The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOF Idea

+6
MIG
Bluebird_ccfc
Dolphin Ziggler
Kay Fabe
Gregers
Kid Vicious
10 posters

Go down

HOF Idea Empty HOF Idea

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:43 am

This has probably been suggested before, but up amongst those "announcement & sticky" subjects why not have a "606 Wrestling Hall of Fame?"
You could start it off by automatically inducting the obvious like Hogan, Savage, Flair, Hart, Michaels and Austin and then every two weeks, whoever takes charge of the thread nominates a potential new inductee which we all vote on. After two weeks they're either in or not, and a further potential inductee is put forward for us to vote on.

Thoughts?!

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

HOF Idea Empty Re: HOF Idea

Post by Gregers Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:49 am

Maybe run it like the excellent Boxing and Cricket ones?

Does the wrestler have to be retired to go in (i.e. Taker probably should go in)

The obvious initial 10 should be:
Hulk Hogan
Ric Flair
Bret Hart
Shawn Michaels
Big Daddy
Giant Haystacks
Steve Austin
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
The nWo
Roddy Piper

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:59 am

There should maybe be a couple of rules for eligibility. Being retired makes sense. I'd say retired from in-ring activity in the top two promotions for at least two years (then we know they're not likely to come back). And then have a cut off point - they have to get 80%/70%/60% of the vote to get in.

I'll come up with the eligibility rules if needed, but I'm more than happy to just put the thought out there!

My biggest suggestion would be to keep the thread a slow burner. An initial 10 go in. And then at timely intervals one single wrestler or tag team is nominated. Once a week or every two weeks. Not a case of "these 10 are in, lets take a vote on these 10!" and it all be over in a couple of days.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:04 pm

80% vote to go in

10 in to start

Then 4 nominations each month going alphabetically?

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:09 pm

I like it!

But so I know I'm on the same page, when you say 4 nominations alphabetically, you mean that if say Savage, Michaels, Hart and Edge were upcoming, week one would be Bret Hart, week two Edge, etc, rather than "the four nominations this month are Abdullah the Butcher, Akeem, Arn Anderson and Ax" and it take forever to get to Z-Man Tom Zenk?!

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:21 pm

Another rule. If they don't make it in, they can't get nominated again until at least the start of the next calendar year?

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:29 pm

I like that, cant renominate until after next WM? Then its linked to the wrestling world

I was going to suggest going A-Z but just going random ones would be good. 

Nominations for initial 10 will be done first, culminating in our own HOF opening the night before WM30? How does that sound?

Then do 4 nominations a month

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:05 pm

Gregers wrote:Maybe run it like the excellent Boxing and Cricket ones?

Does the wrestler have to be retired to go in (i.e. Taker probably should go in)

Hulk Hogan
Ric Flair
Bret Hart
Shawn Michaels
Big Daddy
Giant Haystacks
Steve Austin
The nWo
Roddy Piper

I wouldn't say that initial 10 was obvious, Randy Savage, Bruno Sammartino and Andre the Giant would likely figure in a lot of peoples obvious catagory

Possibly many might consider the following as more obvious selections:  Bob Backlund for his 5+ year WW (W) F reign in the late 70s early 80s, you also had The Sheik who was the top draw in America for 5 straight years in the late 60s early 70s, even the first year he wasn't the top draw (1974) he was the second top draw, Buddy Rodgers was the top draw for 3 straight years in the mid 60s, on his fourth year he was the second top draw of the year despite having his last match that year way back in May,  Lou Thesz dominated the 50s, he was the top draw in 6 of the first 8 years of the 50s

Despite personal preference, I truly don't think the likes of the nWo, Bret Hart or even The Rock (despite his immense popularity) would be deserving of an 'obvious' top 10 spot before the others mentioned, I also wouldn't have Big Daddy or Haystacks near it either despite what they both did for British Wrestling in the 60s and 70s, that's just me though, what I'm saying is thr obvious 10 isn't I believe truly obvious.

Last edited by Kay Fabe on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:11 pm

I also wouldnt say in-ring retirement is necessary. You will only have done a hell of a body of work to get in, so it shouldnt matter that Flair might pop in or Taker is still going

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:27 pm

Gregers wrote:I like that, cant renominate until after next WM? Then its linked to the wrestling world

I was going to suggest going A-Z but just going random ones would be good. 

