The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand nominated for Laureus Team Of The Year Award

+18
andyi
Biltong
No 7&1/2
Pal Joey
fa0019
Cyril
beshocked
aucklandlaurie
kiakahaaotearoa
rainbow-warrior
blackcanelion
GloriousEmpire
mystiroakey
Taylorman
SecretFly
Scratch
quinsforever
disneychilly
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Zealand nominated for Laureus Team Of The Year Award - Page 2 Empty New Zealand nominated for Laureus Team Of The Year Award

Post by disneychilly Wed Feb 26 2014, 19:14

First topic message reminder :

Laureus World Team of the Year nominees:

All Blacks (NZ) Rugby Union - first time a national team achieved a 100% record in professional era
Bayern Munich (Germany) Football - won Champions League, Bundesliga and German Cup treble
Brazil Men's Football Team - won Confederations Cup, beating World Cup holders Spain in final
Bob & Mike Bryan (US) Tennis - completed doubles 'Golden Slam' - four Grand Slams and Olympic gold
Miami Heat (US) Basketball - won NBA title for second straight year, beating San Antonio Spurs in final
Red Bull (Austria) Motor Racing - won fourth straight Formula One Constructors' World Championship

Guess those Bryan boys would be the biggest rivals. Bayern had a stellar year too and are obviously in the biggest sport, but you can't do any more than have a 100% record can you? Especially not in a sport as competitive as rugby.

Who would you guys want to win? Interesting to see the opinions of those non-Kiwis where rugby is their favourite sport.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

New Zealand nominated for Laureus Team Of The Year Award - Page 2 Empty Re: New Zealand nominated for Laureus Team Of The Year Award

Post by fa0019 Thu Feb 27 2014, 17:19

Not a fan of the Bryan twins getting it. Doubles is 2nd tier.... if the best male solo players played doubles they would probably be amongst the best. The davis cup often proves this.

its like giving the IRB giving a club of the year award to the wnners of the HC!

Run

fa0019

Back to top Go down

New Zealand nominated for Laureus Team Of The Year Award - Page 2 Empty Re: New Zealand nominated for Laureus Team Of The Year Award

Post by mystiroakey Thu Feb 27 2014, 17:30

Taylorman wrote:So what makes B Munichs CL win last year different from any other CL win? In other words, why doesnt the CL winner win this every year? They lost a pool match so it can't be an unbeaten thing? And how is the CL the toughest competition in the world- is the World cup easier? Or are we splitting hairs...club vs national? there are different grades of toughest in the world in this sport?

well from a fans POV. they did play exceptionally good football.

Chelsea won the year before- but in a very attritional way.

I still agree with your sentiment though.. It isn't really any better than any other team winning it.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Feb 27 2014, 18:23

yeah its a good discussion I suppose but sooooo subjective. A little like the IRB player of the year but at least its the same sport and the judges are familiar with it. And even they get it wrong sometimes. Would love to hear the supporting tennis pair judges convincing discussion with the Bayern M one.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 27 2014, 18:57

I'd always rate international success over club success given clubs can buy theirs in modern sport. Don't get me wrong though, I still celebrate club sport and particularly epl. But the Man City, Chelsea, Real, Bayern Munich et al. of the world take a bit of fun out of club sport by mopping up the best players. I doubt the ABs will win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Feb 27 2014, 20:24

Yeah I suppose there's got to be credibility. Football fans will call it the mickey mouse awards should the tennis pair get it, perhaps less so the AB's.

The power of clubs and their money to undermine International sport by not being restricted to a players residential circs is plaguing every major sport- Football is the spearhead, but Cricket, Basketball, League, Rugby etc are all being undercut by club competitions.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu Feb 27 2014, 21:07

Football is fixed anyway.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 28 2014, 08:38

mystiroakey wrote:SA cricket team should have got a Nom!

Shut the front door!

What about the Dove Men's Care Award... who would be the nominations for that?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Feb 28 2014, 08:41

Dove mens care award- even if i google that I doubt it will tell me anything substantial. What are you on about dude?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 28 2014, 08:42

You Googled it?  Laugh 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Feb 28 2014, 09:01

No i didnt!

thats my point. What the heck are you on about bud!

SA test team got to number 1 in the world by beating the no.1 team in there own back yard- that for my money is a very big deal and much better achievement than the tennis pairs or Brazil basically non year.

But Dove mends care awards- what the heck are you on about?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Feb 28 2014, 09:05

Linebreaker wrote:

Shut the front door!

What about the Dove Men's Care Award... who would be the nominations for that?

