The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2

+43
BigTrevsbigmac
andyi
Cardiff Dave
8Studs
Chunky Norwich
St John The Enforcer
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
geoff998rugby
HammerofThunor
Westisbest2
Portnoy's Complaint
VinceWLB
mystiroakey
Sin é
Irish Londoner
ScarletSpiderman
Allty
doctor_grey
LeinsterFan4life
Rugby Fan
Dubbelyew L Overate
Exiledinborders
KiaRose
SecretFly
Standulstermen
stub
Coleman
TJ
geoff999rugby
Artful_Dodger
cface
wayne
nathan
Feckless Rogue
broadlandboy
justified sinner
englandglory4ever
Notch
Poorfour
quinsforever
Cyril
Jenifer McLadyboy
Intotouch
47 posters

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2 - Page 15 Empty New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2

Post by Intotouch Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:06 am

First topic message reminder :

A continuation of the previous thread. For everyone with more to say.

Last edited by Intotouch on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2 - Page 15 Empty Re: New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Notch wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Notch bt is in Ireland and is also common.. Its given out free with something bt broadcasts in the whole of UK and ireland

Yeah, but they won't have it free long term.
so neither will anyone else in the UK either!

BT televise in the UK and Ireland.

there is no hit for Ireland over the UK as you suggest.

It is the same in NI , Ireland or england,scotland or wales

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2 - Page 15 Empty Re: New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm

I am not sure where this notion that BT is a UK only service..

Its a UK and Ireland service just like ESPNUK(now bought by BT) and BSKYB(sky)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:31 pm

Sin é wrote:They have pulled out of ROI - the only thing they have to sell in Ireland is through a subscribtion to Setanta. The Pro 12 will remain on FTA services like RTE, BBCNI and TG4 in Ireland.

So after saying "BT have nothing to flog in Ireland" youve now changed to "the only thing they have to sell in Ireland is through a subscribtion to Setanta"

BT are very much alive in all of ireland. Mainly in IT Services.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:42 pm

BT is a multi national company with many arms that sell services in almost every country that exists.

But anyway BT sport is the arm we are talking about- and yes it is sold as a package with espn and sentanta in Ireland.

It exists in ireland

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:50 pm

nathan wrote:
Sin é wrote:They have pulled out of ROI - the only thing they have to sell in Ireland is through a subscribtion to Setanta. The Pro 12 will remain on FTA services like RTE, BBCNI and TG4 in Ireland.

So after saying "BT have nothing to flog in Ireland" youve now changed to "the only thing they have to sell in Ireland is through a subscribtion to Setanta"

BT are very much alive in all of ireland. Mainly in IT Services.

They don't have anything to flog in Ireland - Setanta do.

And just for the record, Setanta used be available as part of the eircom.net offerings for free.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 pm

What point are you trying to make Sin e?

sentanta just have the exclusive rights to sell BT sports channels(which include bt sport 1 , 2 and espn) in ireland.

in the uk you get it through virgin or sky, or you can still buy it direct.

but the major point of this is that BT sport have the EXCULSIVE rights to show certain sport(like 40 odd pl games plus more) in the UK and ireland.. No other broadcaster can sell those games in the UK or IRELAND

so yes off course BT SPORT have something to sell. They just use a middle man only

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:23 pm

mystiroakey wrote:What point are you trying to make Sin e?

sentanta just have the exclusive rights to sell BT sports channels(which include bt sport 1 , 2 and espn) in ireland.

in the uk you get it through virgin or sky, or you can still buy it direct.

but the major point of this is that BT sport have the EXCULSIVE rights to show certain sport(like 40 odd pl games plus more) in the UK and ireland.. No other broadcaster can sell those games in the UK or IRELAND

so yes off course BT SPORT have something to sell. They just use a middle man only

BT's most important item for sales is their broadband. They withdrew from that market in Ireland a few years ago.

Their only interest in sponsoring Irish teams (which will be the most hyped games on Sky) is to get to the Sky reach of broadcasting PRO 12 Games in the UK next season.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:27 pm

BT sport is a separate entity and although heavily linked to aiding there Broadband sales in the UK , it still has its own very huge aspirations..

BT sport isnt a loss leader just for the BB arm Sin'e . Its a company that wants to eventually hold its own and make money in sport and compete with SKY

But no disrespect here mate- the PRO 12 isnt its biggest target- far from it.

