The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Centre in Britain?

+44
Gretgael1
clivemcl
Engine#4
bedfordwelsh
quinsforever
Feckless Rogue
flankertye
SecretFly
EnglishReign
Chjw131
gregortree
BigTrevsbigmac
GoodinTightSpaces
BamBam
TJ
R!skysports
lostinwales
Geordie
Notch
geoff998rugby
Cyril
munkian
GloriousEmpire
kiakahaaotearoa
asoreleftshoulder
international197
king_carlos
MMaaxx
Jhamer25
GunsGerms
whocares
theslosty
maestegmafia
Looseheaded
rainbow-warrior
Scratch
ME-109
Nematode
Barney McGrew did it
majesticimperialman
LeinsterFan4life
No 7&1/2
HammerofThunor
RobLewis28
48 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best Centre in Britain? - Page 2 Empty Best Centre in Britain?

Post by RobLewis28 Sat 18 Jan 2014, 9:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

So putting it out there to you guys, if you could choose one centre from Britain right now who would you go for? Personally Jonathan Davies for me, great vision, great running game and solid in defence...

Honest thoughts?

RobLewis28

Back to top Go down

Best Centre in Britain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Centre in Britain?

Post by Cyril Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:38 am

munkian wrote:People are dismissing JD2 for his handling abaility then suggesting Tuilagi  ?

Do they not remember him fluffing an almost certain try for England against Wales last year ?

Least JD2 has a kicking game to speak of, seriously people, Manu is more 1 dimensional than Quagmire
These threads always descend into putting opposition players down and inventing weaknesses  Rolling Eyes

Manu isn't (yet) an all-round centre (and JD2 is ahead of him) but I think a lot of people underestimate his handling and offloading.

That bit in bold is a bit silly.

Last edited by Cyril on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:42 am

As an Irishman I'd take JD2 over Tuilagi any day.

Having said that Tuilagi is young enough to improve, but for here and now no contest

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:48 am

international197 wrote:Why isn't there a ROI National Rugby Union team and a NI National Rugby Union team; why do they play as one?

Because that would be terrible. Less craic, less breaking down of political and social barriers, less success for everyone in Ireland, less sustainable rugby competitions at every level, less boys on tour style jaunts to Dublin.

There was once a short period when Ulster and Ireland were rubbish at the same time (around 2007, 2008) where some trenchant unionist types used to stand in Ravenhill with a petition to partition the national team into two sides.

They got almost no signatures whatsoever and soon gave up.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:49 am

Tuilagi isnt helped by an absolute void of ability around him in the England side. But i dont think he's world class as some like to call him. His handling isnt what a top class centre should be.

Now in Elliott Daly (if we can nail him down to 13) we could potentially have one.

Is there any absolute top class centres in Britain at the moment?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:58 am

And there is always a problem with players who tend to produce great moments that when they dont its assumed they are instantly rubbish.

I dont want to get into the cross border slanging thing. I do think Manu is quite amazing and there isnt another British center who could have done what he did vs NZ in 2012. He is the best English center since Will Greenwood and if (and its a big IF as it would surprise me if he became increasingly injury prone) he has a decent long career will surpass Greenwood, despite the fact that he will never be as 'complete' as Greenwood was.

He is not at all a 'complete' player. He isnt a leader or a kicker. He spends far too much time in rucks when he could be much more dangerous away from them.

On the other hand he is always a threat, even when the England back line has been pants. His try scoring record for a center is very good. He is I think much more aware than he is given credit for given the number of interception tries he scores. He is very powerful and he has genuine pace, and is more than capable of hitting a gap when its there rather than the man. I think we are very lucky to have him.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:59 am

This is an INTERNATIONAL thread, not a club thread, hense I'm basing it on INTERNATIONAL form.

Tualigi is dangerous but has always looked very 1 dimensional in an England shirt.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:06 am

Well Matt Scott was considered by most pundits to be the best center in last years 6 nations - but has been injured, so may drop down the order

Of course as he is Scottish he will never get a look in anyway - so will now wonder off to make myself a cup of coffee

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:14 am

Ritchie Vernon!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:25 am

Lost in Wales...

In my opinion...Tuilagi isnt in the same league as Will Greenwood...but thats for another discussion.

Matt Scott indeed is given high praise. See how he goes this 6n.

JD2 certainly seems a quality player.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:44 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Lost in Wales...

