The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Afoa signs long term contract with English Premiership club.

+27
gregortree
munkian
lostinwales
ChequeredJersey
EnglishReign
Kingshu
geoff999rugby
VinceWLB
Geordie
Sin é
Welly
HammerofThunor
propdavid_london
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
dragon999
justified sinner
Bathite
HongKongCherry
Dubbelyew L Overate
The Great Aukster
formerly known as Sam
Standulstermen
Notch
Golden
Jhamer25
LeinsterFan4life
Artful_Dodger
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

John Afoa signs long term contract with English Premiership club. Empty John Afoa signs long term contract with English Premiership club.

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 04 Dec 2013, 5:59 pm

I'm intrigued as to which AP club has got him.  His wife and kids are in NZ and apparently his wife can't dig Belfast.  The talk initially was that he would go back to NZ to try and get a place in the 2015 World Cup squad.  The the talk was a big spending French club.  Which ever English outfit has got him has done particularly well, hes been easily in the top 3 tightheads in the European game over the last 2 seasons.

So, which English club is it?

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/latest/2013/12/john-afoa-to-leave-ulster.aspx

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

John Afoa signs long term contract with English Premiership club. Empty Re: John Afoa signs long term contract with English Premiership club.

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:14 pm

Also worth pointing out that there is a rumour doing the rounds that Leinster and Ireland starlet Jack McGrath might be headed to Ulster, although that would be a loosehead replacement for Court rather than Afoa.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

John Afoa signs long term contract with English Premiership club. Empty Re: John Afoa signs long term contract with English Premiership club.

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:21 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Also worth pointing out that there is a rumour doing the rounds that Leinster and Ireland starlet Jack McGrath might be headed to Ulster, although that would be a loosehead replacement for Court rather than Afoa.
Funny how a guy on Leinsterfans started that whole rumour. It went from the rumour mill to the media in a couple of days (just shows the respect that poster has). Mark Ansocombe seemed to laugh off the rumour if anything.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:27 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:Also worth pointing out that there is a rumour doing the rounds that Leinster and Ireland starlet Jack McGrath might be headed to Ulster, although that would be a loosehead replacement for Court rather than Afoa.
Funny how a guy on Leinsterfans started that whole rumour. It went from the rumour mill to the media in a couple of days (just shows the respect that poster has). Mark Ansocombe seemed to laugh off the rumour if anything.  
Really?  I didn't know that I just saw it on Facebook and Twitter, wasn't aware that Anscombe had responded to it.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:51 pm

So they are losing Court and Afoa. Ok both never really had a good enough run at international level but both make probably one of the most dominant scrums in Europe. I think Afoa is so under rated and one of the best out there. Never understood why he was always behind Franks.
Shame for Ulster two very big losses for Ulster.
Afoa is irreplaceable (unless it's Adam Jones, Nicholas Mas or Juan Figallo) and Court has been a devoted Ulstermun for years. I guess Ulster fans will be sad to see both go.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:59 pm

Odd that he's gone to England seen as how he couldn't stick Belfast.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 04 Dec 2013, 7:01 pm

The word is we have an Irish qualified loosehead coming, the McGrath rumour obviously stems from that (unless it is McGrath) and a top foreign tighthead coming in as well.  Jannie du Plessis was mentioned at one stage then signed a long term contract in SA.

We'll just have to wait and see.  To be honest Jhamer whilst Afoa is a big loss no Ulster scrum will ever be weak.  We have turned just about everytime scrum inside out this season with second choice front rows of Black, Herring and Fitzpatrick.  Black is in the form of his life, McAllister is hugely promising despite yet another injury setback.  So a solid loosehead and the top quality tighthead we are supposedly bringing in....I think we will still be one of the most dominant scrums in Europe.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 04 Dec 2013, 7:02 pm

Golden wrote:Odd that he's gone to England seen as how he couldn't stick Belfast.
It was his wife that couldn't stick Belfast, thats why she and the kids went back to NZ.  It is a bit odd, I suppose maybe she will be happier in whatever part of England it is in comparison to Belfast.  I was expecting him to go back to NZ or the south of France though, so an English club is a bit disappointing.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 04 Dec 2013, 7:09 pm

I'm not terribly sad to see Afoa go. He's done a BJ Botha- complained about how homesick he was for most of his contract and then gone and signed on with another NH club. Ulster have given him an amazing amount of latitude to fly back and forth to New Zealand to visit his family and miss games, with the rationale that if he was free from his contract he would move back to NZ where his wife and kids live. So to then move on to another NH club at the end of his contract- well, its the same situation for him and I bet he won't be racking up the airmiles at the same rate for his new club as he has been over the last year.