Off course it would like to get the PRO 12.. But if it doesn't it still has the brand recognition even if the games are only on sky from the irish lads shirts.

remember this is a company that will be shelling out over a billion to show CL games in the future.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:38 pm

Sorry, Mysti - but only an ediot would believe that BT's main interest is not in retaining market dominance in Broadband in the UK.

They really are not going to make money on throwing money at the Champions League (and why Sky really didn't compete with them).

They have deep pockets, but they are not looking to fill them from their sports broadcasting.

Last edited by Sin é on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:44 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Sin é wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Why on Earth would having a third of the teams being in a failing league be good for the broadcasters? That makes no sense (unless you're a believer in some of the crazier conspirancy theories).

And they don't want to own rugby (that's just an out of context quote that is thrown around).  The were taking about the TV rights and specifically the English club game.

They wanted to break up the Celtic/Italian Union alliance in the Pro12 which were the main obstacles to the BT Cup competition. They wet hoping that the Irish & Welsh (they didn't care about the rest) would come crawling on their knees to play in their competition.

Why would anyone want to 'own' even English rugby. That comment put the wind up the Unions - it just shows that BT are not really very smart at all.

Again, it's 'own' the English club rugby TV rights. And the reason would be so that people who want to watch English club rugby have to subscriber to BT Sports (or get BT broadband and get BT Sports FREE). I thought that was obvious.

I'm sorry, but when were they trying to break up the Celtic/Italian alliance of the PRO12? Was this before they knew about the Sky deal or after? And was it before or after they back away and said they didn't want to cause problems (something sevel posters jumped on cackling that BT were abandoning the PRL)? Time to put the tin-foil hat on again before the PRL mind control wray kicks in again.

BT Sport wrote:"We are looking to set up, or at least help set up, a dazzling new European tournament with a fantastic new format, with, we hope, all the best clubs," he told http://www.sportspromedia.com.

"And we've secured, from the English Premiership, the rights to that for the UK. That tournament will be the successor to the Heineken Cup, which is a very successful tournament.

"The Heineken Cup, under its current contract, has another season to run, and that will be the end of it, and we are looking to set up a brand new tournament from then.

"We saw in rugby an opportunity to own a sport exclusively, certainly at club level, and the rights that we've bought give us an opportunity to do that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/club-rugby/bt-vision-boss-marc-watson-reveals-plans-for-dazzling-new-european-tournament-8135256.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:58 pm

I dont really want an argument mate and as much as I want to retort i wont call you an idiot.

but a i will leave you with a few key points.

BT dont care about the PRO 12 in the way you think they do. Yes they will sponsor the odd team. But broadcasting the pro 12 is truly one of the lowest priorities it has.

BT do care about a long term gain on BT sport.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:59 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Notch wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Notch bt is in Ireland and is also common.. Its given out free with something bt broadcasts in the whole of UK and ireland

BT Sport is free with BT broadband, at least temporarily. BT only provide broadband to business customers in Ireland so Irish fans will have to pay from the off, whereas many fans and BT customers in the UK will be able to take advantage of the free with broadband offer.

So yes, Irish fans will be hit in the short-term.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:09 am

Notch wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
Notch wrote:

BT Sport is free with BT broadband, at least temporarily. BT only provide broadband to business customers in Ireland so Irish fans will have to pay from the off, whereas many fans and BT customers in the UK will be able to take advantage of the free with broadband offer.

So yes, Irish fans will be hit in the short-term.
it was also free in Ireland with one service up until a point.(i thought it still was)

If BT do get they mits on European rugby then at that point i am pretty sure there will be an increase in price for bb customers.

I pay for BT- I pay virgin 95 quid a month, If i didn't have the XL package I wouldnt have it. You also have to pay for it on sky.. and the free offer on the BT broadband is all well and good- but you have to buy the BB first.. It isnt really free is it.

We are all paying. I dont buy that the Irish would get hit harder.

But all this talk makes me wonder why the heck things haven't moved on.

Why haven't we moved into a point were anyone can watch anything we want legally and just pay for view.or just pay a one off monthly sub and then royalities get split to the owners(like music or video serivices- netflix, spotify etc).The infrastructure is here.. It drives me nuts with all these subscriptions with different broadcasters etc..

The later will happen at some point- I just hope its sooner than later,

I mean from there point of view every year more and more people are watching things illegally anyway.

BUt you know what - I am fine with that.

