The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nathan Cleverly 'trying out' David Haye's trainer Adam Booth

+7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
TopHat24/7
kingraf
jimdig
Strongback
TRUSSMAN66
Steffan
11 posters

Go down

Nathan Cleverly 'trying out' David Haye's trainer Adam Booth Empty Nathan Cleverly 'trying out' David Haye's trainer Adam Booth

Post by Steffan Thu 16 Jan 2014, 9:01 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wales/25764625

Former world light-heavyweight title holder Nathan Cleverly is training under the man who guided David Haye to world heavyweight glory.

Cleverly's latest planned fight, his first at cruiserweight, been delayed a third time, by a back problem.

His father Vince told BBC Radio Wales that Nathan is "trying things out" with Adam Booth.

The news came as ex-world dual weight champion Joe Calzaghe backed Cleverly's decision to pull out of a 1 March bout.

Ex-super middleweight and light heavyweight world champion Calzaghe said: "If he's not 100% he shouldn't fight.

"If you're coming off a defeat you want to make sure you're 100% especially when you're getting up to a new weight division."

Cleverly's withdrawal came as he continues the transition between weight divisions in which he must add around two stones of weight.

That came about after he lost his WBO light-heavyweight title to Sergey Kovalev in Cardiff last August.

His father and long-time trainer Vince says Nathan's progress has recently been overseen by Booth.

Vince added: "He's trying things out with Adam Booth at the moment up in London to see how that's working out so there's a couple of different things that's going on.

"We've been together since 11 years of age.

"Sometimes there comes a time in life where you need to try different things.

"And Nathan has got to be taken out of his comfort zone.

"Because when he was home training with me, he wasn't quite doing things correctly and he was in his comfort zone too much.

"So by going up with Adam, Adam will make sure that he gets him out of his comfort zone and gets the best out of him."

Cleverly, the ex-WBO light-heavyweight champion, had been expected to face a so-far unnamed opponent at Aintree on St David's Day, having already called off his planned debut twice.

The 26-year-old's planned debut at the new weight against Daniel Ammann in November was put off as Cleverly had a back injury.
Another back problem ended a fight with Illunga Makubu , scheduled for 1 February in Monaco.

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Nathan Cleverly 'trying out' David Haye's trainer Adam Booth Empty Re: Nathan Cleverly 'trying out' David Haye's trainer Adam Booth

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 16 Jan 2014, 9:05 pm

Sounds like he has everything going for him.........

Bags of talent........ a new training approach and he's Welsh too !! ..We all know what a warrior breed they are from that Country !!

I'm expecting a cross between Leonard and Jones Jr.......Hope I won't be disappointed.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Nathan Cleverly 'trying out' David Haye's trainer Adam Booth Empty Re: Nathan Cleverly 'trying out' David Haye's trainer Adam Booth

Post by Strongback Thu 16 Jan 2014, 9:28 pm

Seems like there's a revolving door at Booth's gym. How long before Cleverly is guided to the centre of the ring in darkness and told to rotate counter clockwise three times. At that point Adam owns Nathan's soul.

Anyway I can't see it lasting not with Booth's greed.

Cleverly's team were throwing out names of potential opponents and Marco Huck was mentioned. I can't see that ending well for Nathan.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 16 Jan 2014, 9:46 pm

Cruiser or bust isn't it..........Let's hope It's bust........

We don't want a "Stiff-hunt" like we had with Enzo........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 16 Jan 2014, 10:00 pm

2 stone weight is a big increase. We could do with another weight class, junior cruiser.
Although he was lean at light heavy, he never struck me as looking drained.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 16 Jan 2014, 10:03 pm

Marco huck eats cleverly's soul at 200
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 17 Jan 2014, 9:43 am

Ditched Vince?

Gotta be a good start!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 17 Jan 2014, 9:48 am

I can actually see him getting threw in against decent opponents from now on actually.

Warren was trying to market him as the next "Joe" with the unbeaten record etc.

But that's gone now, so obviously he's not going to be the golden goose that Warren had hoped. So he could end up being fed to on of the top cruisers relatively quick....

He did it with Enzo Mac once he lost his marketability
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 17 Jan 2014, 10:48 am

It will probably go well until Clerverly gets the bill from Booth and finds out he owes Booth 50% of his next purse.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jan 2014, 11:18 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Cruiser or bust isn't it..........Let's hope It's bust........

We don't want a "Stiff-hunt" like we had with Enzo........
One of your more profitable nights at the Oyster eh TRUSS?

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm

Can't see Clev having much success regardless of coach.
His lack of power means he struggles to keep opponents off him. The decent CW's will just walk straight through him like Kovalev did.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Sun 19 Jan 2014, 3:07 pm

Good move for both.

I think it will work. They need to gel but having met Nathan, he's a good guy, and I think Adam will take him under his wing. I think it's a change for the better and will be interesting to see what improvements Nathan makes.

Good times ahead.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:10 pm

If he's a good guy it's bound to work.........

Imagine what Booth could do with Mother Theresa..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:20 pm

It will be interesting to see if Booth has another style than circle around and launch raid attacks. His style seems to rely on explosive speed and athleticism along with top reflexes. Cleverly's one of those guys with great durability but not the sort of speedy athleticism that suits Booth's style.

Either way, he needs to change something. You can have such a head on style if you got no power.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:04 pm

In fairness though Cleverly is doing the right thing...If I was a boxer I'd love to have Booth train me....

Always seems a calming influence both in and out of the ring........

Always found those types instill confidence in fighters better than loud, bawdy types..

Remember the great work Duff uesed to do in the corner for his charges....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down