The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New European Rugby cup (or whatever it is called) - Qualification agreed

+56
Toadfish
Fred Windsor
Metal Tiger
Chunky Norwich
The Great Aukster
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
quinsforever
Steffan
Welsh Magician
Irish Londoner
Allty
Shifty
TBJ9625
Brendan
Intotouch
Exiledinborders
Kingshu
LeinsterFan4life
GunsGerms
Geordie
whocares
Jenifer McLadyboy
timhen
doctor_grey
Brennus
ME-109
wayne
andyi
nathan
Totalflanker
Rugby Fan
stub
Standulstermen
Breadvan
BigTrevsbigmac
Feckless Rogue
Portnoy's Complaint
Artful_Dodger
lostinwales
geoff999rugby
asoreleftshoulder
Pete330v2
maestegmafia
thebandwagonsociety
R!skysports
HammerofThunor
Dubbelyew L Overate
Notch
SecretFly
geoff998rugby
broadlandboy
TJ
profitius
Poorfour
Sin é
mystiroakey
60 posters

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Go down

New European Rugby cup (or whatever it is called) - Qualification agreed - Page 21 Empty New European Rugby cup (or whatever it is called) - Qualification agreed

Post by mystiroakey Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

"Rugby Union is too complicated to understand to attract a mass audience in the first place."

which is the problem for union fans..

because otherwise league or NFL could overtake rugby and kill it.

Off course the reality is it isnt to complicated and by far the best form, but if union doesn't progress(as at the moment it is by far the biggest global rugby type game) others will over take

Last edited by mystiroakey on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

New European Rugby cup (or whatever it is called) - Qualification agreed - Page 21 Empty Re: New European Rugby cup (or whatever it is called) - Qualification agreed

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:52 am

1000th post on another article.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

New European Rugby cup (or whatever it is called) - Qualification agreed - Page 21 Empty Re: New European Rugby cup (or whatever it is called) - Qualification agreed

Post by lostinwales Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:56 am

HammerofThunor wrote:1000th post on another article.

And that is just TJ

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:14 am

Someone should add up all the threads on this subject over the last 18 months or so.

You could probably power a small nation with the cpu cycles used on just this forum alone.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:34 am

It seems this thread alone has just finished it's 5th cycle (others are 990 posts) so this is the 4963rd post (and at least 50% are almost direct copies of the same points, FACT)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:59 am

Shocked Do I get a prize for starting the 1st cycle of this thread laughing

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:03 am

HammerofThunor wrote:It seems this thread alone has just finished it's 5th cycle (others are 990 posts) so this is the 4963rd post (and at least 50% are almost direct copies of the same points, FACT. End of)

Fixed that for you, Thunor, no charge on this occasion (unlike the RCC obvs, where you'll be charged for e/thing!!)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:57 am

geoff998rugby wrote: Shocked Do I get a prize for starting the 1st cycle of this thread laughing

You get hounded off the site and forced to live in the dark corners of the internet. With the spectres of HERSH, GreyGhost, etc

In fact I'veonly just realised those 5000c posts were all AFTER qualification was supposedly agreed!

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Those were the days when we thought qualification and finances was all that needed to be decided.

We were young (well some of you were) and naive then.

Little did we know it was only the start and that TV and Governance were what it was really about.

The scary thing is its got more complicated - is that Club Governance, ERC Governance, 6N Governance, FIRA Governance, Union Governance, 606v2 Governance

Only 2 1/2 months and still 3 1/2 months to the end of the season - we may not even be half way !!!!!

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Me and TJ will get into a circular argument again not doubt. We'll breach that 10000 post target. All for you Geoff, think positive.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:05 pm

Can we close all threads on ERC/RCC governance and participation until there's something concrete out there - e.g. a press release?

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:08 pm

Why? It hasn't stopped us until now. Also it gives those who are behaving irrationally over this (TJ  Whistle ) somewhere to vent. Previous there were around 5 or 6 threads all saying the same thing.

Also, in the future, when they're investigating the cause of World War III there will be unprecidented documated evidence.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:25 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Me and TJ will get into a circular argument again not doubt. We'll breach that 10000 post target. All for you Geoff, think positive.

Speak for yourself! I am linear thru and thru Wink

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:10 pm

TJ wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Me and TJ will get into a circular argument again not doubt. We'll breach that 10000 post target. All for you Geoff, think positive.

Speak for yourself!  I am linear thru and thru Wink

Yet, straight into the brick wall of common sense  Very Happy 

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:Can we close all threads on ERC/RCC governance and participation until there's something concrete out there - e.g. a press release?

