The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Denver QB Dilema

+7
AdZacO
The Mangler US_UK
Grizzly
wow_junky
El Capitan
TheBrownTown
arizona_tom
11 posters

Go down

Denver QB Dilema Empty Denver QB Dilema

Post by arizona_tom Wed 18 May 2011, 5:12 pm

Wondering how our newly joined Denver fans view the situation. A lot of the articles that iv read seem to suggest that both Elway and Fox are leaning towards Tebow becoming starter and are considering putting Orton on the market. Obviously im sure my team would be among a number of teams interested in a qb with his experience.

Anyone got any idea what hed be worth? im presuming something like a second round pick.

Does anyone rate Tebow here i didnt see any of his college tape but i hear he has a bad throwing mechanism, but saying that he did play well towards the end of last year and burned the texans secondary (but who didnt???) in the last game of the year. I personally think that he deserves an opportunity to prove himself this year, it just depends what value they can get out of orton

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Denver QB Dilema Empty Re: Denver QB Dilema

Post by TheBrownTown Wed 18 May 2011, 5:24 pm

I definitely think we should start Tebow, no doubt in my mind. The way Tebow plays, with so much passion, effort and intensity, is incredible. When I watch Orton however, I almost fall asleep. Don't get me wrong Orton is a good QB that could be successful and can put up nice numbers, but when the game is on the line, or when it's 3rd down, I want Tebow on the field not Orton. Tebow is by no means a perfect QB (his wind up throwing motion, lack of accuracy at times), but he has a lot of upside and I think he has the potential to be great. From what I saw in the three games he started he looked pretty good, the coach limited him quite a lot in those games but we got an idea of what Tebow can do. Tebow could definitely not work out, but I think it is worth the risk and he'll be ready to lead the Broncos.

As for Orton's worth, personally I'd take anything for him but I've been hearing a 3rd and a 5th, not sure team would pay a 2nd round pick for him. I think he'd fit in nicely in Arizona and good do well, but my guess is Miami.

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by El Capitan Wed 18 May 2011, 5:34 pm

I'm with TBT, we've got to start Tebow. The guy has done everything asked of him so far and he would have the whole team and city behind him. I think it would send out the wrong message to go back to Orton. He was good last year and perfectably serviceable but in a clutch situation the guy is horrible.

I think a 2 for him would be fair and I am hearing that the Dolphins are the most likely to make a grab for him. Arizona really want Kolb but their 2nd choice is Orton I have been reading as well.

If there is a DT or RB to complement Knowshon then i'd be partial to a trade. Not likely though I guess.

Tebow deserves his shot, and this is the right time to give it to him.

El Capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 18 May 2011, 8:37 pm

Orton is solid but not spectacular, of all the QBs likely to hit free agency he would be my number 1 option

If Denver give him away for anything less than a 3rd they are crazy

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed 18 May 2011, 8:58 pm

Sorry Gents, I disagree.
I think Orton was one of very few bright spots for the Broncs last year and they should build a team around him as a franchise QB.
Tebow has down nothing to suggest he can lead an offence and throw the ball effectively IMO - don't be fooled by the big numbers he put up against the Texans when given a starting role last season, I reckon half this forum could burn it up against that secondary

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 18 May 2011, 9:00 pm

Grizzly wrote:Sorry Gents, I disagree.
I think Orton was one of very few bright spots for the Broncs last year and they should build a team around him as a franchise QB.
Tebow has down nothing to suggest he can lead an offence and throw the ball effectively IMO - don't be fooled by the big numbers he put up against the Texans when given a starting role last season, I reckon half this forum could burn it up against that secondary

And I thought I was the only one who rated Orton Yahoo

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Wed 18 May 2011, 9:04 pm

No, I'd gladly have Orton at the Cards' helm. It's weird how people don't seem to rate him, but he just wins and puts up good stats.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed 18 May 2011, 9:06 pm

And to answer the question, he would be worth an awful lot to the Vikes, Cards, Niners and any other franchise who suck at QB

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Wed 18 May 2011, 11:33 pm

I find weird when people say he wins games, I'm probably being a but harsh on orton, probably because I really want tebow to start for us.

