The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has The Dust Settled?

+12
SecretFly
doctor_grey
Scratch
MissBlennerhassett
san
Notch
Scrumpy
Biltong
offload
lostinwales
LondonTiger
bedfordwelsh
16 posters

Go down

Has The Dust Settled? Empty Has The Dust Settled?

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:01 am

I tend not to come onto these boards for few days after a win or loss because most of the stuff on here is garbage said in the throws of elation or dejection so thought would see what it's like now.

My thoughts, well first off well played England best team won no complaints we never looked like winning and thank god for Halfpenny, hope he recovers quickly and fully.

Was it a bad performance - Yes but England were good and again just done basics very well and read us with ease.

Does it warrant the vitriol and some of the garbage written - No because that detracts from Englands performance.

Does it warrant wholesale changes ahead of the Scotland game - No but things need to change and more importantly a change in style as when plan A doesn't work we are just aimless and clueless - can we implement such a change in style before Scotland I doubt it but it needs to happen.

Changes for me and looking forward

James (Looking forward Gill when fit)
Hibbard (Owens to get more game time and Emyr Phillips brought on)
A Jones (Lee off bench and Mitchell, if Rh Jones is liked then play him in his natural position)
AWJ
Charteris (We have good options in Evans, Ball, Davies and not sure who the next lot are really)
Lydiate (Lewis Evans)
Faletau (I Jones, M Allen, D Baker)

Rees or Davies (Though doubt he will go outside squad so likely to be Phillips and RH Williams)
Biggar (Patchell, Tovey Morgan maybe, Shingler possibly but I still not think Hook is the answer)

North (Walker, Dirksen)
Roberts
JD (Currently lacking options here but we have O Williams, Sc Williams and Corey Allen)
Cuthbert

Li Williams (Byrne Dan Evans, Halfpenny to come back fit)

There are players out there some who have been on form all season so lets now bring them on
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Has The Dust Settled? Empty Re: Has The Dust Settled?

Post by LondonTiger Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:05 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I tend not to come onto these boards for few days after a win or loss because most of the stuff on here is garbage said in the throws of elation or dejection so thought would see what it's like now.

Been very little gloating or excuse making. In part because Welsh representation has been low on the boards, so WUMs from England have had no-one to take their bait, nor wummery coming from the other way.

Some constructive discussions about the way forward for Wales that really needed Welsh input, but in general along the lines of your later points.

also you seem to have only 7 forwards. So Warburton (my choice) or tipuric?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:07 am

It will be very interesting to see what you do in the absence of 1/2p - he does so much work behind the heavy brigade on top of the kicking.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:09 am

LondonTiger wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I tend not to come onto these boards for few days after a win or loss because most of the stuff on here is garbage said in the throws of elation or dejection so thought would see what it's like now.

Been very little gloating or excuse making. In part because Welsh representation has been low on the boards, so WUMs from England have had no-one to take their bait, nor wummery coming from the other way.

Some constructive discussions about the way forward for Wales that really needed Welsh input, but in general along the lines of your later points.

also you seem to have only 7 forwards. So Warburton (my choice) or tipuric?

Doh lol

Warburton still until our style changes. Tipuric is class but if we insist on a poor power based game then that's not his style for me he is an out and out 7/link man but if you cant utilise him as such then it negates the type of player he is.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:53 am

Bedford, I would look at things a little differently going forward and not so much for who plays against Scotland. (I think Gatland will make very few changes for the next match).

I am a typical pessimist and believe Wales have flattered to deceive of late. A team doesn't become poor overnight but I think we have been sliding for a while. In 2012 6N's we played one game of noteworthy performance followed by a shocking development tour and very indifferent AI season. This year we have played well once against possibly the worst French team I have ever seen.

So..imo we have second row and back row options that are good enough when on form to take us to the next WC. Same with our mid field and back three. However beyond our first choices we don't have much test level depth at 6, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.

We have significant problems in the front row, particularly 1 and 3 (some promising youngsters but do we have enough time to develop them to confident test standard before the WC?). Adam and Gethin are past their sell buy, some will says that's an over reaction, but that's my view. Also, we have no half backs that are good enough to take us into a WC.

What I find particularly gloomy (I told you I'm a pessimist) is that looking forward I see a useless under funded regional structure not fit to bring players through.

I think Gatland will make no more than three changes for Scotland, we'll probably win, and then we'll convince ourselves that all is well in the rose garden before we get beasted in SA. No doubt the wonderful Welsh optimists will have a different perspective on everything and why not. All the while I will be filling my empty glass to the half way mark with my favourite ale.  Crying or Very sad 

offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Has The Dust Settled?

