The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonights Action (Spoilers)

+16
spencerclarke
mobilemaster8
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
kingraf
catchweight
Boxtthis
milkyboy
jimdig
John Bloody Wayne
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Strongback
alanqlm
rob-glos
hampo17
88Chris05
Hammersmith harrier
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tonights Action (Spoilers) - Page 2 Empty Tonights Action (Spoilers)

Post by hampo17 Sat 08 Mar 2014, 7:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Live on Boxnation now, Ryan Farrag and Jason Booth the first fight up. Farrag took the first three rounds easily, Booth upped the pace in the fourth and had the better of it, but Farrag landed a big shot that stopped Booth with 30 seconds of the round left.

Decent fight to start the night.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tonights Action (Spoilers) - Page 2 Empty Re: Tonights Action (Spoilers)

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 09 Mar 2014, 6:01 am

Hhhmmm.....Bit of a soft stoppage for me, although with Hunter's concerns between rounds I can see why Weeks jumped in. But I'd have liked to have seen Angulo given a bit more time. Early in the round, he took the shot well and remained in fighting poise....But I guess you could say that if Alvarez is able to load up like that and still land flush, then Angulo was a busted flush.

Anyway, very impressed with Alvarez there. Make no mistake, this was a risky assignment for someone coming off a loss, particularly a loss in which a lot of people felt he'd been 'exposed' to some degree. If that's his last fight at a Light-Middle (well, sort of Light-Middle!) then it's a good way to sign off. Been a bit sceptical of the lad but can't take anything away from him there - he did a job on Angulo.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 09 Mar 2014, 6:05 am

Don't see why they are booing Canelo, he dominated and put on a show and wanted to continue, it was the ref who should be booed even if he was justified

Hope he stays at 154 as he's too short for 160

Bring on Lara or kirkland next

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 09 Mar 2014, 6:07 am

Very good fight! A little dissapointed with Angulo's inability to impose and show some power but very impressed with Canelo's composure.

Agree with the stoppage. If you showed me that round on its own I'd disagree with it, but having seen it all it was hard to watch a guy get constantly rocked. Saved from himself. Brave, tough man. Possibly prematurely past it.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 09 Mar 2014, 7:45 am

Alvarez smashed him. The stoppage was a mercy stoppage, can't complain. My complaint would be with hunter. He's brought nothing to Angulo's game. His corner instruction seemed to be to shout at his man. Sows ear and silk purse does come to mind, but as a former trainer of the year I suspect he's Enzo calzaghe type, he'll get his man in shape, but blessed with an incredible talent in his stable, who makes him look a little better than he is.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:11 am

Truss is going to love this.

I'll start. Alfredo the dog is a nobody, Alvarez just beat a face first plodder. Alvarez is still a nobody. So floyd beat a nobody. Floyd is still a cherry picking fake. Discuss.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 11:05 am

Not seen the fight yet but read the reports sounds a bit one sided but the fight night weights of both of them are ridiculous; Alvarez 174lbs and Angulo at 170lbs, that's absurd.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 09 Mar 2014, 11:29 am

Yeh, Light heavy's weighing in as light middles. Welcome to modern boxing.

Alvarez v ggg anyone?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sun 09 Mar 2014, 11:44 am

Angulo did what he always does - comes forward relentlessly. Most of the time he simply overwhelms opponents. Against better boxers e.g. Lara and Canelo, he gets beat up, but is so tough that he forces his way into the fight. In that sense, he's a great yardstick.

Canelo impressed me last night/this morning. He and Lara are legitimately 'the best of the rest' at 154 now. I expect Canelo to go for big money fights now. The Cotto-Martinez winner is an obvious one. It would be a big deal for Canelo to have a shot at being MW champ. He probably won't have many better chances than against an aging and injury-carrying Martinez (or a past it and small Cotto). It would be fitting for Martinez to go out with two huge paydays as well. Once that dust has settled then surely GGG will get his shot? I don't think it'll happen before then. Between Canelo, Cotto, and Martinez there's too much money and, crucially, they are all fights where the fighters (and promoters) will feel as though they have a decent chance of winning. I think the best we'll see from GGG is to clear out the rest of the MW top ten - Murray, Geale and the likes. They whole thing should make for exciting viewing. I certainly enjoyed last night's action.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 09 Mar 2014, 12:13 pm

I don't expect it boxthis. Just looks maybe the most interesting of the viable fights out there at middle. Martinez is still the man on paper and i guess the obvious meal ticket, assuming he doesn't drop the ball against cotto.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 09 Mar 2014, 12:35 pm

Not sure either Cotto or Martinez could take the heat that canelo was throwing with last night, he was really throwing with intent

I know neither of them 2 would be as easy to tag as angulo, very few are, but if they get caught, especially to the body I can't see em keeping up with canelo

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sun 09 Mar 2014, 12:46 pm

jimdig wrote: My complaint would be with hunter. He's brought nothing to Angulo's game. His corner instruction seemed to be to shout at his man. Sows ear and silk purse does come to mind, but as a former trainer of the year I suspect he's Enzo calzaghe type.

