The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership Round Eleven

+17
Ozzy3213
Hound of Harrow
21st Century Schizoid Man
Scoped
nathan
HammerofThunor
Portnoy's Complaint
yappysnap
little_badger
Poorfour
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
Driver
ChequeredJersey
HongKongCherry
Toast
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Aviva Premiership Round Eleven Empty Aviva Premiership Round Eleven

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 27 Dec 2013, 12:01 pm

Newcastle v London Wasps
Leicester v Sale
Northampton v Bath
Worcester v Saracens
Harlequins v Exeter
London Irish v Gloucester

Home wins all round? Wasps and Sarries could take handy away points? A crowd of c.80k for Exe's visit to Twickers? 150 Quins fans, 7k Munster fans & the rest supporting everyone's second favourite team?!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Round Eleven Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Round Eleven

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 27 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm

CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE HARLEQUINS

15 Luke Arscott
14 Jack Nowell
13 Ian Whitten
12 Jason Shoemark
11 Tom James
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Haydn Thomas
1 Ben Moon
2 Jack Yeandle
3 Hoani Tui
4 Dean Mumm (capt)
5 Damian Welch
6 Tom Johnson
7 Ben White
8 Dave Ewers

16 Chris Whitehead
17 Brett Sturgess
18 Alex Brown
19 James Hanks
20 Kai Horstmann
21 Will Chudley
22 Henry Slade
23 Fetu’u Vainikolo

Tom Johnson recovers from his knock he picked up against Toulon, so displaces Kai Horstmann who drops to the bench in favour of Don Armand; Sam Hill drops out altogether as Jason Shoemark is preferred for the visit to HQ

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Toast Fri 27 Dec 2013, 12:04 pm

Ha ha - Quins to flop again at the Big Game!

Toast

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 27 Dec 2013, 12:05 pm

Home wins all round?! That's some punt with Wuss playing Sarries at Sixways! If both sides play as they did last weekend then Sarries will win by a cricket score.

I'm also rather hopeful there may be another away win. I'm pretty sure for the first time this season Glaws have announced the same side. Our pack is starting to improve and it hopefully coincides with Irish's pack declining. Another must win game for Glaws

Glaws:
Rob Cook; Charlie Sharples, Henry Trinder, Mike Tindall, Jonny May; Billy Twelvetrees (capt), Jimmy Cowan; Nick Wood, Darren Dawidiuk, Sila Puafisi; Elliott Stooke, James Hudson; Matt Cox, Matt Kvesic, Ben Morgan

Replacements:

Huia Edmonds, Yann Thomas, Shaun Knight, Will James, Gareth Evans, Dan Robson, Freddie Burns, Martyn Thomas
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Toast Fri 27 Dec 2013, 12:06 pm

Irish are terrible - you will smash them

Toast

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 27 Dec 2013, 12:09 pm

Toast wrote:Irish are terrible - you will smash them

As it is the season of goodwill, you'll find Glaws will be very generous and will be equally terrible! I would love a repeat of last year's game, but I fear another turgid affair like last week.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Toast Fri 27 Dec 2013, 12:10 pm

15. Mike Brown
14. Charlie Walker
13. Matt Hopper
12. Tom Casson
11. Sam Smith
10. Nick Evans
9. Danny Care

1. Joe Marler
2. Dave Ward
3. Will Collier
4. Charlie Matthews
5. George Robson
6. Luke Wallace
7. Chris Robshaw (C)
8. Nick Easter

16. Max Crumpton
17. Mark Lambert
18. Paul Doran Jones
19. Nick Kennedy
20. Tom Guest
21. Karl Dickson
22. Ben Botica
23. Ollie Lindsay-Hague

Toast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:03 pm

Wasps by 3
Sale by 1
Northampton by 5 (no TBP)
Saracens by 22 (TBP)
Quins by 4 (no TBP)
London Irish by 6 (no TBP)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:10 pm

I think the Falcons might ruffle a few feathers this weekend. 

We're Wasps big boagey team. Gone for a big front 5 and a midfield with 2 wrecking alls in it.