Yep, it has been raining for 8 days straight in Jo'burg, not a speck of dust in sight. Everything is wet.  Laugh Sad 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:23 pm

Biltong wrote:Has The Dust Settled?

Yep, it has been raining for 8 days straight in Jo'burg, not a speck of dust in sight. Everything is wet.  Laugh Sad 

Thank goodness for your sunny disposition Biltong!
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 pm

I expect it to be very quite this week until Ireland win the Championship.

Last edited by Scrumpy on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Very Happy

I am over the depression of seeing rain mate, perhaps I will indeed survive in Europe.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Scrumpy wrote:I expect it to be very quite this week until Ireland win the Championship.

The interesting thing about that, is that IF Ireland do win the championship all the I-told-you-sos and gloating will directed from Irish fans to other Irish fans  Smile 

And if Ireland lose it, the same!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Notch wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:I expect it to be very quite this week until Ireland win the Championship.

The interesting thing about that, is that IF Ireland do win the championship all the I-told-you-sos and gloating will directed from Irish fans to other Irish fans  Smile 

And if Ireland lose it, the same!
The Irish are a complex nation.  Whistle 

South Africans are much more simple in that respect, we lose our wives, dogs, neighbours suffer because of it, we win, everyone goes to dinner, even the neighbour. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:49 pm

That may be Notch, but I'm sure there will be a few posters pointing out that England failed to win (again) and that we lost to possibly the worst French team in the last 20 odd years from what I can remember.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:52 pm

Probably not as many as you think to be honest. If there are any they'll be put down pretty quickly when the result at Twickenham comes up.

But to be honest, we're more than capable of having our own internal strife without needing to wum anyone else! Most of the Irish guys will be so overjoyed I can't think there will be much of that, unless someone new comes out of the woodwork.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 pm

I think the difference in quality between England and Ireland right now is very slim indeed so whichever side wins would be well advised to be humble about it because it could all change next year.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:18 pm

The difference between Ireland and England from an irish perspective was Sexton but Farrell is closing the gap rapidly.
The English forwards have far more ball carriers and the backs generally far more pace. These facets seem to be coming back into fashion rather than territory and set piece which whilst still very important are not necessarily the pillars of a game plan, which is refreshing to see.

Back to top Go down

Post by san Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:33 pm

The difference between Ireland and England from an irish perspective was Sexton but Farrell is closing the gap rapidly.
The English forwards have far more ball carriers and the backs generally far more pace. These facets seem to be coming back into fashion rather than territory and set piece which whilst still very important are not necessarily the pillars of a game plan, which is refreshing to see.

I think next years 6 nations Ireland team will have a bit of a different look about it.

No BOD for a start. Darcy? Payne in the centre?
Maybe 2 different wingers, though Trimble and K2 warrant their place just now.
In the pack, SOB will hopefully be back (Also Ferris if we are in dreamland), Henderson should be more of a fixture and with Cronin at back up for hooker and some young props coming through I think we will be better served with ball carriers.

san

Back to top Go down

Post by san Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:34 pm

Sorry, is this a thread about Wales?

san

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Bedford, I agree, not such a one sided game as made out, by as many Welsh fans as English by the way.

New front row and half back combinations and you'll be fine. Possibly left it a bit late for the World Cup, what do you think?

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Unless Rhys Patchell or Owen Williams have an immense season next year that their form cannot be ignored then maybe they'll be in contention.

I say this because Priestland was brought in as cover for fullback and flyhalf for the world cup warm up games and ended up first choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:27 pm

Rest in Priestland

He is not up to standard - dropping the ball ffs when not even challenged!, enough is enough

He has no confidence, no upper body and no ability to retain possession when isolated

Now is the time to give biggar the shirt and bring in Patchell/Tovey

I also think Gethin and Adam need to be phased out now, AWj and Lydiate under pressure. We need more carriers in the pack, right now we rely on Toby or kicking.

You can't release our backs with no tight 5 domination.

Get the youngsters up to speed now and we have a chance to regain our rightful psotion at the top of the 6 nations next year.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:34 pm

Here in Jersey we have not seen our lawns since before New Year's because of all the snow we have received. Still have at least 6 inches on the ground. It has been generally nut-cutting cold and our White Christmas (without the presents) is now becoming tiresome. Even worse, our local Rugby teams cannot practice or play because we cannot see the grass.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:58 pm

doctor_grey wrote:

Here in Jersey we have not seen our lawns since before New Year's because of all the snow we have received.  Still have at least 6 inches on the ground. It has been generally nut-cutting cold and our White Christmas (without the presents) is now becoming tiresome.  Even worse, our local Rugby teams cannot practice or play because we cannot see the grass.  