In my opinion...Tuilagi isnt in the same league as Will Greenwood...but thats for another discussion.

JD2 certainly seems a quality player.

Greenwood was a wonderful player who could do everything. Tuilagi is just a weapon. But he is one hell of a weapon.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 20 Jan 2014, 11:19 am

There's not many who I would put in the same league as Greenwood to be fair, so no slight on Manu

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Mon 20 Jan 2014, 11:49 am

Best centre in Britain? – strictly speaking that means either JD, Manu or Roberts (or Croft, and maybe some or other Scots guy  Whistle) doesn’t it? Seems a rather provincial discussion. Anyway, it would be interesting to see who got the nod if both JD and Manu played for the same team. If it were for England they’d both play with JD at IC. If it was a straight contest for OC, I’d choose Manu, because altho JD arguably has superior footballing skills, few guys can do what Manu does when he’s on song.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 20 Jan 2014, 11:55 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Lost in Wales...

Unfortunately injured and unlikely to be really ready for this 6N. A great shame for scotland

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 20 Jan 2014, 11:58 am

I do wonder if Manu is held back by the gameplan? He really seems to simply be a bigger better Roberts. can he do more? I have stillto see it adn to become the best you need to look at BOD - who has been the best in the NH for a long time. He has it all. he can run straight and hard, he can sidestep. he has great vision and a fantastic set of skills. he also is great at rucking stealing the ball well.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 20 Jan 2014, 12:29 pm

TJ, comparing players to BOD is a bit unfair. He's a once-in-a-generation player in the NH.

Players don't have to have an all round skillset to be very good and effective international players.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm

TJ wrote:I do wonder if Manu is held back by the gameplan?  He really seems to simply be a bigger better Roberts.  can he do more?  I have stillto see it adn to become the best you need to look at BOD - who has been the best in the NH for a long time. He has it all.  he can run straight and hard, he can sidestep. he has great vision and a fantastic set of skills.  he also is great at rucking stealing the ball well.

Im sure Tuilagi is about 5'10 - 6'...Roberts about 6'4 - 6'5. which would put Roberts much bigger.

I think in Englands current set up Tuilagi is wasted as a battering ram. But with a distinct lack of creativity at 10 and 12 its a problem. Is Twelvetrees the answer? Is Ford the answer...? Who knows...but with a strike runner like Manu we need to get the best out of him.

Or we go for a smaller midfield...of say Eastmond and Daly that can create but might lack a bit of oomph...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Mon 20 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm

BOD aint british so thats him out of the running

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 20 Jan 2014, 12:56 pm

GoodinTightSpaces wrote:BOD aint british so thats him out of the running
Aye, I think we've established that Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 20 Jan 2014, 12:59 pm

What Manu seems to do sometimes is spend a while running into people then occasionally will step find a gap and be gone. Just because hes a big lad who is good at running into people doesnt mean that its all he does.

Roberts in attack does just seem to be about running into people - but then there is more of an offloading game and crucially there is his role in defense.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 20 Jan 2014, 1:01 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
TJ wrote:I do wonder if Manu is held back by the gameplan?  He really seems to simply be a bigger better Roberts.  can he do more?  I have stillto see it adn to become the best you need to look at BOD - who has been the best in the NH for a long time. He has it all.  he can run straight and hard, he can sidestep. he has great vision and a fantastic set of skills.  he also is great at rucking stealing the ball well.

Im sure Tuilagi is about 5'10 - 6'...Roberts about 6'4 - 6'5. which would put Roberts much bigger.
I think in Englands current set up Tuilagi is wasted as a battering ram. But with a distinct lack of creativity at 10 and 12 its a problem. Is Twelvetrees the answer? Is Ford the answer...? Who knows...but with a strike runner like Manu we need to get the best out of him.

Or we go for a smaller midfield...of say Eastmond and Daly that can create but might lack a bit of oomph...
According to the (100% reliable Wikipedia Wink) Manu is 6ft 1 and 17 stone 9 and Roberts is 6ft 4 and 17 stone 5.

Manu is the bigger unit with a lower centre of gravity. Who is quicker?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 20 Jan 2014, 1:05 pm

Cyril wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

According to the (100% reliable Wikipedia Wink) Manu is 6ft 1 and 17 stone 9 and Roberts is 6ft 4 and 17 stone 5.

Manu is the bigger unit with a lower centre of gravity. Who is quicker?