Newcastle Falcons: 15 Alex Tait, 14 Noah Cato, 13 Jamie Helleur, 12 James Fitzpatrick, 11 Ryan Shortland, 10 Phil Godman, 9 Warren Fury, 1 Rob Vickers, 2 Scott Lawson, 3 Kieran Brookes, 4 Carlo del Fava, 5 Fraser McKenzie, 6 Richard Mayhew, 7 Will Welch (c), 8 Ally Hogg
Replacements: 16 George McGuigan, 17 Franck Montanella, 18 Oliver Tomaszczyk, 19 Sean Tomes, 20 Mark Wilson, 21 Chris Pilgrim, 22 Rory Clegg, 23 Danny Barnes
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:31 pm

Shame London Tiger is no longer here with his great writeups.  I miss those because his analysis and comments were always inciteful and enjoyable.  He helped frame out my thoughts for the upcoming weekend.  

So, unaided, and with the wind blowing at 100mph, here goes:

Newcastle v London Wasps - The holiday wind is blowing notions of a home win.  Wasps are mediocre and Newcastle are trying to get there.  Not sure this is going to be a try-fest, but I bet Newcastle get over the line at least twice.  Newcastle to win a fairly close one. let's say by 5.

Leicester v Sale - Story lines all over the place.  Will all the discussion still be focused on the Cipriani renaissance, even though he is not in the match day XXII?  So then will the focus be on Owen Williams starting with Lamb on the bench?  Will Lamb get on with a chance to turn a Tigers home win into a loss?  How good is Sale?  Looks like a pretty solid Tigers team.  I am going for the home team by 10+.

Northampton v Bath - A match between two good teams and its time to see how good.  This looks like a pretty good Northampton team.  George Pisi is back at Outside Centre with North back on the wing.  Manoa is back at Number 8 where he went so well in the second Leinster game.  Fotuali'i starts at scrum half.  Bath is making only one change from the team which beat Quins last weekend, bringing in ex-Saint Martin Roberts at scrum half.  Shame George North and Banahan are on the left wing, would have been fun to watch the two slabs of beef going at each other.   Saints will go straight at George Ford to see if he can stop them or see if they can reduce Bath to 14 man defence (well, they go straight ahead most of the time anyway).  Saints were flat last weekend against Wasps, and Bath slept through a home win against Quins.  Saints will not wake up to the level of their second Leinster match, but should be enough to beat a good Bath team.  I am biased but will go Saints by 7+.

Worcester v Saracens - Hmmmm.  What to say?  Well, I am glad this is not on BT.  Sarries looked real good against Leicester last weekend.  Worcester looked........well......ummm.........they have nice jerseys.  Worcester will keep it close in the first half at home, but Sarries will win by 6,922,408 exactly.    

Harlequins v Exeter - Have to worry a bit for Quins if they cannot win in the Big Game at HQ.  Not because Exe are poor, they certainly are not that.  But Harlequins are floundering a bit and need a big win against a good solid side to re-establish themselves.  On the other hand, Exe appear a bit up and down and also need a big win to catapult the second half of their season.  Both teams have 6 wins and 4 losses.  On paper it should be fairly even.  Exe are improving and are no longer a good pack and some feisty backs, they appear to be playing better from 1 -15.  On paper Quins should be better than their record but seem hit with a severe case of the doldrums.   Rugby need matches like this at HQ.  Hopefully Quins can snap out of it and Exe have a great game.  I pick the pseudo-home team by 3.  Wouldn't be surprised by an Exe win either.  

London Irish v Gloucester - "The Battle To Keep Worcester Company"
Why are BT televising this match?  Will anyone outside of Reading and Gloucester watch?  Will anyone inside Reading or Gloucester watch?     If London Irish win, then that drives some of the final nails in the Worcester coffin.  If Gloucester win, things remain interesting for Worcester.  Should be a wild, terrific affaire.  Then I will wake up.  I cannot predict a winner.  So I will pick the home team by 0.001.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:34 pm

Are we in the Doldrums? We started the season pretty awfully. We are now 4th and I refute that we have been floundering in recent weeks, we just couldn't outmuscle Bath in Bath, which nobody else has managed either...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Toast Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:42 pm

Yep, Quins are in the doldrums. Only look good against weak opposition. Will be mid table at best this season.