Problem is there's a press release every week. Unfortunately its normally a slightly passive aggressive re-wording of the official position taken by that organisation before Christmas.

There might be light at the end of the tunnel because the RFU are meeting with the FFR this week and if those two can agree on a way forward together they might be able to whip their clubs into shape over it. But we've heard this light at the end of the tunnel stuff many times before.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Lot of big meetings/deadlines to come.

Pro12 discussion with the Italian's next week
WRU deadline on SP due at end of the month

Things will liven up real soon

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Saucer of cream for Mr Hammer  Whistle 

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:33 pm

96% of the universe so they say consists of thusfar undetectable dark matter.

Almost 0% of this debate and its precursors consists of Glorious Empire's posts.

As a devout/fundamentalist atheist, I scream "Praise the Lord"  angel angel angel 

Its good to see heartfelt, earnest debate - even when the arguments regularly go OTT and circular.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:06 pm

TJ wrote:Saucer of cream for Mr Hammer  Whistle 

Miaow...or did I miss a reference.

Portnoy, it gets heated at times because some feel very strongly about this and argue with passion while some of us just try and stick with logic... Whistle 

But I don't think there are any real WUM and everyone remembers every now and then to have a bit of a laugh at least.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:04 pm

TJ wrote:Seems to me another attempt by the RFU ( who generally have played a weak hand well) to find a way back in for the PRL teams.  I suspect the RFU are very unhappy at the prospect of no england teams in next years european cup but I would be very surprised if they get any significant further compromises for next year.

However to the 5N who runs the comp is not that important so long as the power remains with the unions is my reading of the situation.

Dunno what is really left to negotiate but to continue talking is good.

Actually the RFU are trying to get the French back to the table after they stormed out of the last meeting due to ghe refusal of the Rabo Unions to give up their monopoly on the governing body.

The French want the competition run by Fira not the Rabo Cabal.

RFU are pushing the 6 Nations committee as a compromise.

Nothing to do with getting the PRL back in.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:05 pm

Looks as though LNR have concluded their broadcasting deal with Canal +  :

www.sport.fr

Canal + remains the broadcaster Top 14

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 22:30
Canal + has renewed the rights to broadcast the Top 14 for five more seasons at a total of € 335 million. A € 71 million on average per year, this contract is simply doubled compared to the previous! Sports competition bein pushed the auction.

What could have been the series of winter finally ended early. Canal + and the NRL have agreed on a new contract for 5 seasons through a strong appreciation: € 355 million in total, or 71 million on average per season, against 31.7 million in the current contract. For these conditions are définitiveement the Top 14 the richest domestic rugby championship of the world, the National Rugby League has operated perfectly. She exercised a clause allowing him to withdraw in early December, the current contract with Canal +, which was to expire at the end of the 2015-2016 season. Less than two weeks later, the NRL has barely had time to launch its tender: Canal + is returned to the charge with a "inrefusable" offer. The prospect of losing a major new element of its catalog of rights at the expense of bein Sports obviously freaked the encrypted string. Ironically, the call for tenders issued by the NRL was interrupted Friday in anticipation of a court for interim measures concerning a dispute between Canal + and Al-Jazeera. It will not ultimately revived. And for good reason: the NRL has gotten what she hoped. Canal + had initially proposed € 66 million per season. The League has pulled 5 more!"

The € 335 million might be a typo as they base their € 71 million per season on the € 355 million total.

Last edited by Munchkin on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Yeah, I think the 100M was a 'projection' the LNR came up with. So 71M a season is still pretty damn good from their point of view (not so much from 'ours').

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:24 pm

Metal Tiger wrote:
TJ wrote:Seems to me another attempt by the RFU ( who generally have played a weak hand well) to find a way back in for the PRL teams.  I suspect the RFU are very unhappy at the prospect of no england teams in next years european cup but I would be very surprised if they get any significant further compromises for next year.

However to the 5N who runs the comp is not that important so long as the power remains with the unions is my reading of the situation.

Dunno what is really left to negotiate but to continue talking is good.

1. Actually the RFU are trying to get the French back to the table after they stormed out of the last meeting due to ghe refusal of the Rabo Unions to give up their monopoly on the governing body.

2. The French want the competition run by Fira not the Rabo Cabal.

3. RFU are pushing the 6 Nations committee as a compromise.

4. Nothing to do with getting the PRL back in.

1. The French are back in - read Lux's comments in WalesOnLine today. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/european-rugby-chief-makes-passionate-6503607

Lux wrote:“Significantly, it has now been agreed by five unions (France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales) a European club competition run by the current organisers, ERC, will take place next season featuring clubs from at least five countries.”