Has to be Manu. I cant say for sure but would imagine Roberts has slowed down with the injuries, so cant say how the version of a few years back would compare. You don't often actually see Manu get run down when he gets some space, but that may be due to the normal speed merchants preferring to avoid him.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 20 Jan 2014, 1:38 pm

Best centre RIGHT NOW .....probably Johnny May. Shocked 

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jan 2014, 2:11 pm

Define what a great centre should do?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 20 Jan 2014, 4:34 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Best centre RIGHT NOW .....probably Johnny May. Shocked 

A great 'emerging' centre right now, and time will tell in due course.
Until recently mainly played on the wing for Glos.
Look at his latest club effort Sunday, briilliant stepping.
His mazy step even induced 2 Perpignan defenders to tackle each other leaving himself a clean final run in.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 20 Jan 2014, 4:49 pm

James Simpson-Daniel.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon 20 Jan 2014, 5:36 pm

gregortree wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Best centre RIGHT NOW .....probably Johnny May. Shocked 

A great  'emerging' centre right now, and time will tell in due course.
Until recently mainly played on the wing for Glos.
Look at his latest club effort Sunday, briilliant stepping.
His mazy step even induced 2 Perpignan defenders to tackle each other leaving himself  a clean final run in.

He started at 13 and moved out to the wing - wasted skill set? Here's the try...those players knocking each other out gets me every time:

http://balls.ie/rugby/brilliant-breakaway-try-gloucesters-jonny-may/

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Jan 2014, 5:47 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Define what a great centre should do?

To be a great Centre?   Play the game in every and any department you can get your hands on.  Don't wait for your coached roleplay moments, think outside the structures of your team, outside the regimental box; ...seek out the game and influence it.  

In short - a great centre is a hole finder, a distributer of excellence, a fancy offloader, a player with pace when needed and guile when pace won't count, a rigid defender, a rampaging ground scrapper and ball stealer, a warrior who fights even lost causes to the end, stamina for the game at the highest level, greed to be the best, intelligence not to let greed get out of hand.  

Shorter still - O'Driscoll in his prime.  Turn up everywhere, not just where 13 duty expects you to be.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Mon 20 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm

Phil Vickery.

On a more serious note, Tuilagi when fit.
He has it all, pace, strength, step, hand off, load and a good pass believe it or not!
Luther Burell is also having one hell of a purple patch at the moment as well

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 20 Jan 2014, 7:01 pm

When the ABs tour, it's Conrad Smith.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 20 Jan 2014, 7:30 pm

Didn't O'Driscoll once have a poor kicking game a fairly average passing game? He was all about cutting through the defence with his superb acceleration and ability to evade tackles. But he worked very hard at improving aspects of his game that needed improving and became even better.

If Tuilagi and Davies have the same attitude to self improvement and evolving their game as the likes of an O'Driscoll or Wilkinson, then they'll work on their "poor hands" until it's no longer an issue. The best players become the best through hard work, practice and a strong mentality on top their talent.

I think Davies is Britains best. And see no bad attitude or anything that would prevent him from getting even better.

Can't argue with Conrad Smith being the best in Britain when he's physically in Britain.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 20 Jan 2014, 7:51 pm

J Davies might be the best - but is he not injured thus out of the reckoning?

Twelvetrees?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 20 Jan 2014, 7:53 pm

Burrell. The rest are has-beens or injured.

now i am certainly in a minority of 1.

post 6N twill be a different story.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:02 pm

Interesting...so you think Burrell will announce himself on the international stage with some brilliant performances?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm

TJ wrote:J Davies might be the best - but is he not injured thus out of the reckoning?

Twelvetrees?

He's been named in the squad and likely to be back towards end of tournament but is it worth risking him that late into tournament.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm

i certainly hope so. obviously he needs to get picked first. but yes i do. he gains yards, hard yards, and 12T just doesnt.

if we get burrell into the side now he could be there for the next 5 years. he's like a tindall but a bit bigger, quicker, and smarter (jury's out on better looking)

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm

"he's like Tindall" is hardly a recommendation is it? You mean he is a donkey who drink drives? Slow with no pass?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:18 pm

TJ wrote:"he's like Tindall" is hardly a recommendation is it?  You mean he is a donkey who drink drives?  Slow with no pass?
can toss small people long distances. is going to be a valuable skill against the scots backline Wink Hug 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:19 pm