Toast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:44 pm

Thanks Toast, but I already knew your opinion on that matter. Luckily according to you, pretty much every team in the universe is absolutely terrible so we will get to play against lots of weak sides and will still do fine. Funnily teams are only weak after we have beaten them...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:46 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Are we in the Doldrums? We started the season pretty awfully. We are now 4th and I refute that we have been floundering in recent weeks, we just couldn't outmuscle Bath in Bath, which nobody else has managed either...
I think you are in a bit of the doldrums, at least by the standards Quins have established for themselves.  I think in past seasons you would have found a way past that Bath team despite their pack.  Seems something is missing, but you are closer to them than I, sitting up here in the remote midlands!  

I just looked at your match results for the season, and you're right it does look like Quins are playing better than I thought (apologies there).  But from the matches I have watched they seemed in a funk, or at least not able to really lock it into high gear, again by their standards.  So let's remove the doldrums and replace with inconsistent?   Or not yet hitting on all cylinders?  Something like that?  

And by the way, I absolutely love the Big Game.  Great for Rugby.  I would attend, but I have an appointment in Northampton at 3:00 tomorrow afternoon.  Good luck...........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:49 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Funnily teams are only weak after we have beaten them...
Good teams do that to other teams..............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:50 pm

Must be terrible for Quins, one held up maul away from a losing bonus point away at the REC. Quick call for COS's head.

Still no Flood, hope that glute pull isn't as bad as it seems. Based on the incompetence of Lamb last weekend and the inexperience of Williams we'll need him back soon, we can't beat a side of Ulster's class without him at the helm. A good side otherwise and we should control the game up front with the size of our pack and strength of our set piece.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:54 pm

People are calling for O'Shea to be fired? You're kidding?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri 27 Dec 2013, 1:57 pm

I'd move COS into more of a backroom role tbh , Need a bit of 'refreshment' on the playing front.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Toast Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:03 pm

Yep. Cos is utterly clueless.

Toast

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:07 pm

I was joking Doc, I can't see why anyone would want COS removing. He's doing a good job at Quins at a difficult time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:08 pm

People will always call for the DoR's head. Whether you give them any credence whatsoever is entirely up to you.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:11 pm

To me, one of the aspects of a good coach/manager is how they deal with their team being off form. Their play seemed to somehow give me the impression of being worse than their record indicates. It will be interesting to see how O'Shea gets on for the rest of the season. I have liked him as a coach. Will be a good challenge.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:13 pm

By the way, Quins are still in the midst of a pretty severe injury crisis. 3 of 4 hookers are long-term injured, as are 2 of our 4 centres, we have 5 or 6 other players out injured and 2 senior players are only just back from injuries that have kept them out for half the season.

All things considered, I think we're doing OK. Would have liked to see a closer game against Bath (though I gather that Guest's disallowed try looked good on the replay) and we would be better positioned if we had has the focus we've shown since the Clermont game in the early part of the season.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:15 pm

God forbid he is removed but moved into a head of youth role.

Runs the team in the LV cup whilst still being involved in the coaching side of things.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Toast Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:15 pm

Quins are one dimensional and predictable. That's down to that errand boy of a DOR.

Toast

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:18 pm

I'm pretty sure Nick Evans has a impact on Quins style of play as much as COS does.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:20 pm

I think it is worth noting that nobody has beaten Bath at home yet
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Toast Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:30 pm

more excuses

Toast

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:48 pm

Toast wrote:more excuses
Toast, baby. Why you so down on Harlequins? That's a lot of negative energy for two days post-Christmas.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:51 pm

Dr_G, He 'loaned' his season ticket to a Munster fan last season and never got it back - still sulking OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 27 Dec 2013, 2:59 pm

Ah, he sinned!  And is rife with guilt?  
If he would visit the temple of Franklin's Gardens tomorrow afternoon I know a publican who could offer absolution.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Dec 2013, 5:51 pm

The Saints Bath match ups should be very interesting. Hartley / Webber, Lawes / Attwood will be a good test for the Bath players, having points to prove.

