The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Happy New Year!: Notes from the Ballwasher

+14
MontysMerkin
hend085
pedro
John Cregan
McLaren
sirbenson
twoeightnine
Davie
super_realist
incontinentia
BlueCoverman
Shotrock
GPB
kwinigolfer
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Happy New Year!: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: Happy New Year!: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 01 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).'Ere we go again; seems like only yesterday that the first six events of the 2013/2014 PGA Tour season were in the book and Christmas seemed so far away. But here we are, with the "Hyundai Tournament of Champions" teeing off on Friday morning, with the final round scheduled for Monday. (Back to a normal Thursday thru Sunday routine at Waialae next week for the Sony Open.)

2).The past few weeks over here have been consumed with golf media picking their ten/twenty/thirty best of the year, either this one or last, coincidentally or not all finding ways to put Tiger Woods's name in their headlines. Golf Channel revealed breathlessly that Tiger featured in seven of their top ten stories of 2013 - which just goes to show they don't give a monkey's about Majors.

3).And most of the rest of the ink, cyber or otherwise, has been devoted to "What's wrong with Rory? and that won't last" plus the usual anti-Sergio bandwagon, even the AP's Doug Ferguson piling on with conclusions that Padraig Harrington thinks Sergio's a pr1ck ('course he does); no mention of what others are beginning to think about St.Padraig of course.

4).So, let's start with Tiger. Happy Birthday, 38 a few days ago, and Golf Channel reminding us that only Hogan and Nicklaus have won four Majors after turning 38.

5).But a far more significant milestone will be marked on Sunday as Miguel-Angel Jimenez turns FIFTY!!!!! No word of immediate plans for The Mechanic but surely Rioja, Cigars, Ferraris and the Volvo Golf Champions will be on his radar - snuggled in behind Ryder Cup qualification no doubt? Despite his win in Hongkers a few weeks ago, he's still outside the qualification places, currently held by:
~European points: Poulter, Bjorn, Dubuisson, Stenson.
~World points: Garcia, Donaldson, Rose, McIlroy and Gonzo.

6).And the American top nine are:
Mickelson, Dufner, DJohnson, Moore, English, Simpson, Walker, Kirk, Furyk.

Three Captain's Choices in each case.

7).Last year's busman's holiday to Kapalua was almost blown away, Dustin Johnson winning the trophy, and Paulina, with the best score over 54 holes played in about 36 hours.
Five star attractions are missing this year, Rose, Mickelson, Woods, Stenson and McDowell, but there's a decent field nonetheless, led by Adam Scott. 26 of the 30-strong field are Americans, Sang-Moon Bae, Jonas Blixt and Martin Laird being the only other "overseas" players with a tee-time.

8).Three players that I'll be watching, for this week and especially this season, are Dustin, Bill Haas and Harris English.
Will Johnson, who won here last January, take the chip-on-his-shoulder from not making the Presidents Cup Team and propel himself to this year's Ryder Cup Team? He certainly took the WGC-HSBC Champpions in his stride.
And what about Bill Haas? Not the most consistent of players but a very impressive ball-striker on his day who looks to have the game for Kapalua and the ambition for a bump up to the elite level of American golf.
Then there's Harris English, twice a winner last year - he won't win this week but has the game to turn his consistency in to a Ryder Cup spot and at least one more win. Seems at home with the frat-boy crowd making names for themselves on the PGA Tour, but what a miserable sod he looks on the course.
'Course, I'll be watching for Martin Laird because I always do, but in his two visits to Kapalua he has a 4th and 2nd place finish. Ten knicker each way please Guv.

9).It seems the WGC-Accenture MatchPlay will have to do without some of its leading qualifiers; Woods could be otherwise engaged in a Sochi hotel suite, Mickelson usually avoids it, Scott has said he won't play and Justin Rose has flashed the orange traffic light.
Talking of Rose, it seems that Golf took a backseat in the New Year's Honours List, no gongs apparently to be had by anyone, least of all recognition for Justin's win at Merion. No Dame Laura, no Sir Tone. Shameful really.