Don't complain Doc.

I have only ever seen snow three times in my life. And then less than an inch of it.  Hug 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Jersey?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:16 pm

offload wrote:...What I find particularly gloomy (I told you I'm a pessimist) is that looking forward I see a useless under funded regional structure not fit to bring players through...

You have to wonder to what degree that is affecting Gatland's thinking. If he's not confident that Welsh regional rugby is preparing players properly, then that would explain why he's been reluctant to bring them through. He had no problem blooding players when he needed to refresh the team before.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:39 pm

SecretFly wrote:Jersey?  
New Jersey

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:47 pm

I was there 4 weeks ago and the snow was indeed very deep and it was properly cold too. Not surprised to hear it hasn't melted yet.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:48 pm

I guessed that...but really had to ask to make sure my European weather forecasts weren't way off.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Biltong wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Here in Jersey we have not seen our lawns since before New Year's because of all the snow we have received.  Still have at least 6 inches on the ground. It has been generally nut-cutting cold and our White Christmas (without the presents) is now becoming tiresome.  Even worse, our local Rugby teams cannot practice or play because we cannot see the grass.  

Don't complain Doc.

I have only ever seen snow three times in my life. And then less than an inch of it.  Hug 

About 35 years ago, we had a decorating subcontractor fresh off the boat from Trinidad, we came out of a building in Central London one December and he asked what is all this white paper floating to the ground, he held out his hand and watched the snow flake slowly melt. The look on his face has stayed with me all this time, he had never seen snow before and it took a few seconds before he actually realised what it was.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:12 pm

MissBlennerhassett wrote:Bedford, I agree, not such a one sided game as made out, by as many Welsh fans as English by the way.

New front row and half back combinations and you'll be fine. Possibly left it a bit late for the World Cup, what do you think?

I don't neccessarily think its to late for the WC at least not in the front row James Hibbard and Owens have been in the squad regulalry so if we now introdue Gill more and Lee then I don't think that would upset things to much.

Half backs bit different maybe as there seems to no one player sticking his hand up, the form 9s this season have been Rees and Davies but they are not be considered.

I have given Priestland a bit of leeway but he is such a conifdence player that when that confidence goes like it seems to have done then he is very poor.

We then and Biggar and who? Hook, well not for me but neither him nor Biggar have been anything other than back up options so who then - Tovey, Patchell, Shingler maybe or Morgan even.

Which ever is chosen then he needs to be given same amount of chances that Priestland has had.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:40 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
Biltong wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Don't complain Doc.

About 35 years ago, we had a decorating subcontractor fresh off the boat from Trinidad, we came out of a building in Central London one December and he asked what is all this white paper floating to the ground, he held out his hand and watched the snow flake slowly melt. The look on his face has stayed with me all this time, he had never seen snow before and it took a few seconds before he actually realised what it was.

Just brilliant

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 pm

lostinwales wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
Biltong wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Don't complain Doc.

Just brilliant

Awesome to see it for the first time. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Biltong wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Don't complain Doc.

I have tonnes of the white stuff I would be happy to send you. No charge.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:15 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
Biltong wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Don't complain Doc.

I have tonnes of the white stuff I would be happy to send you.  No charge.  

Great, we just have to wait for next Wednesday, that is supposedly when the rain will abate, if you send it now it'll just melt. Smile
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:18 pm

I will pack it plastic bags and wait until Wednesday next. No problems.
Besides, I am not sure this stuff will melt until the nearby nuclear power plant goes supernova.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:22 pm

Laugh 

Really appreciate your efforts Doc, you will be delivering it in person?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Sure. I can put the snow in the overhead compartments on the plane.
I will also need to ask permission to take a road trip from a certain female.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:26 pm

No worries, just tell her the reward is the best boere braai you will ever have.

Tell her it is a cultural experiment sanctioned by the health department.

Last edited by Biltong on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Mum wants to make sure you've done your homework before you go out? Wink

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 pm

A cultural experiment. Got it.

And yes, mum always checks to make sure my homework is done and my teeth are brushed!

Ciao, gents. Just got called to work.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:41 pm

thumbsup 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down