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu 19 May 2011, 12:15 am

He doesn't win them by himself, but is a very solid QB. Any team with a good running game would be ideal for him, or just a team rebuilding but not ready to add a QB yet.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by ContraryToBelief Thu 19 May 2011, 11:13 am

Tebow. Plain and simple.

Look at the comparisons in stats...

Win % games started in 2010: Close(ish)
Tebow: 33.3% (1 in 3)
Orton: 23% (3 in 13)

People that say Orton knows how to win games, quite frankly, are wrong. Sure, he can put up some numbers in the passing game - but that doesn't mean you know how to win.

All purpose yards in 2010: Very Similar
Tebow: 881 (ave. 293.67 per game)
Orton: 3,751 (ave. 288.54 per game)

Average yards per pass in 2010: Again, very similar
Tebow: 8
Orton: 7.3

...HOWEVER! The one MAHOOSIVE difference is that Tim Tebow, not Kyle Orton, will put bums on seats.

And that is why Tebow should be the starter. Not Orton.

ContraryToBelief

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Thu 19 May 2011, 11:25 am

ContraryToBelief wrote:Tebow. Plain and simple.

Look at the comparisons in stats...

Win % games started in 2010: Close(ish)
Tebow: 33.3% (1 in 3)
Orton: 23% (3 in 13)

People that say Orton knows how to win games, quite frankly, are wrong. Sure, he can put up some numbers in the passing game - but that doesn't mean you know how to win.

All purpose yards in 2010: Very Similar
Tebow: 881 (ave. 293.67 per game)
Orton: 3,751 (ave. 288.54 per game)

Average yards per pass in 2010: Again, very similar
Tebow: 8
Orton: 7.3

...HOWEVER! The one MAHOOSIVE difference is that Tim Tebow, not Kyle Orton, will put bums on seats.

And that is why Tebow should be the starter. Not Orton.

Absolutely right, American football is also a business, and it wouldn't make sense not to start him. Let's not forget too that he was a rookie last year and is bound to improve.

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 19 May 2011, 11:50 am

300 of those Tebow passing yards came against the hopeless Texans secondary, his completion percentage is at 50, he's also been picked 3 times in 3 starts.

Orton has a completion percentage closer 60 and was picked just 9 times in around 500 attempts.

Stats can be manipulated all ways but if I was a coach, fan or GM I'd still prefer Orton as my guy

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 19 May 2011, 11:54 am

Thing is, Grizz, you're not a bible-loving American. They're always going to prefer Tebow of his collegen popularity, his size and physique and also his frequent references to God and how lucky and blessed he is.

I'm really not a fan of Tebow at all, they guy's throwing is just plain bad. But I'm intruigued to see what his ceiling can be.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Thu 19 May 2011, 11:55 am

A good deal of Orton's yards were in garbage time when the Broncos were losing and all we did was pass, all stats can be looked at in different ways.

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu 19 May 2011, 1:04 pm

TheBrownTown wrote:A good deal of Orton's yards were in garbage time when the Broncos were losing and all we did was pass, all stats can be looked at in different ways.

And Tebow's yards weren't? In both games he lost they spent the whole time chasing the game, "garbage yards" in your own words!!

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by ContraryToBelief Thu 19 May 2011, 1:13 pm

wow_junky wrote:And Tebow's yards weren't? In both games he lost they spent the whole time chasing the game, "garbage yards" in your own words!!

Well. No.

At Oakland, Tebow threw the ball just 16 times. SIXTEEN. 8 completions for 138 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010121912/2010/REG15/broncos@raiders

You'll also see there that Denver weren't chasing the game until very late in the 4th quarter...