Why shouldn't i be able to watch a  palace v Everton game live... Yet someone in america or India can. But if there was a legal HD option - off course i would pay

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 am

mystiroakey wrote:I dont really want an argument mate and as much as I want to retort i wont call you an idiot.

BT dont care about the PRO 12 in the way you think they do. Yes they will sponsor the odd team. But broadcasting the pro 12 is truly one of the lowest priorities it has.

We're not in disagreement here. As far as I can see, BT are only interested in UK broadband and they became interested in the PRO 12 as soon as they sold the broadcasting rights of the PRO 12 to Sky, who will be concentrating on the English market because the PRO 12 will be on Free to Air services (RTE, TG4 & BBCNI) on the island of Ireland. As far as I know, BBC Wales will also be broadcasting it as well.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:42 am

Sin é wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:I dont really want an argument mate and as much as I want to retort i wont call you an idiot.

We're not in disagreement here. As far as I can see, BT are only interested in UK broadband and they became interested in the PRO 12 as soon as they sold the broadcasting rights of the PRO 12 to Sky, who will be concentrating on the English market because the PRO 12 will be on Free to Air services (RTE, TG4 & BBCNI) on the island of Ireland. As far as I know, BBC Wales will also be broadcasting it as well.

Have the FTA contracts been renews then? Last I had heard none of them had (
I'm sure they're just waiting on what the pro12 make up is).

Regarding 'ownership' and your quote. Well the rights do NOT give them 'ownership' of 'club rugby' exclusively (they don't have any pro12, or SH rugby). It DOES give them 'ownership' of the broadcasting for the 'English club rugby' exclusively (if you're happy to discount the development comp, the LV).

And again, what makes you think BT only got interested in sponsoring the pro12 following sky getting the rights? Was that not the first time a contract was up following them getting into sports broadcasting? And what is the point? You claimed it was because BT wanted to weaken the Pro12 so they would come running back to the RCC. Care to expand on the mechanism.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 am

Yes, me too. If there was an option to pay less every month and just get the rugby that is on Sky Sports (and BT, I suppose) I would definitely do that.

Question on qualifying; will the 20th place (the one that is decided by who wins the tournament) go to the league or country? i.e. If Leinster or Ulster win, will Connacht still have a back door into the top flight...

If the reported format is correct as it stands next year we'll have;

Munster
Leinster
Ospreys
Glasgow
Ulster
Scarlets
Treviso

Northampton Saints
Saracens
Bath
Harlequins
Leicester Tigers
Sale Sharks

Clermont
Montpellier
Stade Francais
Castres
Toulon
Grenoble

TBC

Looking at that it's stark how little meaningful representation the Welsh, Scottish and Italians are going to have Sad
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:45 am

Looks about right to me.

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:16 am

And as usual absolutely no interest from the celts on the 2nd tier.

Connacht
Dragons
Blues
Edinburgh
Zebre

Gloucester
Exeter
Wasps
Irish
Newcastle
TBC

Toulouse
Racing Metro
Brive
Bordeaux
Perpignan
Bayonne
TBC
TBC

TBC
TBC

And one of these teams would be in the 1st tier. Much better

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:02 am

It is looking like the 20th team in the 1st tier will be from the winning teams country - so Connaught not dead yet  Very Happy 

Do we know the 2nd tier will be 20 teams or could it be 24?

Scarlets are far from safe both Dragons and Edinburgh could overtake them - in fact we could see only 1 Welsh team in the 1st tier competition  Shocked

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 am

Domestic Rugby is practically dead in Wales thanks to the WRU, so it means little.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:27 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Have the FTA contracts been renews then? Last I had heard none of them had (
I'm sure they're just waiting on what the pro12 make up is).

Regarding 'ownership' and your quote. Well the rights do NOT give them 'ownership' of 'club rugby' exclusively (they don't have any pro12, or SH rugby). It DOES give them 'ownership' of the broadcasting for the 'English club rugby' exclusively (if you're happy to discount the development comp, the LV).

And again, what makes you think BT only got interested in sponsoring the pro12 following sky getting the rights? Was that not the first time a contract was up following them getting into sports broadcasting? And what is the point? You claimed it was because BT wanted to weaken the Pro12 so they would come running back to the RCC. Care to expand on the mechanism.

BT already 'own' the PRL. BT will own European Rugby when they take over the RCC now that they have killed off ERC.