Where's the "saucer of cream" smilie!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:25 pm

haha.

i know tindall is an acquired taste. but burrell is quicker, 10kg heavier, picks good attacking lines, and could really unleash a fit manu outside him (those clever rugby league hands and offloads) once fit.

i think its a partnership for the next 5-7 years.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:22 pm

Davies for me is currently head and shoulders above Tuilagi. Much more rounded player.  However, Tuilagi has a bit more of an x-factor about him in my opinion. He's a bit like a young Nonu in some ways - hugely explosive and occasionally tries to do too much by himself either by trying to burst though or hitting rucks when there are forwards nearby who can do that job. He could mature to become an immensely and consistently effective player for England. Wouldn't have him over Davies currently though.

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:31 pm

JD2 - 40 caps 9 tries
Manu 24 caps 11 tries

Just sayin..

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:40 pm

Manusamoa Tuilagi can't be included in this debate as he's not British.. Run 

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:44 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Manusamoa Tuilagi can't be included in this debate as he's not British.. Run 

nor is about a third of the English team...

Last edited by ME-109 on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:51 pm

nor is about half the ABs and wallabies

so england have a ways to go yet before they can hope to get to 1 or 2.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:55 pm

quinsforever wrote:nor is about half the ABs and wallabies

http://www.nzrugbyworld.co.nz/features/161/plunder-in-the-pacific

Disgraceful really, but to some extent all rugby nations are exploiting the market

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 20 Jan 2014, 11:04 pm

Scratch wrote:
quinsforever wrote:nor is about half the ABs and wallabies

http://www.nzrugbyworld.co.nz/features/161/plunder-in-the-pacific

Disgraceful really, but to some extent all rugby nations are exploiting the market
"There were 120 players at the World Cup who were either born in the Islands or considered themselves Pacific Islanders: that’s 20 per cent of all the players drawn from three tiny island nations whose combined population is barely a million." is that true?!? that is incredible.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 20 Jan 2014, 11:13 pm

No reason to believe it isn;t though NZ journalism is not the finest in the world such an important stat must be factual….puts what NZ have achieved in perspective and I wonder if Samoa had the money and structure that NZ have what they could have achieved but NZ have farmed that field so effectively for years and now the other unions are getting on board.

It goes to show that rugby is now a global business like any other and there are few barriers to entry for quality players to move to there the money is, in Europe we are seeing France do the same and Wales structures are failing as a result. Rugby is following football and in years to come the name of a club will have no bearing not he constituent players, the knock on effect on national standards will be hard to measure but it seems obvious to me that if the grassroots are eroded by the market as they have been in the Pacific islands then the national sides will suffer

Staggering to me though that this dirty open secret is now a stated aim of a rugby union but the players are just commodities.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 20 Jan 2014, 11:23 pm

Scratch wrote:No reason to believe it isn;t though NZ journalism is not the finest in the world such an important stat must be factual….puts what NZ have achieved in perspective and I wonder if Samoa had the money and structure that NZ have what they could have achieved but NZ have farmed that field so effectively for years and now the other unions are getting on board.

It goes to show that rugby is now a global business like any other and there are few barriers to entry for quality players to move to there the money is, in Europe we are seeing France do the same and Wales structures are failing as a result. Rugby is following football and in years to come the name of a club will have no bearing not he constituent players, the knock on effect on national standards will be hard to measure but it seems obvious to me that if the grassroots are eroded by the market as they have been in the Pacific islands then the national sides will suffer

Staggering to me though that this dirty open secret is now a stated aim of a rugby union but the players are just commodities.
If Noa Nakataci proves to be a success then we should expect to see loads of Islanders line out for France in the coming years. Clermont already have an academy over in Fiji and its only a matter of time before the other Top 14 teams and other teams from around the world do the same.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 20 Jan 2014, 11:42 pm

sarries already have an academy there too i believe

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 21 Jan 2014, 12:00 am

Riskysports wrote:Well Matt Scott was considered by most pundits to be the best center in last years 6 nations - but has been injured, so may drop down the order

Of course as he is Scottish he will never get a look in anyway - so will now wonder off to make myself a cup of coffee

Manu Tuilagi has been injured and wasn't considered that great last season.

It's BS opinion.

Matt Scott is a fine player, of the English lads I would have thought Twelvetrees would rank higher than the injured Tuilagi.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next