The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it possible to support both Roger and Rafa?

+15
LuvSports!
JuliusHMarx
MurrayMad
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
summerblues
lydian
Danny_1982
Jahu
laverfan
kingraf
Jeremy_Kyle
dummy_half
hawkeye
Born Slippy
19 posters

Go down

Is it possible to support both Roger and Rafa? Empty Is it possible to support both Roger and Rafa?

Post by Born Slippy Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:17 am

Tennis has been fortunate over the last decade to have two such great players competing against each other. What I think has been most notable about this rivalry is the fact that the two players' court style could not be more different. The artistry and single-handed wizardry of Federer against the bludgeoning leftie spin of Nadal. Federer is the ice king on court to Rafa's vicious warrior. Both play great tennis but their styles are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum of many styles we can get in tennis.

So my question is whether its possible to support both. Obviously, there are a lot of fan wars about these two players and so there are a lot of people who have nailed their colours to the mast. Is it possible though to support both and why would you do so?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to support both Roger and Rafa? Empty Re: Is it possible to support both Roger and Rafa?

Post by hawkeye Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:30 am

Yes Very Happy IMO they are quite similar. Their differences are much exaggerated.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to support both Roger and Rafa? Empty Re: Is it possible to support both Roger and Rafa?

Post by dummy_half Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:06 am

hawkeye wrote:Yes Very Happy IMO they are quite similar. Their differences are much exaggerated.
Well, one similarity is that they both play baseline-oriented tennis to a very high standard. After that, not so much - Roger is the more instinctive shotmaker, Rafa the stronger 'gameplan' player (althogh Djokovic probably exceeds him in this regard - there was a comment during Wimbledon about Djoko only having a plan A, but that it was so good why does he need a plan B?). Federer moves with ease and finesse, while Rafa is the more powerful athlete. Federer is more about winning the points quickly, Rafa about absorbing what his opponent throws at him and then countering when the opportunity arrives. Just shows there's more than one way to be a success.

You can be a fan of both, but the reasons for admiring them would be different - Federer for his sublime skill, Rafa for his athleticism and heart (this is not intended to downplay what an outstanding shotmaker Rafa is, but it's not THE great strength of his game).

I've said before, I am a huge fan of sportsmen who have the ability to make the near impossible look easy - in that regard Federer is head and shoulders above all his contemporaries, and so even now when he is celarly over the hill I still want to see him play, just to produce a few moments of magic. Sadly, when up against the best it isn't enough now.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:39 am

^ Mmmm.

Both play baseline-orientated tennis. Also both are excellent volleyers.

Instinctive? At their level and experience instinct will always play a part. Granted Federer is a little more stubborn than Nadal.

Both have distinctive styles. This makes them both stand out from coached styles such as Djokovic's. Djokovic does what he does exceptionally but there is nothing unique about his style.

Both Fed and Nadal have supreme skill AND athleticism. They both make the game look beautiful in their own distinctive way. (Unless your a fan of just one)

They have a slight difference in the way they conduct themselves on court. Both are cool, concentrated and keep a game face on until they remove their bandana at the end of the match. But Federer shows little emotion when he has hit a good shot at an important time unlike Nadal. This can give the illusion that Federer's good shots are somehow more effortless.

Both are head and shoulders above their contemporaries.

Both handle the media well, are a dream for sponsors and are loved by tennis fans (admittedly sometimes not the same tennis fans)

Both are the same weight and height.

Both will end their career with the same number of slams (maybe?)

But Federer is older than Nadal by nearly 5 years so there is a difference.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:53 am

Federer is a classy, elegant man and player. Nadal is all about raw, brutal will and physical power. Not the Gq award kind of guy imvho.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Nadal is a men's health man. Federer is a GQ man... Andy is a caveman...

and that my friends is called a pre-emptive strike...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:43 pm

To answer the question, yeah. I think it is possible. I like them both for differing reasons. I think their overall shotmaking ability is a lot closer than most want to admit (the Bull vs maestro billing is too enticing, I suppose). I didn't like Roger much when he was winning. Grudging respect, sure... but not like. Now, though, he has a very South African feel about him. The way he manages his injury (no fuss, no retirements, just get on with it). The fact that he is a Swiss who likes cricket. The fact that he used to play tennis in an abandoned/haunted hospital near where my parents lived. If he wasn't worth more money than god, he'd definitely be a very relatable guy.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:01 pm

kingraf wrote:Nadal is a men's health man. Federer is a GQ man... Andy is a caveman...

