The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo needs to step up to 160

+8
AlexHuckerby
Strongback
Hammersmith harrier
catchweight
jimdig
Gerry SA
John Bloody Wayne
inman124
12 posters

Go down

Canelo needs to step up to 160 Empty Canelo needs to step up to 160

Post by inman124 Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:15 pm

He has no tests left at LM, Floyd wont rematch anybody so thats out the question. Lara might box him for a round or 2 but wont be able to keep away. 160 has Martinez, GGG, Kid Chocolate and even our British lads. What you guys think?

inman124

Back to top Go down

Canelo needs to step up to 160 Empty Re: Canelo needs to step up to 160

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:23 pm

Given that the only backfoot operator he beat (narrowly) was utterly outclassed by Lara I can't see any way Alvarez is such a decisive favourite against the Cuban.

He should move up because he's not a light middle, not because he's in any way too good for the division.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:27 pm

Lara boxes Alvarez's ears off. Easily. 

Lara's hand speed and foot speed would expose Alvarez.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:39 pm

I think he'll move up in his next fight. It must kill him to make lmw. Floyd gave him 10 million reasons to make 154lbs, but he struggled before floyd and is struggling after.
I watched the Angulo fight thinking it was his test run for 160lbs. He could stand and over power Angulo when he wanted, but for most of the fight, he stood got off his combo, the skipped away at an angle. Seemed to me like the tactics he'll have to incorporate when his massive size advantage is taken away from him.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:47 pm

Maybe Kirkland at a catch weight next. He's got to keep himself relevant in ppv world and that fight sells. He won't fight Lara. Another loss so soon where he risks looking silly won't do the Canelo wouldn't do the Canelo bandwagon any good.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:55 pm

The winner of Cotto and Martinez will tempt him up. Martinez/Cotto would love to sign out with huge ppv pay days against Alvarez and it gives them another reason to steer clear of Golovkin. Wouldnt be surprised to see Victor Ortiz fed to him either, young hungry lion that he is.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:59 pm

jimdig wrote:I think he'll move up in his next fight. It must kill him to make lmw. Floyd gave him 10 million reasons to make 154lbs, but he struggled before floyd and is struggling after.
I watched the Angulo fight thinking it was his test run for 160lbs. He could stand and over power Angulo when he wanted, but for most of the fight, he stood got off his combo, the skipped away at an angle. Seemed to me like the tactics he'll have to incorporate when his massive size advantage is taken away from him.
He had no size advantage over Angulo though Jim and if he bulks up even slightly then he'll still outweigh GGG and Martinez by a fair bit.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 10 Mar 2014, 1:17 am

jimdig wrote:I think he'll move up in his next fight. It must kill him to make lmw. Floyd gave him 10 million reasons to make 154lbs, but he struggled before floyd and is struggling after.

Alright Jim. Have to say I didn't see Canelo skipping about too much. He's very flat footed and won't do well against a good fight with quick feet.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 10 Mar 2014, 1:23 am

Trouts good on his feet to be fair.

Lara has proven he is better mind you.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 10 Mar 2014, 6:54 am

Strongback wrote:

Alright Jim.  Have to say I didn't see Canelo skipping about too much.  He's very flat footed and won't do well against a good fight with quick feet.

Strongy, I know I'm going to get ridiculed for this, and maybe I was delirious when I watched the fight (cause I know Canelo is flat-footed) but there were parts of that fight where his style reminded me of cotto's against Margo or clottey, where he'd make a stand and skip away.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon 10 Mar 2014, 6:55 am

Canelo didn't struggle to make weight before mayweather against trout he was 153lbs on weigh in

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 10 Mar 2014, 7:16 am

Canelo is a huge LMW, and would probably be a massive MW, and top end SMW. I mean he's four inches shorter than Chavez and blew up to around about his weights, when Chavez was a middleweight. He's body has rebelled and I can't see how he keeps going at Super welterweight. Looked like he had almost nothing to give by way of fat at the weigh in, and still came in a pound over. Time to move up
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 9:29 am

Agree with Jim's analysis, tbh.

He was so much more lively than against Mayweather, then again that's largely to do with fighting a 'come forward in a straight line face first' guy like Angulo not the greatest master of range in the 21st century.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 10:16 am

Good win for the useless stiff...

Regarding his performance against Mayweather...I wrote before that fight that I'm not sure he believed he could win..Mayweather is a very intimidating presence for a young guy like Canelo.....

I think he could beat Quillin and Martinez as he is now...Not sure how good GGG is to be honest...

But Saturday shows good fighters don't become bad overnight

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down