ContraryToBelief

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Thu 19 May 2011, 1:28 pm

Heres a video discussing Ortons trade value

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/09000d5d81fe5f4e/Orton-s-and-McNabb-s-trade-value?module=HP_video

Jason Lacaforna doesnt think hel be traded for less than 2nd

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu 19 May 2011, 1:52 pm

ContraryToBelief wrote:
wow_junky wrote:And Tebow's yards weren't? In both games he lost they spent the whole time chasing the game, "garbage yards" in your own words!!

Well. No.

At Oakland, Tebow threw the ball just 16 times. SIXTEEN. 8 completions for 138 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010121912/2010/REG15/broncos@raiders

You'll also see there that Denver weren't chasing the game until very late in the 4th quarter...

Fair enough, I'm not going to argue with someone who obviously knows a lot more about the Broncos than me! I just feel from what I've seen that Orton is the better QB and Tebow will bomb next season. We will know in 10 months who is right and who is wrong boxing

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by El Capitan Thu 19 May 2011, 1:55 pm

the only problems I enivision in trading him are that the number of teams looking for a vet will diminish just a few hours after the lockout is lifted. And the $$$ size of his contract...neither helps us.

Hoping that Miami have their lasers set on him.

El Capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu 19 May 2011, 3:30 pm

IMHO Tebow may well mature into a good NFL QB, but I don't think he'll be a franchise QB. Then again, there are similarities with Elway when he came out of college.

His overriding problem is mechanics. Some will ask how much that matters, and the answer is a lot. It impacts on timing, the arc of the ball and most importantly accuracy. His 50% completion rate is a good indicator. The other QB in the same offense with the same receivers hit 60% and there's your difference. I'm also not sure he has such a strong arm, something that matters in the NFL particularly as you get older. Some of his shortcomings can be coached in/out of him, but some is down to nature and some may not be changeable.

As to Orton, I think the Cards will go after Kolb first but could chase Orton. Wouldn't be surprised if Orton turned up at the Skins though. He may well go for a 2nd round choice as that's the market value, but it all hangs on the lockout.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Thu 19 May 2011, 9:53 pm

yer i agree skins4ever for me you might as well give the chance to go in the role. as Im pretty sure the broncos the broncos wont make a playoff run. As for Orton at the skins it would make sense if they do trade McNabb (the decision to get rid of him still makes no sense to me)

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu 19 May 2011, 10:00 pm

Well tom its too late. He has fallen out with the management, but i dont beleivve this he doesnt fit the cheme. He is mobile (not as much as he used to be) and good thrwoing onthe run. I really like Orton and if we were running Gibbs' offence i would want him, but not with Shanahans.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Fri 20 May 2011, 3:05 pm

AdZacO wrote:Well tom its too late. He has fallen out with the management, but i dont beleivve this he doesnt fit the cheme. He is mobile (not as much as he used to be) and good thrwoing onthe run. I really like Orton and if we were running Gibbs' offence i would want him, but not with Shanahans.

yer just seems a shame he definetly isnt as mobile but i think with a few of the right tools he could still lead a team to the playoffs. Do you think Gibbs will b e running the offence???

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 20 May 2011, 3:12 pm

McNabb has never been the most accurate of QB's and that was evident last year. As such he can't carry a team, but with a strong running game and defense he can be the difference maker, hence he would be a good fit with teams like the Vikings. I think what AdZac0 was trying to say was that McNabb would work in a Gibbs type offense (strong running game, emphasis on play action) he would have been more successful.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Fri 20 May 2011, 3:57 pm

oh my bad i though he was your OC. Yer hed definetly fit weel with the vikes

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 21 May 2011, 11:50 am

It will apparently take a 2nd round pick to get Orton from Denver, really though if Kolb is "worth" a 1st then a 2nd isn't a bad price for Orton. Orton is at least established in the league, plenty of game tape to see if you like him, and his stats are fairly good.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/21/broncos-may-not-trade-orton-for-less-than-a-second-round-pick/

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down