The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROG - Documentary

+7
Looseheaded
KiaRose
GLove39
Sin é
Feckless Rogue
rodders
thebandwagonsociety
11 posters

Go down

ROG - Documentary Empty ROG - Documentary

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Not sure what section to put this in, but yesterday there was a very insightful documentary shown on RTE about Ronan O'Gara.  It didn't focus on stating how great a player he was, it didn't look to 'settle scores' which is the common practice for any bio. 

Instead this looked at the final seasons of a top level player as they take the inevitable journey from 'first choice' international until retirement.  Whatever peoples thoughts are on ROG as a player, in person he speaks very openly and honestly.

You can see a players thought process at each milestone (being top dog, seeing the young pretender, dealing with this challenge, realisation that you don't have the abilities in the final years compared to when you were younger).  There are glimpses too at where a players focus is (a brilliant clip of DOC and ROG chatting after getting out of the pool stage at the RWC2011 and both of them thinking back to the end of the pool stage in RWC2007).  It also shows post-retirement to a degree, ROGs rationalisation for moving to Racing to start his coaching.

I must say I found it fascinating.  It is probably up on the RTE Player for the next month if anyone has access to it, I would definitely recommend it.

Did anyone else catch it? What did you think of it?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

ROG - Documentary Empty Re: ROG - Documentary

Post by rodders Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:26 am

Yeah it was pretty good, no real surprises in there but it gave a fair reflection of ROG, a moderately talented gobshoite who's attitude, however irritating, made him one of the best 10's and Irish sportsmen of his generation. A good watch.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:03 am

Haven't seen it yet but everybody I know who has said it was brilliant. Will watch it on RTE player soon.

I saw a clip in an ad for it and ROG said Deccie had nothing to do with discussing tactics with him. If Deccie didn't who did?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:57 am

It was okay, he held back on some aspects ( reportedly Kidney, it was delayed for months apparently) had no input on the Lions at all. About 8/10, I wasn't his biggest fan but he was Ireland's greatest 10 there's no doubt about that

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:02 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Haven't seen it yet but everybody I know who has said it was brilliant. Will watch it on RTE player soon.

I saw a clip in an ad for it and ROG said Deccie had nothing to do with discussing tactics with him. If Deccie didn't who did?

Technical coaching team (Munster - McGahan / Jim Williams). Ireland - Gaffney was backs/attack coach (then Kiss).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:43 am

Sounds rather interesting, hopefully it'll surface on RugbyDump or somewhere similar so those of us not living in the Emerald Isle can have a gander

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:37 am

It's not showing on RTE player outside the Republic!!

Explanation:
RTÉ Player It is not avalable outside Ireland because we do not have rights for the match footage within the programme

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:36 am

it's a true travesty

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:05 am

Its up on across the tasman.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:14 am

Sin é wrote:Its up on across the tasman.

?????

It has been taken down from Youtube because RTE have claimed copyright.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:20 am

Rogs doc will be in the bargain bucket down your local dunnes stores soon enough....  Whistle 

A far better watch was that one about that young fella Donal Walsh that was on a few nights ago.... what a brave and inspirational guy he was guinness 
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:12 am

Go to google, and search for something called Hola Unblocker, download/install it for firefox or chrome. It will then appear in your toolbar as a flame with a smiley face. When you go to the RTE Player, click on it, and look for the Irish Flag. That should work for those outside Ireland. It works for other countries for things liek Netflix, never had to do it with Ireland though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:01 am

Gah, still no joy with me even with the extension Thomond!

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 pm

rodders wrote:Rogs doc will be in the bargain bucket down your local dunnes stores soon enough....  Whistle   

A far better watch was that one about that young fella Donal Walsh that was on a few nights ago.... what a brave and inspirational guy he was guinness   

2nd in the Christmas viewing ratings.
Mrs Brown was No. 1.  Wink 
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:18 pm

Who actually watches Mrs Brown? What does it say about our country that such a dumb programme is so popular. Are Irish people really that thick?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:23 am

GunsGerms wrote:Who actually watches Mrs Brown? What does it say about our country that such a dumb programme is so popular. Are Irish people really that thick?

Its pretty much a best seller world wide (in various different languages). Top viewed programme in UK as well over Christmas - something like 10 million watched it.

Watched a few times to see why it is so popular - its easy viewing and I did laugh at Mrs Brown's spinning Christmas tree.

I say fair play to Brendan O'Carroll - he is making a fortune and he seems to be a very decent bloke.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:11 pm

Never watched that Mrs Brown, mind you don't really like watching comedies....apart from ROG interviews that is ..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:07 am

Watched a few to see why it was so popular. It's terrible. Some jokes are actually funny. About one an episode. The rest is awful.

Easy to see why it's popular in Britain. Especially among older people. It's got a bit of drag, a lot of innuendo and a bit of slapstick. Like an old Carry On movie.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:13 am

Had high hopes for it (the ROG documentary, I mean) but I was fairly disappointed, I don't think it told us much we didn't already know. I was hoping it might have provided an insight into the mess that was the RWC 2007, and maybe go into a bit more depth about the Sexton rivalry.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:39 am

Worth reading this article about the making of the documentary as it explains what they were at. Basically, they only started making it in 2009 and they wanted his reaction not with the benefit of hindsight which is what anything prior to that would have been.

http://www.thescore.ie/rog-making-of-film-1247740-Jan2014/
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:04 am

rodders wrote:Rogs doc will be in the bargain bucket down your local dunnes stores soon enough....  Whistle   

Cannot comment if it was "far better" as I haven't seen the ROG doc, but certainly the Donal Walsh doc is well worth a watch.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down