I don't they the FTA's have been settled yet - awaiting the Welsh Regions to sort themselves out, I'd imagine, but the rights sold to Sky are non-exclusive which implies that they will be on FTA.

The IRFU's media strategy is from what I can see - FTA - 6Ns & home internationls, World Cup. Pro12.
Sky - Away (Summer) Tours, Heineken Cup.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:37 pm

They 'own' the broadcast rights to the English club games (be they league or european).  They don't 'own' other european rugby broadcast rights.  And they didn't kill off the ERC.  The members of the ERC did because they were more interested in playing with the PRL clubs than staying with the ERC (if the current rumours pan out).

Aren't the Irish AI on sky? Also it's not up to the IRFU what happens with the away tours.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:56 pm

Surely Marc Watson meant something more than just owning rights when he stated this:

"We saw in rugby an opportunity to own a sport exclusively, certainly at club level, and the rights that we've bought give us an opportunity to do that."

So buying the rights isn't owning the sport exclusively, but does give them the opportunity to do so. Whatever your take on 'to own the sport exclusively' means.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:01 pm

Buying the rights to the English Premiership and the English games in Europe give them the oppotunity to own the broadcast rights to all top level domestic English rugby, exclusively. So if you want to watch top level English domestic rugby teams you have to do it through Sky (at least live and discounting the LV)

I honestly don't understand the issue with this.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:23 pm

It's possible I'm reading too much into 'opportunity'. I don't have a problem with BT broadcasting English rugby. I do have a problem with how it was done, and I do have a problem with the damage it has caused.
Hopefully the end result of these negotiations will have something positive for everyone, but even with agreement reached; I have the distinct impression that the battle between Club and Union will continue to be fought out behind closed doors.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:24 pm

If you look at that statement with the context that BT are a sports broadcasters then it seems pretty clear to me.

I can see how you can read more into it but only if you want to

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:34 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:If you look at that statement with the context that BT are a sports broadcasters then it seems pretty clear to me.

I can see how you can read more into it but only if you want to

I make no apologies for interpreting according to my worldview, Hammer. I have a biased point of view, but I do try and be as objective as possible even so.
The way PRL, and BT, have went about their business gives me a right not to trust them with the future of European rugby, and I don't.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:43 pm

We all have biased views. I certainly have mine.

I understand why they did it the way they did it. Sky and various unions (mainly the RFU) have been too cozy for too long. I wonder if BT were even given a chance at the ERC competitions. That would certainly explain why the action was taken. But that is completely made up based on no information, like most of the accusations on here.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Hammer, can you give me a line-by-line interpretation of what this means:

"And we've secured, from the English Premiership, the rights to that for the UK. That tournament will be the successor to the Heineken Cup, which is a very successful tournament.

"The Heineken Cup, under its current contract, has another season to run, and that will be the end of it, and we are looking to set up a brand new tournament from then.

"We saw in rugby an opportunity to own a sport exclusively, certainly at club level, and the rights that we've bought give us an opportunity to do that.

----

In particular, why is he mentioning the Heineken Cup in the first place if he was only referring to 'owning rugby in England'?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Because the English teams would be playing in it? That's just off the top of my head. As you've already said, they turned down the chance to bid for the Pro12, so they clearly don't want to 'own' international, or even european, club rugby.

But line by line

"And we've secured, from the English Premiership, the rights to that for the UK."

No idea what 'that' is. Have you missed out some of the quote?

"That tournament will be the successor to the Heineken Cup, which is a very successful tournament."

Ah, is 'that' the 'RCC'? But this is saying, the HEC is successful.

"The Heineken Cup, under its current contract, has another season to run, and that will be the end of it, and we are looking to set up a brand new tournament from then."

The current ERC participation agreement runs out the season after the season that comment was made. Then they're going to look at setting up a new competition, a.k.a. RCC.

"We saw in rugby an opportunity to own a sport exclusively, certainly at club level, and the rights that we've bought give us an opportunity to do that."

Ok, there are two immediate ways to read this one. One, he thinks they 'own' the sport because they've signed a broadcasting agreement (I'm not even sure what 'own' means in terms of what you're suggesting). Other than having a say on match scheduling, interviews, etc. Also, he thinks that buying the broadcast rights to the English league games and English European games gives him 'ownership' of all club rugby (international or European, your pick).

