The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T20 world cup and Asia Cup--Raina and Ishant dropped

4 posters

Go down

T20 world cup and Asia Cup--Raina and Ishant dropped Empty T20 world cup and Asia Cup--Raina and Ishant dropped

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:42 am

Hmm.....some benefit of Srinivasan coming under pressure.....Raina and Ishant gone.....Pujara is in.

Raina out of Asia Cup squad

Suresh Raina has been left out of India's squad for the forthcoming Asia Cup. The batsman, however, is a part of the team for the World Twenty20.

Cheteshwar Pujara has been included in the Asia Cup squad, while Ishant Sharma has been excluded from both teams.

India squad for Asia Cup: MS Dhoni (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ambati Rayudu, Ajinkya Rahane, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Varun Aaron, Stuart Binny, Amit Mishra, Ishwar Pandey

India squad for World Twenty20 MS Dhoni (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Yuvraj Singh, Ajinkya Rahane, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Stuart Binny, Amit Mishra, Mohit Sharma, Varun Aaron

More to follow
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

T20 world cup and Asia Cup--Raina and Ishant dropped Empty Re: T20 world cup and Asia Cup--Raina and Ishant dropped

Post by skyeman Tue 11 Feb 2014, 11:14 am

A few had kind words about James Muirheads recent performances and potential and now he is in the Aussies T20 WC squad. Will watch with interest.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

T20 world cup and Asia Cup--Raina and Ishant dropped Empty Re: T20 world cup and Asia Cup--Raina and Ishant dropped

Post by msp83 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 11:39 am

Good job from the selectors. Ishant and Raina needed to go and go they did. Binny is someone I am not convinced about, but ones he was selected for the New Zealand series, it is only fair that he's given a decent chance to prove himself one way or the other. Besides, he scored a rapid ton for Karnataka against Rest of India in the ongoing Irani Cup game. Binny is not a bat pick in T-20s anyway.
And good to see Cheteshwar Pujara getting selected in the ODI side. Will be interesting as to where would he bat. Rohit Sharma should find the flat tracks in Bangladesh to his liking, and he has been a downright disaster as a middle order player. Perhaps they should have Pujara in at 4 with India's best ever ODI number 3 continuing there despite him being capable of batting 4 as well.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Feb 2014, 1:19 pm

msp83 wrote:Good job from the selectors. Ishant and Raina needed to go and go they did. Binny is someone I am not convinced about, but ones he was selected for the New Zealand series, it is only fair that he's given a decent chance to prove himself one way or the other. Besides, he scored a rapid ton for Karnataka against Rest of India in the ongoing Irani Cup game. Binny is not a bat pick in T-20s anyway.
And good to see Cheteshwar Pujara getting selected in the ODI side. Will be interesting as to where would he bat. Rohit Sharma should find the flat tracks in Bangladesh to his liking, and he has been a downright disaster as a middle order player. Perhaps they should have Pujara in at 4 with India's best ever ODI number 3 continuing there despite him being capable of batting 4 as well.

Pujara is best suited in  the top 3...but he can bat at No. 4

rahane is also suited for top-3

Rohit should be dropped to middle order to accommodate Rahane and / or Pujara to open.

Binnny is a good middle order fit( say No. 6 or 7) for both ODIs and T20s
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:13 pm

Excellent work from the selectors. If only they had gotten rid of Rahane and Ashwin too, I'd have probably developed some serious manlove towards them but I'd settle for this for now, I think.
Hopefully, Pujara will play and not Rahane. I'd open with him and drop Rohit down to 5. He has done well at 5 in the past, its number 4 where he has struggled miserably. Rayudu should be given a run at 4.
Good to see Aaron being persisted with too.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:15 pm

Shikhar
Che
Virat
Rayudu
Nohit
MSD (c-wk)
Jadeja
Mishra
Bhuvi
Aaron
Shami

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:25 pm

Shanky, Rohit was either miserable or just about OK in the middle order, he has really performed only at the top at a level anywhere close to the international....... I don't think they'll separate Shikhar and him as yet. So Pujara's position should be found elsewhere. It has to be 3 or 4. Virat Kohli is suited for both, Cheteshwar is more of 3 than 4, but then Virat has been the best ever number 3 India have had.
As Pujara is there to provide the batting much greater solidity, I would actually consider Binny in place of Rayudu and Rahane. The latter hasn't taken his chances, the former, somehow doesn't really convince me. I am no fan of Binny and doesn't share the faith that KPF has in his abilities. But if he comes off, then that'll be great. Will give the side an additional bowling option, and can bat 6 or 7 and smash some real quick runs. MSD should just bat 5, and following Jadeja's improved showing with the bat in NZ, he should be batting 6/7.
I wouldn't mind Mishra for Ashwin, but I am not sure that's going to make a significant difference, and I doubt the management will anyways drop Ashwin.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:28 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:T20s