You are the walrus!!!!! thumbsup 

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/tpx_26461996/mens-health-magazine-ukraine-july-2011/

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/tpx_23557893/mens-health-magazine-romania-august-2011/

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Nadal-Appears-On-Mens-Health-Cover-(Photos)-articolo4125.html

http://www.glamourboysinc.com/2011/04/rafael-nadal-chris-hemsworth-mens.html
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:09 pm

@BS.. Yes.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:16 pm

@KingRaf… Condolences for the passing of Mandela.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Thanks LF - It's all a bit surreal at the moment... Must be said though, the man was loved, lived a meaningful life, and leaves behind a great legacy which all Saffers fully expect his off spring to urinate on in an attempt to get their inheritance.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:37 am

Of course it's possible. I support 3, Fed, Murray, Nadal, and anyone that beats the lights out of Djoko. Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:13 am

kingraf wrote:Nadal is a men's health man. Federer is a GQ man... Andy is a caveman...

Oi! Caveman? That's no way to talk of a GQ man of the year, British Sports Personality of the year (surely) and winner of British tennis holy grail (before that title got nicked for some other tournament) and 77 year drought ender! Wink 

I think there are loads that support both out there. People are drawn to success at the end of the day, and those two have had a fair bit of it it's fair to say.

Though it's also much easier for Rafa fans to admire Roger nowadays, now that he's no longer cleaning up.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Yes...but probably not equally!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:24 pm

lydian wrote:Yes...but probably not equally!
Hehe.  Indeed.  In theory it is perhaps possible but I know nobody who roots for them both in anything like an equal measure.  Certainly the vast majority of tennis fans I personally know support one or the other, but not both.  They may be ok with both, but I know of pretty much no tennis fan who - when the two of them play - would be indifferent to who wins.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Sure it is, you can support whoever you like. Hell you can be a Roger and Nole fan as well although for me there simply is too much bad blood.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:14 pm

summerblues wrote:
lydian wrote:Yes...but probably not equally!
Hehe.  Indeed.  In theory it is perhaps possible but I know nobody who roots for them both in anything like an equal measure.  Certainly the vast majority of tennis fans I personally know support one or the other, but not both.  They may be ok with both, but I know of pretty much no tennis fan who - when the two of them play - would be indifferent to who wins.

Exactly imo there are those who say they DO.. but in the final analysis I think it highly improbable it comes down to one or other
It is possible to like both of course, but "support" is, a whole different ball game

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Deja Vu! If 'support' is equated to who will win when they play each other, it is, IMVHO, rather restrictive and a narrow interpretation of the word.

It is unlikely that Federer will beat Nadal ever again (but miracles can happen). If HE's latest is anything to go by, it would be a Bushism, You are with us (Nadal/Federer) or them(Federer/Nadal).

Has anyone measured such 'support' quantitatively, Lydian? IMHO, never. Internet boards are divisive though, even forums split. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by MurrayMad Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:40 am

I am appalled at the attitude to tennis every commenter has on this site. It is childish, immature  and goes against everything tennis is about. Of course we can like both Rafa and Roger but why would we if Andy is out there.

MurrayMad

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:46 am

MurrayMad wrote:I am appalled at the attitude to tennis every commenter has on this site. It is childish, immature  and goes against everything tennis is about. Of course we can like both Rafa and Roger but why would we if Andy is out there.