I was very disappointed in his instruction too. Even to my amateur eyes, I thought it was very obvious that something should have been said to Angulo about how he was following Canelo around. Lots of his relentless forward pressure was wasted because he didn't cut the ring off effectively. I can understand that maybe he had other worries with all the shots he was taking, but that's what your corner should be for: to offer useful outside observation. Canelo was allowed to circle left away from Angulo's left hook all night. Instead of taking a right step - or throwing the odd looping right - to cut him off, he just followed him around the ring. I thought this would've been an obvious piece of instruction. Hunter mentioned keeping the pressure on and 'hitting him everywhere' a few times, but I can't understand why he wasn't just a little bit more technical/directed with his advice.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 09 Mar 2014, 12:49 pm

Alvarez not making weight was BS. They really need to get a grip on this issue now. Its become a nonsense that i just adding a whole new exploitable dimension into boxing. There are enough weight classes that boxers dont need to be dehydrating and rehydrating so much. Same day weigh in were far better.

If they do insist on perservering with the current rubbish system then they need to start properly implementing rules. Simple things like big penalties for missing weight, being unable to weigh more than the weight class above after 36 hours and if you fail to make weight you should be banned from fighting in that weight class for 12 months.

Who has the best diet pills and doctors is almost as important as who is the better boxer. Something the wealthy boxers are easily able to abuse.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 12:53 pm

What about when both boxers miss weight and weigh two divisions higher?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 09 Mar 2014, 12:56 pm

Interesting about the rumours of the fighters being 174 (Alvarez) and 170 (Angulo) on fight night. According to Buncey on BoxNation last night, both were contractually obliged by the NSAC to be no more than 168 a few hours before the fight, which both managed to do.

Looks like they STILL managed to find a way to squeeze an extra few lb on despite that. Does make you wonder where it'll all end as it's becoming a farce.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 09 Mar 2014, 12:58 pm

Angulo would not have missed weight if the weigh in rules hadnt been changed do you to Alvarez knowing he was off weight.

And regardless. No boxer should ever be rehydrating more than the limit for the weight class above. It should be flat out disallowed. If you fight at light middleweight you should not be rehydrating to above the middeweight limit. If you are you dont belong in the division.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 1:08 pm

If you said to Angulo, don't worry about losing that little bit of weight we'll up the limit and i'll pay you 100k because after all we're both going to blow up and it's a non title fight anyway. He'd say yes and he did say yes, both have gained out of it.

The thing is Chris we're talking about Froch and Groves fight night weights there pretty much, two divisions higher, that can't be good for your body.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 09 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm

Yes, Alvarez buying his way out of being unable to make weight properly. Completely wrong and rubbish for the sport. Rather than going on, risking being drained and potentially losing the fight as punishment for his own weight issues he just threw Angulo some cash knowing Angulo would have to accept. Total BS.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 09 Mar 2014, 2:00 pm

Thought Alverez's punching was excellent. Quick hands and a good variety of punches.  On the downside his footwork is poor, he's rooted to the canvas. The south paw Lara with decent footwork could drag Canelo around the ring.

Angulo fought the wrong fight but maybe that's all he has in his arsenal. Standing in front of a guy that is out gunning you doesn't seem smart.

I thought Alverez had to start conserving energy from the 5 round which is why Angulo started to have the odd pocket of success.

I learned nothing about Canelo tonight that I didn't already know although I have to give him credit for the way he put his shots together albeit against a very linear opponent.

The stoppage was weak but Virgil Hunter shouting in the corner he was only giving his man one more round probably coloured the refs thinking along with the doctor having a close look at the cuts. The stoppage didn't really effect the outcome of the fight in terms of probabilities in my view so I'm not too bothered by it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 09 Mar 2014, 2:11 pm

Canelo to face the winner of Cotto-Martinez is pretty logical, but he said he's fighting three times this year, so I assume he's to have a filler in between.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 09 Mar 2014, 5:30 pm

Just caught the fight and thought Tony Weeks should not have stopped the fight..... VIRGIL HUNTER SHOULD HAVE!

Angulo was slow to move and throw, his shots lacked everything and he was looking a bit embarrassing.

It makes me question Hunter altogether, is he really that great of a trainer?? Is it just Ward that over compliments him because he has done zippo for Khan and Angulo actually looks like he's got worse
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 09 Mar 2014, 5:48 pm

Angulo had everything taken away from him by Lara and you could clearly see how shot he was last night.

From the opening bell Canelo just destroyed him.

Was sad to see, hope he retired now as he cant continue taking these type of beatings.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 6:26 pm

Watching it now, Angulo the same as he always is slow and walking forward but having too much heavy punches coming his way to do anything. Hunter was awful in his corner, he said nothing of any relevance, looks like a one trick pony as a trainer at the moment.