Shikhar
Nohit
Virat
MSD (c-wk)
Yuvi
Raina
Binny
Jadeja
Mishra
Bhuvi
Shami
Not at all sure about that bowling lineup. With only 2 seamers and Binny? Jadeja will be my first choice spinner in all formats for now, but his T-20I record isn't great, and I would rather have him as the 5th bowler. I would look at another seamer in place of Binny or Raina in the side.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:44 pm

Msp, why are you so down on Rayudu? He has played only 6 ODIs (5 innings). Let him have a fair run. If we can give Rahane 22 ODIs, Rayudu should at least get 10.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:46 pm

Rahane has been treated by Dhoni with grudge....forced into difficult situations and bad positions and dropped without a run.

Rahane should not be dropped before giving him a chance to bat in top-3 ( just like Rohit was given)
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:50 pm

my XI for ODis :

1) Rahane
2) Dhawan
3) Pujara
4) Kohli ( his game is such that he can easily adapt to No.4)
5) Rayadu
6) Dhoni
7) Binny
8) Jadeja
9) Zaheer
10) shami
11) aaron
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:54 pm

3 seamers in t20 in B'desh? Our seamers haven't even delivered in SA and NZ. I think our part timers and dibbly dobbers like Binny would do better.

Although if Aaron bowls well in the ODIs, I won't mind picking him for the WT20. But won't pick an extra seamer for the sake of it. Our part timers should do ok in these conditions.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:00 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:3 seamers in t20 in B'desh? Dhoni could not get our seamers to deliver  even in SA and NZ.
I think our part timers and dibbly dobbers like Binny would do better.

Although if Aaron bowls well in the ODIs, I won't mind picking him for the WT20. But won't pick an extra seamer for the sake of it. Our part timers should do ok in these conditions.

see correction Re: seamers

also I have named the ODI team not T20

Last edited by KP_fan on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:00 pm

KP_fan wrote:my XI for ODis :

1) Rahane
2) Dhawan
3) Pujara
4) Kohli ( his game is such that he can easily adapt to No.4)
5) Rayadu
6) Dhoni
7) Binny
8) Jadeja
9) Zaheer
10) shami
11) aaron
I'm not a fan of Rohit and if someone like Tiwary was fit and in good form, I wouldn't even have picked him but to pick Rahane ahead of him despite Rohit clearly outperforming him in NZ??
Rahane's first 16 ODIs came as an opener and his record there is no better than in the middle order.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:03 pm

shanky wrote:I'm not a fan of Rohit and if someone like Tiwary was fit and in good form, I wouldn't even have picked him but to pick Rahane ahead of him despite Rohit clearly outperforming him in NZ??
Rahane's first 16 ODIs came as an opener and his record there is no better than in the middle order

was Rahane given to open or even bat in top 3 ?..that his game is most suited for ?
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:04 pm

KP_fan wrote:
ShankyCricket wrote:3 seamers in t20 in B'desh? Dhoni could not get our seamers to deliver even delivered in SA and NZ.
I think our part timers and dibbly dobbers like Binny would do better.

see correction Re: seamers

also I have named the ODI team not T20
Sorry, I was replying to msp's response to my t20 XI in which he said my XI is a bowler short and that he'd pick another seamer for Binny/Raina.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:08 pm

Not many of us here are Rohit Fans, but we have to live with the reality of him playing and hope for the best. Since he was a total disaster as a middle order, and a qualified success as an opener, there is no point putting him back to the middle order. He can't keep the singles going regularly, that is a problem at the top, that is even more so in the middle order. So if Sharma plays, he has to open. Then Pujara and Kohli, or Kohli and Pujara at 3 and 4.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:10 pm

msp83 wrote:Not many of us here are Rohit Fans, but we have to live with the reality of him playing and hope for the best. Since he was a total disaster as a middle order, and a qualified success as an opener, there is no point putting him back to the middle order. He can't keep the singles going regularly, that is a problem at the top, that is even more so in the middle order. So if Sharma plays, he has to open. Then Pujara and Kohli, or Kohli and Pujara at 3 and 4.