Two, they wanted to own the exclusive broadcast rights to an Enlgish club sport and the rugby unions ones was the one they went for (because it was avalable).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:54 pm

Oh and a line by line explaination by yourself would be nice. In fact we could come up with a game.

Who can come up with the most rational interpretation of the Marc Watson's words? Wooden spoon for the most irrational

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:05 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Because the English teams would be playing in it? That's just off the top of my head.  As you've already said, they turned down the chance to bid for the Pro12, so they clearly don't want to 'own' international, or even european, club rugby.

But line by line

"And we've secured, from the English Premiership, the rights to that for the UK."  

No idea what 'that' is. Have you missed out some of the quote?

"That tournament will be the successor to the Heineken Cup, which is a very successful tournament."

Ah, is 'that' the 'RCC'? But this is saying, the HEC is successful.

"The Heineken Cup, under its current contract, has another season to run, and that will be the end of it, and we are looking to set up a brand new tournament from then."

The current ERC participation agreement runs out the season after the season that comment was made.  Then they're going to look at setting up a new competition, a.k.a. RCC.

Ok, there are two immediate ways to read this one. One, he thinks they 'own' the sport because they've signed a broadcasting agreement (I'm not even sure what 'own' means in terms of what you're suggesting). Other than having a say on match scheduling, interviews, etc.  Also, he thinks that buying the broadcast rights to the English league games and English European games gives him 'ownership' of all club rugby (international or European, your pick).

Two, they wanted to own the exclusive broadcast rights to an Enlgish club sport and the rugby unions ones was the one they went for (because it was avalable).

Am I the only one that is slightly bothered by the highlighted statement? Basically an executive from a broadcasting/telecomms/medjia company is going to set up a sports tournament? Why?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:32 pm

GREED!!!!!!!!!

I really do want 606 to invent an evil laugh emoticon for such moments!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:06 pm

I've been thinking about this, and I'm quite annoyed at the format. We had a 24-team format which was criticised for not being elite enough, too many weakened sides etc. But a 20-team format isn't that much better even though we're losing some of the sides from smaller nations. It still has the 2nd best runners-up issue for one.

If the point is to create a truly elite tournament why not have it 5, 5 and 5 teams from each league with the last place going to the league the winner is from.

Then you'd have a 16-team tournament where the Top 2 in each group go through with the 1st place team getting home advantage, and a stronger and more credible 20 or 24 team second tier tournament.

24 teams worked as an inclusive format that embraced both developing rugby across the 6N and fostering elite competition and was obviously my preferred choice but it's not going to happen. After that came off the table, 16 would work as a more elite, high-level tournament which relied much less on the luck of the draw. 20 is just a pig of a compromise between the two- if we're going to try and make it about the elite-spet might as well go the whole hog.

Last edited by Notch on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:08 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Am I the only one that is slightly bothered by the highlighted statement?  Basically an executive from a broadcasting/telecomms/medjia company is going to set up a sports tournament?  Why?

I doubt you're only one. But isn't Sky often credited with turning the HEC I tow hat it is today? One of the reasons why the ERC wanted to stay with Sky?

Edit: the "we" is key. Does he mean BT? BT and PRL? BT, PRL and anyone else involved? What involvement will BT have in that? Is there anything above the say Sky already have?

Last edited by HammerofThunor on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:10 pm

SecretFly wrote:GREED!!!!!!!!!

New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2 - Page 15 Mwahaha
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Notch wrote:

New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2 - Page 15 Mwahaha

Only admins can add smilies though.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:15 pm

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:17 pm

Notch wrote:
Notch wrote:

Aww...that's perfect. Just add it to the list. Or..am I being a fool here and it's already there?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Like I've said before. Broadcasting companies (all of them and any of them - SKY plus BT) should only enter the talks when the competition (all aspects of - including percentages of profit) has been decided between rugby Unions, clubs etc.

Broadcasting companies should stay the hell away from the formative talks on what kind of competition it is they are going to try to buy. No - you're told what's on offer and you either say you're interested in bidding or you're not.

And there should always be a bidding process not a rubber stamp process. Yes, any organisation should still have the freedom to accept a lower offer if the working relationship is good enough between broadcaster and sport. But any broadcasting company must have the right to put in a bid and have it considered on it's own merits.

But strictly NO admin involvement in the sport by a broadcaster ('kinda competition our audience likes', the format our main sponsors like', 'kinda teams they like to see' etc).
No. That's interference and shouldn't be tolerated.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:22 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:We all have biased views. I certainly have mine.

