The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bring One Fighter Back

+21
Atila
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
Lance
TopHat24/7
Soldier_Of_Fortune
milkyboy
Mayweathers cellmate
tommyhearnsprodigalson
hogey
Hammersmith harrier
huw
John Bloody Wayne
Rowley
Rodney
Lumbering_Jack
ShahenshahG
Izzi
captain carrantuohil
catchweight
hazharrison
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bring One Fighter Back Empty Bring One Fighter Back

Post by hazharrison Fri 07 Feb 2014, 12:43 pm

If you could resurrect one fighter from history and set them away in 2014, who would you pick and why?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Bring One Fighter Back Empty Re: Bring One Fighter Back

Post by catchweight Fri 07 Feb 2014, 12:51 pm

Would have to be a heavyweight, lord knows the sport needs one.

Presume the fighter doesnt have to be dead to be "resurrected" but I would go with Tyson, Ali or Louis.

Maybe Louis just or the satisfaction of showing everyone how he deals with the modern bums and end the ridiculous arguments that he couldnt compete today.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Feb 2014, 12:51 pm

Peter Jackson...grace, dignity, class and imperious boxing skills.
Sadly he'd likely be a CW and would be more unappreciated than when he was originally alive but we'd undoubtedly have some great "ducking" arguments on here.

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 07 Feb 2014, 12:57 pm

Just one? Ezzard Charles then, since he would set an examination far too severe for most current heavyweights to pass, while simultaneously making matchsticks of the 175 lb division and generally raising the standard both of boxing and personal conduct within the sport.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 07 Feb 2014, 12:58 pm

How about letting Jack Dempsey loose among these heavyweights. A quick hook-up with Alex Ariza would pack on a few stones of lean muscle and we'd have a 200-odd lb Manny Pacquiao!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:06 pm

Gene Tunney or Greb. If only to smash this notion that RJJ was a 'great'.

Gatti. Could you imagine how much fun a fight with Rios would be?

Chuvalo. Would walk through Wlad and make him urine his pants after he knocks him into row 9. Scary, scary chin that man had

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:07 pm

P.s. I would like to bring the first two back to 2000. Not the article title but sod it.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:07 pm

Duran, show the tougher men of today that power and granite chins doesn't mean you can do without defense or ring intelligence.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:12 pm

SRR vs Floyd Mayweather - biggest fighter EVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:14 pm

DAVE667 wrote:SRR vs Floyd Mayweather - biggest fighter EVER never to happen

Fixed it for you

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:15 pm

DAVE667 wrote:SRR vs Floyd Mayweather - biggest fighter EVER

To not go ahead......

Breaking the record set by Mayweather v Pacquiao

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:18 pm

It wouldn't happen...

I wouldn't bring back a heavyweight. After Ali/Louis/Tyson had obliterated Wlad they would have nothing left to fight. I'd like to bring RJJ back. Tremendous fighter with some great match ups at LHW and SMW just now. For what it's worth I'd back him to beat them all. Despite what Izzi says he is a great fighter.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:21 pm

A thriving heavyweight scene sparks great interest , as it's my favourite division , someone like Jack Dempsey or a raging Mike Tyson would be my pick, a terryfying machine ripping pieces of the Klitschkos anatomy to shreds.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:22 pm

Come on people, are we bringing them back for mythical match ups or just to prove that the fad of ducking would continue?

Hagler v GGG at MW or would that one never get off the ground either

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:23 pm

Kovalev kills him.

Saad Muhammed.. Now could you imagine what a fight that'd be with Kovalev?!!?

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:24 pm

Apart from my obvious sentimental pick of Burley would love to bring back Benny Leonard, would finally put to bed this myth that it is not until we invented colour TV that fighters learned to fight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:26 pm

Would all these old timers have to fight in B&W with the rematch in colour?

