The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hugo Southwell: Wasps and Scotland full-back retires at 33

+7
doctor_grey
Hound of Harrow
funnyExiledScot
GLove39
TJ
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
R!skysports
11 posters

Go down

Hugo Southwell: Wasps and Scotland full-back retires at 33 Empty Hugo Southwell: Wasps and Scotland full-back retires at 33

Post by R!skysports Fri 14 Feb 2014, 3:02 pm

Looks like his knee injury has done him in

While not the most exciting full back, was a solid player and we thank him for his contribution

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26193866

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Hugo Southwell: Wasps and Scotland full-back retires at 33 Empty Re: Hugo Southwell: Wasps and Scotland full-back retires at 33

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 14 Feb 2014, 3:03 pm

Good ole Shuggy clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Hugo Southwell: Wasps and Scotland full-back retires at 33 Empty Re: Hugo Southwell: Wasps and Scotland full-back retires at 33

Post by TJ Fri 14 Feb 2014, 3:05 pm

I always rated him and another whole hearted player. Shame for him to retire

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 14 Feb 2014, 3:07 pm

Farewell HUGOOOOOOOO

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 14 Feb 2014, 3:08 pm

Good player in his day Southwell, and a far better player than most fans gave him credit for. When permitted to run with the ball, he was a good attacking player. My view of his Scotland career is that he was often under orders to kick rather than run. Whilst he was a good footballer, we never really saw him drop the hammer in terms of his potential, and you always left Murrayfield feeling that he had more to give.

CP at 10 and Southwell at 15 would have been my key backs through the 2000s given the choice.

Anyway, I wish him all the best for whatever he has planned.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 14 Feb 2014, 4:08 pm

He was always one that got the brunt of our frustration, sometimes deserved, other times no so much

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri 14 Feb 2014, 5:45 pm

Shug was much admired during his time at Wasps. A wholehearted player and an excellent club captain. A number of Wasps youngsters benefited from his experience, and he did a lot to help a young and battered squad avoid relegation 3 seasons ago (awarded Players player of the season).

Shug is an absolute gent to boot and made a point of shaking every Wasps fans hand when the players finished their post match meal at Mogliano in the Amlin last season.

All the best fella - you left a 'positive shadow' wherever you went.

thumbsup

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 15 Feb 2014, 4:21 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Good player in his day Southwell, and a far better player than most fans gave him credit for. When permitted to run with the ball, he was a good attacking player. My view of his Scotland career is that he was often under orders to kick rather than run. Whilst he was a good footballer, we never really saw him drop the hammer in terms of his potential, and you always left Murrayfield feeling that he had more to give.

CP at 10 and Southwell at 15 would have been my key backs through the 2000s given the choice.

I agree, always felt Southwell was a very good player. And I also would have liked to see him at fullback and Paterson at fly half. I always thought I was in the minority thinking that. And he seemed to be going real well at Wasps until his injury. Anyone know what it was?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sat 15 Feb 2014, 4:44 pm

Hugo who?

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 15 Feb 2014, 6:28 pm

A very good player who should be proud of his Scotland career. I sometimes felt he was slightly introverted and seemed to take the conservative option rather than going for broke, as the Aussies say, "Don't die wondering". But a good player for Scotland nonetheless.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 16 Feb 2014, 2:22 am

doctor_grey wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Good player in his day Southwell, and a far better player than most fans gave him credit for. When permitted to run with the ball, he was a good attacking player. My view of his Scotland career is that he was often under orders to kick rather than run. Whilst he was a good footballer, we never really saw him drop the hammer in terms of his potential, and you always left Murrayfield feeling that he had more to give.

I agree, always felt Southwell was a very good player.  And I also would have liked to see him at fullback and Paterson at fly half.  I always thought I was in the minority thinking that.  And he seemed to be going real well at Wasps until his injury.  Anyone know what it was?    

Hamstring injury Doc. I think Hound has summed him up well. Top Man.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 17 Feb 2014, 12:45 am

All the best to Hugo, very good player for Edinburgh in scotland. Still remember hearing the "Hugo,Hugoooo" chants that used to be heard at Murrayfield. Great servant for Edinburgh and Scotland.

Was speaking to him before the Scotland England game last week and sounds as if he has had a nightmare with the injury. Seemed to be clear and be about ready to commence full training and then it would flare up again. Can only run at about 30% speed still.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down