10).And let's bid a final goodbye to four great golfing stalwarts who signed their scorecards in 2013 for the last time: Miller Barber, Bernard Hunt, Dave Thomas and Ken Venturi.
They will be replaced by four shining lights in 2014.
No guessing (yet) who they may be, but hope all our favourite golfers enjoy a Happy and Healthy New Year, and a Ryder Cup win for Europe.
OK? Thanks.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Happy New Year!: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Happy New Year!: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Sat 04 Jan 2014, 5:19 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Southampton beat Burnley and Palace won at West Brom.
Of course the Saints and Eagles won.

Lots of birds and eagles out there early doors.

The New Orleans Saints are playing the Philadelphia Eagles this evening.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Happy New Year!: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Happy New Year!: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Shotrock Sat 04 Jan 2014, 8:11 pm

Leaderboard looking like a Minneapolis phone book ... lots of Johnsons.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 04 Jan 2014, 9:27 pm

GPB,
I think you left your sense of humour in Franklin County . . . . . .
These teams were around before the NOS and PE were invented.

Too bad Dustin was suffering from his sore neck on Friday - thank his lord that Paulina was on hand to profer the magic touch.

Hope he wins again.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 04 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm

No living in the past for these Eagles ... they better get it going or season over!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 04 Jan 2014, 10:54 pm

Last time I was at an Philadelphia Eagles game, Harold Carmichael had his 127-game receiving streak broken! That was certainly in the past!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:52 pm

Happy 50th Birthday to TMIMITW, Miguel Angel Jimenez.

I might even tune into some Geezer events if Jimenez decided to play the Champions Tour.

But I suspect, Jimenez is in his comfort zone playing the EuroTour.

Other than a couple events, the Champions Tour and EuroTour prize structure is comparable and Jimenez should be more competitive against Bernhard and company than the flat bellies.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 05 Jan 2014, 1:27 pm

M-A J isn't exempt for the Champions Tour - think his first priority is the Ryder Cup and would think he'd be a solid choice on current form.
Imagine Spain's wine industry will lavish some of their finest Rioja on his celebration. On his way to South Africa later.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 05 Jan 2014, 6:04 pm

-7 after 8 holes for Brian Gay - that's "golfing your ball" as some commentators are often wont to say.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Jan 2014, 9:57 am

Lots in the US media this week about how tight competition will be for American Ryder Cup qualification.

Big day therefore for Dustin Johnson and Webbgod Simpson (he looks weird with his choirboy short-back-and-sides look) today as both strive for their second 2013/2014 win in the 7th week of the season.

But what about Jordan Spieth? Hitting it farther than ever and tied for the lead on a course that's notoriously tricky for first-timers.

I'm not sure whether this is strength in depth, as England's Ashes bowling attack was cracked up to be. Or mediocrity in depth as that very same bowling attack proved to be.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 06 Jan 2014, 12:08 pm

I think the US Ryder Cup qualification is going highly competitive this year.

Tiger is 15th in the standings and could be as low as 25th going when he makes his first start at Torrey Pines.  

Almost guaranteed that at least three players are going to pass him (Kuch, Sneds, Zach) this week. Spieth too if he wins. 

If he lays an egg at TP, he could be well close to 40th if he doesn't reappear until Honda.

IMO, Its going to take at least 4500 points to make the team on merit and no one is close to clinching a spot

Going into 2014, joining Tiger well outside the RC top 9 are Sneds, Kuch, Zach, Mahan, Strick, Mahan, Watson, Fowler, and Bradley.  Players that have been on the RC team in the last two events. 

I can see a scenario where any of the top 9 could make the team on merit (Phil Mickelson, Jason Dufner, Dustin Johnson, Ryan Moore, Harris English, Webb Simpson, Jimmy Walker, Chris Kirk, Jim Furyk).  IMO, At least 5 of these players are going to make the top 9  (PM, JD, DJ, WS with the best chance plus one other)

I think it will be fun to see the standings jump around all year and seeing players who are outside the top 9 react and possibly add tournaments to their schedule.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Jan 2014, 12:15 pm

Given how atrocious 9C's RC record is, second only to Phil I think for rubbishness, I wouldn't be surprised to see him skip it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm

Good point s_r,
I'd reckon Woods would play if he qualifies but can't see him being a Captain's Choice. Would think Watson would opt for someone who actually went out of his way to accumulate enough points to qualify?