I understand why they did it the way they did it. Sky and various unions (mainly the RFU) have been too cozy for too long. I wonder if BT were even given a chance at the ERC competitions. That would certainly explain why the action was taken. But that is completely made up based on no information, like most of the accusations on here.

It appears that the cosy relationship has been successful for European competition though. Even BT admit this much, and the facts and figures support this view.
I have no reason to believe that BT were not given a chance to compete for exclusive broadcasting rights. I would think that if they weren't then we would know by now. PRL were heavily involved in the commercial side of things in ERC, and if that was true then I'm sure they would have had Rees put it in print.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:40 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Notch wrote:
Notch wrote:

Aww...that's perfect.  Just add it to the list.  Or..am I being a fool here and it's already there?
SF you can use pretty much any emotcion you want with a little amount of knowledge    New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2 - Page 15 34

New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2 - Page 15 2Q==

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:49 pm

Fly, I agree that should be the way but unfortunately it's not. As Sin e has already quoted from that Feehan guy (6 Nations and Celtic Rugby CEO, I think) the reason the 6 Nations is played in the mud and the ran of late winter/early spring is because the broadcasters have a time slot at that time of year. The reason we have Friday and Sunday games is because the broadcasters like them and dislike all Saturday games even though they're better for the fans. The reason the ERC competitions are spread over the year is so you need to subscribe all year to watch them rather than a couple of months.

Munchkin, the PRL were one name on the committee (out of 9). McCafferty was apparently at some undisclosed point (that I've never seen anything more than an out of date ESPN profile to back up). So one 9th of the vote is heavily involved?

There's no reason to think that Sky weren't given a chance to bid for the PRL rights is there? But it's stated as fact often.

As for the cozy relationship being successful, well we can't say can we? We have no idea if a different TV company would have do it differently. Don't get me wrong the wonga sure did help. Oh memories of all the complaints over the Anglo-centric nature of Sky and their ridiculous over-hyping and then slamming of players and teams. Back before all this kicked off and Sky became beacons of true rugby broadcasting.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:54 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Notch wrote:
Notch wrote:

Aww...that's perfect.  Just add it to the list.  Or..am I being a fool here and it's already there?
SF you can use pretty much any emotcion you want with a little amount of knowledge    New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2 - Page 15 34

New European cup. (Or whatever it's called) Qualification agreed? Part 2 - Page 15 2Q==

Oh I know that Mystir...but I'm lazy Wink I'd much prefer just see and click

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:05 pm

Ok Lazy bones

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:07 pm

SecretFly wrote:...Broadcasting companies should stay the hell away from the formative talks on what kind of competition it is they are going to try to buy.  No - you're told what's on offer and you either say you're interested in bidding or you're not...

That is one of the worst ways a professional sport could go about dealing with media partners. The same applies to relationships with sponsors.

You want the highest level of commitment from all your partners. You want them to share responsibility for marketing the sport, you want them to commit significant resources, and you want them to be proud and eager to be associated with the sport.

You don't get that by showing them you feel like holding your nose every time they come near you.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:09 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Fly, I agree that should be the way but unfortunately it's not. As Sin e has already quoted from that Feehan guy (6 Nations and Celtic Rugby CEO, I think) the reason the 6 Nations is played in the mud and the ran of late winter/early spring is because the broadcasters have a time slot at that time of year. The reason we have Friday and Sunday games is because the broadcasters like them and dislike all Saturday games even though they're better for the fans.  The reason the ERC competitions are spread over the year is so you need to subscribe all year to watch them rather than a couple of months.

Munchkin, the PRL were one name on the committee (out of 9). McCafferty was apparently at some undisclosed point (that I've never seen anything more than an out of date ESPN profile to back up).  So one 9th of the vote is heavily involved?

There's no reason to think that Sky weren't given a chance to bid for the PRL rights is there? But it's stated as fact often.

As for the cozy relationship being successful, well we can't say can we? We have no idea if a different TV company would have do it differently. Don't get me wrong the wonga sure did help. Oh memories of all the complaints over the Anglo-centric nature of Sky and their ridiculous over-hyping and then slamming of players and teams. Back before all this kicked off and Sky became beacons of true rugby broadcasting.