DROP ROHIT
If Dhoni goes.......Rohit may not survive eitehr
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:14 pm

KP_fan wrote:
shanky wrote:I'm not a fan of Rohit and if someone like Tiwary was fit and in good form, I wouldn't even have picked him but to pick Rahane ahead of him despite Rohit clearly outperforming him in NZ??
Rahane's first 16 ODIs came as an opener and his record there is no better than in the middle order

was Rahane given to open or even bat in top 3 ?..that his game is most suited for ?
He has played 16 ODIs as an opener doing nothing.
Even in this series, he came in to bat in the first 15 overs in all the matches (in the first 10 in 3 matches). You're talking as if he has been coming in to bat in the 45th over with no option but to slog from ball one. Sorry, he's had more than enough time to play a proper innings. There is no excuse for 4 single digit scores and a highest score of 35.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:14 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:Msp, why are you so down on Rayudu? He has played only 6 ODIs (5 innings). Let him have a fair run. If we can give Rahane 22 ODIs, Rayudu should at least get 10.
Shanki, call it a gut feel, I just don't see Rayudu as a sustained success as an international cricket. The lad is talented, but his FC record suggests serious underachievement. He's said to have a good record for MI in the IPL, yet his T-20 strike rate is nothing exceptional. In the limited opportunities he got for India, he hasn't gone on from starts or scored the runs at a decent clip. But I am not calling for axing him, he should certainly get a decent run, after all, the likes of Sachin Tendulkar seems to have rated him highly. Hopefully, his temperament is not fragile as I sense it to be.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:17 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

He has played 16 ODIs  as an opener doing nothing.
Even in this series, he came in to bat in the first  15 overs in all the matches (in the first 10 in 3 matches). You're talking as if he has been coming in to bat in the 45th over with no option but to slog from ball one. Sorry, he's had more than enough time to play a proper innings. There is no excuse for 4 single digit scores and a highest score of 35.

he scored a 90odd as an opner and dropped next game

he should get to open and about 7 games as an opener before dumping
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:20 pm

KP_fan wrote:
msp83 wrote:Not many of us here are Rohit Fans, but we have to live with the reality of him playing and hope for the best. Since he was a total disaster as a middle order, and a qualified success as an opener, there is no point putting him back to the middle order. He can't keep the singles going regularly, that is a problem at the top, that is even more so in the middle order. So if Sharma plays, he has to open. Then Pujara and Kohli, or Kohli and Pujara at 3 and 4.

DROP ROHIT
If Dhoni goes.......Rohit may not survive eitehr
Absolutely but for a good alternative. Not Rahane, who has already had his chances. Ideally, I'd like Manoj Tiwary at 4 or Rayudu at 4 and Kedar Jadhav at 6. Jadhav has a List A Average of over 50 and a S/R of over 110 and was the leading run scorer in the Ranji Trophy this season.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:25 pm

msp83 wrote:
ShankyCricket wrote:Msp, why are you so down on Rayudu? He has played only 6 ODIs (5 innings). Let him have a fair run. If we can give Rahane 22 ODIs, Rayudu should at least get 10.
Shanki, call it a gut feel, I just don't see Rayudu as a sustained success as an international cricket. The lad is talented, but his FC record suggests serious underachievement. He's said to have a good record for MI in the IPL, yet his T-20 strike rate is nothing exceptional. In the limited opportunities he got for India, he hasn't gone on from starts or scored the runs at a decent clip. But I am not calling for axing him, he should certainly get a decent run, after all, the likes of Sachin Tendulkar seems to have rated him highly. Hopefully, his temperament is not fragile as I sense it to be.
Yet you rate Rahane despite awful ODI performances?

Rayudu has a very good FC record since he returned from the ICL. He was known to be a bit immature before that.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:30 pm

KP_fan wrote:
ShankyCricket wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

He has played 16 ODIs  as an opener doing nothing.
Even in this series, he came in to bat in the first  15 overs in all the matches (in the first 10 in 3 matches). You're talking as if he has been coming in to bat in the 45th over with no option but to slog from ball one. Sorry, he's had more than enough time to play a proper innings. There is no excuse for 4 single digit scores and a highest score of 35.

he scored a 90odd as an opner and dropped next game

he should get to open and about 7 games as an opener before dumping
He got 10 ODIs in a row at the start of his career. Averaged a shade over 30 at a S/R of barely 75

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:33 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:
msp83 wrote:
Yet you rate Rahane despite awful ODI performances?

Rayudu has a very good FC record since he returned from the ICL. He was known to be a bit immature before that.
Its just not about the numbers that I am not so convinced about Rayudu as my earlier post makes clear. I doubt whether he has the temperament for international cricket. And in terms of technique, I think Rahane is better, and in terms of IPL record as well as FC record, Rahane is better. But again, as I said, Rayudu's numbers are secondary, its the temperament that I am not sure of. Despite my doubts, I am reserving judgment on him for now.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down