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:33 pm

Hearns, as I genuinely believe he would knockout EVERYBODY from light welter to middleweight, most super middles and plenty of light heavies.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:35 pm

If my favourite fighter returned and began to use Twitter, I think I'd have pay someone to blow his limbs off.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:37 pm

Sam Langford just to see how a smaller heavy from the past could possibly put the end to todays super heavies by showing skill can beat size.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:38 pm

Jones would make Kovalev look like a clown like he does everyone else in the 175lb division. Anyone who not only beats Toney and Hopkins but makes them look average must be great to a degree.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:40 pm

The scary thing is in todays boxing environment with the lotions, potions and guru's and weigh in periods guys like Hagler might well be able to make welterweight and Hearns could have stayed at welterweight longer. It would be brutal.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:42 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Hearns, as I genuinely believe he would knockout EVERYBODY from light welter to middleweight, most super middles and plenty of light heavies.

Agree he would KO Floyd, Manny, Cotto, Garcia, Bradley, Maidana, Froch, and almost all the others and still be home for tea and medals, but for the mad level of competition around when he was at his peak and the time of Robinson he could have dominated in almost any era.

Last edited by hogey on Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:42 pm

Don't see what's wrong with twitter really. Hearns, Hagler, Tyson, Holyfield and many other legends use it.

I find the name calling stupid, but that's down to the individuals using it wrong rather than twitter itself.

You're probably jelous because you have less than 2million followers.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:43 pm

Robinson VS Leonard would make it look like a poor undercard fight mate.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:45 pm

hearns vs mayweather would be epic!!

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:46 pm

hogey wrote:

You're welcome to your opinion dear chap...but you're wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:47 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Jones would make Kovalev look like a clown like he does everyone else in the 175lb division. Anyone who not only beats Toney and Hopkins but makes them look average must be great to a degree.

And he beat them at middleweight and super middleweight. His record at LHW doesn't sparkle with ATGs in their prime. And let's not forget he got spanked by Tarver and Johnson when he was still in his prime, hadn't faced that calibre at the weight.

Not a top 10 at the weight and you can be as quick and nimble as you like, a top LHW will find a way through and his weak chin then crumbles like apple crumble in a cement mixer.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:49 pm

With 24 hour weigh ins Hearns could start his career at 140. Hearns v Khan would be unwatchable.

He was at his best at 154, but in today's climate he could probably achieve that at welter. The Hearns that obliterated Duran against a modern day welterweight? Even Floyd would be holding back tears while waking up from nightmares after fighting that.

I'd like to see Orlando Canizales just for his moustache.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:50 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Hearns, as I genuinely believe he would knockout EVERYBODY from light welter to middleweight, most super middles and plenty of light heavies.

Disagree above WW, chin wasn't the greatest. To say "everyone" is fairly wide of the mark, to say the least.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:54 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:With 24 hour weigh ins Hearns could start his career at 140. Hearns v Khan would be unwatchable.

He was at his best at 154, but in today's climate he could probably achieve that at welter. The Hearns that obliterated Duran against a modern day welterweight? Even Floyd would be holding back tears while waking up from nightmares after fighting that.

I'd like to see Orlando Canizales just for his moustache.

Schaefers polls would be "who do boxing fans want to see murdered next"

A. Khan
B. Maidana

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:00 pm

Izzi wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Jones would make Kovalev look like a clown like he does everyone else in the 175lb division. Anyone who not only beats Toney and Hopkins but makes them look average must be great to a degree.

And he beat them at middleweight and super middleweight. His record at LHW doesn't sparkle with ATGs in their prime. And let's not forget he got spanked by Tarver and Johnson when he was still in his prime, hadn't faced that calibre at the weight.

Not a top 10 at the weight and you can be as quick and nimble as you like, a top LHW will find a way through and his weak chin then crumbles like apple crumble in a cement mixer.

Since when was any fighter at his peak at 35, Virgil Hill is a better boxer than any of the current lot and was dealt with with ease.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:03 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Izzi wrote:

Since when was any fighter at his peak at 35, Virgil Hill is a better boxer than any of the current lot and was dealt with with ease.

The same Hill who lost to Michalcewski in his fight before, a guy RJJ wouldn't face?

And 35. Bhop, Martinez, Wlad.. Could go on silly billy.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:04 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
hogey wrote:

You're welcome to your opinion dear chap...but you're wrong

furious steam Laugh 

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:05 pm

Izzi wrote:

Disagree above WW, chin wasn't the greatest. To say "everyone" is fairly wide of the mark, to say the least.

I know it's brave, but I don't see any 154 fighters that live with him. Alvarez is too stationary, gets decapitated. Cotto, just no. Lara's style is wrong, you don't outbox Hearns, although I give him the biggest chance of landing something.