Having said all of which, you'd have to think he's odds on to be in the top nine . . . . . . but a niggling injury and you never know.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Jan 2014, 12:49 pm

Has a player who has qualified in the past ever declined?

I can't see Baldy not qualifying, but it clearly isn't his cup of tea, so could he turn it down potentially, especially as Watson has criticised him for being a bell end in the past.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Jan 2014, 1:13 pm

super_,
Don't know the exact details but Weiskopf certainly declined the place he'd qualified for, perhaps more than once, and there's a niggling feeling that Miller and Nicklaus did the same.
Don't know that anyone has declined since it became a Europe Team rather than GB&I, would guess certainly not.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 06 Jan 2014, 1:22 pm

FWIW: Woods was a Captains pick in 2010. And a Captains pick for the Prez Cup in 2011.

Other than being injured, I don't think anyone has skipped the Ryder Cup in the last 30 years.  Tom Watson skipped the 1979 matches because his wife was due to give birth.  Weiskopf famously skipped one RC in the mid 70's to go hunting.

Woods made the team in 2008, but was out due to injury.

IMO:  Woods will definitely accept a Captains pick if he does not make the 2014 team.

Main Reason: NIKE wants him to be on the team

Secondary Reason.  Entitlement: Like many people who can have 'nearly' everything they want, they only want what they don't have.  Entitlement is what caused the scandal 4 years ago.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 06 Jan 2014, 1:37 pm

Woods individual record in RC is worse than PM's as a percentage. ( Ties counting as a half a win and half a loss)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Jan 2014, 4:27 pm

So given 9C's abyssmal record, do you think Nike want to see their cash cow stink the place out again?, mind you I suppose the Ryder Cup is the best place for him to do that as it's not like he'll be emblazoned with swooshes given the team uniform, So perhaps they won't mind that if he continues to be America's worst player.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 06 Jan 2014, 5:03 pm

Super - You are missing -- pretty significantly -- an understanding of the power of endorsement. Tiger could not win another tournament for 3 years (unlikely), and continue to play in the once every 2 year exhibition event known as the Ryder Cup, and his brand would be just as powerful (or nearly) to the target market Nike is pursuing. Tiger plays, they put him on TV. Nike wins.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Jan 2014, 5:18 pm

Meanwhile, a very strong leaderboard at Kapalua with 20 golfers within 5 shots of the lead as the final pair plays the second hole.

What a win this would be for Spieth if he pulls it off.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Mon 06 Jan 2014, 5:39 pm

Fantastic leaderboard!!

Remember when people were questioning American golf a few years back haha!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Jan 2014, 5:56 pm

Shotrock wrote:Super - You are missing -- pretty significantly -- an understanding of the power of endorsement.  Tiger could not win another tournament for 3 years (unlikely), and continue to play in the once every 2 year exhibition event known as the Ryder Cup, and his brand would be just as powerful (or nearly) to the target market Nike is pursuing. Tiger plays, they put him on TV. Nike wins.

He won't be endorsing Nike in the Ryder Cup though, he'll be wearing something even uglier like a star and spangled banner shirt instead or a shirt with leather tassles or whatever the "stylist" puts the team in.
Unless they tattoo a swoosh on his massive forehead they won't be getting anything other than the fact that he's associated with the brand of Nike which is already on decline in golf.

"Use Nike gear and you too can play as badly as baldy"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Mon 06 Jan 2014, 7:36 pm

Go on Dufner!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 06 Jan 2014, 9:47 pm

Seeing Martin lairds name on the leaderboard reminded me he actually won on the PGA tour last season. Who knew.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm

How quickly you forget about your fellow Scot, Mac.
But I know you'll never forget Tiger Woods and I for one am pleased to see he's confirmed he'll be playing at San Diego at the end of the month. It'll be good to see him back.
Big year for him and I wonder if he'll get out of his habit of peaking at his favourite courses and actually prepare properly for the Majors.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 07 Jan 2014, 12:57 am

Not a case of forgetting about Laird, rather it is a case of loosing site of his win (and I guess is T5 at the players) in 2013 in what was otherwise an abysmal year.