The back rows of Clark, Wood & Manoa against Garvey, Louw & Fearns should decide the game.

Looking forward to it and glad it is not at the Rec - being as it is currently underwater.

Back to top Go down

Post by little_badger Sat 28 Dec 2013, 10:58 am

Caught Wasps v Falcons last night, Ashley Johnson's a handful, Phil Godman is pretty bad and Joe Launchbury is excellent every time I watch him play.

Off to Twickers for a pint and a very expensive pasty!

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sat 28 Dec 2013, 11:34 am

We are in dire need of a fly half.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 28 Dec 2013, 12:33 pm

Looks like a great day in Twickenham, weather is cold and crisp but dry. Surface should be perfect for running rugby.

COYQ's!!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Toast Sat 28 Dec 2013, 12:49 pm

Will suit Exeter perfectly. Quins will get hammered up front and spend most of the game trying to run the ball out of thier own half. Ha ha

Toast

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 28 Dec 2013, 1:43 pm

Similar conditions up here in Leicester. Sunny, crisp day, wind is manageable and the ground is spongey but firm enough for running rugby. Bloody cold though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sat 28 Dec 2013, 3:30 pm

Current scores (courtesy ESPN)
Aviva Premiership
Northampton Saints 0 - 13 Bath Rugby 1st half
Worcester Warriors 3 - 17 Saracens 1st half
Harlequins v Exeter Chiefs 16:00 local, 16:00 GMT
RaboDirect PRO12
Benetton Treviso 17 - 15 Zebre 2nd half
Leinster v Ulster 18:45 local, 18:45 GMT

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 28 Dec 2013, 3:46 pm

Saints fighting back 14-13 apparently

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 28 Dec 2013, 3:48 pm

Sarries got the quickest TBP in the premiership. Not sure if ever or just this season.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sat 28 Dec 2013, 3:48 pm

Leicester Tigers 20 - 3 Sale Sharks (1st)
Northampton Saints 14 - 13 Bath Rugby (1st)
Worcester Warriors 8 - 26 Saracens (1st) (TBP)
Harlequins v Exeter Chiefs at Twickenham
(16:00 local, 16:00 GMT)
Benetton Treviso 17 - 15 Zebre (2nd)
Leinster v Ulster at Dublin
(18:45 local, 18:45 GMT)

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sat 28 Dec 2013, 3:51 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Sarries got the quickest TBP in the premiership. Not sure if ever or just this season.
28 mins apparently HoT.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sat 28 Dec 2013, 4:04 pm

Leicester Tigers 20 - 6 Sale Sharks (HT)
Northampton Saints 21 - 13 Bath Rugby (HT)
Worcester Warriors 8 - 26 Saracens (HT)
Harlequins 0 - 0 Exeter Chiefs (1st)
Benetton Treviso 20 - 15 Zebre (FT)

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 28 Dec 2013, 4:11 pm

Really don't like Dawson as a commentator.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sat 28 Dec 2013, 4:21 pm

I'm listening to (one eyed(?)) R Leicester

Leicester Tigers 23 - 13 Sale Sharks (2nd)
Northampton Saints 28 - 13 Bath Rugby (2nd)
Worcester Warriors 8 - 26 Saracens (2nd)
Harlequins 7 - 3 Exeter Chiefs (1st)
Benetton Treviso 20 - 15 Zebre (FT)

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 28 Dec 2013, 4:24 pm

Bowden of injured... I shouldn't be shocked really.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 28 Dec 2013, 4:28 pm

What a come back from Saints

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Toast Sat 28 Dec 2013, 4:29 pm

Rubbish from Quins.

Toast

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 28 Dec 2013, 4:30 pm

Looks like sale are coming back too.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoped Sat 28 Dec 2013, 4:41 pm

Doyle once again shows the calibre needed of a Premieeship ref. What an awful yellow card. Pathetic

Scoped

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next