Nominations for initial 10 will be done first, culminating in our own HOF opening the night before WM30? How does that sound?

Then do 4 nominations a month

I like the time frame, yes. Sounds perfect.
Between now and then everyone who wanted to could vote for 1 wrestler, subject to eligibility conditions (which we can also put to a vote) to be inducted. The top 10 go in automatically and then the rest, and any glaring omissions put forward on a week by week or (two week by two week, whatever is more convenient) basis.

Techies/Mods, how can we make this happen?!

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:30 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I also wouldnt say in-ring retirement is necessary. You will only have done a hell of a body of work to get in, so it shouldnt matter that Flair might pop in or Taker is still going

I'd agree with the likes of Taker and Flair, but what if a poster boy gets nominated? Daniel Bryan for example. Sure, he'll be HOF worthy one day, but my guess is the fanboys on here would vote him in now. Which would be ridiculous.

If we go with Gregers idea of a WM timeframe, there's plenty of time to put every decision to a vote. That way it's a HOF created by 606 for 606.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:40 pm

I'd say any nominee who hasn't already retired would need to have made their debut at least 20 years ago, that would rule out the likes of CM Punk and Daniel Bryan, it would leave the door open for guys like HHH, Undertaker and Sting, guys who still occassionally Wrestle but have the history and longevity to be a viable option.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:46 pm

Totally agree Kayfabe. It's got to be treated with some common sense.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:53 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:
Gregers wrote:Maybe run it like the excellent Boxing and Cricket ones?

Hulk Hogan
Ric Flair
Bret Hart
Shawn Michaels
Big Daddy
Giant Haystacks
Steve Austin
The nWo
Roddy Piper

I wouldn't say that initial 10 was obvious, Randy Savage, Bruno Sammartino and Andre the Giant would likely figure in a lot of peoples obvious catagory

Possibly many might consider the following as more obvious selections:  Bob Backlund for his 5+ year WW (W) F reign in the late 70s early 80s, you also had The Sheik who was the top draw in America for 5 straight years in the late 60s early 70s, even the first year he wasn't the top draw (1974) he was the second top draw, Buddy Rodgers was the top draw for 3 straight years in the mid 60s, on his fourth year he was the second top draw of the year despite having his last match that year way back in May,  Lou Thesz dominated the 50s, he was the top draw in 6 of the first 8 years of the 50s

Despite personal preference, I truly don't think the likes of the nWo, Bret Hart or even The Rock (despite his immense popularity) would be deserving of an 'obvious' top 10 spot before the others mentioned, I also wouldn't have Big Daddy or Haystacks near it either despite what they both did for British Wrestling in the 60s and 70s, that's just me though, what I'm saying is thr obvious 10 isn't I believe truly obvious.

Read it as "my obvious intial top 10"

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 24 Jan 2014, 3:03 pm

I would have read it like that if you hasn't put "should be"

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 24 Jan 2014, 3:28 pm

My bad although its a bit pernickety of you

"I think the initial 10, based on nothing but personal preference and who I could think of at my desk at lunch, should be"

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 24 Jan 2014, 3:45 pm

I also think that the majority here would, if taking it seriously, immediately destroy AntLord were he to put someone stupid or a poster boy in

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 3:46 pm

LOL

I think we shouldn't be biased by our personal preferences and be fair to each era. It'd be boring to pick 10 guys like Thesz, Gotch and Rogers, but then it would also be wrong to straight up pick 10 guys from the Rock-n-Wrestling Golden Era whilst ignoring more recent wrestlers that would qualify subject to our qualifying criteria.

Maybe after the first 10 go in and we get down to 4 per month, we should make sure at least 1 in 8 is nominated from an era that's not of the typical writer on here's childhood. i.e., pre 1980's boom.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 24 Jan 2014, 4:06 pm

Gregers wrote:My bad although its a bit pernickety of you

"I think the initial 10, based on nothing but personal preference and who I could think of at my desk at lunch, should be"

Not pernickety in the slightest, I read it as you felt those 10 should kick it off, I simply disagreed based on what I felt wasn't automatic obvious selections

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebird_ccfc Fri 24 Jan 2014, 4:44 pm

What would happen if it was a tag team, for example, could LOD be classed as one or would hawk and animal have to be put in seperately?
Bluebird_ccfc
Bluebird_ccfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 24 Jan 2014, 4:51 pm

Bluebird_ccfc wrote:What would happen if it was a tag team, for example, could LOD be classed as one or would hawk and animal have to be put in seperately?