At 160 Sergio, like Lara, is a backfoot boxer and I just don't see ajnybody doing anything but being peppered with the jab on the backfoot. Golovkin has the right style, and if he landed clean it would be a KO, but he's not done enough to convince me yet.

Froch is too open to a right hand and too slow. Groves doesn't have the chin. Ward would break him down though.

Kovalev I think takes him out. Adonis might, but his counter punchy style could work against him.

Keep in mind that Hearns wouldn't be taking the heavy losses to Leonard and Hagler, so he'd stay fresher for longer.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:11 pm

Ward is the only one who i would give an even chance of beating Hearns he is big skilfull and strong enough to handle anyone. I think he would KO Stevenson inside 3 rounds and completely outboxes Kovelev 7 out of 10 for me, maybe gets starched in the other 3 though.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:14 pm

First insult on the thread at little over 30 responses. Good to see Hampo's thread the other day has worked wonders for your collective self restraint. Just so you are all aware, I am pretty busy this afternoon and banning people takes less time than deleting posts.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:16 pm

Rowley wrote:First insult on the thread at little over 30 responses. Good to see Hampo's thread the other day has worked wonders for your collective self restraint. Just so you are all aware, I am pretty busy this afternoon and banning people takes less time than deleting posts.

There is a simple reason for the lack of insults being bandied about and it's more to do with someone's absence than the warning thread.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:17 pm

What insult is that mate ?

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:18 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
Izzi wrote:

I know it's brave, but I don't see any 154 fighters that live with him. Alvarez is too stationary, gets decapitated. Cotto, just no. Lara's style is wrong, you don't outbox Hearns, although I give him the biggest chance of landing something.

At 160 Sergio, like Lara, is a backfoot boxer and I just don't see ajnybody doing anything but being peppered with the jab on the backfoot. Golovkin has the right style, and if he landed clean it would be a KO, but he's not done enough to convince me yet.

Froch is too open to a right hand and too slow. Groves doesn't have the chin. Ward would break him down though.

Kovalev I think takes him out. Adonis might, but his counter punchy style could work against him.

Keep in mind that Hearns wouldn't be taking the heavy losses to Leonard and Hagler, so he'd stay fresher for longer.
Unless someone (just like me) decides to bring them back and then Tommy gets annihilated all over again!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:19 pm

Rocky Marciano - he would really light up the CW division.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:19 pm

Wasn't you hogey. To be fair was not a particularly big insult but the ones that start things rarely are.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm

no-one bringing ali back? Surely the sport needs not only a great fighter, but someone with great charisma

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:29 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:
Izzi wrote:

Unless someone (just like me) decides to bring them back and then Tommy gets annihilated all over again!!!!!!!!

Bar Steward! Don't make me bring back Dickie Ecklund.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:29 pm

milkyboy wrote:no-one bringing ali back? Surely the sport needs not only a great fighter, but someone with great charisma

We got Froch for that nowadays  Whistle 

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:29 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Don't see what's wrong with twitter really. Hearns, Hagler, Tyson, Holyfield and many other legends use it.

I find the name calling stupid, but that's down to the individuals using it wrong rather than twitter itself.

You're probably jelous because you have less than 2million followers.

#rodneyisamiserablesod
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:33 pm

How about Langford, he could fight in any division he wanted and we could find out whether he was as great as many believe or not.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:33 pm

Rowley wrote:First insult on the thread at little over 30 responses. Good to see Hampo's thread the other day has worked wonders for your collective self restraint. Just so you are all aware, I am pretty busy this afternoon and banning people takes less time than deleting posts.

What post was it? Was it my silly billy reference? It was wrapped in jovial love!

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:35 pm

hogey wrote:How about Langford, he could fight in any division he wanted and we could find out whether he was as great as many believe or not.  

I'd imagine with modern nutrition and some of Mannys/RJJs special training regimes he'd blitz everyone.

That is assuming cameras were as primitive as they were back then, otherwise he really is just a slow plodder and gets massacred.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm

milkyboy wrote:no-one bringing ali back? Surely the sport needs not only a great fighter, but someone with great charisma

Once was enough wasn't it? Colin Hart's knees couldn't take it.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next