2. Not next year. Its up for discussion after that.
3. There is little difference between the Six Nations & ERC - they are both Union owned companies that manage competition. You do realise that the CEO of the Six Nations Co. is also the CEO of Celtic Rugby (Pro 12)  Smile 
4. The PRL have burnt their boats alright. No Heineken Cup for them next year.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:26 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Yeah, I think the 100M was a 'projection' the LNR came up with. So 71M a season is still pretty damn good from their point of view (not so much from 'ours').

Indeed. A serious amount of money for rugby union. Maybe SKY will match it for the Rabo  Very Happy  ....... I can dream .....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:29 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Yeah, I think the 100M was a 'projection' the LNR came up with. So 71M a season is still pretty damn good from their point of view (not so much from 'ours').

Is that for the Pro D2 as well (16 teams)?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Sin e, not sure. But that was what I was thinking since it's the LNR who cover both. But it seems to be for televising the t14 rather than d2 as well.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Bad news for both SH and NH rugby. Something must be done now but I suspect everyone will just sit back and let it all happen.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:22 am

A European cup under union control is what is going to happen next year. 5N have agreed to this. England can join or not as they wish. After that its all up for negotiation.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:48 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Bad news for both SH and NH rugby. Something must be done now but I suspect everyone will just sit back and let it all happen.

I'm not sure what can be done. I can't see the AP ever matching French money, let alone the Rabo or Super 15. Britain, Ireland and Italy could team up for a competition that could attract similar money? There's another thread on that idea. But the union owned teams and privately owned teams aren't exactly getting along very well.

It's gonna get much harder for the rest of the world to keep hold of their players. The French used to sign a lot of older players who's test careers were coming to an end. Recently they've been going for current internationals in their prime. And now they have even more money.

Maybe the other nations could go the New Zealand route and only select natively based players for their test teams. It would result in more players resisting the Top14 for sure. But not all. New Zealand produce world class players to replace any that leave. Can we?

It's difficult to see what can be done. Except just keep plugging away trying to produce more talent and attract more fans. The French are setting the bar for attracting cash, we have to raise our game.

By the way are there any multi billionaire Leinster supporters on 606v2 who just have to much money to know what to do with?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:40 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Sin e, not sure. But that was what I was thinking since it's the LNR who cover both. But it seems to be for televising the t14 rather than d2 as well.

Nope that's only T14. ProD2 gets broadcasted by eurosport. 70 mil per year is nice but not a huge investment for C+ to keep a decent amount of customers. They sell their subscription at 40€ per month while the competitor Bein is at 11€ (only sports) with no minimum duration. Without sports, canal + would die as you better use PPV or streaming for movies and series.

Looks like the LNR got bullied in the end. Bit of a shame for the viewers.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:35 am

whocares wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Sin e, not sure. But that was what I was thinking since it's the LNR who cover both. But it seems to be for televising the t14 rather than d2 as well.

Nope that's only T14. ProD2 gets broadcasted by eurosport. 70 mil per year is nice but not a huge investment for C+ to keep a decent amount of customers. They sell their subscription at 40€ per month while the competitor Bein is at 11€ (only sports) with no minimum duration. Without sports, canal + would die as you better use PPV or streaming for movies and series.

Looks like the LNR got bullied in the end. Bit of a shame for the viewers.

That makes more sense. I was looking at the numbers and if it was for all 30 teams it wasn't that great.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:52 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:   Maybe the other nations could go the New Zealand route and only select natively based players for their test teams.

Scotand and Wales wouldn't be able to raise a team  Shocked 

Feckless Rogue wrote: By the way are there any multi billionaire Leinster supporters on 606v2 who just have to much money to know what to do with?  

No problem in Ulster we have Rory  thumbsup

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:54 am

Pardon me for interrupting, but it seems to me (and I' sorry to make this point) that the paranational Rabo is a bit of a TV disaster.

Can anyone receive legal coverage of all games?

Here in England I certainly can't (I think) what with Sky Italia, The Irish coverage and dear old Auntie who insists on delivering in some sort of a Serbo-Croat derivative on the 'puter. It's a feikin' shambles.

Not exactly what you'd consider as an organised body - the Rabo - is it?

Just like the PRL, it stumbles over every hurdle.

Last edited by Portnoy's Complaint on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:00 am

I've only missed 1 Ulster game this year and that was not on TV anywhere.

All games watched through legal channels

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:10 am

geoff998rugby wrote:I've only missed 1 Ulster game this year and that was not on TV anywhere.

Not interested in the Italian derbies then geoff?

I'm asking if the Rabo has joined-up coverage.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:30 am

I wonder where BeIN will spread their largesse now?