Liftetime achievement award: Larry Bird

Avian flu award for disservice to birds: Chris Ashton

Dove Men's Care Awards:

Coach of the Year: Steve Hansen (Shag)

Rookie of the Year: Dominic Bird

Player to return from injury: Cory Jane

TGIF  Run 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 28 2014, 09:06

clap Laugh Now you're talking!

Working from home today mate?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Feb 28 2014, 09:09

I wouldn't call what I do work.  Very Happy 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Feb 28 2014, 09:10

Its either me being completely thick (probably) or you lot going crazy or minor crazy with some odd antipodean talk..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Feb 28 2014, 09:11

It's definitely one of those mate.  Hug 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Apr 30 2014, 08:02

Well done Bayern Munich...fantastic ambassadors for the trophy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2616240/Bayern-Munich-0-4-Real-Madrid-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Sergio-Ramos-double-Los-Blancos-make-Champions-League-final.html

(perhaps they should give it back?)

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed Apr 30 2014, 08:21

They were several steps ahead last year particularly under Heynckes and have lost 6 times (?) this season. Still a fantastic team.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Wed Apr 30 2014, 08:38

When it comes to football all of rugby union takes 2nd place never mind on team. When it comes to world popularity the AB's would be well down the league behind many many football clubs, both in support and finances.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Apr 30 2014, 08:49

Laugh 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed Apr 30 2014, 08:51

Any international side is going to have to do something really exceptional to get ahead of a club side ie world cup year as they play so few matches in comparison.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Apr 30 2014, 10:05

How about the Roos keeping the Kiwis tryless in the RLWC? Phenomenal performance.

That was the most comprehensive display I've ever seen in either a rugby union or rugby league match against relatively strong opposition... (supposedly).

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Apr 30 2014, 10:47

Biltong wrote:
 Laugh 

true! if a champs to chumps team like BM can win it...well...who can't? Did Eddie the Eagle win this? thumbsup 

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Apr 30 2014, 10:50

Atletico should be there! To be pipped by the ABs. For all the rest, there's MasterCard.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Wed Apr 30 2014, 16:57

Taylorman wrote:
Biltong wrote:
 Laugh 

true! if a champs to chumps team like BM can win it...well...who can't? Did Eddie the Eagle win this? thumbsup 

Champs to Chumps? I'm guessing you don't follow football much.

Yes, they were outstanding last year and did the European treble. Champs definately.

This year, they won the Bundersliga in a record fewest number of games without losing a game until after the title was won. They made the last 4 of the Champions League which is the highest standard tournament of the most competitive game on the planet. They are in the final of the German Cup. So could still win a domestic double.

Not as good as last year but Chumps they ain't. Most teams in any sport would love to have a season like that!

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Apr 30 2014, 17:03

Linebreaker wrote:How about the Roos keeping the Kiwis tryless in the RLWC? Phenomenal performance.

That was the most comprehensive display I've ever seen in either a rugby union or rugby league match against relatively strong opposition... (supposedly).

Wouldn't that be a bit like awarding the USA Basketball/Baseball team the trophy for any respected tournament win. When their are only 3 serious teams in a global competition.... its not really a competition.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Apr 30 2014, 17:04

Linebreaker wrote:How about the Roos keeping the Kiwis tryless in the RLWC? Phenomenal performance.

Whats rugby league???

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Apr 30 2014, 19:14

It's like rugby union, if the flanks got red cards
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Apr 30 2014, 19:14

It's like rugby union, if the flanks got red cards
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu May 01 2014, 09:53

one game is like chess the other is like draughts.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu May 01 2014, 10:10

or even plain old checkers

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu May 01 2014, 10:22

morel like connect 4 if you ask me  Run 

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu May 01 2014, 10:40

or ker plunk...

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu May 01 2014, 14:59

Buckeroo

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat May 03 2014, 03:17

LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Whats rugby league???

You get this when its a sport only two country's ever play LB... Hug 

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat May 03 2014, 05:31

3.25 including England and Ireland...  Whistle 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat May 03 2014, 06:26

sssh...was waiting for a bite!....

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03 2014, 07:11

Must be hard to get up for international games for the Kangaroos, they're so good. They have a couple of plays that they unleash that are dead cert tries. It's just a formality. Quite depressing for opposing fans but you have to give the Australians credit for being in a league of their own. Last night, the kiwis played with passion and had a sniff but all along there was that feeling of dread.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun May 04 2014, 02:55

Kangaroos will never get nominated. Leagues to small a sport and the international game is a bit of an afterthought. Home refs, players unavailable, scheduled when they can be bothered. Love watching the game, but it's not going anywhere at the moment. Probably a great example of why you have to have a viable international game if you want to expand your market. Cricket has been in the awards, one of the Aussie teams won in the past.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2