The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster vs. Northampton- Match Thread

+3
WillyGilly
PenfroPete
Notch
7 posters

Go down

Leinster vs. Northampton- Match Thread Empty Leinster vs. Northampton- Match Thread

Post by Notch Fri 20 May 2011, 12:16 pm

This is the place for all discussion of this weekend's Heineken Cup Final between Leinster Rugby and Northampton Saints.

Leinster have named a strong side with injury doubts Richardt Strauss and Brian O'Driscoll both passed fit. For Saints, the versatile Calum Clark slots in at blindside to replace the injured Tom Wood.

LEINSTER

15: Isa Nacewa
14: Shane Horgan
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Luke Fitzgerald
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Cian Healy
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Nathan Hines
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Sean O'Brien
8: Jamie Heaslip

Replacements;
16: Jason Harris-Wright
17: Heinke van der Merwe
18: Stan Wright
19: Devin Toner
20: Shane Jennings
21: Isaac Boss
22: Ian Madigan
23: Fergus McFadden

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS

15 Ben Foden
14 Chris Ashton
13 Jon Clarke
12 James Downey
11 Paul Diggin
10 Stephen Myler
9 Lee Dickson

1 Soane Tonga’uiha
2 Dylan Hartley (capt)
3 Brian Mujati
4 Courtney Lawes
5 Christian Day
6 Calum Clark
7 Phil Dowson
8 Roger Wilson

Replacements
16 Brett Sharman
17 Alex Waller
18 Tom Mercey
19 Mark Sorenson
20 Mark Easter
21 Stuart Commins
22 Shane Geraghty
23 Joe Ansbro

REFEREE: Romain Poite (FFR), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Jerome Garces, Pascal Gauzere (both FFR), 4th OFFICIAL: Nigel Owens (WRU), 5th OFFICIAL: Bernard dal Maso (FFR), TMO: Giulio De Santis (FIR)

Last edited by Hobo on Fri 20 May 2011, 1:37 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Update on teams)
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Leinster vs. Northampton- Match Thread Empty Re: Leinster vs. Northampton- Match Thread

Post by PenfroPete Fri 20 May 2011, 12:19 pm

In BOD we trust Yahoo
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Leinster vs. Northampton- Match Thread Empty Re: Leinster vs. Northampton- Match Thread

Post by Notch Fri 20 May 2011, 12:20 pm

I don't think McFadden will go to the RWC now. Or Boss. They just need a big game to put them in contention. Not easy when you can't make the team.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Fri 20 May 2011, 12:22 pm

As expected really. I thought Fergus was excellent against us last week, Fitzgerald took his try well, but I still think of him as a liability. Saints might trump the front row but Leinster are surely superior in practically every other aspect.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 May 2011, 12:47 pm

Jennings on the bench? I bet Gibson is furious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 20 May 2011, 12:50 pm

I've added the Saints team to the OP.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 20 May 2011, 1:25 pm

Jennings should be on the bench.The lineout is where Leinster can dominate.Good to have as many options as possible.Come on Leinster,bring back the Heino for the laads roysh.

Oh my Gaaaw,lads do it for Chilli,so we can go on the lock after loike..

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 20 May 2011, 2:28 pm

Unlike the Six Nations, the decision on whether the roof will be closed or open comes down to the ERC and not the two coaches. The Irish Times are suggesting the roof will be closed.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GloucesterBear Fri 20 May 2011, 2:42 pm

The excitement of this match.

Has to be Leinster's, Northampton just don't have the experience in the big finals of late Leinster past winners and can brush any side away.

O'Brien and Heaslip, a front three which were excellent against Leicester and O'Driscoll and an on form Nacewa in the backs.

Northampton will score a try but Leinster could run away with this in the end, comfortable victory in my view for the team from Ireland.
GloucesterBear
GloucesterBear

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Fri 20 May 2011, 3:13 pm

Horgan 6' 4" -v- Diggin 5' 8" - expect to see Jonny launch a few cross kicks towards Shaggy!

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 20 May 2011, 4:20 pm

Absolutely! But that can be a dangerous strategy if ye get it wrong because give Diggin a bit of space and he will make the break. Often a 50/50 ball on the wing can result in a try at either end.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 20 May 2011, 4:43 pm

I can see Leinsters backrow causing havoc for Saints. Wood is a massive loss and SOB and Heaslip will be hard to stop. Northampton rely on guys like Dowson, Downey, Clarke and the props to get over the gainline but i actually think Leinster will stop the centres and backrow in particular.

It will be interesting to see if Northampton can change game plan if they cant use the big men but Leinster should just have too much imo

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down