The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

V2 Magazine Needs You - End Of Year Awards (Shock Of The Year)

+12
John Bloody Wayne
88Chris05
AlexHuckerby
alanqlm
sparxz
hampo17
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Strongback
spencerclarke
bellchees
TopHat24/7
owen10ozzy
16 posters

Go down

V2 Magazine Needs You - End Of Year Awards (Shock Of The Year) Empty V2 Magazine Needs You - End Of Year Awards (Shock Of The Year)

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 13 Dec 2013, 11:08 am

Day 2 of the Awards Shortlist:

For those of you who didn't see yesterdays post, I am currently in the midst of doing our very own Boxing End Of Year Awards which will appear on the Journal, on the Website and in our soon to launch E-Magazine. Yesterday we had the 'Fight of The Year' thread....today is the day of the 'Shock Of The Year'....

So I'm looking for our forum members to suggest some of the moments they never saw happening in this calender year. Which fighter scored the biggest upset of 2013!

THIS IS NOT A VOTE YET: JUST A THREAD FOR EVERYONE TO SUGGEST CANDIDATES FOR THE SHORTLIST AND MAYBE SAY WHY IT SHOULD MAKE IT!

Feel free to submit more than one, at this moment in time it is all about getting as many candidates together for a shortlist to be made from!

Also if you haven't yet voted on the 'Fight Of The Year' Thread please please go and put down your suggestions on it.

Thanks to All!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

V2 Magazine Needs You - End Of Year Awards (Shock Of The Year) Empty Re: V2 Magazine Needs You - End Of Year Awards (Shock Of The Year)

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 13 Dec 2013, 12:06 pm

JMM's ko of Manny? Not quite a massive upset, but the manner of victory shocked a lot.

Bradley's UD of Manny? Many thought Manny would beat him comfortably, with Tim not having the power to keep Manny off. Chuck in 120/122 boxing journos/writers/commentators etc scoring it to Manny and the Bradley SD was both a shock and upset.

Shout for Vetyeka's upset of C_S's hero - Chris John??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

V2 Magazine Needs You - End Of Year Awards (Shock Of The Year) Empty Re: V2 Magazine Needs You - End Of Year Awards (Shock Of The Year)

Post by bellchees Fri 13 Dec 2013, 1:22 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:JMM's ko of Manny? Not quite a massive upset, but the manner of victory shocked a lot.

Bradley's UD of Manny? Many thought Manny would beat him comfortably, with Tim not having the power to keep Manny off. Chuck in 120/122 boxing journos/writers/commentators etc scoring it to Manny and the Bradley SD was both a shock and upset.

Manny vs Bradley was June last year, just missed this years awards by 6 months.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 13 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm

Judging by opinion on here before hand George Groves' efforts against Froch. Ended in controversial defeat but not many on the boards gave him a chance before hand.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 13 Dec 2013, 2:28 pm

bellchees wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:JMM's ko of Manny? Not quite a massive upset, but the manner of victory shocked a lot.

Manny vs Bradley was June last year, just missed this years awards by 6 months.

haha, jeesus, how time flies.... Whistle picard

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 13 Dec 2013, 2:53 pm

Gonzalez beating Mares

It was nearly Groves.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri 13 Dec 2013, 2:54 pm

David Price's back to back losses? Wouldn't say he was invincible looking before, but the manner in which he lost both times was certainly shocking.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 13 Dec 2013, 3:08 pm

Crolla vs Rees was a shock domestically.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Fri 13 Dec 2013, 5:21 pm

Matthews win over Coyle was a shock as Coyle was well ahead and in control when got caught.

Crolla beating Rees

The groves performance as mentioned above.

Towers brutally ko'd by brown

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Fri 13 Dec 2013, 5:21 pm

Matthews win over Coyle was a shock as Coyle was well ahead and in control when got caught.

Crolla beating Rees

The groves performance as mentioned above.

Towers brutally ko'd by brown

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 27 Dec 2013, 7:29 pm

Does anyone else have any nominations?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Fri 27 Dec 2013, 10:55 pm

Stevenson Ko'ing Dawson was a bit of a shock at the time.

Also Maidana v Broner this month was a big shock too.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 28 Dec 2013, 7:15 am

Broner Maidana for me.

And although I picked Groves to beat Froch, what shocked me was the performance and nearly sparking him in the 1st.

Stevenson Dawson was a massive shock too.

Gonzalez Vs Mares was a HUGE one for me, really thought Mares was starting to look special then like 30 seconds and it was all over.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 28 Dec 2013, 11:41 am

Either Martinez-Romero or Stevenson-Dawson, for me. Think I'd maybe just lean towards Martinez though, given that Dawson was coming in to his fight against Adonis on the back of that shellacking from Ward.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 28 Dec 2013, 12:58 pm

I wrote a fairly long response but because blackberrys are as user friendly as a dildo covered in razor wire it dissapeared.

Gayest thing to happen to me in a while. And I got fcked in the ass earlier today.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 28 Dec 2013, 4:01 pm

UK: Crolla vs Rees
US: Gonzalez vs Mares

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 29 Dec 2013, 3:04 pm

I really didn't think that Rees/Crolla was that much of an upset personally I thought it was a 50/50 fight...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 2:32 pm

I'm surprised Rigo vs Donaire hasn't been mentioned on this thread, a lot of people seem to be saying it was a big shock on the virtuoso thread.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 31 Dec 2013, 2:44 pm

Stevenson-Dawson for me.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 31 Dec 2013, 2:44 pm

Gonzalez over Mares was the biggest upset this year.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 31 Dec 2013, 2:46 pm

hazharrison wrote:Gonzalez over Mares was the biggest upset this year.

Oh yeah. Forgot that one. That's my choice.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 2:46 pm

hampo171 wrote:I'm surprised Rigo vs Donaire hasn't been mentioned on this thread, a lot of people seem to be saying it was a big shock on the virtuoso thread.

You're right..........The fact that Rigo has shown he's a brilliant operator doesn't mean the upset was any less shocking..........

Ali-Liston is still a massive upset regardless of what happened after.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 31 Dec 2013, 2:52 pm

I'd go Thompson over Price second.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 2:54 pm

Price's career is a train wreck isn't it...........Maybe we should have "V2 who's stock has dropped the most in a year thread".......

Price would win hands down.........

I think he should retire............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 2:56 pm

Do you not think Hayes dropped more Truss? Pulled out of 3 fights blaming injuries, he seems to have turned a lot of people against him this year.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 2:59 pm

Haye had a body of work behind him Hampo............

Thompson was in his 40s and If one saw how weak the first knockout looked..........Gassing after two rounds in the second looked dreadful.......

See where you are coming from.........But not for me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Dec 2013, 3:07 pm

Shock of the year...people paying to watch James Toney in Prizefighter expecting him to do something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down