession with beating the Wallabies. I get that it's 9 losses in a row but that's nothing compared to the records they have against the AB's and Springboks yet I rarely read about Wales wanting or aiming to break those hoodoo's. The Wallabies losing a rugby match is not much of an upset in terms of world rugby. Most top tier teams have done it past few years and some do it fairly regularly.

I'm not sure that beating the Wallabies means a team is "competing with or matching the SH". Most years the Wallabies struggle to "compete with the SH" let alone match them.

Icu

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 01 Dec 2013, 11:25 pm

But Wales are considered by some to be better than Australia. That's why it's a issue. It doesn't help that Wales are the best side in the NH but the other three home nations (including Ireland) have beaten Australia since Wales last did.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 01 Dec 2013, 11:47 pm

Icu wrote:I don't quite understand the Welsh obsession with beating the Wallabies. I get that it's 9 losses in a row but that's nothing compared to the records they have against the AB's and Springboks yet I rarely read about Wales wanting or aiming to break those hoodoo's.
They've given up haven't they?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 02 Dec 2013, 12:39 am

Icu wrote:I don't quite understand the Welsh obsession with beating the Wallabies. I get that it's 9 losses in a row but that's nothing compared to the records they have against the AB's and Springboks yet I rarely read about Wales wanting or aiming to break those hoodoo's. The Wallabies losing a rugby match is not much of an upset in terms of world rugby. Most top tier teams have done it past few years and some do it fairly regularly.

I'm not sure that beating the Wallabies means a team is "competing with or matching the SH". Most years the Wallabies struggle to "compete with the SH" let alone match them.
It's because over the past few ears (since the RWC) it has become a good rivalry. Also they have beaten us by very small margins an stole the games in the last phase play.
Eddie Butler said it yesterday ' every games has been tight, every game has been won by Australia' I think it's more of the small margins where we are beaten in which it has become an obsession. It more about showing we can beat Australia because we are more than capable.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Mon 02 Dec 2013, 1:27 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:"Captain Sam Warburton insisted defeat was "not a setback" to Wales' long-term goal of World Cup success, and that getting one over on Australia, who, along with England, they will face in the pool stages in 2015, was "not really the motivation" behind Saturday's game."

Interesting words from the Welsh captain, who doesn't see 9 losses in a row to Australia and 18 losses in a row against SH giants as an issue.

Ok, I'll pass the message on to them. Now, what will it take for you to move on?

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 02 Dec 2013, 4:04 am

Icu wrote:I don't quite understand the Welsh obsession with beating the Wallabies. I get that it's 9 losses in a row but that's nothing compared to the records they have against the AB's and Springboks yet I rarely read about Wales wanting or aiming to break those hoodoo's. The Wallabies losing a rugby match is not much of an upset in terms of world rugby. Most top tier teams have done it past few years and some do it fairly regularly.

The Wallabies are regarded as the easiest SH Target and the way in to competitiveness down south…not sure why, i think their backs are the best in the world, but there it is.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 02 Dec 2013, 4:05 am

Higher_Ground wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:"Captain Sam Warburton insisted defeat was "not a setback" to Wales' long-term goal of World Cup success, and that getting one over on Australia, who, along with England, they will face in the pool stages in 2015, was "not really the motivation" behind Saturday's game."

Ok, I'll pass the message on to them. Now, what will it take for you to move on?
He'll never move on, he's like that really annoying dog that runs onto the pitch during a game and steals your ball.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down