Feel like Ulster Rugby have been taken for a bit of a ride over allowing Afoa to make himself unavailable for various games, lesson learned hopefully. Imports are great when they and their families buy into the culture of the place they are moving to and the culture of the team they are in but when it doesn't work out, its best to just move on. Letting one player have special treatment and be able to pick and choose when he is in the country and available for training and matches is bad for the group no matter how exceptional that one player is.

Here's hoping its a successful end of the season for Mr. Afoa and he can move one to his new side with some silverware in his back pocket. I honestly think that this is the best thing for Ulster and the best thing for Big Bad John. He's a consummate professional so there's no doubt he'll be delivering the same high-quality performances he always has for the rest of his contract. When he's here.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 04 Dec 2013, 7:19 pm

we all knew it was coming but slightly surprised it is an AP club. At least that wont have any consequences for us next year Run 

I think the McGrath one has gone cold or at least that particular poster on leinsterfans hasn't brought it up again. I wonder if it was on the cards but perhaps how the season has panned out thus far has given cause for a rethink.

Anyway it depends entirely on who we bring in

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:35 pm

To be fair the Ulster scrum is a pretty monstrous unit. The back ups are good players and they aren't going to let you down. Be interesting to see who you bring in.

I wonder where he's going? Dai Young would probably sell his own mother to get him to Wasps. Sale must have some spare change after ditching show pony Gray with Buckley presumably off in the summer as well. Quins are the only big club desperately needing a tighthead though you can't rule out Sarries using the money being freed up from Borthwick's retirement to reinforce that front row with James Johnstone not looking as powerful under the new scrum laws.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:36 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:The word is we have an Irish qualified loosehead coming, the McGrath rumour obviously stems from that (unless it is McGrath) and a top foreign tighthead coming in as well.  Jannie du Plessis was mentioned at one stage then signed a long term contract in SA.

We'll just have to wait and see.  To be honest Jhamer whilst Afoa is a big loss no Ulster scrum will ever be weak.  We have turned just about everytime scrum inside out this season with second choice front rows of Black, Herring and Fitzpatrick.  Black is in the form of his life, McAllister is hugely promising despite yet another injury setback.  So a solid loosehead and the top quality tighthead we are supposedly bringing in....I think we will still be one of the most dominant scrums in Europe.
Ok but you put Black and Fitpatrick up agsint a scrum like Clermont, Leicester or Northmpton, then you will struggle.
I have seen a lot of black lately and he is a very strong scrummager, not the best though; i can remember our Samson getting a few nudges on him at our ground. Personally, i don't rate Fitzpatrick either, he blows hot and cold i think; a bit like Mike Ross, he isn't really that reliable
I do like Ulster but if i was a true supporter i would be truly gutted. Anyway why an English club do you think, i though his main reason for leaving Ulster was to move back to NZ?

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:47 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:i though his main reason for leaving Ulster was to move back to NZ?
The main reason for him leaving Ulster is because his contract is up.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:52 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:i though his main reason for leaving Ulster was to move back to NZ?
The main reason for him leaving Ulster is because his contract is up.
Haha, but really he could have signed a new one couldn't he.
I read he wanted to return to NZ somewhere

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:03 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:The word is we have an Irish qualified loosehead coming, the McGrath rumour obviously stems from that (unless it is McGrath) and a top foreign tighthead coming in as well.  Jannie du Plessis was mentioned at one stage then signed a long term contract in SA.

Ok but you put Black and Fitpatrick up agsint a scrum like Clermont, Leicester or Northmpton, then you will struggle.
I have seen a lot of black lately and he is a very strong scrummager, not the best though; i can remember our Samson getting a few nudges on him at our ground. Personally, i don't rate Fitzpatrick either, he blows hot and cold i think; a bit like Mike Ross, he isn't really that reliable
I do like Ulster but if i was a true supporter i would be truly gutted. Anyway why an English club do you think, i though his main reason for leaving Ulster was to move back to NZ?
If thats the match against the Blues what I remember is Scott Andrews getting absolutely man shamed by Black, Filisse then moving or coming on at tighthead and perhaps not getting decimated quite as badly as Andrews.  The encouraging thing is that not so long ago Black would have been considered our third choice loosehead behind Court and McAllister.  Some say part of the reason for Court's move to London Irish is the form of Black.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:26 pm

Am I right in thinking that Black hasn't been capped yet, so is still eligible for US and England?