Whistle Laugh  Hillarious where are you HE  clap 

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:56 am

HE is currently in Moderator school learning how to be nice to Murray fans before taking over her new role. It's taking longer than expected, but I think we'll have it cracked in the next 5 or 6 months.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:56 am

I didn't vote for her!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:HE is currently in Moderator school learning how to be nice to Murray fans before taking over her new role. It's taking longer than expected, but I think we'll have it cracked in the next 5 or 6 months.

Good Lord is she taking a crash course !!!!  Wink 

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:04 am

MurrayMad wrote:I am appalled at the attitude to tennis every commenter has on this site. It is childish, immature  and goes against everything tennis is about. Of course we can like both Rafa and Roger but why would we if Andy is out there.

Hi MurrayMad,

Hug You certainly suit your name! Poor Roger and Rafa. I suppose there is nothing they could do to win your affections? What do you think of Nole? He has a new celebrity coach and I also believe he is quite good at dancing.  Very Happy

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:09 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:HE is currently in Moderator school learning how to be nice to Murray fans before taking over her new role. It's taking longer than expected, but I think we'll have it cracked in the next 5 or 6 months.

Good Lord is she taking a crash course !!!!   Wink 

Smile we're doing double-shifts!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:27 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:

Good Lord is she taking a crash course !!!!   Wink 

Smile we're doing double-shifts!

Obviously a glutton for punishment or a martyr to hopeless causes I admire your dedication  laughing 

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by MurrayMad Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Hawkeye,
Even though I have recently been advised to stsy away from you as you are a well known Murray hater, which is something I am far from, I am willing to give you a chance. I have been reading past comments you have made and I disagree with all however you do show some wit. As for Nole, I am new to tennis and have yet to come across him but from your description he is no match for Andy.

MurrayMad

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Well not sure Andy sees it that way vs Djokovic but he's certainly had the upper hand on grass in recent times. Murray right now is an unknown quantity, we need to see how he gets on at AO jthen we can probably clearer about where his form & game is vs Djokovic AND Nadal. Perhaps a resurgent/refocused Federer too. We also need to see if Murray has the same fire in his belly having achieved his childhood dream and getting the UK monkey off his back. Interesting times ahead and it will be good to have a fully fit top 5 or so back on tour for what seems like ages.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:59 pm

MurrayMad wrote:Hi Hawkeye,
Even though I have recently been advised to stsy away from you as you are a well known Murray hater, which is something I am far from, I am willing to give you a chance. I have been reading past comments you have made and I disagree with all however you do show some wit. As for Nole, I am new to tennis and have yet to come across him but from your description he is no match for Andy.

Oh dear I await with baited breath in 2014 .. this really should be fun if you have only just come across the Serbinator

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Welcome MurrayMad.

Slightly confused about how a big Murray fan wouldn't know of Djokovic when they've met in 4 grand slam finals, 3 of them in recent times... But hey ho.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:21 pm

MurrayMad wrote:Even though I have recently been advised to stsy away from you as you are a well known Murray hater, which is something I am far from, I am willing to give you a chance. I have been reading past comments you have made and I disagree with all however you do show some wit.

Please be advised, MM, that HE is neck-deep in a Moderation Crash-course, very ably taught by the resident Dark Arts expert JHM. She has the One Ring to rule them all.  laughing 

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Welcome MurrayMad.

Slightly confused about how a big Murray fan wouldn't know of Djokovic when they've met in 4 grand slam finals, 3 of them in recent times... But hey ho.

…. I am new to tennis and have yet to come across him …

@MM.. Craig (of the Caledonian variety) is the Chief Murray Officer. Please swing by his office when you can.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by MurrayMad Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:02 pm

I am the biggest Murray fan on this site from what I have seen so far- even though I have barely watched a whole Murray match in my life. I support Andy because he is a man of my country and has given the UK pride. If only some of you had lloyalty to your own country like I do.