But my point is that with PRL being represented on the committee they would have known about any approach by BT to tender for exclusive broadcasting rights. The fact that PRL haven't brought this up leads me to believe that BT never approached ERC.
I think we can say it was successful in terms of European competition. The HEC was a great success, and growing year on year. Whether or not another company would do it better doesn't take away from that fact, but there is risk in testing that out. 'If it isn't broke, don't fix it'. That's not to say it couldn't be improved, of course.
Personally speaking I was never in love with Sky. They don't mind digging the arm in when it comes to sport. For me it isn't so much siding with Sky as it is siding with the Unions decision to go with Sky. Sure, whoever the broadcaster is, we will always have reason to have a good old gripe at them.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:18 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
SecretFly wrote:...Broadcasting companies should stay the hell away from the formative talks on what kind of competition it is they are going to try to buy.  No - you're told what's on offer and you either say you're interested in bidding or you're not...

That is one of the worst ways a professional sport could go about dealing with media partners. The same applies to relationships with sponsors.

You want the highest level of commitment from all your partners. You want them to share responsibility for marketing the sport, you want them to commit significant resources, and you want them to be proud and eager to be associated with the sport.

You don't get that by showing them you feel like holding your nose every time they come near you.

If your partners have a vested interest and that vested interest doesn't mind closing down and shutting up a competitior then nope...it's just dangerous on every level - as we've seen from the months of infighting that has taken place in rugby where trust has gone out the door in many areas of the game ,and will take some time to get back.  

BT shouldn't have been where they turned up.  They just shouldn't have been there allying themselves to a single vested interest group in the internal dynamics of a sport that BT doesn't belong to.

Nope.  Not a word you say in explanation, or in support of BTs entry into the debate in the pocket of PRL, will change that fundamental view that I have.
Broadcasting companies - keep your fingers out of admin.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:36 pm

SecretFly wrote:...If your partners have a vested interest and that vested interest doesn't mind closing down and shutting up a competitior then nope...it's just dangerous on every level - as we've seen from the months of infighting that has taken place in rugby where trust has gone out the door in many areas of the game ,and will take some time to get back.  

BT shouldn't have been where they turned up.  They just shouldn't have been there allying themselves to a single vested interest group in the internal dynamics of a sport that BT doesn't belong to.

Nope.  Not a word you say in explanation, or in support of BTs entry into the debate in the pocket of PRL, will change that fundamental view that I have.
Broadcasting companies - keep your fingers out of admin.

You weren't talking specifics, you were creating a general principle of how rugby should deal with broadcasters. I'm afraid it's a lousy general principle. Your post above suggests you've mainly arrived at it through a very partial view of how you see parties acting over the last year or two. That strikes me as a poor basis to come up with a general principle.

I don't give a fig about trying to guess the motives of all the various parties to this mess. I do know that rugby risks shooting itself in the foot by trying to shovel blame onto the media partners in order to make everyone else feel warm and cuddly.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:42 pm

Statement From the Directors of ERC

The directors of ERC resolved at a Board meeting in London today (Wednesday, 19 February) to further defer a decision regarding the release of instalments of ERC's distributable revenues to its six shareholder countries.

The resolution was taken with the ongoing negotiations in relation to the future of European club rugby tournaments in mind, and the directors will reconvene to consider the matter again at a Board meeting on 11 March next, following a meeting of ERC shareholders on 10 March.
The ERC Board of Directors is made up of representatives from the six unions of England, France, Ireland, Italy, Wales and Scotland, as well as representatives from three club bodies, namely the Ligue Nationale de Rugby (LNR), Premiership Rugby (PRL) and Regional Rugby Wales (RRW).
The ERC shareholders are the six unions of England, France, Ireland, Italy, Wales and Scotland, and the Ligue Nationale de Rugby.

ERC Board directors in attendance:
Jean-Pierre Lux - ERC independent Chairman
Michel Palmié - FFR
Marcel Martin - LNR
Rob Andrew - RFU
Peter Wheeler - PRL
Fabrizio Gaetaniello - FIR
Peter Boyle - IRFU
Philip Browne - IRFU
Mark Dodson - SR
Ian McLauchlan - SR
Roger Lewis - WRU

Also in attendance:
Derek McGrath - ERC
Roger O'Connor - ERC
Robert Howat - SR
Steve Phillips - WRU
Nino Sacca - FIR

ERC Board directors not in attendance:
Andrea Rinaldo (FIR)
Regional Rugby Wales has chosen not to replace Stuart Gallacher as its Board director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next