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:38 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:

If thats the match against the Blues what I remember is Scott Andrews getting absolutely man shamed by Black, Filisse then moving or coming on at tighthead and perhaps not getting decimated quite as badly as Andrews.  The encouraging thing is that not so long ago Black would have been considered our third choice loosehead behind Court and McAllister.  Some say part of the reason for Court's move to London Irish is the form of Black.
No, its the scarlets game. In fairness no one turned up for that one so its hard to judge on that. I would be sceptical about Black being first choice truth be told although I think he is very able. Fitz has already stood up to Leicester and Montpelier so im not worried about him in the scrummaging sense. Fitness and play in the loose is an issue. That said we will sign players and in the TH potentially a high profile one so im not concerned. We haven't really had afoa properly for the vast majority of 2013 anyway

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:52 pm

Ryan Walkinshaw has tweeted tonight "will Gloucester have the best front row in the Premiership next season... Highly likely"

This may be jumping to the wrong conclusion or RW having a bit of fun, but how I would love Afoa to join us! If true I'd fully expect it will be at the expense of Cowan.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:56 pm

Glos signed a lh and a hooker as well?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:59 pm

Happy for you to have the best front row next year HKC, as long as the one that shows up at Murrayfield on Sunday is not up to that yet.

Enjoy the game.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:10 pm

Cheers justified OK

You don't need to worry about the scrum on Sunday, we'll let you walk all over us!

Bathite, all joking aside I fully expect more front row signings. 3 of our 4 hookers are out of contract and Huia Edmonds is apparently on a hefty sum which could be used more wisely. We perhaps may not see any LH signed but I'd imagine some hefty locks will join the ranks too...
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:14 pm

Hibbard & Afoa to Gloucester

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:26 pm

dragon999 wrote:Hibbard & Afoa to Gloucester
Just read about the Hibbard rumour on Twitter. That really would be 2 excellent signings. I'm in danger of getting carried away!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:09 pm

Wood, Hibbard, Afoa. That's some prime scrummaging beef there. Not quite Ayerza, Youngs, Cole though ;-) . Glaws tight five is currently rather powder puff, they sort that and the backline will sing (and what a backline as well).

" Fitz has already stood up to Leicester"

In the first half he struggled to contain Mulipola in the scrum. Whilst Mulipola is a beast of a man he is technically very average at the set piece having converted to front row duties in his twenties (only 24 now). He did sort it out for the second half mind. How old is Fitz?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:41 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:

No im a Scarlet's fan. Samson Lee i was on about
Not Scott Andrews, no one should boast about over scrummaging Scott Andrews; lets' just say it can't be that hard Whistle 
If you are happy to replace Black with Court then that's fine, if he do's proves me wrong and shoves the likes of Mas, Cole, Jones, Figallo, Johnstone of the ball in the next Heineken Cup then good on him. I just thought that Court would be seen a greta loos by the Ulster fans, that's all.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:08 am

I'd be happy to see someone like Afoa on a pay per play basis at Exe, bu otherwise, no thanks

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 05 Dec 2013, 1:19 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Wood, Hibbard, Afoa. That's some prime scrummaging beef there. Not quite Ayerza, Youngs, Cole though ;-) . Glaws tight five is currently rather powder puff, they sort that and the backline will sing (and what a backline as well).

" Fitz has already stood up to Leicester"

In the first half he struggled to contain Mulipola in the scrum. Whilst Mulipola is a beast of a man he is technically very average at the set piece having converted to front row duties in his twenties (only 24 now). He did sort it out for the second half mind. How old is Fitz?
Fitz is 29 I think. He did struggle but then he had the upper hand in the 2nd half and in Montpelier our scrum was grand until Afoa came on and then we got destroyed (only in the first one mind you). He is never going to be a world beater or fit enough to be our number 1 but he won't have to be I suspect.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Dec 2013, 8:32 am

At 29 you might see a touch more development but if you don't think he'll be first choice anyway it doesn't matter. Perfectly capable back up. Will it be promotion through your academy or another NIQ signing?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 05 Dec 2013, 8:35 am

Sounds like it could well be true that Afoa is joining Glaws...

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby/john-afoa-focused-on-winning-silverware-with-ulster-before-bidding-farewell-1-5729251
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 05 Dec 2013, 8:53 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:At 29 you might see a touch more development but if you don't think he'll be first choice anyway it doesn't matter. Perfectly capable back up. Will it be promotion through your academy or another NIQ signing?
Word is it we have a top NIQ tighthead coming.  Jannie du Plessis linked with us initially but then he signed a long term contract to stay in SA.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 05 Dec 2013, 8:54 am

Damm, If its Gloucester then Quins have missed the boat on that one!
We desperately need an experienced TH.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 05 Dec 2013, 9:00 am

propdavid_london wrote:Damm, If its Gloucester then Quins have missed the boat on that one!
It all depends on what the agreement is. Is his family coming over? If so I'm surprised he chose Gloucester. If they aren't I suspect his air miles will continue to rack up. We have seen it with some pacific nations plays at they come over for a good few years and leave their families behind to earn the money they can. Not seen it with a kiwi international that I can recall though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 05 Dec 2013, 9:24 am

Can I just say how nice it is for not everyone to assume that Bath are signing a player for once!