MurrayMad

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Lol!
Did you start supporting Murray after his Wimbledon win this year?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Given the UK pride? Come on...so did Froome do so as well?
Loyalty to ones own country has led to some of the biggest issues seen to mankind. I have never supported any player out of nationality, I rather focus on what they bring to court and their personality therein. What piece of arbitary demarcated rock they come from matters little to me. BTW, Murray's biggest fan...? You haven't met Calendonian Craig then?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by MurrayMad Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Firstly no I did not become a Murray fan after his Wimbledon win, it was after he gave his winning US open speech. He spoke with such pride and joy yet he was modest too- it made me feel proud of where I was from. I see your point lydian and I wish I wasn't so easily swayed into liking a player because of their nationality. However my heart belongs to Andy and it cannot be changed, I'm afaid.
I am looking forword to meeting Calendonian Craig.

MurrayMad

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:58 pm

MM… very glad and happy for the patriotism you show and pride in it.

Tennis, as a sport, does need a lot more global participation, than just one country or another. There are many Murray fans on v2, so it is good to have another added to such rolls.

Not so long ago, the British empire extended across the globe.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:49 pm

We are in the middle of discussions on virtues of HEs posting and here comes MM - an Andy superfan who never heard of Nole, only saw a couple of Andy's matches, does not know HE but knows that there is some wit in her posts... ...mhmmm.

But just in case you are for real, welcome here MM. Smile

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:26 pm

Murraymad....welcome.

I'm slightly confused as you say you became a Murray fan during or after his US Open 2012 win speech, but you say you haven't come across Djokovic, who was the guy the other side of the net he beat to win that USO !!

He was also the guy he beat in the Wimbledon final this year (2013) and lost to in the OZ slam 2013 final.

Maybe you were mistaken, but since Djokovic was No1 for most of 2013 and was a prominent figure in tennis news the world over, you may have had your head buried in another sport for the last 16 months :¬p

PS, why has my smillies box disappeared, am I not worthy ?

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:56 pm

I suppose in fairness posters sometimes refer to players I'm well aware of, but by nicknames I'm not. "Nole" is not a name Djokovic is referred to in mainstream media.
However, I'm as convinced as summerblues as to MM's status.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Anyone read Ender's Game?

Two of the characters work together by taking opposing views on forums and become powerful by the dialogue they create.

And here we see MurrayMad arriving just as HE volunteers to be a moderator...

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Happy New Year everyone. If u follow the Gregorian calendar that is. Just like to say hope this forum continues as it does. I enjoy the tennis discussion.

Plus I hope Feds new racquet yields greater reward than his 2013 year. I have a feeling his better preseason preparations (compared to his 2013 - due to his South American tour) will bring better results. Then again. I've been hopelessly wrong before !!

Hope you all have a prosperous and happy 2014 Smile

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:32 am

Johnyjeep wrote:Happy New Year everyone. If u follow the Gregorian calendar that is. Just like to say hope this forum continues  as it does. I enjoy the tennis discussion.

Plus I hope Feds new racquet yields greater reward than his 2013 year. I have a feeling his better preseason preparations (compared to his 2013 - due to his South American tour) will bring better results. Then again. I've been hopelessly wrong before !!

Hope you all have a prosperous and happy 2014 Smile

Thank you JJ and the same to you and all my fellow tennis fans on 606v2   May 2014 bring everything you hope for

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:29 am

summerblues, HM

As If! Rolling Eyes

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:29 am

Actually I will confess all. My alter ego is JuliusHMarx/mikey and we are planning on taking over 606v2.... and then the world.

MurrayMad/CaladonianCraig have a mission to protect the Murray name, summerblues/nitb are here from the other place to investigate the holy grail theory and HM is part of an infiltration by MI5 so we all better be very careful what we say  Wink 

Happy 2014  Bubbly

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:16 am

Of course you can. Long as you dont have an agenda against a player or its supporters theyre both very hard to hate.
Tennis isnt a game that must be played one way, and both guys with differing baseline styles are the masters of their fields. Theyre both well behaved, likable and can field a tennis vintage that can be mesmerising to watch.
If you get too tribal over it, then you get trouble

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:48 am

falzy21 wrote:Of course you can.

clap

BTW, Happy New Year.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:23 pm

indeed happy new year to all

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down