Presumably there will be french-based Euro Cup games up for grabs next season?

Might they compete with Sky and BT for exclusive Euro Cup rights, selling on to B&I broadcasters?

Would they move into the English-speaking euro market to complement their US/Canada operation, broadcasting either on TV or t'internet?

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:31 am

No it doesn't. Because of the multinational nature of it each union arranges its own coverage.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 am

TJ wrote:No it doesn't.  Because of the multinational nature of it each union arranges its own coverage.

Hold the phone. "Because of the multinational nature of it each union arranges its own coverage"!!!! WTF have we been arguing about for FK how long? What was all this XXXX about 'controlling the revenue stream'? So it's ok for all the individual unions in the PRO12 to sell their own TV but not ok for England? Is that because England's a massive market and everyone else wants to makes sure they squeeze as much money out of it for their their own gains as possible? Why's that?

See, I know it wouldn't take me long.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:50 am

Hammer - the pro 12 was set up this way with the agreement of all unions. The HC was set up differently with the agreement of all unions. Thats the difference.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 am

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:I've only missed 1 Ulster game this year and that was not on TV anywhere.

Not interested in the Italian derbies then geoff?

I'm asking if the Rabo has joined-up coverage.

There is some joined up coverage but it doesn't cover every game.
Often a TV provider will have an agreement with the TV provider of the away team to show the game on their channel as well - that s how I watch the away games in Italy.
This in effect means I can see Ulster games in Wales and Scotland for example but cannot watcxh a Welsh team play a Scottish.

Also occassionally I can watch games in other areas - no problem watching the southern Irish games on RTE and TNAG, sometimes can watch ScrumV games in Wales but not always.
This can be different for differing TV provider - my mate can, through Virgin, watch all Welsh and Scottish televised games as well

I suspect far more Pro12 games are covered than Aviva games - most of which are not on the tele live anywhere.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:02 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
TJ wrote:No it doesn't.  Because of the multinational nature of it each union arranges its own coverage.

Hold the phone. "Because of the multinational nature of it each union arranges its own coverage"!!!! WTF have we been arguing about for FK how long? What was all this XXXX about 'controlling the revenue stream'? So it's ok for all the individual unions in the PRO12 to sell their own TV but not ok for England? Is that because England's a massive market and everyone else wants to makes sure they squeeze as much money out of it for their their own gains as possible? Why's that?

I agree but its the HEC who had it right and the Rabo which got it wrong. There needs to be a collective package for the whole league otherwise the teams from the better supported countries end up getting more than those from the less supported and the league becomes even more imbalanced and less competitive.

It also makes it less attractive to sponsors, who are sponsoring the tournament in its entirety.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:19 am

Rodders - I tend to agree and hope we get better TV coverage in the next deal.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:28 am

rodders wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

I agree but its the HEC who had it right and the Rabo which got it wrong. There needs to be a collective package for the whole league otherwise the teams from the better supported countries end up getting more than those from the less supported and the league becomes even more imbalanced and less competitive.

It also makes it less attractive to sponsors, who are sponsoring the tournament in its entirety.

But no-one is talking about money being kept by the sellers.  Why is collectively selling the rights important if the money is pooled? The only issue I can think about is that all the games wouldn't be on the same broadcaster.  That isn't a bad thing IMO.

All of the English games are available non-live (I'm glad the PRL kept that).

EDIT: Half of the Premiership games are on live, all are available not-live.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:24 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
rodders wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

But no-one is talking about money being kept by the sellers.  Why is collectively selling the rights important if the money is pooled? The only issue I can think about is that all the games wouldn't be on the same broadcaster.  That isn't a bad thing IMO.

All of the English games are available non-live (I'm glad the PRL kept that).

EDIT: Half of the Premiership games are on live, all are available not-live.

If fully participated European competitons take place at some point in the future I'd be keen for it to be on more than one broadcaster.  That should mean less Heineken matches not being televised (Exeter have had 3 of their pool fixtures ignored this year) and greater availability of Amlin games (all the more important if we see the suggested changes to the teams involved in that competition).

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:23 am

Munchkin wrote:

Indeed. A serious amount of money for rugby union. Maybe SKY will match it for the Rabo  Very Happy  ....... I can dream .....

Sadly you'll need to wake from that dream.

It's been reported that Sky are paying £5.5M ayear for their PRO12 coverage, with BBCwales/S4C paying £3.2M, BBC and the Irish and Scottish rights worth around £300K a year (that Irish+Scottish figure seems ridiculously small IMO)

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:34 am

Sorry boys, but this thread has reached the en of the line, can someone please open another one.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21