The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations Andy Murray - Winner of Sports Personality of the Year 2013

+10
JubbaIsle
erictheblueuk
djlovesyou
R!skysports
Born Slippy
lydian
slashermcguirk
sportslover
Danny_1982
CaledonianCraig
14 posters

Go down

Congratulations Andy Murray - Winner of Sports Personality of the Year 2013 Empty Congratulations Andy Murray - Winner of Sports Personality of the Year 2013

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:33 am

Congratulations Andy Murray on winning the coveted title of BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013. Of course it is much deserved considering his recent achievements and is another feather in his cap. It is nice as it would seem that he has won over a number of haters as this contest is a public opinion based vote. Well done again Andy and I hope your fight to get back to full fitness is going well.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Congratulations Andy Murray - Winner of Sports Personality of the Year 2013 Empty Re: Congratulations Andy Murray - Winner of Sports Personality of the Year 2013

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:09 am

How the public voted:

Andy Murray 401,470
Leigh Halfpenny 65,913
AP McCoy 57,854

That is some margin. He took 56% of all votes cast, a record for the event by a mile. Nice to see him genuinely touched by the award too.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Congratulations Andy Murray - Winner of Sports Personality of the Year 2013 Empty Re: Congratulations Andy Murray - Winner of Sports Personality of the Year 2013

Post by sportslover Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:29 am

Was it really ever in doubt who would win it!, considering he took more votes than the other nine candidates collectively.
Another one for the trophy cabinet and I'm sure he is pleased to have won it.
We'll done Andy thumbsup

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 16 Dec 2013, 4:55 pm

Congrats to Andy Murray, thoroughly deserved it must be said. Despite never being a fan, I have a huge amount of respect for the guy. He has clearly put in some amount of work over the years to compete against some of the greatest players to have every played the game.

I can definitely see him winning another slam or two in his career. The key like the rest of the elite players will be avoiding injury. I still feel if he wants to be remembered among the upper echelons of great tennis champions he needs to start making more inroads on clay. He has proven to be an excellent hard court / grass player.

Time will tell i suppose. I guess you could argue the likes of sampras, edberg and becker never made huge inroads on clay but they won so many other slams between them. Big year or two coming for Murray, these next 2 years could say a lot about his lasting legacy in the game.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:21 pm

It's sports achievement, not personality. I can think of dozens of sports guys with more personality than Murray. The show, like X Factor, has outlived it's interest & relevance.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:24 pm

All the show is is a celebration of sporting success. I think it's harsh to compare it to drivel like X - factor. Murray comes across as a normal guy who is relatively humble and self - effacing. Whilst I'm sure there are other sportsmen who have more gift of the gab personally I think it is a good thing to see someone like Murray being recognised for his achievements. His personality, low opinion though you may have of it, has won a lot of people over in the last year or so.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 18 Dec 2013, 11:17 am

Congrats

While never really in doubt, it is good to see the public are finally on his side.

he is such a good role model - does not drink, works hard and even misses Christmas so he can get better.

Fingers crossed the surgery worked and he can continue to improve - if so a couple more slams are certainly within his sights.

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 18 Dec 2013, 6:23 pm

lydian wrote:It's sports achievement, not personality. I can think of dozens of sports guys with more personality than Murray. The show, like X Factor, has outlived it's interest & relevance.

The word 'personality' in the title of the award is just a more elegant way of saying 'sportsperson' or 'sportsman/woman' of the year. It is not, and has never been meant to be a measure of a person's 'personality'.

I reckon they should change it only because so many people seem completely confused by the use of the word.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Thu 19 Dec 2013, 4:50 pm

I feel a bit sorry for Chris Froome, I mean winning the TDF is one of the biggest achievements in sport yet he got almost completely ignored.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Fri 20 Dec 2013, 10:28 pm

Persnickety Picky Pikes Poke Personality Peculiarity.

Has it really come to this, hate the winner so berate the event ?

Back in the days when Personality meant something, as in a sports person of great achievement or achievements who stood out due to his talent and magnetism on screen when just being on screen was a new and exciting thing for viewers to see and hear their voices and listen first hand to their experiences, Personality actually meant something.

But in today's society with everyone craving their 5 mins of fame, its worn off a tad, lost a bit of its shine and means something completely different now.

So they've kept the title, its no big deal, we all know deep down the foundation of its inception and the meaning if its purpose.

Murray is a sports personality, end of. Whether you agree with the public vote or not is irrelevant, as an overwhelming landslide of opinion voted him the sportsmen who had the brightest charisma due to his amazing Wimbledon win.

Justly won IMO.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 29 Dec 2013, 12:47 pm

If anyone hasn't seen, Andy just did a Q&A on Twitter. He's a funny guy! Personal highlights were:

Q: did you think you'd win SPOTY?
A: I never thought I'd win anything with personality in the title.

Q: What is the most boring thing in tennis?
A: My voice

Q: How close are you and Djokovic?
A: He's in Dubai and I'm in Doha, so about 450 km.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by MurrayMad Sun 29 Dec 2013, 3:34 pm

Having recently joined 606v2 I am overwhelmed with the amout on hste Andy recieves. I am pleased to have found a dicusdion which is, for once, giving Murray the credit he deserves. I hope 2014 sees Murray fighting fit and able to show the haters what he can really do. He's won Wimbledon, the US Open and now the Sports Personality of the Year- Australian Open here we come.

MurrayMad

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 29 Dec 2013, 3:40 pm

Welcome to the forum MurrayMad. There's also a lot of love for Andy amongst some long-term posters/fans, who will hopefully post more once the season gets underway.
My advice is to ignore some of the more "out there" theories about Murray that some posters spend their time coming up with Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 29 Dec 2013, 3:55 pm

Who is anti murray here?
Just hawkeye right?
Murraymad just avoid her then Smile

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down