I would suggest they would be one entity if we inducted LOD, although obviously for tag teams like the Hart Foundation then we may have "The Hart Foundation" as one HOF entrant and then Bret, Stu, Owen etc as entrants in their own right

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Fri 24 Jan 2014, 4:57 pm

I like this idea.

So how would the first 10 be decided? Would a mass poll of say 30-50 classic/obvious/legend wrestlers be put up and the top ten voted for get inducted first?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 24 Jan 2014, 4:59 pm

Maybe 30 nominations, each with a piece written about them. People then vote for the 10 they want?

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 5:08 pm

But how could 50 be diplomatically picked to begin with?
My opinion is that everyone gets one vote for one superstar subject to qualifying criteria. The 10 with the most votes are the initial inductees. 5 votes minimum.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Fri 24 Jan 2014, 5:19 pm

Didn't we pick our top 25 wrestler a while? If so the top 10 of that list could be a good starting point
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 5:24 pm

Even easier!

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:57 pm

Is this idea getting picked up seems a good plan.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:17 pm

I'd love to see this implemented and like the criteria described so far.

Would users want a separate forum at the top of the Wrestling page, or to just have a Sticky topic that is changed each fortnight?

If there is a top 25 list, I would suggest condensing that to those which meet the criteria and then voting for the 10 inductees from that. HOF and best wrestler is not quite the same thing (more criteria, such as impact on business) so a vote may change the top 10 slightly.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:41 pm

What about each pick ten, with the criteria being 2 wrestlers who made their name in a particular decade up until 2000? (So 2 from 50's, 2 from 60's, 2 from 70's etc). Reckon there will be a lot of similar selection for 50's, 60's and 70's which will make it easier to select them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 30 Jan 2014, 3:15 pm

Enforcer wrote:I'd love to see this implemented and like the criteria described so far.

Would users want a separate forum at the top of the Wrestling page, or to just have a Sticky topic that is changed each fortnight?

If there is a top 25 list, I would suggest condensing that to those which meet the criteria and then voting for the 10 inductees from that. HOF and best wrestler is not quite the same thing (more criteria, such as impact on business) so a vote may change the top 10 slightly.

Could it be set up in sections all under a HOF banner? You could have the Hall itself; a list of the names that have been inducted. Then a page where the current "who's next in vote" is taking place. Oh, and one for the rules of eligibility. Is that realistically feasible?

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 30 Jan 2014, 3:21 pm

K-PX0110 wrote:What about each pick ten, with the criteria being 2 wrestlers who made their name in a particular decade up until 2000? (So 2 from 50's, 2 from 60's, 2 from 70's etc). Reckon there will be a lot of similar selection for 50's, 60's and 70's which will make it easier to select them.

The trouble with going so far back is there's names that'll be missed. Frank Gotch, Ed Lewis and Lou Thesz should be in any Wrestling Hall of Fame, but would you want them as the first inductees? They shouldn't be ignored of course, but my thought is that if you want it off to a flier, then Hall of Fame inductee #1 should be someone as obvious as Hulk Hogan, and then let the rest slowly filter in.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Thu 30 Jan 2014, 6:50 pm

Really like this idea, it could also be interesting for people in the know to write articles outlining the credentials of each entrant, I'm sure there's plenty of us that won't have followed or taken an interested in wrestling from certain era's. For example I know who Lou Thresz is but couldn't tell you what he achieved.

We could all do with a little education and this could produce some really great articles to support the entrants inclusion in the HOF.

Can't wait to see it get underway, great shout kid V!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 31 Jan 2014, 9:15 am

Sweet! I look forward to seeing it up.
I'm happy to lend a hand if needed.
Very Happy

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 14 Apr 2014, 12:41 pm

Shall we start this?