I bet we announce it tomorrow now i've said that

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:20 am

Chat on the Bath board is that Afoa is off to Sale, with Henry Thomas coming to Bath.

I guess Sale have the cash and the ambition and Henry Thomas is a local Bath lad. Can't say i'm that excited about his arrival though, with his scrummaging pretty poor.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:22 am

It's pretty much confirmed to be Gloucester who are signing Afoa Bathite. I'll eat my hat if its Sale.

Shortly after commissioning Thorntons to make me a hat out of delicious chocolate, but still. Not going to Sale.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:31 am

Bathite wrote:Chat on the Bath board is that Afoa is off to Sale, with Henry Thomas coming to Bath.

I guess Sale have the cash and the ambition and Henry Thomas is a local Bath lad. Can't say i'm that excited about his arrival though, with his scrummaging pretty poor.
Bath have to involved somewhere laughing 

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:03 am

Afoa, Hibbard to Glous Presitland to Wasps .

Guess burns is very likely to leave.

Wonder where they will get the cap to get depth.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:09 am

I've heard Cowan might be off from Glos, that free up loads and I doubt they are right at the top of the cap anyways. They've also got about 15 lads up for renewal at end of season, so will know how much they have to play with renewals and new signings

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:10 am

Welly wrote:Afoa, Hibbard to Glous Presitland to Wasps .

Guess burns is very likely to leave.

Wonder where they will get the cap to get depth.
Cowen will be going and probably was the Marquee signing. Also the money used to buy out Morgan's contract was counted against the the cap. Certainly not unfeasible for Gloucester to have the room. Depends on who else leaves.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:15 am

Cowen was a Marquee Signing:shock: 

Still don't see where the will be that many cap left.

36 has signed a new contract which would've gone up, Trinder would have gone up if burns stays then that will go up.

Didn't know Cowen was priced that much. will be interesting to see if any clubs go for the likes of Mills and sharples soon.

Glous now just need a big second row lock and they will have an impressive tight 5.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:22 am

Cowen out of cap, Afoa into cap. Problem solved.

Welly - your style looks very familiar to Beshocked

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:25 am

Standulstermen wrote:
propdavid_london wrote:Damm, If its Gloucester then Quins have missed the boat on that one!
It all depends on what the agreement is. Is his family coming over? If so I'm surprised he chose Gloucester. If they aren't I suspect his air miles will continue to rack up. We have seen it with some pacific nations plays at they come over for a good few years and leave their families behind to earn the money they can. Not seen it with a kiwi international that I can recall though
I thought the Kiwi's in general preferred more country living to cities?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:28 am

I don't know Sin truth be told. I was told by someone first hand info specific to this case that would contradict that. Not saying any more than that

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:29 am

Players like Hudson can be moved on and replaced by academy lads etc especially if theyre as good as Stooke.. as Hudson is massively on the decline. That frees up cash.

This is one area the falcons dont need anyone...just a shame about the rest of the feckin team ...furious 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:31 am

Who?

No I get the Cowen Afoa thing.

It the cap for Hibbard, not saying Glous don't have it,

Just will be interesting to see who will leave that still hasn't signed for Them. But with that front row and Back row and a core group of May, 36, Cooke and trinder (Burns?)in the backs, glous are just an enforcer 2nd row short of an formidable XV.

Maybe the Deal will be similar to Ulster, Glous signed a new tongan prop as well so it will give him time to devlop, under Afoa.

Afoa may also go to NZ during the LV cup games.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:51 am

I'd imagine Afoa for Cowan is a straight swap and Hibbard is made up from Edmonds (apparently on £180k) and quite possibly Qera. But also Olly Morgan recently retired and he was on a rather lucrative deal, so we do have some spare cash.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:59 am

Poor form from Afoa.

Or maybe his family wants to move to Gloucester but not Belfast? no, i don't believe it.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:20 pm

Gloucester might regret this.

Afoa left because he wife was homesick.
Hugh gamble to assume Gloucester will solve the problem.
Hope Glaws supports are ready to have a part timer on full salary because that is what Ulster have had to put up with.
Something tells me they will not be as understanding.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:28 pm

don't think glous will care to much, They need a scrummager not a mobile ball carrier.

And it sound like afoa scrumming is doing just fine.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:31 pm

What has that got to do with his non availability for key games Headscratch 

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next