Surely all golf fans are happy to see Tiger start his season?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Jan 2014, 3:50 am

McLaren wrote:Not a case of forgetting about Laird, rather it is a case of loosing site of his win (and I guess is T5 at the players) in 2013 in what was otherwise an abysmal year.

Surely all golf fans are happy to see Tiger start his season?

I'd be happy to see him through a cross hair from a grassy knoll Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Jan 2014, 9:45 am

No Lindsey Vonn for Sochi so that should make Tont's schedule a little less ambiguous.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 07 Jan 2014, 10:13 am

Much more important for those that never won (never will?) a major to more "properly" prepare. Better send some of your insightful advice to Lukey and Sergio. Remember, they are your 0-fer guys, Kwin!

My prediction - if Tiger does not win a major this year, I won't be surprised if he never wins one again.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Jan 2014, 11:10 am

Sr,
Luke and Sergio have the same number as Tiger over the past few years.
I was just repeating Hank Haney's observation that Woods is, shall we say, somewhat cavalier in his preparation for Majors at courses/set-ups he is less familiar with. He surely got Merion and Oak Hill all wrong.
Which is certainly not to say others fared little better, some a good deal worse, but they are also not avowed to surpass Nicklaus's record of 18 Majors - unless you hadn't noticed, they're just not good enough . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 07 Jan 2014, 11:22 am

Kwin - Over their entire career, Lukey and Sergio have won exactly the same number of majors as I have!

If you are offering advice on how specific professional golfers prepare for majors "properly" what say ye for Lukey and Sergio? Just "not good enough" ... even I don't believe that!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Jan 2014, 11:26 am

9 Chins majors are all in the very distant past. I can't even remember what I was doing in 2008.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 07 Jan 2014, 11:33 am

Super - Do you think Tiger will never win another professional major? Past indeed ... but not eternity as for the other top golfer on the table for discussion.

And sorry you can't remember back to 2008!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Jan 2014, 11:37 am

Shotrock wrote:Super - Do you think Tiger will never win another professional major? Past indeed ... but not eternity as for the other top golfer on the table for discussion.

And sorry you can't remember back to 2008!

I'd say it was 50/50 SR, wouldn't be surprised if he did, wouldn't be surprised (and be happy) if he didn't, he does seem to be struggling with his bottle in them despite getting in decent positions. Says something when Darren Clarke has won one more recently then Baldy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 07 Jan 2014, 11:40 am

2013 saw 3 of the very best majorless players break their duck so it would be great to see something similar happen in 2014.........

They are currently 10 of the Worlds Top 20 who are "majorless":

Stenson - this year or never surely.
Kuchar - has often drifted around the top 10 w/o ever threatening
Stricker - not good enough under major pressure IMO
Garcia - see Stricker
Day - has the game
Poulter - not convincing when in contention, too many loose shots
Snedeker -see Poulter
D.Johnson - doesn't putt well enough and question over wedge play
Speith - why not?
Donald - long game not good enough

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Jan 2014, 11:51 am

I would say Jupiter has to align with Mars for Donald to win a Major - for a short hitter he just didn't drive straight enough, doesn't give himself enough chances, and his short game is just an "A" compared to "A+++" a couple of years ago.
Sergio? All the tools except that mental barrier that gets in his way - win one and he'll win two.
Not unlike Harrington in that respect; Padraig was in the right place at the right time once, rode the crest of the wave for 13 months and never anything better than a sometimes very good golfer since. Still regressing . . . . . but talking more and more unfortunately.

Pointless comparing Woods with anyone except the all-time greats - even those who find his charms resistible hold him to a higher standard than all but the elite.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Jan 2014, 12:12 pm

Hi John,
Would only quibble with Jason Day in your assessments.
The thing I liked most about the 2013 winners was that each went out and won, most of them convincingly. Would say each of last year's first-timers are capable of winning again, and you certainly can't say that every year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 07 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm

I have seen a lot of "Bullish" blogging about Jason Day.  I just don't see any reason to be Bullish about his major chances.  2014 will be his 7th year on Tour and he has only one win to his credit and it was a relatively weak field.

Rickie Fowler has joined CAMP BUTCH HARMON?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 07 Jan 2014, 12:27 pm

GPB wrote:

Rickie Fowler has joined CAMP BUTCH HARMON?

