The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eusebio

4 posters

Go down

Eusebio Empty Eusebio

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Greatly saddened to learn today of the death of Eusebio.

The Portuguese forward was a wonderful player who graced the game. Probably never more so than in the 1966 World Cup which he ended as the tournament's top scorer.

Always a gentleman on and off the pitch. My abiding memory is him applauding Alex Stepney for a great save which would have won Benefica the 1968 European Cup Final and having to be waved away by the Manchester United keeper. Not for him any show of personal misfortune, just a demonstration of his respect for a fellow professional.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Eusebio Empty Re: Eusebio

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 pm

R.I.P One of the best players to ever play the game.

Gone but not forgotten.

Thoughts are with his family at this truly tough time.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:42 pm

Eusebio was a name that became synonymous with excellence in football. It is very sad to hear of his passing.

His finest hour was undoubtedly the 1966 World Cup where his feats included bringing Portugal back from a 0 - 3 deficit in the Quarter Final against North Korea (who had eliminated Italy in the group stage), by scoring four goals to help Portugal win 5- 3.

I remember well his applauding of Alex Stepney in the 1968 European Cup Final. It's difficult to imagine any player today doing such a thing especially as, had Eusebio scored, it would surely have won the cup for Benfica. To be so sporting when denied the ultimate prize in club football is surely the mark of not only a great footballer, but also a great sportsman.

One of his achievements that is seldom mentioned, is the two goals he scored in the 1962 European Cup Final against Real Madrid. In that game, Benfica became the first team other than Real Madrid to become European Champions.

A man of dignity, sportsmanship and wonderful skill. A natural goalscorer, a talented ball player and just, simply, an all round great bloke.

His like will never be seen again.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:32 am

Fully endorse all the comments above.  Eusebio was a truly great player who lit up the 1966 World Cup.  (Can't help but contrast his sportmanship with that of another hugely gifted player, Maradonna.)

He made an enormous impression on me when I was quite small.  We didnt have a TV and so went round to a neighbour to watch the 1966 World Cup games. This would have been the first professional football I had ever viewed. Can't ever have been a much better intro to football than to see Eusebio!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down