Alvarez wasn't wasting a lot, throwing good combinations but was an opponent picked to make him look good, even though was an impressive performance. Here's hoping Lara gets Alvarez or Mayweather soon.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 6:53 pm

Santa Cruz just too big and busy for Mijares who i've never been convinced by above super flyweight, he looks far too small for the weight. He'll have learned a lot from an opponent who's tricky and has an absolutely rock solid chin, wouldn't rule out Frampton giving him trouble on that showing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 09 Mar 2014, 7:35 pm

Hampo how did Ryan Farrag look? Although steadily in decline Booth is always game so I imagine it was a decent yard stick for Ryan. He needs to keep busy now and build on the momentum.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 09 Mar 2014, 7:37 pm

Impressed with Canelo , his variety was sensational however as Strongback alluded his feet are wooden, as he gets older he'll have problems closing the distance on any slick mover. Thought Santa Cruz was excellent as always, Frampton will have to go some to beat him. Carl is more than capable but at this stage I'd have it 60-40 in favour of LSC , be superb if they could get him to Belfast.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 09 Mar 2014, 8:48 pm

I think the Alvarez glass chin whispers can be hushed to silence for now.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:14 pm

Didn't those whispers mysteriously disappear when az mysteriously disappeared?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:16 pm

What did happen to az? Did he leave of his own accord?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:17 pm

Nobody can prove I killed him.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:18 pm

I never found out what happened to manos either.JBW did you do him in as well? He was a good poster.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:20 pm

I'd have been the one disappearing if I'd crossed manos, he was way out of my league!

Have a feeling the standard of debate dipped a fair way below his standards.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:24 pm

Manos made the standard of debate dip JBW, far too up his own arse for me and gave absolutely no credit to Jimmy Wilde which is just unforgivable.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:29 pm

I liked manos. He was clued up. Its always good to have a difference of opinion as well HH.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:32 pm

I think Oxy tore him to shreds with regards to Wilde and he's not been back since after being shown up, got outed doing exactly the same thing I often get accused of doing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:32 pm

Thats not right - Manos said he couldn't give credit because he couldn't make out how good his opponents were - a lot of them being ordinary part timers and not that good in the first place. I know knowing what you're talking about is strange for us but surely that's a fair enough view to hold.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:36 pm

That was his view and in return Oxy pointed out that Boxrec has incomplete records for fighters at the turn of the century especially young Zulu Kid who had fought immeasurably more times than listed.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:39 pm

Manos was one of the best posters we've had on here or the old Beeb board, for my money. Wish he was still around, and don't think I ever saw him even get close to being torn to shreds by anyone, personally!

His big debate over Wilde with Oxring and Coxy came a long time before he left the boards, if I remember. And in fairness Manos was right to point out that, when it came to that particular debate, neither of that pair actually gave him a proper reply or reason to their arguments (well Oxy did eventually, but it proved way beyond Coxy's abilities!), just a load of dismissive attitude instead.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm

I liked how he could debate but keep calm at all times. A lot of people on here could have learnt a lot in that aspect. I take it he left of his own accord.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:47 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one Chris, I remember it the complete other way round.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:50 pm

Email him chris - get him back

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:07 pm

Think he's already been contacted, Shah. You never know, he might pop back up one day. Mind you, said the same about Klutey and Jimmy Stuart and it's looking like we'll never see hide nor hair of them again!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:12 pm

I do miss the input of those pair, Klutey had a way of putting people in their place quite easily, neither have been seen since Windys passing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:15 pm

Klute was a prolific poster on the BBC site but never even made it in to double figures here, I believe. Think he had a new job and another little'un which coincided with the shutdown of the Beeb site and the creation of v2 which meant his time was going to be a bit restricted.

Only problem with IJK was that he was a dirty, dirty Derby fan. He was probably an utterly horrible man as a result of this. But a fantastic poster!

Jimmy's work meant that he could be out of the country for long periods at a time, and I think Az just sapped his will a bit too much as well.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:16 pm

Nobody got a rise out of Manos. When somebody started trying to go all WUMish and use spurious reasoning he'd usually come back with a derisively simple response like, "Right."

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:17 pm

I think both of them popped by for Windys farewell. Would be nice to have the three of them back. Plus colonial lion, oxy, and more frequent visits from the captain.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:19 pm

Oh aye, Colonial Lion. Forgot about him - another one who knew his onions, though.

I want Bob to come back as well, if only for the reason that he was brimming with man love for Toney even more than I am, and it'd give milkyboy someone else to pick on.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:19 pm

Captain still posts regularly Shah just not on this section any more, personally I miss Young_Towzer and Waingro.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:19 pm

I always thought each year manos won the most laid back, least likely to get riled, poster award.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:21 pm

Manos was one of my many aliases.  I eventually tired of the reasoned and unflappable style of debate. It felt out of place on here. For now I'll continue to contribute irreverent codswallop under the milkyboy login. Bad luck guys.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:23 pm

Careful milky you are getting close to challenging JBW for wittiest poster. :-)

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next