Can someone be camp and butch at the same time?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Jan 2014, 12:30 pm

FOwler's a guy who'll never win a major.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 07 Jan 2014, 12:55 pm

Fowler (like so many others) has all the shots needed to win a major ... but don't see his wristy swing holding up well down the stretch.

Could you imagine how emotional Stricker would be were he to win one? Almost certainly not going to happen, however.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 07 Jan 2014, 3:07 pm

While I'd heard of Jordan Spieth I don't think that I had watched him before. The Sky commentators were pretty excited about him, comparing him to Rory as far a talent goes for his age. They did wind it back a little but obviously he is a possible star. What do people reckon about him?

I was also surprised to hear that he was only 20. maybe wearing a hat makes it harder to age someone. On the other side I have always thought that Ken Duke looks as though he well into his Champions' Tour career then I found out that he was only early 40s! I think he's the first player who's age I ever looked up his age when he was in contention last year.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 07 Jan 2014, 7:26 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Great player, but time to start letting your clubs do the talking Padraig as they did in the past. Otherwise, he'll be relying on career-earnings exemptions to play on the PGA Tour in 2014/2015 and snide remarks may earn headlines but won't earn any FedEx points.
Just like he's doing this week on the ET. Playing in S.Africa on past accomplishments.

kwinigolfer wrote:
Also doing his Ryder Cup Captaincy chances no good at all.
Padraig will never be RC captain for the same reasons as Lyle won't be. PH may be more outspoken but has no format.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 07 Jan 2014, 8:46 pm

Did stricker play enough events last season to reach the mandatory minimum?

If not, what action was taken?

Kwini

Your taking your sergio fan boy status well beyond my tiger love in. At least I am only joking most of the time.

Sergio is just a tool? Do you have any evidence to the contrary?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Jan 2014, 10:20 pm

Stricker played 13 tournaments last year, plus the Presidents Cup, more than enough to qualify given the reduced (11 I think) demand due to the shortened season.

All I can say is that I love Sergio's golf, have scarcely followed him live so can't attest to that.

As for his public persona, I'm always very wary of judging people's words when they speak in a second language. Even English gets misconstrued in the American press, let alone a first language unrelated to English.

PS: No-one matches your "tiger love in"!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 08 Jan 2014, 5:34 am

kwinigolfer wrote:I would say Jupiter has to align with Mars for Donald to win a Major - for a short hitter he just didn't drive straight enough, doesn't give himself enough chances, and his short game is just an "A" compared to "A+++" a couple of years ago.
Sergio? All the tools except that mental barrier that gets in his way - win one and he'll win two.
Not unlike Harrington in that respect; Padraig was in the right place at the right time once, rode the crest of the wave for 13 months and never anything better than a sometimes very good golfer since. Still regressing . . . . . but talking more and more unfortunately.

Pointless comparing Woods with anyone except the all-time greats - even those who find his charms resistible hold him to a higher standard than all but the elite.

have to disagree with your point on Harrington. he was been very close to winning another 3 or 4 majors on top of his haul of 3. even in the depths of his troubles he was right in the mix in Olympic 2012. went for the pin on his 72nd hole to birdie but ended up in the front bunker and bogeying (was a front pin).
also in 2012 he was a few Sunday PM puts away from a green Jacket.
he bogeyed 72nd hole of the open to miss the 4 way playoff that Els won i the early 00s
and he also could have won the US open the Ogilvy won where monty and PMick both made a mess of it too.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 08 Jan 2014, 6:03 am

McLaren wrote:Did stricker play enough events last season to reach the mandatory minimum?

If not, what action was taken?

Kwini

Your taking your sergio fan boy status well beyond my tiger love in.  At least I am only joking most of the time.

Sergio is just a tool?  Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

And 9C isn't a tool?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 08 Jan 2014, 6:52 am

They're both tools but at least Sergio is an honest tool.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 08 Jan 2014, 7:27 am

They're both tools but at least Tiger is a megarich tool.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:10 am

I'd say The Mechanic could teach them a bit (I have him as the direct opposite of a tool)

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:14 am

Is Sergio still bending one in Daniella Hantuchova?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next